EMB Blog: 2022 Post-Season - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

10 minutes ago, mattwill said:

For those of you who remember the question I posed earlier today in the prior Blog …  What is the one Philadelphia team that has had the most influence on Philadelphia sports fans? … the team I had in mind as the most influential on Philadelphia sports fans was/is the 1964 Phillies team.

The '64 Phillies?

Was your question meant to include dead Philadelphia sports fans?

• Replies 37.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a couple of days to settle down, I still feel good about our SB chances. The "49ers should be favourites" drum is now beating nationally at full-force. The Eagles play better with a chip on their shoulder.

Teams that defined my fandom…

1993 Phillies.  My first vivid memory following a Philly sports team.  Phillies were my first passionate team to follow.

Legion of doom Flyers.  My first complete experience of the rise and fall of a Philly "dynasty.”  

2002 Eagles.  The AR/Mcnabb Eagles were my transition into football being my favorite spectator sport.  I was playing HS football for much of the early part of that run and really started to get into the sport, whereas baseball and hockey previously occupied most of my mind.  This was also the team that gave me the realization that being a Philadelphia sports fan was going to be a mostly unpleasant experience.

the late 70s eagles football team, Jaws, Carmichael, my favorite wilbur montgomery

14 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

The '64 Phillies?

Was your question meant to include dead Philadelphia sports fans?

I think he meant that the negativity that resulted from that collapse has been passed down from generation to generation, and that a general sense of pessimism is now commonplace. 

5 minutes ago, olsilverhair said:

the late 70s eagles football team, Jaws, Carmichael, my favorite wilbur montgomery

No politics 

1 minute ago, schuy7 said:

No politics 

wow, I forgot, thanks for reminding me

4 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I think he meant that the negativity that resulted from that collapse has been passed down from generation to generation, and that a general sense of pessimism is now commonplace. 

I know, I know.  My dad spoke of them often.  Were up 6 and half games with two weeks left in the season.  Then Jack Baldson (sp?) loses both ends of a double-header.  They proceed to lose ten in a row and blow the pennant to the Cardinals.

43 minutes ago, mattwill said:

For those of you who remember the question I posed earlier today in the prior Blog …  What is the one Philadelphia team that has had the most influence on Philadelphia sports fans? … the team I had in mind as the most influential on Philadelphia sports fans was/is the 1964 Phillies team.

A serious answer, the 2017 Eagles.  Ended the 25-year championship drought.  Popped the anguish bubble. 

The frustration around the fortunes of the current teams is much lower than it could be otherwise.

Just thinking on the Broncos - Wilson is a great example of why giving a player a guaranteed contract may not be a great idea.  Denver are stuck with him for 2 more years with little flex to get out of it even if they wanted to.

2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

A serious answer, the 2017 Eagles.  Ended the 25-year championship drought.  Popped the anguish bubble. 

The frustration around the fortunes of the current teams is much lower than it could be otherwise.

What does this mean?

This blog jinxed the Eagles winning the super bowl

31 minutes ago, olsilverhair said:

Im here now

You own this thread like @hputenisowned your virginity 

2 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Some stuff on Vic Fangio.  Apparently he has been paid HC money to chill

Not sure he told anyone in Philly that

Pretty sure he just means he had a year left on his contract when Denver fired him, so he's getting paid to do nothing. Which is also why he is a "consultant" instead of having a formal role, because then he can double dip. 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

over/under on someone saying craziest thing in 30 years is set at 2.5 

I will take the under

48 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Fastest blog in the last 30 years.  

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Pretty sure he just means he had a year left on his contract when Denver fired him, so he's getting paid to do nothing. Which is also why he is a "consultant" instead of having a formal role, because then he can double dip. 

Totally.  It just implies he's been on the couch, but he's been in Philly doing stuff.  An NFL insider/reporter should know that

17 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I know, I know.  My dad spoke of them often.  Were up 6 and half games with two weeks left in the season.  Then Jack Baldson (sp?) loses both ends of a double-header.  They proceed to lose ten in a row and blow the pennant to the Cardinals.

My father was a Cardinals fan. He hated the Phillies because he grew up rooting for the Athletics and resented the Phillies existence. He loved that collapse. Once the A’s moved, he was all in on the Cardinals. 

Thankfully he abandoned the Cards by the time I was old enough to care about sports and I became a Phillies fan. 

1 minute ago, UK Eagle said:

Totally.  It just implies he's been on the couch, but he's been in Philly doing stuff.  An NFL insider/reporter should know that

Yea, he could have worded it better. It's also hard to say exactly what he was or is doing for Philly. I always thought it was curious the one who broke the news was Michael Kist who isn't a reporter at all instead of someone that actually covers the team. If I had to guess, I think I would lean to his involvement being minimal. 

Archived