EMB Blog: 2023 Offseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

Nasty Nate keeps believing. 

Your argument was no longer holding water, so we’ve moved to insults now? That’ll show em!

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Because the presence of AJ & Devonta makes me less concerned if Goedert goes down, and our backup TEs were productive enough. It’s not just CB, it’s DL/LB also. Once that Jalen contract hits, we’re limited on the shopping we can do in FA. This bargain bin FA strategy worked out exceptionally well last year, no guarantee it’ll happen again. The Eagles need to start developing homegrown defensive talent. Not to mention depth on the OL is a concern. I’m also more concerned about WR3 than TE2 at this moment. 

Once that Jalen contract hits, the Eagles are going to have a decision to make with Goedert sooner than later, just like they had to make when they had Ertz here.  After 2023, Goedert goes from $6 million to $19 million per year through 2025. Goedert will be 30 in 2025.  Ertz was 31 when he was traded and I think we can all argue they waited a year too long to trade Ertz. The highest annual cap number Ertz ever had with the Eagles, who made 3 Pro Bowls by age 29, was $12.5 million in 2020. 

Zach Ertz is arguably the greatest TE in Eagles history.  The Eagles gave him 1 contract extension during his time here and felt that he was replaceable once he hit 30.  One of the reasons I think they took Goedert when they did is that Ertz continuously failed to stay healthy, same problem Goedert has.  Goedert is a very good player, and he's hovering around the Keith Jackson/Chad Lewis level as far as Eagles TE's go.  Are the Eagles going to give him a 2nd extension?

So do the Eagles look to tie themselves to Goedert as he gets older or do they draft his potential replacement this year?  Ertz was 28 when the Eagles drafted Goedert.  Goedert is 28 so drafting a legit TE2 at this stage in his career wouldn't be crazy.  

The more I think about it, the more I think Howie is going to load up on offensive talent this draft.  If you have a $50 million QB, you aren't going to have the ability to surround him with two $100 million WR and a top 3 paid TE.  All of the 1-year gamble contracts that Howie has brought in this year were at positions of need.  DL, LB, S, CB. All of those players have very high pedigrees and were drafted within the top 4 rounds of recent drafts.  He's hoping 1 or 2 of those guys can tap in to their potential and bloom as Eagles, solving a lot of their defensive problems.  If he strikes gold with those players, he either extends them or they sign bigger deals next year and he can be the comp pick king again in 2025.  

I won't be surprised if the Eagles take a RB, TE or WR or a combination of two in the first 3 rounds.  I can easily see a situation where JSN is BPA and they pounce on him or if Bijan drops to the 20s and Howie moves up ahead of Dallas to take him.  I also think pick 10 will be a trade down situation for a DL.  

3 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Was thinking earlier today while out in a hike that I think the Eagles might go TE in round 2 or 3.  Goedert is about the age that Ertz was when the Eagles drafted Goedert.

Oh I’m RTK I think about drafting tight ends when I’m out on my ghey little hike… I hope @olsilverhair was waiting in the woods for you 

2 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

He's a 6th round draft pick that got injured and didn't show a whole lot.  Highly doubt if they look at him as the eventual replacement to Goedert.

Premature to look for a replacement in my mind. Calcaterra showed a little more than you’re letting on. Of all the places we could go in the draft, TE would be a huge luxury pick. More so than RB for sure 

TE2 would be down the list of needs for me, but I wouldn’t consider it a luxury pick at all.  Goedert missed 5 games last season, and Stoll had a total of 123 yards for the year.  Calcaterra had 81 yards all season.

Sirianni found a way to keep the offense humming without Goedert last season, but it sure wasn’t because Stoll and Calcaterra were plug-and-play.  

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

TE2 would be down the list of needs for me, but I wouldn’t consider it a luxury pick at all.  Goedert missed 5 games last season, and Stoll had a total of 123 yards for the year.  Calcaterra had 81 yards all season.

Sirianni found a way to keep the offense humming without Goedert last season, but it sure wasn’t because Stoll and Calcaterra were plug-and-play.  

They relied more on Quez when Goedert was out. 

Which didnt go so well.

TEs were good enough if the slot WR becomes more featured. But then, we can use an upgrade in the slot.

They should do one or the other. I really dont love the idea of drafting WR in this draft. Maybe theres a gem somewhere, but theyre all pretty underwhelming.

16 minutes ago, Allhaildawk said:

Premature to look for a replacement in my mind. Calcaterra showed a little more than you’re letting on. Of all the places we could go in the draft, TE would be a huge luxury pick. More so than RB for sure 

Not at all.  See my post earlier on this page comparing Goedert to Ertz and how the Eagles handled him.  It's not time to replace Goedert, but with the talent available in this draft at TE along with the impending Hurts contract and plethora of extensions needed to keep the majority of this group together, TE2 shouldn't be ignored at all.  Not a luxury pick at all.

6 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Which didnt go so well.

TEs were good enough if the slot WR becomes more featured. But then, we can use an upgrade in the slot.

They should do one or the other. I really dont love the idea of drafting WR in this draft. Maybe theres a gem somewhere, but theyre all pretty underwhelming.

If people are pushing JSN as a top 10 pick then WR in this draft is extremely underwhelming.  Personally, I prefer Addison and Hyatt but I wouldn’t spend a first round pick on them either.

8 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

If people are pushing JSN as a top 10 pick then WR in this draft is extremely underwhelming.  Personally, I prefer Addison and Hyatt but I wouldn’t spend a first round pick on them either.

yep.

Mims as well is ok.

Whole bunch of 5'11-6'0'' guys with pretty average traits.

AT Perry is a bigger guy with speed, but drop issues. 

Id be excited about the speed of Mims, Hyatt, or even Jayden Reed. But I wont be banging the table for anyone.

I kind of only really want 1 WR in this draft and its only because of the potential value due to injury. I would be excited to take a chance on Demus. 

This class is so underwhelming. I feel if he had health on his side, he would be head and shoulders above any other prospect. Whenever he goes, the value will be fantastic. But a pretty big gamble.

Just watched FAU-SDSU on DVR

Had a gig during the game

Owls lose on a last second buzzer beater 

Devastated but still proud of my Owls

They put my alma mater on the map

3 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Your argument was no longer holding water, so we’ve moved to insults now? That’ll show em!

I've been saying this for multiple replies since you don't get logic. So from now on Nasty Nate fan will be in every post.

3 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Helluva game. I feel awful for FAU though. 

I feel especially bad for the FAU players.  I felt the coach was responsible for the loss.

3 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Why not take advantage of an insanely deep TE class this year instead of waiting another year?  Goedert is on par to miss 4+ games every year.  He's a top 3 TE when he's on the field but that hasn't happened for a full 17 yet.  Howie can get more picks this year, at least I hope he can.  CB is probably 3 rounds deep in this draft and the Eagles are tied to their 30 year+ aging veterans and Maddox for at least another 2 years.  They can upgrade CB in other ways, hopefully by trading because I have no faith in Howie making a good draft pick at DB. 

The only reason is the limited number of picks.  Trader Howie can fix that though.

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

Which didnt go so well.

I think they talked to Mims but overall they’ve shown very little interest in WRs and TEs in this draft. Think they are focused elsewhere especially DL and OL as usual

Kempski said the sense he got from being at the owners meetings is the Eagles are going to go OL with their first pick.

17 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Kempski said the sense he got from being at the owners meetings is the Eagles are going to go OL with their first pick.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised and I don't think I'd be mad at it. 

It would suck because I've been almost dead set on Witherspoon or Gonzalez.  But if Stoutland has his eyes on one of the tackles...you have to give it to him.

Does someone actually believe that Chad Lewis was as good as Dallas Goedert? Or was that supposed to be an April Fools joke? I hope so, anyway.

3 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Not at all.  See my post earlier on this page comparing Goedert to Ertz and how the Eagles handled him.  It's not time to replace Goedert, but with the talent available in this draft at TE along with the impending Hurts contract and plethora of extensions needed to keep the majority of this group together, TE2 shouldn't be ignored at all.  Not a luxury pick at all.

Goeddert will restructure and be here past 2025.  Drafting a TE to ride pine for three seasons and see the field in his contract year.  That's the likely outcome of a TE.  We're not drafting TE first round so its a four year deal.  productive rookie TEs are an few and far between.  I just dont see it this year.  And i bet howie is pretty happy to have calcaterra and feel like he pulled one over on the league again.  You may not like it, but i'm telling you he's going to get a shot to be the guy. 

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

Not buying it unless it’s a steep trade-back.  It would mean either the #10 overall pick rides the pine all year, or your 2nd round pick rides the pine for two entire years.

In the midst of all this football thinking here is a change of pace. 

3 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Meh too few reps for the total yards to matter a whole lot. Look at bus YPC or yards per snap and I bet it would be a different metric. I’m honestly not sure that Howies ego is capable of drafting a high TE a year after he took a guy like GC and talked him up as a much better talent than his draft position suggests.  Listened to victor abiamiri being an up and coming DE who had totally reshaped his body for how many years?  S

i don’t see howie stepping on himself with a 4/5th rounder a year after a 6. Hey who knows we’ll see, I just don’t see it and think there’s a dropoff after the first 4 or so TE

6 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Does someone actually believe that Chad Lewis was as good as Dallas Goedert? Or was that supposed to be an April Fools joke? I hope so, anyway.

Different era and different type of players for sure.  I'm guessing Lewis is ranked higher because of how important he was to the team during the absolute dreck they had at WR when Donovan was here.  Goedert is going to blow Lewis's numbers out of the water when all is said and done.  Lewis was an inferior athlete but he was dependable, durable and a huge piece to those NFCC Eagles teams.

Lewis was a 3 time Pro Bowler and 2nd team All-Pro.  Goedert doesn't have anything to his name yet.  Not saying he won't but just comparing the two as of now. 

7 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

Well with Eagles history its a no brainer to take a guess on OL/DL/CB and even more lately under Howie...WR. Writers take guesses just like us. However they get paid for it.

Facts are no one really ever knows what the Eagles will do. They are one of the most secretive teams in the NFL. How many trades happen and we think "I didn't even know that guy was avail" Trade backs, Trade Ups, Trade for a player. Until the draft is over all options are avail and the guessing will get wild. These reporters need to get paid and only way is to put together some click bait on projections

Fresh Jalen Carter highlights just released.

Archived