Quez Watkins

bigdog54

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Watkins had a handful of bad plays last season and people are dwelling on them a little too much. Just because of those does not mean he "can't do that." He absolutely can do that. He showed that in 2021. What we need/want from him is to at the very least perform at his 2021 level. Watkins wants that as well which is something I take as a positive. 

This isn't about "people making excuses." Even Jalen Hurts has had ups and downs as a starter. Why were we patient with him after a few mistakes, but not with a guy like Quez who also showed promise? In 2021, Jalen started great. Then he looked average to kind of bad for several weeks. Then he began to show signs of greatness, but lacked consistency. Things were looking up. Then he had a terrible game in the playoff game vs Tampa. Was that enough to get me to ignore the promise he showed and jump on the Carson Strong bandwagon? No. I understand young players have to experience adversity and if greatness is in their future, that adversity will help shape that future. Quez understands he needs to be better and is ready to work toward that goal. I respect that and am rooting for him, just like I was rooting for Hurts after the conclusion of 2021. 

I don’t see any comparisons between Hurts and Watkins. So far Hurts has never regressed while Watson has. Also Hurts is the exception and not the norm. Far more of your JJAW types in the wake of Watson than Hurts. Frankly all of us want Watson to succeed. He’s got to go out there and prove it not matter how much you or any of us cheer for him.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t see any comparisons between Hurts and Watkins. So far Hurts has never regressed while Watson has. Also Hurts is the exception and not the norm. Far more of your JJAW types in the wake of Watson than Hurts. Frankly all of us want Watson to succeed. He’s got to go out there and prove it not matter how much you or any of us cheer for him.

Watson, Watkins, I’m so confused! 😂😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Watson, Watkins, I’m so confused! 😂😉

Neither should be compared to Jalen! 😂🤣😂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Watkins had a handful of bad plays last season and people are dwelling on them a little too much. Just because of those does not mean he "can't do that." He absolutely can do that. He showed that in 2021. What we need/want from him is to at the very least perform at his 2021 level. Watkins wants that as well which is something I take as a positive. 

This isn't about "people making excuses." Even Jalen Hurts has had ups and downs as a starter. Why were we patient with him after a few mistakes, but not with a guy like Quez who also showed promise? In 2021, Jalen started great. Then he looked average to kind of bad for several weeks. Then he began to show signs of greatness, but lacked consistency. Things were looking up. Then he had a terrible game in the playoff game vs Tampa. Was that enough to get me to ignore the promise he showed and jump on the Carson Strong bandwagon? No. I understand young players have to experience adversity and if greatness is in their future, that adversity will help shape that future. Quez understands he needs to be better and is ready to work toward that goal. I respect that and am rooting for him, just like I was rooting for Hurts after the conclusion of 2021. 

The thing with being a WR3 is you aren't getting called upon often, but when the call comes you've got to make it count, the reason his bum plays stood out was because a lot of them were chances to move the chains and sustain drives, When Smith or Brown don't come down with a 1st down catch, it's not great but we have two more shots, if Watkins muffs a ball that hits his hands, or loses the flight of the ball on a 3rd and 11, that's a killer, and it sticks in your mind.

I watched Brown and Smith come down with a few catches they had no right to last year, the DB had them but they still got it, but I watched Watkins a few times come down empty handed where he had the drop on the DB, every receiver loses a contested catch now and then, but Watkins seemed to lose more often than he should, and worse he didn't make much of a contest of it either. 

I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the roster next year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him drop to WR4.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

In 3 full seasons with us, JJAW was targeted 35 times and Quez 126 times. JJAW was a disappointing 2nd round pick. Watkins was a surprising 6th rd pick that outlasted and outproduced the two WRs the team drafted ahead of him that year. In the last 2 seasons, Watkins has 76 receptions for 1001 yards and 4 TDs. 

As for Hurts, he did regress a bit early in 2021 and later in that playoff loss. Some of his mistakes during those spans were cause for concern. Twice in the first 6 weeks (2021), Hurts threw the ball away on 4th down --- that's a turnover on downs where he didn't give anybody a chance to make a play. In the playoff loss he looked away from wide open players. Smith and Watkins were open numerous times for big gains and he was afraid to pull the trigger. Watch the tape. The good thing is that he learned from his bad moments in 2021 and became a better player. Hurts' improvement doesn't make him an "exception." That's actually normal for every young player that carves out a future in the NFL. What was exceptional about Hurts was that he went from Big question to MVP candidate. But a majority of players improve with playing time and almost all of them experience ups and downs along the way.

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The thing with being a WR3 is you aren't getting called upon often, but when the call comes you've got to make it count, the reason his bum plays stood out was because a lot of them were chances to move the chains and sustain drives, When Smith or Brown don't come down with a 1st down catch, it's not great but we have two more shots, if Watkins muffs a ball that hits his hands, or loses the flight of the ball on a 3rd and 11, that's a killer, and it sticks in your mind.

I watched Brown and Smith come down with a few catches they had no right to last year, the DB had them but they still got it, but I watched Watkins a few times come down empty handed where he had the drop on the DB, every receiver loses a contested catch now and then, but Watkins seemed to lose more often than he should, and worse he didn't make much of a contest of it either. 

I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the roster next year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him drop to WR4.

After 2021, I was surprised that Watkins didn't come down with some of the passes last season. But then when you look at those bad plays, where he looked soft and tentative and look at those INTs where he could easily be the blame for the result (for the same reason), almost all of them happened while he was playing through the grade 2 shoulder sprain. So why were the Eagles playing him when they felt compelled to rest and even protect Hurts whose shoulder sprain was less severe? Because the offense needed the guy that stretched the field to create space for the other targets. Greg Ward just isn't going to be that guy. Ward is a serviceable slot receiver that has reliable hands, but our offense would not be the same with him. 

I'm certainly not opposed to adding competition at WR, but as of right now, there isn't any to speak of for Watkins. So as of right now, I would be surprised to see him  drop to WR4. That would mean D. Allen all of a sudden became a viable NFL player. 

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

In 3 full seasons with us, JJAW was targeted 35 times and Quez 126 times. JJAW was a disappointing 2nd round pick. Watkins was a surprising 6th rd pick that outlasted and outproduced the two WRs the team drafted ahead of him that year. In the last 2 seasons, Watkins has 76 receptions for 1001 yards and 4 TDs. 

As for Hurts, he did regress a bit early in 2021 and later in that playoff loss. Some of his mistakes during those spans were cause for concern. Twice in the first 6 weeks (2021), Hurts threw the ball away on 4th down --- that's a turnover on downs where he didn't give anybody a chance to make a play. In the playoff loss he looked away from wide open players. Smith and Watkins were open numerous times for big gains and he was afraid to pull the trigger. Watch the tape. The good thing is that he learned from his bad moments in 2021 and became a better player. Hurts' improvement doesn't make him an "exception." That's actually normal for every young player that carves out a future in the NFL. What was exceptional about Hurts was that he went from Big question to MVP candidate. But a majority of players improve with playing time and almost all of them experience ups and downs along the way.

After 2021, I was surprised that Watkins didn't come down with some of the passes last season. But then when you look at those bad plays, where he looked soft and tentative and look at those INTs where he could easily be the blame for the result (for the same reason), almost all of them happened while he was playing through the grade 2 shoulder sprain. So why were the Eagles playing him when they felt compelled to rest and even protect Hurts whose shoulder sprain was less severe? Because the offense needed the guy that stretched the field to create space for the other targets. Greg Ward just isn't going to be that guy. Ward is a serviceable slot receiver that has reliable hands, but our offense would not be the same with him. 

I'm certainly not opposed to adding competition at WR, but as of right now, there isn't any to speak of for Watkins. So as of right now, I would be surprised to see him  drop to WR4. That would mean D. Allen all of a sudden became a viable NFL player. 

In 2021 Jalen Hurts was not as good of a player than he is right now, but he was better than the 2020 version of himself. Quez Watkins was not better than the 2021 version of himself at all last year, but he was clearly better in 2021 than hr was in 2020. So with a better version of Hurts in 2022 dropping dimes on Quez he got worse at catching the ball. There is no comparison between these two players. One worked hard to improve when the other didn’t. To compare these to players to one another is an insult to Jalen Hurts. Oh and by the way JJAW stopped getting passes thrown his way because he stunk. You’re the only person who seems not to recognize this. All in all we All of us hope Quez plays better, but there is absolutely no guarantee he will because he’s already shown on multiple occasions with two different quarterbacks he’s afraid of contact and will be out hustled for the football and allow defenders to take it from him, but that’s Jalen’s fault right? 🙄

14 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Neither should be compared to Jalen! 😂🤣😂

And yet… Watson is set to have a higher cap hit this year than hurts… Significantly so!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

In 2021 Jalen Hurts was not as good of a player than he is right now, but he was better than the 2020 version of himself. Quez Watkins was not better than the 2021 version of himself at all last year, but he was clearly better in 2021 than hr was in 2020. So with a better version of Hurts in 2022 dropping dimes on Quez he got worse at catching the ball. There is no comparison between these two players. One worked hard to improve when the other didn’t. To compare these to players to one another is an insult to Jalen Hurts. Oh and by the way JJAW stopped getting passes thrown his way because he stunk. You’re the only person who seems not to recognize this. All in all we All of us hope Quez plays better, but there is absolutely no guarantee he will because he’s already shown on multiple occasions with two different quarterbacks he’s afraid of contact and will be out hustled for the football and allow defenders to take it from him, but that’s Jalen’s fault right? 🙄

So many strawmen ... topped with conjecture.

I can compare anybody I want to anybody else. Acting like comparing one player's situation with another player's is some kind of insult is ignorant. These are football players, not gods. How, may I ask, do you know if Watkins worked hard to improve or not? We all know how hard Hurts worked, but it wasn't enough to make him an irreplaceable player in college. It didn't make him the 1st player taken in the draft, the first QB taken in the draft, or even a 1st round pick in the draft. None of that means he wasn't working hard to be the best. He was putting in the work, but still had plenty more work ahead of him. Ask him right now and I bet he'll be the first to tell you that he needs to keep working to improve as a player. He isn't content. Watkins isn't content either. 

Today the Eagles signed Olamide Zaccheaus. He was one of Mariota's targets last season and has 1 more season of NFL experience than Watkins. So we finally know one of the names that can add competition for Watkins' role. Maybe the Eagles will add another name in the draft or another vet before the season begins. 

"I know Quez wanted to make some of the plays that he felt like he didn’t,” Sirianni said. "I think also what he’s saying there is he’s taking ownership and accountability of him getting better and not looking at anybody else, and that’s what you want from your team. 

"For everybody to look in the mirror and say, ‘How do I get better? How do I help this team win that last game?’ And we’ve got a long way before we’ll ever be in that position again, but, ‘How do I get better to help our team win one game or get better in practice.’

"So Quez is embodying what our team embodies, the accountability piece of how he gets better and only worrying about that and trying to get better for the sake of the team.”

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And yet… Watson is set to have a higher cap hit this year than hurts… Significantly so!

Well it is the Browns so no surprise they would screw it up for themselves. 

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

So many strawmen ... topped with conjecture.

I can compare anybody I want to anybody else. Acting like comparing one player's situation with another player's is some kind of insult is ignorant. These are football players, not gods. How, may I ask, do you know if Watkins worked hard to improve or not? We all know how hard Hurts worked, but it wasn't enough to make him an irreplaceable player in college. It didn't make him the 1st player taken in the draft, the first QB taken in the draft, or even a 1st round pick in the draft. None of that means he wasn't working hard to be the best. He was putting in the work, but still had plenty more work ahead of him. Ask him right now and I bet he'll be the first to tell you that he needs to keep working to improve as a player. He isn't content. Watkins isn't content either. 

Today the Eagles signed Olamide Zaccheaus. He was one of Mariota's targets last season and has 1 more season of NFL experience than Watkins. So we finally know one of the names that can add competition for Watkins' role. Maybe the Eagles will add another name in the draft or another vet before the season begins. 

"I know Quez wanted to make some of the plays that he felt like he didn’t,” Sirianni said. "I think also what he’s saying there is he’s taking ownership and accountability of him getting better and not looking at anybody else, and that’s what you want from your team. 

"For everybody to look in the mirror and say, ‘How do I get better? How do I help this team win that last game?’ And we’ve got a long way before we’ll ever be in that position again, but, ‘How do I get better to help our team win one game or get better in practice.’

"So Quez is embodying what our team embodies, the accountability piece of how he gets better and only worrying about that and trying to get better for the sake of the team.”

Let’s keep this thing simple. You don’t have a monopoly on rooting for a player. Frankly everyone wants Quez to be better, but it’s up to him to go out there and actually do it. Until he does everything else is nothing more than an assumption. Just so we are clear in 2021 (you know Watkins good year) he caused Jalen to throw an interception because he stopped running his route because he was afraid of contact. The book on Quez and his fear of contact expanded and on special teams as a return guy he would run out of bounds out of fear of contact. I don’t care if Quez himself talks about accountability. Until he stops playing small during contact (IN A CONTACT SPORT) situations he’s never going to be what ever you think he will be. 

If a team knows a quarterback can’t throw a pass if he’s forced to scramble to his left what do you think they will do to that quarterback? 
If a team knows a running back tends to fumble if he’s hit by multiple defenders or in pile ups what do you think they will do to that running back? 
If a team knows that left tackle really struggles against speed rushers then what do you think they will do to that LT? 
If a team knows that cornerback is susceptible to the double move what do you think that team will do to that cornerback? 
If a team knows if they get physical with that wide receiver he will disappear then what do you think they will do to that wide receiver? 
Some flaws can be fixed with hard work while others need a change in mentality. 

4 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Zacchaeus is a decent pick up for the slot

Certainly an option who is going to put pressure on Watkins to step up and preform and it’s possible that the Eagles aren’t done making moves there. I’m just glad they aren’t content to just hand the job over to Watkins. Quez still at this point probably makes the team regardless though. 

On 4/19/2023 at 12:05 AM, Heavywchamp said:

So are you admitting Hurts proved you wrong?

I wasn't dogging him all off season like many others, matter of fact, I didn't dog him once during the offseason.

"My first conversation with him after he signed that contract, he was just telling me how determined he was, and I know how hard he’s working in the offseason," Roseman said. "I know how much football matters to him. I know how much he wants to be coached.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/5-eagles-pre-draft-takeaways-210406346.html

"So Quez is embodying what our team embodies, the accountability piece of how he gets better and only worrying about that and trying to get better for the sake of the team.”

Do you see the difference in these quotes @brkmsn? One is about Jalen after signing the biggest contract in the NFL. The other is about a WR who failed. They THINK one guy will work hard to get better while they KNOW the other guy is. Are they still the same in your eyes?

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

"My first conversation with him after he signed that contract, he was just telling me how determined he was, and I know how hard he’s working in the offseason," Roseman said. "I know how much football matters to him. I know how much he wants to be coached.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/5-eagles-pre-draft-takeaways-210406346.html

"So Quez is embodying what our team embodies, the accountability piece of how he gets better and only worrying about that and trying to get better for the sake of the team.”

Do you see the difference in these quotes @brkmsn? One is about Jalen after signing the biggest contract in the NFL. The other is about a WR who failed. They THINK one guy will work hard to get better while they KNOW the other guy is. Are they still the same in your eyes?

Holy crap ... it's amazing how many things go right over your head. 

In your eyes, I'm comparing one player directly to another. Unfortunately, the whole point of the comparison aspect of my earlier post was to demonstrate to you how your evaluation and prognostication about Watkins after 1 bad season (that wasn't even close to the bad seasons we got from JJAW and Reagor) is remarkably similar to those of the people that doubted Hurts after 2021 and after that terrible playoff game vs Tampa. In their minds, that was all the proof they needed. He was what he was and no amount of work could "fix" his "weaknesses." If we compared his situation with another more successful player (cough* Josh Allen *cough), it was "an insult." 

Honestly, you've memorized their handbook and are following the script to a tee. That you can't see the irony is astounding. Oh ... yes ... you are rooting for Watkins too --- just like they were rooting for Hurts ... just like how they wanted him to sit out and protect his shoulder "for the good of the team's future" and not so they could prove that Minshew was equally as effective with all this talent around him as they had previously suggested ... Prepare yourself for the URFA  WR we sign after the draft whose avatar you'll be sporting as the WR3 savior (probably with the first name Carson). That's the next play in the handbook. Don't forget to express worry that Watkins will play only well enough to convince the team to extend his contract and not draft his immediate replacement!

Eagles sign some competition for the number three receiver spot and Quez goes to Twitter ranting. That’s exactly how Jalen would’ve handled right @brkmsn? 😂

On 4/21/2023 at 8:50 AM, brkmsn said:

Holy crap ... it's amazing how many things go right over your head. 

In your eyes, I'm comparing one player directly to another. Unfortunately, the whole point of the comparison aspect of my earlier post was to demonstrate to you how your evaluation and prognostication about Watkins after 1 bad season (that wasn't even close to the bad seasons we got from JJAW and Reagor) is remarkably similar to those of the people that doubted Hurts after 2021 and after that terrible playoff game vs Tampa. In their minds, that was all the proof they needed. He was what he was and no amount of work could "fix" his "weaknesses." If we compared his situation with another more successful player (cough* Josh Allen *cough), it was "an insult." 

Honestly, you've memorized their handbook and are following the script to a tee. That you can't see the irony is astounding. Oh ... yes ... you are rooting for Watkins too --- just like they were rooting for Hurts ... just like how they wanted him to sit out and protect his shoulder "for the good of the team's future" and not so they could prove that Minshew was equally as effective with all this talent around him as they had previously suggested ... Prepare yourself for the URFA  WR we sign after the draft whose avatar you'll be sporting as the WR3 savior (probably with the first name Carson). That's the next play in the handbook. Don't forget to express worry that Watkins will play only well enough to convince the team to extend his contract and not draft his immediate replacement!

I wanted Jalen to rest his arm for the good of the team and himself. In your mind that somehow makes me another Jalen hater now? 😂 And no this is not the same. I’ve heard even when Jalen was struggling he has 1) a crazy work ethic and 2) is an outstanding leader. Have you hear or read anything close to that about Quez Watkins? The comparison is similar only in your mind bud. Quez is a low end player on this team. The Eagles have never viewed Jalen that way. Only some misguided fans thought that. The Eagles are telling us Quez is in a competition for his job. The Eagles flat out told Minshew he has no shot to supplant Jalen. From day one the people in that building were impressed with Jalen. The Eagles were so unimpressed with Watkins they traded for Brown and replaced him. This is your thing though. You jump to the defense of the lesser player at times you are blaming the team and more talented players for the lessor player failing. I’m just hoping you eventually see there’s no comparison between Jalen and Quez. Jalen has overcome the doubts and criticisms of others while your boy Quez cries on Twitter.

FYI I wanted Jalen and all of the starters on the team to get rested especially guys who either were injured or coming back from injury because they earned the right to. All Minshew had to do was win one game. He failed so Jalen and other starters had to play in that Giants game when they should’ve been resting. Maybe if your boy Quez stepped up against Dallas instead of being so soft he allowed the Cowboys to rip the ball out of his hands (twice) Minshew doesn’t look so bad and Jalen gets another week to rest. Or maybe if Quez holds onto that ball against Washington the conference would have already been locked up. Maybe if Quez brings down that pass in the superbowl the Eagles win the game. Keep defending him though. He’s obviously earned it. 🙄

Eagles sign some competition for the number three receiver spot and Quez goes to Twitter ranting. That’s exactly how Jalen would’ve handled right @brkmsn? 😂

For the record, I'm not a fan of any player venting, taunting, trolling, etc... on social media. It always comes across as immature. 

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I wanted Jalen to rest his arm for the good of the team and himself. In your mind that somehow makes me another Jalen hater now? 😂 And no this is not the same. I’ve heard even when Jalen was struggling he has 1) a crazy work ethic and 2) is an outstanding leader. Have you hear or read anything close to that about Quez Watkins? The comparison is similar only in your mind bud. Quez is a low end player on this team. The Eagles have never viewed Jalen that way. Only some misguided fans thought that. The Eagles are telling us Quez is in a competition for his job. The Eagles flat out told Minshew he has no shot to supplant Jalen. From day one the people in that building were impressed with Jalen. The Eagles were so unimpressed with Watkins they traded for Brown and replaced him. This is your thing though. You jump to the defense of the lesser player at times you are blaming the team and more talented players for the lessor player failing. I’m just hoping you eventually see there’s no comparison between Jalen and Quez. Jalen has overcome the doubts and criticisms of others while your boy Quez cries on Twitter.

FYI I wanted Jalen and all of the starters on the team to get rested especially guys who either were injured or coming back from injury because they earned the right to. All Minshew had to do was win one game. He failed so Jalen and other starters had to play in that Giants game when they should’ve been resting. Maybe if your boy Quez stepped up against Dallas instead of being so soft he allowed the Cowboys to rip the ball out of his hands (twice) Minshew doesn’t look so bad and Jalen gets another week to rest. Or maybe if Quez holds onto that ball against Washington the conference would have already been locked up. Maybe if Quez brings down that pass in the superbowl the Eagles win the game. Keep defending him though. He’s obviously earned it. 🙄

Once Again, I wasn't comparing Jalen to Quez. I was comparing fans' reactions to  players that didn't do everything fans wanted them to do. You can jump on whatever boat you choose. You can be negative and pessimistic and eventually be right (lots of players fail) or be optimistic and eventually be right (lots of player do improve and/or succeed). 

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I wanted Jalen to rest his arm for the good of the team and himself. In your mind that somehow makes me another Jalen hater now?

You know darn well who I was talking about. If you don't, then honestly, you're a lost cause.

Have you hear or read anything close to that about Quez Watkins?

I read a lot of pieces from the draft and before the 2021 season on all the extra work Quez was putting in to get better. So on the work ethic part, yes, I heard praise and saw evidence. Leadership? We're talking WRs here. They aren't "leaders" outside of work ethic. 

The comparison is similar only in your mind bud.

Even though no matter how many times I point this out, you can't process this, I'll reiterate: I was comparing fans and their criticisms --- not players. 

Quez is a low end player on this team. The Eagles have never viewed Jalen that way. Only some misguided fans thought that. The Eagles are telling us Quez is in a competition for his job. The Eagles flat out told Minshew he has no shot to supplant Jalen. From day one the people in that building were impressed with Jalen. The Eagles were so unimpressed with Watkins they traded for Brown and replaced him. . 🙄

The Eagles were fresh off extending Wentz as the face of the franchise when they drafted Hurts, They had just lost Foles after he voided his deal to remain the QB2. They drafted Hurts to be a QB2. That was obvious. What they didn't plan for was how 2020 played out. That changed everything. But everybody in that draft class was brought in to compete for roster spots, and a role on the team. They were in fact viewed the same way.  After 2021, what did the Eagles think of Watkins?

Sirianni after the 2021 season ended (before Brown was acquired) --- "I look at Quez Watkins as our number two wide receiver, and he’s got big-time speed. He has a knack to make plays. Quez has big-play ability in him, and I think out of the number two wideouts I’ve been around in the NFL, he can be one of the best number two’s that I have been around in the NFL because of his skill set.”

So ... who again were the Eagles unimpressed with when they traded for Brown? The other Jalen (Reagor). It's amazing how you twist facts. 

You jump to the defense of the lesser player at times you are blaming the team and more talented players for the lessor player failing.

Show me where I blamed the team or other players to defend Watkins. 

The funny thing about Watkins and this thread is that there are a couple directions this thread has gone and I've remained in the middle. You're confusing me with some of the things EagleVA has said. Smith and Brown are two amazing WRs and Watkins has not reached their level of play. Nobody is holding Watkins back. He has a role on this team and needs to take advantage of every opportunity. In 2022, he failed to do that. Whatever he allowed to affect his play (including the injury) is on him alone. He needs to correct that. I, personally, believe players experience slumps and that's what he went through last season. Just like with Jalen (Hurts) coming off last season, I feel like there was enough good play from Watkins over the last 2 seasons to believe he can right the ship and become a very good, reliable player for us. 

On to the social media crap. I don't know what it is with WRs that they tend to be the most infamous group on the internet. I would prefer they (all players) learn to understand that much of what they post appears unprofessional and immature. Once again. I don't know the extent of what went on with Watkins since most or all of it was removed. Their were some twitter users trolling him and he likely took the bait and overreacted. Grown men should grow up. If this is the extent of what "motivates" a player, I worry about that player. A player should be motivated to be the best player, best teammate, and to win. Being motivated to "prove the doubters wrong" is immature and can have the opposite effect. So apply that to anything Quez said on my behalf. 

I'm optimistic about Quez because of the positives he has shown so far. His reaction /overreaction on twitter to comments about the Zaccheaus signing are a bit concerning for a young player that I just want to see mature as a player. I expect the WR room including Watkins to be welcoming to Zaccheaus. I think the reaction Watkins had was toward fans' tweets and not the signing. It's still immature, IMO. 

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

For the record, I'm not a fan of any player venting, taunting, trolling, etc... on social media. It always comes across as immature. 

Once Again, I wasn't comparing Jalen to Quez. I was comparing fans' reactions to  players that didn't do everything fans wanted them to do. You can jump on whatever boat you choose. You can be negative and pessimistic and eventually be right (lots of players fail) or be optimistic and eventually be right (lots of player do improve and/or succeed). 

You know darn well who I was talking about. If you don't, then honestly, you're a lost cause.

I read a lot of pieces from the draft and before the 2021 season on all the extra work Quez was putting in to get better. So on the work ethic part, yes, I heard praise and saw evidence. Leadership? We're talking WRs here. They aren't "leaders" outside of work ethic. 

Even though no matter how many times I point this out, you can't process this, I'll reiterate: I was comparing fans and their criticisms --- not players. 

The Eagles were fresh off extending Wentz as the face of the franchise when they drafted Hurts, They had just lost Foles after he voided his deal to remain the QB2. They drafted Hurts to be a QB2. That was obvious. What they didn't plan for was how 2020 played out. That changed everything. But everybody in that draft class was brought in to compete for roster spots, and a role on the team. They were in fact viewed the same way.  After 2021, what did the Eagles think of Watkins?

Sirianni after the 2021 season ended (before Brown was acquired) --- "I look at Quez Watkins as our number two wide receiver, and he’s got big-time speed. He has a knack to make plays. Quez has big-play ability in him, and I think out of the number two wideouts I’ve been around in the NFL, he can be one of the best number two’s that I have been around in the NFL because of his skill set.”

So ... who again were the Eagles unimpressed with when they traded for Brown? The other Jalen (Reagor). It's amazing how you twist facts. 

Show me where I blamed the team or other players to defend Watkins. 

The funny thing about Watkins and this thread is that there are a couple directions this thread has gone and I've remained in the middle. You're confusing me with some of the things EagleVA has said. Smith and Brown are two amazing WRs and Watkins has not reached their level of play. Nobody is holding Watkins back. He has a role on this team and needs to take advantage of every opportunity. In 2022, he failed to do that. Whatever he allowed to affect his play (including the injury) is on him alone. He needs to correct that. I, personally, believe players experience slumps and that's what he went through last season. Just like with Jalen (Hurts) coming off last season, I feel like there was enough good play from Watkins over the last 2 seasons to believe he can right the ship and become a very good, reliable player for us. 

On to the social media crap. I don't know what it is with WRs that they tend to be the most infamous group on the internet. I would prefer they (all players) learn to understand that much of what they post appears unprofessional and immature. Once again. I don't know the extent of what went on with Watkins since most or all of it was removed. Their were some twitter users trolling him and he likely took the bait and overreacted. Grown men should grow up. If this is the extent of what "motivates" a player, I worry about that player. A player should be motivated to be the best player, best teammate, and to win. Being motivated to "prove the doubters wrong" is immature and can have the opposite effect. So apply that to anything Quez said on my behalf. 

I'm optimistic about Quez because of the positives he has shown so far. His reaction /overreaction on twitter to comments about the Zaccheaus signing are a bit concerning for a young player that I just want to see mature as a player. I expect the WR room including Watkins to be welcoming to Zaccheaus. I think the reaction Watkins had was toward fans' tweets and not the signing. It's still immature, IMO. 

Immaturity is part of development and that is just one more red flag when it comes to this player. Every player makes mistakes, but how does the player respond when they happen is what matters most. When I see Quez he doesn’t appear to handle any adversity well. The best thing Watkins has going for himself is he’s fast and speed can’t be taught. Speed players don’t always pan out though. If a player isn’t physically and mentally ready to put in the work then they aren’t going to improve. Do I want Quez to be better? Absolutely, but I have serious concerns, because he doesn’t appear to be physically or mentally ready to be that guy. To me Quez seems more like Carson than Jalen. He (like Carson struggled in his performance when the Eagles brought in competition. He didn’t rise above it, rather he seemed to get frustrated by it and that showed on the field. Quez is in no place to be angry at anyone other than himself. The criticism Quez dealt with is a drop in a bucket compared to what Jalen had to endure from the moment he was drafted to Philly. Meanwhile Quez can’t handle the Eagles brining in some competition or some Twitter razzing? He needs to toughen up physically and mentally if he wants to play in Philly. Again I like Quez Watkins. Of the three receivers the Eagles drafted that year he was the one I was most excited about. Best case scenario is he goes in there and balls out next year, but he’s done nothing to deserve any kind of special treatment from the Eagles or the fans at this point. Go earn the job or be gone. 

30 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

... but he’s done nothing to deserve any kind of special treatment from the Eagles or the fans at this point. Go earn the job or be gone. 

Nobody said he has. Nobody is asking for special treatment. Nobody has beaten him out for his role yet either. 

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Nobody said he has. Nobody is asking for special treatment. Nobody has beaten him out for his role yet either. 

All I’m saying is he has to prove he belongs. Not sure why that bothered you from the beginning. Quez Watkins is the only person responsible for the position he’s in right now. 

Y'all argue too much over the 4th or 5th receiving option on this roster :lol:

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Y'all argue too much over the 4th or 5th receiving option on this roster :lol:

"But Quez is our No. 3 receiver. There will be competition for it just like there was when Zach [Pascal] was here for different roles within that. But we're excited about Quez. I'm really excited with our new addition.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-nick-sirianni-howie-roseman-back-quez-watkins-after-adding-wr

According to Sirianni this is their number 3 receiver.