EMB Blog: 2022 Post-Season - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

We've also added more leg room and expanded the snack bar.

Just like the airlines.

• Replies 37.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

The '64 Phillies?

Was your question meant to include dead Philadelphia sports fans?

All Philadelphia sports fans.  What is the lasting legacy of the’64 Phillies? A legacy that defines the majority,if not the overwhelming majority, of Philadelphia sports fans to this day?

2 hours ago, mattwill said:

For those of you who remember the question I posed earlier today in the prior Blog …  What is the one Philadelphia team that has had the most influence on Philadelphia sports fans? … the team I had in mind as the most influential on Philadelphia sports fans was/is the 1964 Phillies team.

Having lived through that time, the 64 Phillies were the perfect metaphor for Philly sports in the 60s and early 70s.  The thrill of watching a Joe Kuharich coached Eagles team, the brilliance of Gene Mauch as he managed the Phillies on an endless road to mediocrity, all capped by the utter futility of the 76ers going 9 - 73 in the 72/73 season.  Thank God for the Broad Street Bullies.

2 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Teams that defined my fandom…

1993 Phillies.  My first vivid memory following a Philly sports team.  Phillies were my first passionate team to follow.

Legion of doom Flyers.  My first complete experience of the rise and fall of a Philly "dynasty.”  

2002 Eagles.  The AR/Mcnabb Eagles were my transition into football being my favorite spectator sport.  I was playing HS football for much of the early part of that run and really started to get into the sport, whereas baseball and hockey previously occupied most of my mind.  This was also the team that gave me the realization that being a Philadelphia sports fan was going to be a mostly unpleasant experience.

Interesting that your comment led with an upbeat tone, but closed on the downbeat … a true Philadelphia fan, pessimistic at the core.

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The Blogs favorite 

Yuck, I’m almost tempted to check if the game is on my regular Swedish sports channel and listen to the local idiots 

1 hour ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I know, I know.  My dad spoke of them often.  Were up 6 and half games with two weeks left in the season.  Then Jack Baldson (sp?) loses both ends of a double-header.  They proceed to lose ten in a row and blow the pennant to the Cardinals.

Passed down from father to son … and daughter … a legacy 

1 hour ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

A serious answer, the 2017 Eagles.  Ended the 25-year championship drought.  Popped the anguish bubble. 

The frustration around the fortunes of the current teams is much lower than it could be otherwise.

Agreed.  But is it just a veneer? With the anguish simply simmering below the surface?  Fo, Fo and Fo pushed the anguish aside, but it came back with a vengeance.

@Bacarty2 is not banned. He just hasnt logged in since the 12th.

Even if he had a 2 week suspension, he would have been back today. Hes just staying away. Must have lost a bet.

15 minutes ago, Mlodj said:

Having lived through that time, the 64 Phillies were the perfect metaphor for Philly sports in the 60s and early 70s.  The thrill of watching a Joe Kuharich coached Eagles team, the brilliance of Gene Mauch as he managed Phillies on an endless road to mediocrity, all capped by the utter futility of the 76ers going 9 - 73 in the 72/73 season.  Thank God for the Broad Stret Bullies.

I was too young to remember ‘64 but I remember those horrible late 60s / early 70s teams. Winning the Cup and beating the Russians turned things around. Just a few years later and it was Schmidt/Lefty/Bowa, DrJ/Mo, and Wilbert/Harold plus the Flyers.

10 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

@Bacarty2 is not banned. He just hasnt logged in since the 12th.

Even if he had a 2 week suspension, he would have been back today. Hes just staying away. Must have lost a bet.

He has been suspended previously, so I am guessing, just like me, he got a month suspension.

1 minute ago, DrPhilly said:

I was too young to remember ‘64 but I remember those horrible late 60s / early 70s teams. Winning the Cup and bearing the Russians turned things around. Just a few years later and it was Schmidt/Lefty/Bowa, DrJ/Mo, and Wilbert/Harold plus the Flyers.

Everything you listed in your closing sentences justifies being an optimist, but I suspect that if you had to describe yourself as a fan, pessimistic would be closer than optimistic.  That is true for most of us.  The term Negadelphian has great strength.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

He has been suspended previously, so I am guessing, just like me, he got a month suspension.

but you were able to login. His says he hasnt been here since the 12th.

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

but you were able to login. His says he hasnt been here since the 12th.

Maybe he can but chooses not to.  Do you really think he could stay away on his own ??

Dallas is going to lose to TN.  Because that would be so perfect.*

*From the perspective of making Dallas miserable. 

Just now, downundermike said:

Maybe he can but chooses not to.  Do you really think he could stay away on his own ??

I assumed he finally just started posting on the Steelers message board.

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I assumed he finally just started posting on the Steelers message board.

I assume he has been, forever.

We will have our answers in 2 weeks................

8 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Everything you listed in your closing sentences justifies being an optimist, but I suspect that if you had to describe yourself as a fan, pessimistic would be closer than optimistic.  That is true for most of us.  The term Negadelphian has great strength.

Mostly yes but not always. From the moment P Robinson returned the int for a TD I thought we’d win that game and the bowl. Just felt like it was finally time. I think we win this Sunday and then beat Dallas in our 1st playoff game. Going to be tough thereafter. 

39 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Interesting that your comment led with an upbeat tone, but closed on the downbeat … a true Philadelphia fan, pessimistic at the core.

Well there’s no worse return on investment than passionate professional spectator sports…and Philly has been one of the most up and down.  Pessimism is earned.

28 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Well there’s no worse return on investment than passionate professional spectator sports…and Philly has been one of the most up and down.  Pessimism is earned.

Pessimism is a state of mind.  As Grantland Rice said, "Its not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game. Failure isn't bad if it doesn't attack the heart. Success is all right if it doesn't go to the head.”

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Well our 3 TE formation usually doesn’t work cause i don’t think we actually have 3 tight ends that make it worthwhile to run. 

48 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Well there’s no worse return on investment than passionate professional spectator sports

If you are a fan of the sport itself, then your statement is patently false.  If you re not particularly a fan of the sport, but rather identify with the final scores of the contests, then you are correct.  Over time, the idealism of the former has evolved into the jaded winner take all attitude of the latter.

Archived