Quez Watkins

bigdog54

He's a soft player. Fast but soft. We def need an improvement over him as a Fast deep ball threat.  What is the Tate favorite Bryce Treggs upto? 🙂

Replacement for Pop Tart needed. There's some kid in the draft from Tennessee with all the speeeeedddzzzzzz.

Wait, did you guys not see the defender hands on Watkins slowing him down just as he was about to make the catch? 

To call that a drop is crazy, a flag should have been thrown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Wait, did you guys not see the defender hands on Watkins slowing him down just as he was about to make the catch? 

Stop it, players hand check and slightly grab all the time. Watkins slowed down at the top of his route which would have made it a routine catch, although catching is not routine for Watkins. It went right through his hands. You have to make that catch especially if you cannot get separate on your route.

Watkins has shown that he cannot run crisp routes, fight for the ball, or catch. Honestly, I was hoping to see Greg Ward out there instead of Watkins. Teams aren’t afraid of his speed so he brings nothing to this offense.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Sometimes a play can be both. Yes he was held, but he also slowed down when he didn’t have to, jumped when he didn’t have to, and missed a pass that hit him right in the hands. For as bad as the call was against Bradbury it’s a joke they didn’t call that one on KC. Nevertheless, it’s a bigger joke Watkins (a receiver) dropped a pass that hit him squarely in the hands and the reason was he with his own mistakes made that play far more difficult than it needed to be.

14 hours ago, GoEagles614 said:

Watkins is fast but can’t catch the deep ball. He’s a 5th WR.

5th WRs need to be able to play special teams. Watkins can’t do that.

28 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

5th WRs need to be able to play special teams. Watkins can’t do that.

Well Pascal does. He could play KR/PR. And add another WR who actually likes to catch the ball. 

12 minutes ago, GoEagles614 said:

Well Pascal does. He could play KR/PR. And add another WR who actually likes to catch the ball. 

I’d rather keep Pascal than Watkins right now. Overall I think they need to draft someone with way more toughnesses than Watkins.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’d rather keep Pascal than Watkins right now. Overall I think they need to draft someone with way more toughnesses than Watkins.

He just doesn’t have football instinct. Even if he’s not catching the ball, if he draws PI that’s enough. He doesn’t do either. 

Cutting him will give us about +2.5m in salary cap. Which is behind Slay our biggest cap relief option. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoEagles614 said:

He just doesn’t have football instinct. Even if he’s not catching the ball, if he draws PI that’s enough. He doesn’t do either. 

Cutting him will give us about +2.5m in salary cap. Which is behind Slay our biggest cap relief option. 

He's not even worth Vet min

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Sometimes a play can be both. Yes he was held, but he also slowed down when he didn’t have to, jumped when he didn’t have to

This is amazing, someone will say something and everybody will start repeating it, forget whether or not if it's true. 

Personally, I've never seen Watkins leave his feet unnecessarily.

Understand this, I'm not a Watkins apologist, matter of fact, this thread was brought back to life by me criticizing Watkins lack of heart on the WR screen passes, but I'm fair with my criticisms, you guys don't seem to be a perfect example was coming down on him for those two balls in the Bills game, totally unjustified. 

Watkins did need to leave his feet for that ball, he was off the ground when DB grabbed is left shoulder pad.  Could the ball have been caught, probably so, did the contact have anything to do with him failing to make the catch, again, probably so and coming down on for not doing so is again, totally unjustified.

But I guess it's a hoodlum-arse Philly Thang, carry on hoodlums.

Watkins has not seem many passes coming to him.  He did not catch everything coming to him either.  With three productive receivers in the game, it would be hard for him to make an impact.  Speed is still of value and it is what he can bring, but that is not enough.  If they can get someone who has speed and can catch in the off-season, bring them in and let the best one make the roster for next season.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

This is amazing, someone will say something and everybody will start repeating it, forget whether or not if it's true. 

Personally, I've never seen Watkins leave his feet unnecessarily.

Understand this, I'm not a Watkins apologist, matter of fact, this thread was brought back to life by me criticizing Watkins lack of heart on the WR screen passes, but I'm fair with my criticisms, you guys don't seem to be a perfect example was coming down on him for those two balls in the Bills game, totally unjustified. 

Watkins did need to leave his feet for that ball, he was off the ground when DB grabbed is left shoulder pad.  Could the ball have been caught, probably so, did the contact have anything to do with him failing to make the catch, again, probably so and coming down on for not doing so is again, totally unjustified.

But I guess it's a hoodlum-arse Philly Thang, carry on hoodlums.

First and foremost the end of your comment is as dumb as they come and insulting for no reason whatsoever. Now agree do disagree on  if Watkins needed to leave his feet, but HE IS AN NFL WIDE RECEIVER! HIS JOB IS TO CATCH THE FOOTBALL ESPECIALLY WHEN IT HITS HIS HANDS! Stop making lame excuses because you like him. By the way you presume too much on your so called fair assessments, because your take on Smith is the worst on this board.

• Like 1

IMO, there was enough DPI to make that catch more difficult. I'm not crying because a flag wasn't thrown. It was, like they say, a bang-bang play. I just don't think that gets credited as a drop statistically. I feel like some people want to lash out at something for the loss and each group seems to have a specific "target" they want to direct their frustrations at. It takes a team to win and when they lose, they lose as a team as well. Nobody wins every play.

Heading into the offseason, I'm not overly concerned about Watkins. I believe what has been a frustrating season for him will motivate him to work hard and get better. He has a good leader that will put in the work with him. There's no reason we can't bring in competition for him, but I'm pretty confident that he'll rebound next season. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Stop it, players hand check and slightly grab all the time.

Unless KC needs a penalty at the end of a Super Bowl to ice the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vee said:

Unless KC needs a penalty at the end of a Super Bowl to ice the game.

Ya it was definitely holding but the refs were letting them play all game. That’s why it was a bad call, not because it was the end of the Super Bowl.

Just a reminder:

Watkins last season (click: Watch on YouTube)

This year was not great from him, but he can get back on track. Bring in some competition, but don't give up on him yet. Let's see how he responds in camp, preseason, etc...

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

IMO, there was enough DPI to make that catch more difficult. I'm not crying because a flag wasn't thrown. It was, like they say, a bang-bang play. I just don't think that gets credited as a drop statistically. I feel like some people want to lash out at something for the loss and each group seems to have a specific "target" they want to direct their frustrations at. It takes a team to win and when they lose, they lose as a team as well. Nobody wins every play.

Heading into the offseason, I'm not overly concerned about Watkins. I believe what has been a frustrating season for him will motivate him to work hard and get better. He has a good leader that will put in the work with him. There's no reason we can't bring in competition for him, but I'm pretty confident that he'll rebound next season. 

Yep.

Watkins himself took accountability after the game and basically said that he had "regressed" this past season.  That alone could bode well for his future development. 

That said, it's also the coaching staff's responsibility to put players in positions to succeed.  Watkins isn't a "slot receiver".  He's not a guy you want going up the middle, making contested catches.  That's not his strength. 

I'm hoping they design better plays for him - many of which he had plenty of success in college - deeper slants, outs, etc.  Those are the types of plays I envision him to be better at.  Once he gets into a rhythm and his confidence level increases, then maybe start developing his shorter, inside game.  But let the guy be successful at his strengths first

For example, look at the deep curl he runs here at 1:10.  And then the intermediate "stop and go" route at 2:40:

Those are the type of plays we should be feeding him, imo. 

22 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Yep.

Watkins himself took accountability after the game and basically said that he had "regressed" this past season.  That alone could bode well for his future development. 

That said, it's also the coaching staff's responsibility to put players in positions to succeed.  Watkins isn't a "slot receiver".  He's not a guy you want going up the middle, making contested catches.  That's not his strength. 

I'm hoping they design better plays for him - many of which he had plenty of success in college - deeper slants, outs, etc.  Those are the types of plays I envision him to be better at.  Once he gets into a rhythm and his confidence level increases, then maybe start developing his shorter, inside game.  But let the guy be successful at his strengths first

For example, look at the deep curl he runs here at 1:10.  And then the intermediate "stop and go" route at 2:40:

Those are the type of plays we should be feeding him, imo. 

I also think Hurts and Watkins have been trains passing through the same station at different times.  In 2021, Watkins spent a lot of time wide open with Hurts oblivious.  In 2022, Hurts gave Watkins several catchable deep balls that hit the ground.  And later on, I think Hurts and the play callers lost confidence in him.  

Rather than occasionally featuring him and what he does best, he became an obligatory afterthought 4th read in the slot simply because he was our #3 wr.

15 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Ya it was definitely holding but the refs were letting them play all game. That’s why it was a bad call, not because it was the end of the Super Bowl.

Completely agree with you....but waiting till the end of the game to start calling it was criminal, not just because I am an Eagles fan, but it robbed everyone else from watching, what could have been a much more exciting ending to what was a great game.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Two things you wrote here that are synonymous with everyone’s current feeling towards Watkins and that is down season and that drop (even if you don’t want to call it that) pass. The drop was the culmination of the down season. He’s been a direct result of multiple interceptions now for both quarterbacks. In a situation where team are looking to stop Smith, Goedert, and Brown he’s come up small in most opportunities. Bottom line is people expected more even with understanding that Brown being added would diminish his opportunities. When he gets them he’s not supposed to flounder. We expected more situations like that touchdown in Minnesota and less like the ball being ripped out of his hands like it was in Dallas. Nothing Watkins has done has shown me that the Eagles shouldn’t find competition for their 3rd receiver spot. We aren’t fine there.