Quez Watkins

bigdog54

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

So Quez thought he made it after one 600 season with one touchdown? He assumed he no longer needed to work? In four playoff games he’s caught three passes, and after that first loss in Tampa he didn’t say to himself that he needs to go back to work? Tell me what has Quez accomplished at this point in his career where he can have a point where he can think he made it?

Your post is full of assumptions. Tell me, how hard did Quez work? Personally, I don't know that answer. All I know is that he made a huge leap from his rookie year to his 2nd year and then had a disappointing year 3. I know he's not happy with the outcome and is accepting personal responsibility. He states that all he can do is get back to work.

Does this mean we'll see a great player next season? I don't know. All I know is that he appears motivated to perform better than last season. Getting there is up to him and he acknowledges that. I believe that his reaction to his 2022 season is a step in the right direction. 

For all I know, Quez worked hard last season and things just didn't get on track like they should have. All he can do is use it as a lesson. He can't undo what has happened. He can, though,  control what he does between last season and next season to grow as a player. That is where we are at now. I'm rooting for him. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brkmsn said:

For all I know, Quez worked hard last season and things just didn't get on track like they should have. All he can do is use it as a lesson. He can't undo what has happened. He can, though,  control what he does between last season and next season to grow as a player. That is where we are at now. I'm rooting for him. 

I think to give some credit to Quez he was misused. He’s a speed guy who should be used as such. If Sirianni felt he contributed a lot to getting others open deep then that is what he should have been doing more of. They kept trying to involve him too much I think. He’s not that kind of player and he’s never going to be I don’t think. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think to give some credit to Quez he was misused. He’s a speed guy who should be used as such. If Sirianni felt he contributed a lot to getting others open deep then that is what he should have been doing more of. They kept trying to involve him too much I think. He’s not that kind of player and he’s never going to be I don’t think. 

From his response to interview questions, it doesn't sound like Watkins feels he was misused. He feels like he can do the things they are asking him to do but he allowed outside things to get into his head and effect his performance. His play, according to him was on him alone and not on how they used him.

I think he actually has all the tools to play primarily out of the slot and be effective. I expected a little more from him last season. 

Last season, there were a lot of fans down on Miles Sanders because he "didn't get into the endzone." It was somewhat disappointing that he wasn't scoring TDs. He entered the final year of his rookie contract and the team didn't lose faith in him and put him in position to succeed and help the team win games. I expect Watkins to work hard to fix the things he was disappointed about in his own game. I will not be surprised to see him bounce back  from the sub-par season. 

On 4/1/2023 at 1:28 AM, brkmsn said:

Your post is full of assumptions. Tell me, how hard did Quez work? Personally, I don't know that answer. All I know is that he made a huge leap from his rookie year to his 2nd year and then had a disappointing year 3. I know he's not happy with the outcome and is accepting personal responsibility. He states that all he can do is get back to work.

Does this mean we'll see a great player next season? I don't know. All I know is that he appears motivated to perform better than last season. Getting there is up to him and he acknowledges that. I believe that his reaction to his 2022 season is a step in the right direction. 

He’s the one who claimed he needs to go back to work did he not? Just look at the player though. Did 2021 Watkins look like a better version of himself? You’re buying into his comment about going back to work, but him stating that implies that he didn’t work as hard as he needed to. Bottom line Quez Watkins did nothing last year to act as if he deserves to be a lock on this roster. The Eagles need to bring in some competition for that 3rd WR spot.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 10:42 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There in lies the Quez Watkins problem though. He’s an outside guy playing inside, but his bigger issues seem to be how he shys away from contact and his very poor route running. He has cost Jalen and Minshew interceptions and drops because he shells up on contact. He can’t return kicks or punts because he doesn’t like contact. Truth of the matter is both Brown and Smith are better deep options than Quez, because both players can make contested catches. Quez isn’t misused, because the truth is Quez just isn’t good enough. 

• Like 4

I thought before this past season that Quez had the potential to improve but he regressed a lot last year. Not reliable at all and as a 3rd WR you gotta catch it when it comes your way. That game against the cowboys where he was outworked for the ball not once but twice pretty much sealed it for me. 2021 may very well likely have been his peak with the eagles. He just doesn't catch the ball well and that's shown up way too often. I don't expect him to come down with the crazy catches devonte makes but he is having trouble with pretty routine stuff. 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2023 at 1:28 AM, brkmsn said:

Quez's issue is exactly what I thought it was as  confirmed by Sirianni  when he said he told Quez, "the passing offense will run through Brown and Smith and his job was to draw the safeties deep".  He further stated exactly what I saw when he said "a lot of passes that went to Brown you'll see Quez running deep right behind him", he should've been more precise with running deep wide open, which I've saw on numerous occasions.  I mean, the idea that the passing game goes thorough Brown and Smith even when Quez is running all along is absurd.

As far as I'm concerned that's an elementary offense, on some of those plays that went to Brown and Quez was running deep all alone behind him the pass to Brown was incomplete!!  That should be an option pass, if the safety that should be running with Quez drops down to help out with Brown the pass should go to Quez, it's a simple read of the safety.

Quez put in the work last year, all one needed to do was to see how much bigger he was last year compared to 2021, no one wants to put in the work required only to be ignored on the field.  I hope the new OC runs a more mature offense than the elementary offense we saw last year, all of those QB runs and only looking at two of your wideouts ain't gonna cut it in '23.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

He’s the one who claimed he needs to go back to work did he not? Just look at the player though. Did 2021 Watkins look like a better version of himself? You’re buying into his comment about going back to work, but him stating that implies that he didn’t work as hard as he needed to. Bottom line Quez Watkins did nothing last year to act as if he deserves to be a lock on this roster. The Eagles need to bring in some competition for that 3rd WR spot.

Going back to work actually implies you worked before. That's why you are "going back." The context of his statements are he wasn't happy with his season and has to put that behind him, get back to work and hopefully become a better player. He wasn't saying he took last season off. He just acknowledges that  he needs to improve and is ready to work toward that goal.

15 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Quez isn’t misused, because the truth is Quez just isn’t good enough. 

Can’t disagree with you there bud. I don’t think he’s a terrible player but I think he’s a one trick pony. And I’m not sure he does that trick well enough to warrant his place on the team.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Can’t disagree with you there bud. I don’t think he’s a terrible player but I think he’s a one trick pony. And I’m not sure he does that trick well enough to warrant his place on the team.

That’s where I’m at with it. I don’t hate Quez Watkins. I just don’t think he’s good enough. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

That’s where I’m at with it. I don’t hate Quez Watkins. I just don’t think he’s good enough. 

I thought he was going to be a really good #3. And look who knows he may come back this year and prove to be. I just don’t see it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I thought he was going to be a really good #3. And look who knows he may come back this year and prove to be. I just don’t see it.

It depends on what you look at. If you just look at last season, you won't come away very impressed. If you just look at his 2021 season, you might even be optimistic about him becoming a very good WR2. If you take the whole sample (all 3 NFL seasons), you certainly should have questions. Why did such a promising young WR prospect take a step back while the offense he plays for seemingly took a strong step forward? It's a fair question. One potential factor might indeed be the grade 2 shoulder sprain he suffered against the titans (Hurts' shoulder strain was slightly less than grade 2. That's about the time we really started noticing Watkins playing "soft." Watkins says he was thinking about it and trying to basically protect himself rather than just doing his job naturally. While to many, that's going to be "just an excuse." But it does make sense. 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/eagles-quez-watkins-slated-for-mri/

Watkins still isn't blaming anybody else, but himself for how he played. Hopefully there's a lesson in 2022 that helps him become an even better player. That's all we can hope for.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nfl/article273755915.html

Feel free to rewatch him in 2021. All this talk about him not being able to run routes is ignorant rubbish. He showed a lot in 2021. He still made mistakes now and then, but that's par for course for most developing WRs. Personally, I have no doubt in his ability to play at a higher level than he did in 2022. You have to play with confidence. To me the question I have is does he regain his confidence? You never know. Some guys try to force things and it just gets worse (See Reagor). Some guys need professional help/support (see Agholor). One way or the other, we will find out about Watkins. If he plays with confidence, all this talk will stop. 

20 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Why did such a promising young WR prospect take a step back while the offense he plays for seemingly took a strong step forward? It's a fair question.

Did you not read the article I quoted above, Sirianni told him the passing offense was going to run through Brown and Smith and he was going to be a decoy all year long.....PERIOD!! .

• Haha 1

Quez needs to practice catching deep passes from Jalen Hurts as that really seems like his best asset on the team is going deep and out running the defenders.

When you have two 1,000 yard receivers and a top TE in the league those 3 are going to get majority of the catches obviously.

3 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Did you not read the article I quoted above, Sirianni told him the passing offense was going to run through Brown and Smith and he was going to be a decoy all year long.....PERIOD!! .

Did you read anything I typed?

I'm not even talking about why his opportunities were limited. I was talking about why he was disappointing on some of those opportunities. Why don't you listen to what Quez said:

"I didn’t play my brand of football all year,” Watkins said. "I never played this bad.”

He only had 10 less catches after they added AJ Brown.  

The limited opportunities he got, he made some mistakes.  As I said before, AJ Brown also made some major mistakes with costly fumbles.  But since he's the top receiver they're going to keep feeding him and then he makes big plays and makes up for it.  

When a backup player makes mistakes, coaches give them even less chances.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EagleVA said:

But when he wasn't the decoy and his number was actually called he choked quite a few times. Especially in the SB with that dropped TD. Fact is, he's not a very good decoy. You have to make plays to be considered a good deep threat decoy. You guys are making excuses for him when the fact really is that he's just not good and the WR3 position should be an open competition. 

25 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

But when he wasn't the decoy and his number was actually called he choked quite a few times. Especially in the SB with that dropped TD. Fact is, he's not a very good decoy. You have to make plays to be considered a good deep threat decoy. You guys are making excuses for him when the fact really is that he's just not good and the WR3 position should be an open competition. 

Who said the spot isn't an open competition?

On 4/6/2023 at 8:41 AM, Heavywchamp said:

You guys are making excuses for him when the fact really is that he's just not good and the WR3 position should be an open competition. 

Honestly, this sounds just like the conversation we heard concerning Jalen Hurts last offseason, I'm sure Watkins will be shutting you guys up just like Jalen did.

On 4/5/2023 at 7:07 PM, brkmsn said:

Did you read anything I typed?

I'm not even talking about why his opportunities were limited. I was talking about why he was disappointing on some of those opportunities. Why don't you listen to what Quez said:

"I didn’t play my brand of football all year,” Watkins said. "I never played this bad.”

Of course I read what you typed, but I responded to what I quoted.

Concerning Watkins quote, I don't pay much attention to politically correct statements from players. 

Over the past two season I saw Watkins make some great catches on poorly thrown balls, I'm assuming I'm the only one who saw those catches because I've never read a post from anyone speaking on them.  

On 4/5/2023 at 7:06 PM, NOTW said:

When you have two 1,000 yard receivers and a top TE in the league those 3 are going to get majority of the catches obviously.

No one is expecting Quez to make this a 3 1000 yard receiver team, (especially since the Eagles run so much) but is it too much to ask him to hold onto the ball after a big catch? Is it too much to ask to contribute more on special teams? Is it too much to ask for him not to be the cause of turnovers? Thought Quez could at least provide Jason Avant type numbers, but he’s more of a Greg Lewis type. 

On 4/5/2023 at 7:11 PM, NOTW said:

He only had 10 less catches after they added AJ Brown.  

The limited opportunities he got, he made some mistakes.  As I said before, AJ Brown also made some major mistakes with costly fumbles.  But since he's the top receiver they're going to keep feeding him and then he makes big plays and makes up for it.  

When a backup player makes mistakes, coaches give them even less chances.

As a backup it’s his job to make the most of his opportunities and when he doesn’t his mistakes are highlighted even more. Take a guy like Boston Scott for example (who also has made mistakes in the past) how he gets little exposure as a player, but for the most part is fairly liked by the fan base. The reason being is when we see him he’s generally doing something positive. Quez needs to make better use of his opportunities. "Skinny Batman” didn’t earn his title last season. 

On 4/5/2023 at 3:36 PM, EagleVA said:

He’s such a "decoy” that the Chiefs single covered him and he still couldn’t come up with the ball. 😂 What good is a decoy that is responsible for many of the turnovers from last season? 

Watkins deserves a shot next year.  I don’t like any of the replacement options in the draft.  Mecole Hardman or Paris Campbell would have been interesting FAs to bring in as #3 wr competition, but the Eagles had no interest.

If he disappoints in 2023, then WR becomes a key draft need.  But might as well support and rally around him for this year.

• Like 2