EMB Blog: 2023 Offseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

While we should never be surprised about taking an OL at 10, I just don't see it with Lane's extension. If we want a RD1 OL, #30 just makes more sense. We can take a talented OT prospect who falls.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Does someone actually believe that Chad Lewis was as good as Dallas Goedert? Or was that supposed to be an April Fools joke? I hope so, anyway.

I didn’t but, prefacing this with the caveat that Goedert overall has better talent than Chad, I would say that when Chad got hurt in the 2004 season it was a bigger loss overall for the team than the games Goedert missed this past season.  Chad had an amazing ability to front the defense and shield the target.  His ability to catch worm burners was amazing. (Goedert wouldn’t be in the worms HOF but to them, Chad was the GOAT).  McNabb was addicted to that outlet. I would argue that losing Chad in the playoffs may have contributed as much to losing to the Pats as their cheating did. 

10 hours ago, Allhaildawk said:

Meh too few reps for the total yards to matter a whole lot. Look at bus YPC or yards per snap and I bet it would be a different metric. I’m honestly not sure that Howies ego is capable of drafting a high TE a year after he took a guy like GC and talked him up as a much better talent than his draft position suggests.  Listened to victor abiamiri being an up and coming DE who had totally reshaped his body for how many years?  S

i don’t see howie stepping on himself with a 4/5th rounder a year after a 6. Hey who knows we’ll see, I just don’t see it and think there’s a dropoff after the first 4 or so TE

If Calcaterra had been drafted after his final year at Oklahoma and not after his brief retirement, he might well have been seen as a second day talent.  

2 hours ago, wussbasket said:

Do you need to take a guard that high with Stout? If they are going to draft a OL high, they need to also project to be able to play RT. But then you run into the issue of Jurgens riding the bench again. 

It’s a good problem to have. Jurgens looked pretty good in his very limited action. Wonder if they give him first crack at RG and look into drafting OL high next year.

I love Stout but this pipedream that we can draft a lesser player and miracle Stout will turn him into a star is nonsense.  Got to give him good clay to work with. 

2 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I love Stout but this pipedream that we can draft a lesser player and miracle Stout will turn him into a star is nonsense.  Got to give him good clay to work with. 

Right

cant teach him traits. Why i go back and forth on skoronski

22 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

If Calcaterra had been drafted after his final year at Oklahoma and not after his brief retirement, he might well have been seen as a second day talent.  

It was always a gamble though, because there always was the possibility he was prone to concussions. It does seem like players who have gotten them in the past get them more than players who havent.

I don’t think it’s as much to do with how they play as just a physical quirk

39 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Sure, which is to say before concussion issues forced him out of the game. 

28 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

image.jpeg.5b5622ff62158e614734d99051731ea3.jpeg

Truth isn't slander except to those who can't accept

51 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Never said he could turn anybody into a star. The question I was asking was if we actually needed to draft a guard that high, even at 30. The idea is if they draft a guard that high, they are going to be a starter. That leaves Jurgens riding the bench again and the Eagles have wasted 2 years on his contract. 

Eagles should always continue to invest 1st and 2nd day picks in the OL. But this already isn’t that great of an OL draft, so why burn one this year when Jurgens may be able to play guard for a year?

If the Birds think Jurgens can play guard for a year, that’s great and one less position they have to worry about this draft. If they are going to draft OL that high this year, I would rather them project him to also play Tackle in 2-3 years once Lane is gone and since there’s not great depth there. 

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Where are you getting them?  I saw some internet trend where card collectors are going to The Dollar Store or Dollar General I believe and buying these mystery boxes that actually have some hidden gems in them.  I used to love card collecting.  It's how I began my uniform/equipment obsession.  I remember the card cases at the front of the grocery stores and getting 2-3 packs and how exciting that was.

I've just got a few packs from wal mart so far.  

Looking to order more singles off ebay

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

I didn’t but, prefacing this with the caveat that Goedert overall has better talent than Chad, I would say that when Chad got hurt in the 2004 season it was a bigger loss overall for the team than the games Goedert missed this past season.  Chad had an amazing ability to front the defense and shield the target.  His ability to catch worm burners was amazing. (Goedert wouldn’t be in the worms HOF but to them, Chad was the GOAT).  McNabb was addicted to that outlet. I would argue that losing Chad in the playoffs may have contributed as much to losing to the Pats as their cheating did. 

This is a stretch. You’re talking about a player who in 2004 has 267 yards, and that was after having 293 yards in 2003. He played in 31 of 32 games over those two seasons. He wasn’t a particularly effective player at that point. 

Chad was solid, very solid.  Goedert is better, a real weapon in his own right.

1 hour ago, Allhaildawk said:

Sure, which is to say before concussion issues forced him out of the game. 

Concussion issues isn’t accurate. He made the personal decision out of concern on long term impact from concussions to step away.  He was also looking at a possible change in direction from his college degree focus.   Certainly understand his reasoning. The damaged goods/committed to the game concerns dropped him in his draft rating despite a solid performance at SMU the year before. Benefited the Eagles who did their due diligence on him. IMHO, Stoll and Calcaterra make TE2 a lower BPA position than others for the team. 

48 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Never said he could turn anybody into a star. The question I was asking was if we actually needed to draft a guard that high, even at 30. The idea is if they draft a guard that high, they are going to be a starter. That leaves Jurgens riding the bench again and the Eagles have wasted 2 years on his contract. 

Eagles should always continue to invest 1st and 2nd day picks in the OL. But this already isn’t that great of an OL draft, so why burn one this year when Jurgens may be able to play guard for a year?

If the Birds think Jurgens can play guard for a year, that’s great and one less position they have to worry about this draft. If they are going to draft OL that high this year, I would rather them project him to also play Tackle in 2-3 years once Lane is gone and since there’s not great depth there. 

I think Jurgens is the RG at this point for 2023 but the C for 2024.  Think OL comes down to BPA.  The best value at G/T is probably late first, early second but G is probably good to the Eagles second round choice.  Really is a BPA decision.  But this draft plays out as a maximize value/BPA draft for the Eagles. Howie and his evaluators have to trust their board and monitor offers based on how the board plays out. 

I see quite a few prospects who are possibilities at #30, but not #10.  Those include:

DT Kancey, Mazi Smith, OG Torrence, WR JSN, RB Gibbs, CB Banks, Porter Jr.

If the Eagles pick at #10 it comes down to Wilson, Murphy, Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Van Ness, or Carter (only because of position if the Eagles investigators clear him). 

30 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

This is a stretch. You’re talking about a player who in 2004 has 267 yards, and that was after having 293 yards in 2003. He played in 31 of 32 games over those two seasons. He wasn’t a particularly effective player at that point. 

Maybe a bit hyperbolic but Chad was McNabb’s safety blanket. Not basing on stats.  Just like Greg Lewis can’t be evaluated on stats but on his first down gaining stop routes. Chad made so many third and three, four catches off the ground for McNabb extending drives.  Any game can come down to one or two drive extensions.  

I love Torrence but I think he’ll probably be gone by 30. But if he’s there, depending on who else is there, I’d be super tempted to take him.

I don’t think the Eagles would have interest at his current salary, but if he could be had cheaper, I think he could be of interest.

2 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Since the cheating was imaginary I would say the Lewis loss was bigger.

One dude lied about taping a Rams walkthrough. When asked to give details he fully recanted.

The tin foil crowd thought this meant they taped Eagles walkthroughs also. 🤣

The Eagles lost a 24-21 game as a -3 in turnovers team. They did not get cheated. McNabb cheated the team and the city out of a ring by giving the ball to New England all day long. Ty Law did not cheat on his pick 6 of Warner. The pressure caused a wild throw. Law was playing off the receiver and the ball hit him in the chest. NE already played St Louis that year so they had a full game of film to work on. 

McNabb's end zone pick - do over - end zone pick had nothing to do with NE knowing something other than McNabb folds up like a card table when the lights are brightest. Bruschi's pick that pretty much ended the game was an insanely bad overthrow. Did NE intercept the secret plans of McNabb to purposely miss a Rb on an underneath route by 10 yards? Did they intercept the secret LJ is going to fumble plan?  😂

NE had the Steelers killing the Eagles on film and they played the Steelers twice. The secret BB gameplan was a 5 man line to shut down Westbrook who was the bigger threat than McNabb and it worked perfectly. Westbrook had 1 meaningless clock killer 22 yard run before halftime and went 14 for 22 the rest of the game.

How much cheating does it require to focus on stopping the run?

Its pathetic that people are still crying about imaginary BS even after the team beat BB and Brady in 2017.

McNabb was a weak loser on the biggest day of his life. Own it already. Move on.

17 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

yep.

Mims as well is ok.

Whole bunch of 5'11-6'0'' guys with pretty average traits.

AT Perry is a bigger guy with speed, but drop issues. 

Id be excited about the speed of Mims, Hyatt, or even Jayden Reed. But I wont be banging the table for anyone.

I kind of only really want 1 WR in this draft and its only because of the potential value due to injury. I would be excited to take a chance on Demus. 

This class is so underwhelming. I feel if he had health on his side, he would be head and shoulders above any other prospect. Whenever he goes, the value will be fantastic. But a pretty big gamble.

I like Demus as a value pick. What's your thought on Andrei Isoivas?

I think in the right situation he could be a star.

2 hours ago, wussbasket said:

If they go with a OL at #10, it is certain a future RT to replace Johnson.  Not a huge problem if he would wait on the wing for one season and let Jurgens play RG.  If injury pops up at either OT position, the understudy can spring into action.  Johnson already has injury issues and may get worse with age.  It is prudent to have ready back-up.

5 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

If they go with a OL at #10, it is certain a future RT to replace Johnson.  Not a huge problem if he would wait on the wing for one season and let Jurgens play RG.  If injury pops up at either OT position, the understudy can spring into action.  Johnson already has injury issues and may get worse with age.  It is prudent to have ready back-up.

Jones written all over that plan

This talk of drafting a TE high because of them drafting Goedert when they had Ertz is ridiculous.

They wanted to run a 2 TE set back then mainly because Alshon was on his last legs and they had nothing else at WR.

They don't have to or want to run 12 personnel with the talent they have now.

Archived