EMB Blog: 2022 Post-Season - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 37.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Anybody have to work tomorrow 

My company gives us a paid week off between Xmas and New Years, so I don’t go back til Monday. 

47 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Pessimism is a state of mind.  As Grantland Rice said, "Its not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game. Failure isn't bad if it doesn't attack the heart. Success is all right if it doesn't go to the head.”

24 minutes ago, mattwill said:

If you are a fan of the sport itself, then your statement is patently false.  If you re not particularly a fan of the sport, but rather identify with the final scores of the contests, then you are correct.  Over time, the idealism of the former has evolved into the jaded winner take all attitude of the latter.

I prefer to be results driven, demand more, and not romanticize over less.  But I have no problem with you doing you and me doing me.

41 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Mon - Friday regardless of Holidays

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

@Bacarty2 is not banned. He just hasnt logged in since the 12th.

Even if he had a 2 week suspension, he would have been back today. Hes just staying away. Must have lost a bet.

Probably found another site to troll while he was suspended 

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

Have a year-end project that finishes tomorrow.

Gowton on their latest pod went on a rant that I was basically thinking word for word the last couple days. He basically said he's so sick and tired of hearing about "Omg the secondary got beat because they didn't have Avonte Maddox!" Other teams have injuries and they figure it out. If your entire pass defense falls to crap because you lose one slot CB, that should not happen. Gannon, figure it out dude.

Gowton kinda went in on Gannon in their latest episode and I credit him for doing it because people will just blindly point to stats and equate that to him doing great, but you have to be willing to call someone out when they're not doing something well.

5 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Gowton on their latest pod went on a rant that I was basically thinking word for word the last couple days. He basically said he's so sick and tired of hearing about "Omg the secondary got beat because they didn't have Avonte Maddox!" Other teams have injuries and they figure it out. If your entire pass defense falls to crap because you lose one slot CB, that should not happen. Gannon, figure it out dude.

Gowton kinda went in on Gannon in their latest episode and I credit him for doing it because people will just blindly point to stats and equate that to him doing great, but you have to be willing to call someone out when they're not doing something well.

Sir thats not allowed here

9 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

We have missed Maddox for a chunk of the season. And the backups have occasionally been beaten. But not nearly enough to actually cost us any games.

If anyone has been complaining about that a lot throughout the season they were just being babies.

If they complained about it after the Dallas game, its fair because Scott had a really bad game and it actually resulted in a loss. One of only 2 on the whole season.

Gannon has not just missed Maddox for a large chunk of the season, but he also has been missing Gardner-Johnson, and even quickly lost his backup.

We have been down a nickel, and on our 3rd safety.

Gannon has done a pretty damn good job "figuring it out".

Our defense has remained top 2 in the league and ranking top 2 or 1 in just about every possible category.

Literally no one has anything to complain about. If I was Gowton, I wouldnt want to hear it. And I dont want to hear it from him either.

7 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

BLG was sick and tired of being 13-1 before Saturday?  Sounds like him, alright.

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

I think really good coaches don’t need all their players to be healthy to have success. If you need everything perfect to work then it’s not realistic because guys are always going to get hurt or be out. I give Jim Schwartz a lot of credit in 2018 because that entire secondary got decimated at corner with mills, darby and maddox all missing time and yet he was still able to patch it together by the end of the year where they were actually somewhat decent and playing well. Heck Leblanc looked fantastic for a stretch. 

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

We have missed Maddox for a chunk of the season. And the backups have occasionally been beaten. But not nearly enough to actually cost us any games.

If anyone has been complaining about that a lot throughout the season they were just being babies.

If they complained about it after the Dallas game, its fair because Scott had a really bad game and it actually resulted in a loss.

Gannon has not just missed Maddox for a large chunk of the season, but he also has been missing Gardner-Johnson, and even quickly lost his backup.

Our defense has remained top 2 in the league and ranking top 2 or 1 in just about every possible category.

Literally no one has anything to complain about. If I was Gowton, I wouldnt want to hear it. And I dont want to hear it from him either.

It was more glaring during the Dallas game because Lamb is a good receiver and he takes a majority of his snaps from the slot. So both statements can be true: the game changed and was potentially lost with Maddox going out and they need to do a better job figuring it out without him because he’s an injury prone player. They need Gardner Johnson back bad. I think they can survive the middle of the field getting destroyed with only one of them out but if both him and Maddox don’t come back they’re in serious trouble there and good coaches like Shanahan will take advantage of that if they see them in the playoffs. 

44 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I prefer to be results driven, demand more, and not romanticize over less.  But I have no problem with you doing you and me doing me.

I have no problem with you being you either. However, your concept of a results driven, high demand approach is a bit myopic. Take for instance the final shot of the May 2019 Sixers playoff series. It was perfectly results driven and high quality.  But I suspect it didn’t satisfy you.

Just now, BDawk_ASamuel said:

It was more glaring during the Dallas game because Lamb is a good receiver and he takes a majority of his snaps from the slot. So both statements can be true: the game changed and was potentially lost with Maddox going out and they need to do a better job figuring it out without him because he’s an injury prone player. They need Gardner Johnson back bad. I think they can survive the middle of the field getting destroyed with only one of them out but if both him and Maddox don’t come back they’re in serious trouble. 

yeah. Its not just Maddox going out. We have dealt with that before, this season. Its Johnson AND your biggest playmaking safety being out. And for the most part, theyve figured it out each week.

Bradberry was flat footed on one CeeDee TD. And the offense turned the ball over 4 times.

A lot of things happened that had nothing to do with Maddox/Scott, and nothing to do with the defense at all.

Yes, the defense had a let down game this week. Yes, 3rd and 30 is embarrassing.

And yes, its idiotic to pretend Gannon has been a problem this season at all.

He said Gannon is his #1 concern(excluding the recent injuries) going into the playoffs, and I agree. His track record when racing top level QBs has not been great. That doesn't mean he can't get credit for some of the things they've been successful with this year, but the playoffs are going to give us a better picture of how well coached this defense is, because there's no denying their talent. So if they get absolutely lit up in a playoff game in Philly, it's going to be a problem. Let's hope it doesn't come to that and the defense plays great and it's much ado about nothing.

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

Yes, but it's from the comfort of home.

My boss (me) said I could drink tonight.

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

He said Gannon is his #1 concern(excluding the recent injuries) going into the playoffs, and I agree. His track record when racing top level QBs has not been great. That doesn't mean he can't get credit for some of the things they've been successful with this year, but the playoffs are going to give us a better picture of how well coached this defense is, because there's no denying their talent. So if they get absolutely lit up in a playoff game in Philly, it's going to be a problem. Let's hope it doesn't come to that and the defense plays great and it's much ado about nothing.

It’s a fair concern to have. I think all of us know, but don’t necessarily want to say out loud that this defense has had a fairly easy schedule this year when it comes to opposing quarterbacks. That’s a big reason for the positive numbers we’ve seen across the board. And the good news is that they don’t have to go through Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, and Burrow in the playoffs unless if they get to the big game. But running into Dak again or maybe even Cousins a second go around would concern me. 

2 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

You’re kidding, right?  Epps and Blankenship at safety, and Josiah Scott at nickel.  

I don’t think any of those three players possess NFL talent.  Depth is a problem.  You can hide Epps if CGJ and Maddox are surrounding him as well as Slay and Bradberry.  You can’t hide all three of those guys in the middle of the secondary 

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

I buy in to the theory that they werent showing Dallas a whole lot. Bradberry and Slay didnt appear to be on their game either.

Dak got the ball out very quickly mostly all game. Which meant his WRs were open that quickly as well.

Typically, youd see PDs from our DBs on those quick passes. Even LBs getting in to those passing lanes.

The goal of this D is to let the front 4 rush on their own so everyone else can be in coverage. Theres no way it should have been that easy to dice us up on quick passes all game long. And then hit a 54 yarder on 3rd and 30 just because they needed to. They did whatever they wanted. Over a 15 game season, our D has proven enough to me in the 14 other games to where I believe they just werent showing stuff.

Strong likelihood we see Dallas as our first playoff opponent. Woulda been kind of dumb to shot much in this game that didnt matter.

Beat the saints with ease. Rest. Unload on Dallas in a few weeks with stuff that they didnt see coming.

10 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

If they complained about it after the Dallas game, its fair because Scott had a really bad game and it actually resulted in a loss. One of only 2 on the whole season.

Saturday was Dallas' first playoff game. They brought more urgency and a strategy. This time of year is all about  matchups. The deep and intermediate middle has been exposed. Running your best WR out of the slot was a tactic that Washington and now Dallas have used effectively. This is a bit more than just having coaching scheme to overcome weaknesses. It is about personnel and having people with the right skills. They got a couple weeks to figure it out so hopefully people can step up.

1 minute ago, aptosbird said:

Saturday was Dallas' first playoff game. They brought more urgency and a strategy. This time of year is all about  matchups. The deep and intermediate middle has been exposed. Running your best WR out of the slot was a tactic that Washington and now Dallas have used effectively. This is a bit more than just having coaching scheme to overcome weaknesses. It is about personnel and having people with the right skills. They got a couple weeks to figure it out so hopefully people can step up.

Washington and Dallas both needed our offense to turn the ball over 4 times.

Thats more costly than a nickel CB occasionally being beaten. Not worried about the D at all against ANY NFC opponent. And not really concerned about the offense either despite those turnovers.

Archived