EMB Blog: 2023 Offseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

It would be nothing like the XFL. Talent would spread across the new teams. They don’t prevent NFL caliber players from signing with Jacksonville or Carolina just because they’re expansion teams.

Do you think it is possible to have a worldwide league without countries worldwide having developmental football programs? The NBA went hard at China in terms of fostering developmental programs when it considered that an expansion market. If you look at Hockey, Baseball, Basketball, and Soccer, they all have a local base around the world and this gives them worldwide potential. Football has a deficit in this sense, I think, and this results in the problem of not generating enough high quality talent. In top of this, the US developmental programs are dwindling because of parental concerns about things like CTE. On the bright side, the travel issue might be addressed in 5-6 years with the reintroduction of hypersonic commercial travel. This would be less than current coast to coast travel, timewise. 

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

It would be nothing like the XFL. Talent would spread across the new teams. They don’t prevent NFL caliber players from signing with Jacksonville or Carolina just because they’re expansion teams.

And dilute the product across the board. You proved my point.

21 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Do you even know who the picture is?

Do you know who my gif is of?

16 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

Do you think it is possible to have a worldwide league without countries worldwide having developmental football programs? The NBA went hard at China in terms of fostering developmental programs when it considered that an expansion market. If you look at Hockey, Baseball, Basketball, and Soccer, they all have a local base around the world and this gives them worldwide potential. Football has a deficit in this sense, I think, and this results in the problem of not generating enough high quality talent. In top of this, the US developmental programs are dwindling because of parental concerns about things like CTE. On the bright side, the travel issue might be addressed in 5-6 years with the reintroduction of hypersonic commercial travel. This would be less than current coast to coast travel, timewise. 

If the number of teams got that big, eventually they’d have to have developmental systems in certain areas of the world. Just like Baseball in Japan, Americans brought it there and spread it around so it was a self sustaining sport in that country, now the second most prominent baseball country in the world. The NFL can get away with satellite teams in London, Mexico City, etc, but for a global sport you’re talking about countries with their own individual leagues, which would require their own individual self sustainment.

But I don’t think ever can be in most countries, or even as many as BBall or Baseball due to the sheer cost of fielding a team, much less many teams to develop a league.

For the CTE thing, there may be fewer high school football players, but that hasn’t reduced the number that go on to college and later the pros… just reduces the amount that play for a few years then go become engineers or accountants.

26 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

And dilute the product across the board. You proved my point.

Anything more than 2 teams is a completely diluted product by your perspective. That doesn’t mean  only having 2 teams is a strong league. The NFL today has 32 teams now and it never has been more popular. It’s not about the # of all pros per team, but the competitiveness between them. If we had 36 teams instead of 32, they’d still be the best football players on earth, albeit bottoms of rosters being diluted by some small %

7 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

If the number of teams got that big, eventually they’d have to have developmental systems in certain areas of the world. Just like Baseball in Japan, Americans brought it there and spread it around so it was a self sustaining sport in that country, now the second most prominent baseball country in the world. The NFL can get away with satellite teams in London, Mexico City, etc, but for a global sport you’re talking about countries with their own individual leagues, which would require their own individual self sustainment.

But I don’t think ever can be in most countries, or even as many as BBall or Baseball due to the sheer cost of fielding a team, much less many teams to develop a league.

For the CTE thing, there may be fewer high school football players, but that hasn’t reduced the number that go on to college and later the pros… just reduces the amount that play for a few years then go become engineers or accountants.

I'm not so sure about your last statement. The high school football program with which I am associated is in a football crazy state. The state that sends the most players to the NFL, per capita and our programs have dropped significantly in the last decade. Like an 80 player varsity squad from 10 years ago is now is the 30s. High schools dropping football is an ongoing national conversation and other sports like lacrosse are beginning to fill the void. I agree that there will likely always be a supply of players, principally from lower socioeconomic communities where families are more okay with the risk/reward ratio but its not just engineers and accountants. https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/texas-high-school-football/ 

Also, if you look at the economics of it, football is clearly the worst career choice. Shortest span, lowest average pay and so on when coupled with the tradition of a faux college education, it's not the best strategy for parents. Baseball is the best, and you can play basketball, soccer and even hockey in professionally in well paying leagues around the world. 

3 hours ago, uncphillyfan said:

If you have not listened to the latest Ringer/Philly Special pod you are missing out. It is on point about what will shake out day one of the draft. 

Yeah, he echoed my thinking about Van Ness, no thank you 

32 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Yes. Sunshine Superman. 

32 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Yes. Sunshine Superman. 

I must say, that’s a billion dollar answer

58 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Anything more than 2 teams is a completely diluted product by your perspective. That doesn’t mean  only having 2 teams is a strong league. The NFL today has 32 teams now and it never has been more popular. It’s not about the # of all pros per team, but the competitiveness between them. If we had 36 teams instead of 32, they’d still be the best football players on earth, albeit bottoms of rosters being diluted by some small %

200+ new players will be  on NFL rosters who shouldn't be there. I'll keep replying as long as you do until you quit. Again, the proof is on my side when looking at the XFL and other leagues because the product sucks. It's the same product on the field in the 4th quarter of preseason games that are horrible to watch. Nasty Nates don't belong in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

World League failed. XFL failed. Arena failed. Every league failed taking the best players not on NFL rosters and trying to put a product together people could watch. Take those people who suck and throw them on NFL rosters and the talent level and product will go down. It's that simple but you won't get it and I'll just keep posting this. 

Sign S Ryan Neal in free agency. It has the same feel to it as last year with us picking up Bradberry from the Giants. A gift out of nowhere. Plus he's 27, played his best ball with Desai and we would be basically set at the position heading into the draft. Should not cost all that much either.

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/.amp/news/philadelphia-eagles-signing-seahawks-cut-ryan-neal-safety-terrell-edmunds-rumor

Nolan Smith

EDGE Georgia
trade icon
Calijah Kancey
DT Pittsburgh
trade icon
Julius Brents
CB Kansas State
trade icon
Joe Tippmann
OC Wisconsin
trade icon
Marvin Mims
WR Oklahoma
trade icon
Sam LaPorta
TE Iowa

Isaiah McGuire
EDGE Missouri
trade icon
Colby Wooden
DT Auburn
trade icon
Ji'Ayir Brown
S Penn State
trade icon
Roschon Johnson
RB Texas
trade icon
Earl Bostick Jr.
OT Kansas
trade icon
Jadon Haselwood
WR Arkansas
trade icon
  • 2024 JAX 2nd
  • 2024 JAX 3rd

5 hours ago, paco said:

Is all this NFL in Europe talk payback for soccer taking root here?

Soccer took root here?

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

World League failed. XFL failed. Arena failed. Every league failed taking the best players not on NFL rosters and trying to put a product together people could watch. Take those people who suck and throw them on NFL rosters and the talent level and product will go down. It's that simple but you won't get it and I'll just keep posting this. 

The players in the new teams would be players on nfl rosters, not castoffs in the XFL. That’s the difference

14 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

The players in the new teams would be players on nfl rosters, not castoffs in the XFL. That’s the difference

No, they are XFL players getting a new job. It's starting soon so you can enjoy it.

11 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

No, they are XFL players getting a new job. It's starting soon so you can enjoy it.

As has it always been. Right now we have many teams full of what would have been "XFL” caliber players in the 1970’s. What we have now is only acceptable as nfl talent to you because you’re used to it being nfl talent, as it will be shortly after 36 teams have been around awhile.

The nfl has expanded dozens of times, and every time it has made the league wildly more popular and made them insane amounts of money due to increased fan interest and approval, while incrementally diluting the product..

Why is 32 teams acceptable but any number higher too many? Why has every expansion previously hit it out of the park but even just 1 more will lead to their downfall? Why is this specific team number the precipice?

3 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Which one Victor Mature or Leezy?

22 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

The key for international taxing is where one is a legal resident. There are strict rules and they vary between countries. The most important criteria is physical presence during a calendar year. Other things like owning property can also play into it.

Yeah.  You get 90 days across a year over here before certain taxes are due.  I can't see a team being based, lock, stock and all here in the UK.  They'd need to invest in private jets, team facilities, etc.  Would cost the Owners an ish ton of money - can't see Jerry Jones having his pocket lighter for it.

9 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Europe can easily support a couple of teams from a fandom perspective.  One in London and the other in Germany.  However, it will be a nightmare from a travel perspective both for any Euro based team and also for the other teams that have to travel to Europe.

My feeling is that it is best left alone.

Same as me.  I just don't see a 4 team expansion into Europe as something viable or needed.  There is the fan base as you say, but something as simple as Super Bowl timings would need to change to help European fans watch it at a reasonable hour on a Sunday night. Talent wise, the NFL would impinge on Rugby in a big way in the UK.

If it was talked about in the morning of 1st April, I'd have thought it was an April Fools Joke and laughed it off.

1 hour ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

#freeshocker 

#freeShocker 

Koy Detmer was the worst qb in Eagles history 

16 minutes ago, NOTW said:

FB_IMG_1680381473354.jpg

Glad Gannon is gone

1 hour ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

#freeshocker 

Two in the pink

One in the stink

Free Shocker

From the EMB clink

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

Which one Victor Mature or Leezy?

Military press with all of 55 pounds!

2 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

As has it always been. Right now we have many teams full of what would have been "XFL” caliber players in the 1970’s. What we have now is only acceptable as nfl talent to you because you’re used to it being nfl talent, as it will be shortly after 36 teams have been around awhile.

The nfl has expanded dozens of times, and every time it has made the league wildly more popular and made them insane amounts of money due to increased fan interest and approval, while incrementally diluting the product..

Why is 32 teams acceptable but any number higher too many? Why has every expansion previously hit it out of the park but even just 1 more will lead to their downfall? Why is this specific team number the precipice?

We get it XFL fanboy. You don't understandand want 200 more Nasty Nates on teams. 

Archived