Quez Watkins

bigdog54

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

"But Quez is our No. 3 receiver. There will be competition for it just like there was when Zach [Pascal] was here for different roles within that. But we're excited about Quez. I'm really excited with our new addition.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-nick-sirianni-howie-roseman-back-quez-watkins-after-adding-wr

According to Sirianni this is their number 3 receiver. 

That's where he is on the WR depth chart @NOTW is saying 4 or 5th OPTION, which he is. 

I was thinking the same! :roll:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

"But Quez is our No. 3 receiver. There will be competition for it just like there was when Zach [Pascal] was here for different roles within that. But we're excited about Quez. I'm really excited with our new addition.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-nick-sirianni-howie-roseman-back-quez-watkins-after-adding-wr

According to Sirianni this is their number 3 receiver. 

Yes, but Goedert is a priority receiving target over him. So 3 options are ahead of Quez.

10 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That's where he is on the WR depth chart @NOTW is saying 4 or 5th OPTION, which he is. 

I was thinking the same! :roll:

Correct 

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

Yes, but Goedert is a priority receiving target over him. So 3 options are ahead of Quez.

And after Goedert got hurt last year Quez had the opportunity to step up in that third option, but he didn’t. The 4th option needs to be able to step up when called upon. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

And after Goedert got hurt last year Quez had the opportunity to step up in that third option, but he didn’t. The 4th option needs to be able to step up when called upon. 

he does, as does every backup when called upon.  Just joking that you guys are spending a LOT of time arguing about a backup :lol:

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, NOTW said:

he does, as does every backup when called upon.  Just joking that you guys are spending a LOT of time arguing about a backup :lol:

We both are just stubborn mules refusing to back down from our stances. 😂🤣😂

42 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

We both are just stubborn mules refusing to back down from our stances. 😂🤣😂

Maybe ... Maybe we're just trying to keep some discussion going here. 

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Maybe ... Maybe we're just trying to keep some discussion going here. 

Yeah it’s a bit dead around here lately but businesses is definitely going to pick up real soon with the draft pending. 

• 1 month later...

its all very well saying how improved he is and that he's impressed, but if he cant be trusted to do it when it really matters then he's no good to us.

He's got a lot to prove and how long do you keep giving him chances?

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 7:35 PM, NOTW said:

That backup QB energy has to go somewhere, right? 😁

16 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

its all very well saying how improved he is and that he's impressed, but if he cant be trusted to do it when it really matters then he's no good to us.

Sirianni was asked a general question about the roster and if anybody has stood out so far. Out of 90 players, he singled out Watkins. This isn't just typical "coach-speak." He conveyed that despite what outsiders believe, due to media critique about the player, the team has never shared those concerns and believes in him. 

Like any young players, there will be ups and downs and things to learn from. That isn't unusual. What is unusual is for a player to only continue to trend down after a bad play, bad game, or stretch of either. It's always weird to me to read or hear fans presume that's the only likely outcome with a young player. "He made some mistakes last year, he must be a bust."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rrfierce said:

Yup, you can go on you tube and find videos of Jalen Reagor's two "incredible one handed grabs" from 2021Training Camp, or Google for 2020 reports about how JJAW has been "making acrobatic catches all camp" including a "one handed catch in the endzone".  It didn't amount to a hill of beans with either of those two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/24/2023 at 8:39 AM, NOTW said:

And possibly Swift out of the field for the checkdowns.

Does Penny catch? I don't remember.

On 6/9/2023 at 11:39 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yup, you can go on you tube and find videos of Jalen Reagor's two "incredible one handed grabs" from 2021Training Camp, or Google for 2020 reports about how JJAW has been "making acrobatic catches all camp" including a "one handed catch in the endzone".  It didn't amount to a hill of beans with either of those two.

"But this is our hill - and these are our beans!"   - Frank Drebin

• Like 3

There's no Quezstion in my mind that Watkins is upgradeable.

I hope to be proven wrong in September.

• Like 2

If Quez gets his head out of his butt this season that makes this team even more dangerous, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Too many F ups last year to trust him

• Like 1

I think Quez is going to surprise a lot of people this year.  In 2021, Quez was open deep a lot and Hurts couldn’t hit him.  In 2022, Hurts was playing great, but was dishing it to Brown/Smith and Quez made the least of his limited opportunities.

In 2023, I think both trains may be in the station at the same time.

• Like 2

I've been watching YouTube highlights from last year's games.

I've been surprised at how many big catches Quez had last year.  It was more than I thought.  Makes me feel better about him.

4 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

I've been watching YouTube highlights from last year's games.

I've been surprised at how many big catches Quez had last year.  It was more than I thought.  Makes me feel better about him.

There were two things about last season with Quez that fans seem to overlook. You touched on the first. The second one is the effect the injury had on how he played (physically). Quez suffered a slightly more severe version of the shoulder injury that Hurts suffered last season. It happened in the Titans game. He had an MRI after the game and then didn't miss a game. It did affect his play style as he was cautious and tried to protect it. We all saw how those bad plays turned out. All of those plays can be blamed on a lack of physicality. If we were talking about a completely healthy player, I would be concerned about the tentative play from him late in the season. But when a guy is asked to play through an issue, you have to expect him to protect the injury while it heals. Hurts was given 2 weeks to rest his shoulder and when he returned, he played extremely cautiously that first game. Nobody blamed him for not taking chances with the shoulder at that point. When you watch Quez in 2021, he didn't shy away from contact and he looked good on contested passes. Now, after the injury in 2022, all of a sudden I'm supposed to believe he's "soft?" There's a difference between playing healthy and playing hurt. 

Injured Quez is an okay decoy, but a bit of a liability as a pass catcher. I'm not worried about healthy Quez at all. The good news is we brought in Zaccheaus to fill in if Quez does get hurt again. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 1:08 PM, brkmsn said:

Yeah this is unusual because how many times do you see a QB asked about a current team mate and they say "That m'fer tracks the ball like Ray Charles, he couldn't catch an STD in a 5 dollar ****house".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yeah this is unusual because how many times do you see a QB asked about a current team mate and they say "That m'fer tracks the ball like Ray Charles, he couldn't catch an STD in a 5 dollar ****house".

I'm not saying it's unusual for a player to support a teammate or to respond to a question about a teammate in a supportive manner. I only provided the response that was given and unless you think Jalen is full of it, based on all the other responses he has given to questions, it is a positive response from a a credible, highly respected person. I didn't exactly see Jalen, or other teammates for that matter, clamoring for and recruiting Hopkins since he's been available. I wonder why that is ...

• Like 1

The Eagles players and coaches are going out of their way to praise Watkins right now. Maybe they believe it. Maybe they’re hyping him up for trade purposes. Maybe they’re just trying to keep him encouraged. Whatever the reason is we really won’t know what’s up with this guy until the pads come on. I’m hoping he lives up to the hype (to be clear I don’t need him to be elite, just catch the darn ball and hold onto it when he does and don’t shy from contact causing turnovers like he has in the past) but I have my doubts.