GDT: Super Bowl LVII, Kansas City Chiefs vs Philadelphia Eagles, 2-12-23, 6:30 PM EST

EagleJoe8

1 minute ago, judunno said:

There's no debate that Mahomes is great. What you're not acknowledging is that Reid isn't the same coach that he was when he was in Philly. Give that man his due. He changed with the league and evolved.

What I am telling you is Reid is only assumed to be different because his quarterback is different. McNabb or any of his other options are not in the same league as Mahomes. When you have the best player on the planet it makes the job a whole lot easier. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also what's frustrating is that we made it so easy for the Chiefs. They didn't really have to do anything hard. I didn't see any particularly amazing throws or super difficult catches made or unbelievable runs.

On the other hand we left WRs open. Didn't pressure Mahomes. Hurts fumbled the ball even without being touched. 

Not sure what all this means but maybe they're just a much better team.

17 minutes ago, judunno said:

Have you paid attention to how Reid calls games? Especially in the big games? He's absolutely a changed man.

No time mismanagement.

RAN the ball ALL DAY.  Wasn't it within 2 carries of perfectly balanced?

WON his challenge.

Totally different A Reid.  Literally 100% different Andy.  

8 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Also what's frustrating is that we made it so easy for the Chiefs. They didn't really have to do anything hard. I didn't see any particularly amazing throws or super difficult catches made or unbelievable runs.

On the other hand we left WRs open. Didn't pressure Mahomes. Hurts fumbled the ball even without being touched. 

Not sure what all this means but maybe they're just a much better team.

Those guys were wide open because of designs. That ish was beautiful... masterful. They were not the better team... they were the better prepared... better coached team. They squeaked out this win and that was their edge.

15 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

What I am telling you is Reid is only assumed to be different because his quarterback is different. McNabb or any of his other options are not in the same league as Mahomes. When you have the best player on the planet it makes the job a whole lot easier. 

His play calling is different my dude. He stayed relevant because he stumbled upon a GOAT AND he changed his approach. You can do both you know they aren't mutually exclusive.

This is pretty much the ONLY sports team I root for, so, efffff, today feels like I got punched in the gut, face, back, shoulder etc…☹️

25 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Reid won with that guy, but he knew he needed to upgrade. 

Again every coach wants to draft HIS guy ... his own QB. Alex Smith was just a book mark.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Did you notice that the commentators said the Eagles went through multiple cleats while the Chiefs went through none? Do you remember the pile of replacement cleats they showed of the Eagles? Now why is it the Eagles didn’t realize that field would be bad when they already played their earlier in the season, but the Chiefs knew? Look I’m really not into a bunch of conspiracy theories, but either someone tipped Reid and the Chiefs off on that terrible field or Sirianni and the staff had some gross negligence. The Chiefs offensive players were literally stopping at one spot and going in a different direction while the defense just slid everywhere. 

I thought they said the turf was just installed 2 weeks ago.  If that’s the case. I wonder it was crap. 

To me up 14-7, and driving to potentially make it a 21-7 lead, Hurts drops back, fumbles and the Chiefs run it back for a TD and tie the score 14-14 was a major reason for losing the game. Lose the turnover battle you usually lose the game. 

There are a lot of other reasons we lost, but the above, was just a killer. 

Gannon was another major reason why we lost. If the front 4 isn't getting to the QB, he needs to try something different, like a blitz. 

Finally, doesn't the Corner know that if your guy is in motion to the other side you shadow him and not run past him so that he can change direction and beat you back to where he came from. Poor technique Gannon's fault for not correcting it since they scored on that Gadget play twice. 

2 minutes ago, nceagle20 said:

I thought they said the turf was just installed 2 weeks ago.  If that’s the case. I wonder it was crap. 

Yes, it was brand new grass that they had never used before. It was installed weeks before the game and the players never got to practice on it until game day. 

5 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

To me up 14-7, and driving to potentially make it a 21-7 lead, Hurts drops back, fumbles and the Chiefs run it back for a TD and tie the score 14-14 was a major reason for losing the game. Lose the turnover battle you usually lose the game. 

Gannon was another major reason why we lost. If the front 4 isn't getting to the QB, he needs to try something different, like a blitz. 

Finally, doesn't the Corner know that if your guy is in motion to the other side you shadow him and not run past him so that he can change direction and beat you back to where he came from. Poor technique Gannon's fault for not correcting it since they scored on that Gadget play twice. 

Once it was clear that the edge rushers were slipping when they cut to turn the corner, Gannon should have adjusted with more direct line blitzes. To be outdone by Andy Reid with halftime adjustments, never Andy's forte, exposed Gannon yet again. His record of getting torched by top tier QBs is intact.

4 hours ago, The Norseman said:

Coupla things nagging me today...gotta get em off my chest

1.) No excuse for losing the battles in the trenches yesterday.  We have invested too much money on our offensive and defensive lines to get that kind of production from them in the post season.  

2.) After the first quarter I actually thought we did a pretty good job covering Kelce, the Chiefs game plan then became the Pacheco and Mahomes show and we couldn't stop either one of them on the ground. 

3.) Getting plays in on time was an issue all day.  I don't remember how many times I screamed at the TV "snap the f'n ball" with one second left.  Thankfully it only burned them with one delay of game, but that should never happen in the super bowl. 

4.) Terrible punt and coverage to set up big KC return.  I still don't know how we gave that up. 

5.) Jalen fumble/TD return was unacceptable, but also a by-product of not being able to adequately protect him

6.) Inability to adjust after a halftime.  Andy clearly changed things up, but we were not able to adjust our coverage in a way to get a single defensive stop in the second half.  Gannon got completely outcoached in this game. 

Ok, I think I'm done...

Boom. Good post. Still two poor decisions didn't help. I do genuinely think Devonta Smith had control of the ball and I do think that play would have been crucial.

In fairness KC didn't make an error that I can think of. Couple of low snaps and a couple of encroachments.  Very few penalties that I can recall. But then again without being hyper critical I thought we played a good game until Q4. Still burns though

I thought most of the designed QB runs were poorly designed and also not the right choice against the defenses presented to them. The one that led to the fumble/return TD I was wondering why the hell they called the designed run. From what the defense was showing it made no sense. It didn't really bite them, but it gave KC a glimmer of hope when we were stomping their throats in the first half.

I don't think that play ultimately decided the game, but it impacted momentum. Could have been a 3 score lead going into half-time, knowing we weren't getting the ball back to start the 2nd half.

I think Jalen makes poor mental decisions operating the run/pass option. He should be handing the ball off to the RB more, but instead, pulls the ball and runs right into a defender. He does this too many times per game, for my liking. 

1 hour ago, Bamabird said:

Do you really think we could have stopped them from scoring a TD if they had wanted to score a TD? If they needed 7 points to win, they would have scored a TD and only someone in denial can't see that!

Yes. They did it numerous times in the game. Including at the end of the game before the phantom call.

2 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Yes, it was brand new grass that they had never used before. It was installed weeks before the game and the players never got to practice on it until game day. 

Crazy. And anyone who’s ever laid sod knows it has to be kept wet for a little while for the roots to take hold 

59 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Turned out to be a difference of 3(4 w/ extra point) points based on miscues. That was certainly the difference in the game in terms of points and momentum. Fumble for 6 (7) and a missed FG (3). Giving up 24 points with no stops in the 2nd half is inexcusable though. Against a team with lesser talent they got out schemed. Pass rush could not get home mostly because of the designs to get the ball out quick and Mahomes legs (both of them... tricking youuuu).  They blitzed and played man in the red zone and Reid scorched them with plays that they scouted from the Jags and other teams that did some redzone scoring. Reid ate Ganon for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a midnight snack.

PS: Don't forget special teams that came back to bite us. Was a problem all year.

1 hour ago, jsdarkstar said:

I think Jalen makes poor mental decisions operating the run/pass option. He should be handing the ball off to the RB more, but instead, pulls the ball and runs right into a defender. He does this too many times per game, for my liking. 

I would agree but not in this game. Most of the reads the RB would have been crushed. They had a key or something on these plays. OL wasn't getting any push like normal. Typically I'd be like damn he should have handed that off... but I didn't see that much in this one.

1 hour ago, Devaster said:

Yes. They did it numerous times in the game. Including at the end of the game before the phantom call.

Not in the second half. Eagles were toast after the halftime adjustments. It's like the team found out RiRi was pregnant and gave up all hope. Additionally it wasn't really a phantom call. It was a legit hold  but they were letting them play through that type of stuff all game until that play for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, jsdarkstar said:

I'm just starting to dig into the post game opinions and analysis but I'm surprised by how little talk there is about how costly that Hurts fumble was. When it happened my first thought was that could really come back to bite us. I always thought we needed a push or win on the turnover front to win this game. It was clear that the Chiefs were able to move the ball on us and this game was going to be a shootout. I also question why we started Siposs. I wasn't comfortable starting him since he hasn't played in awhile. It just seemed to me the potential cons outweighed the pros of having him start.  While I agree with most everything else being said, I still keep coming back to the Hurts fumble and that punt as the two most costly self-inflicted wounds made in the game. Almost everything else you can give credit to the Chiefs as much as you can criticize the Eagles for.

Will everyone kindly stop embarrassing the rest of us with your "it was the field" and "it was the refs"?

Either get a handle on your cognitive bias or go join the Flat Earthers licking the interior window surfaces of short-wheelbase public school buses.

It was a tight game and the Eagles lost because they failed to adjust to the Chiefs' exploitation of a fundamental weakness in our defense.

17 hours ago, Southparkeagles said:

I sincerely hope we can bounce back next season. I hope it’s not a down year - a hangover. It’ll be tough with all the talent we have to try and retain, but hopefully Howie can work some contractual magic. We got some good picks coming up and we’re definitely an organization that players want to play for. We’re gonna be good for awhile. Hopefully good enough to get back to the big game and win it this time. 

It's a hangover when you WIN it. You are hungry the next year if you lost it in a close game. 💪🏼

17 hours ago, Carptom1 said:
23 hours ago, Davidj77 said:

Anyone criticizing Hurts is an idiot. He played at an elite level tonight, left it all on the field. The last play aside you guys lost it through line play. Our D-line put more pressure on Hurts than yours did on Mahomes and it wasn’t close. The punt return was a big play, but allowing us to run the exact play twice for touchdowns in the red zone twice late was unbelievable. This loss is on your defense 100%

38 minus 7 equals 31. The Eagles would have won 35-31 and been Super Bowl Champions again.... IF HURTS doesn't have a fumble and HAND THE 7 points, where nobody even touched him. It IS a big deal, but Hurts protectors want to duck it. HE cost us the Super Bowl- period.

Archived