EMB Blog: 2023 Offseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

8 hours ago, just relax said:

I used to love listening to Kallas and Ashburn on hot summer nights. You could walk through neighborhoods and hear them through open windows. Most of the time the Phils were dreadful but those two were like Bach and Beethoven. I don't know if I was so much a Phillies fan as a fan of Harry and Whitey.

I love the Phillies and i tune in even when they are awful/bad but my childhood they were basically bad besides the 93 team. Was born in 84. They finished above .500 twice in my first 17 years of my life. Heck they made the playoffs once in the first 22 years of my life. The Phillies have had some really nice peaks like late 70s and early 80 that 2007-2011 run. but they’ve had some long stretches of just not making the playoffs and sometimes just awful baseball. Missed the playoffs from 51-75, 84-92. Then 94-2006. Then 2012 to 2021. (Granted the 51-75 drought it was harder to get to the playoffs). Basically 38 years of baseball from 1984-2022 the Phillies managed to miss the playoffs for 9 consecutive seasons, 13 consecutive seasons and 10 consecutive seasons. 

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Next_Up said:

Is responding to one's own posts a kind of message board illeism?

I’ve been reporting my own posts to the mods. 

26 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I love the Phillies and i tune in even when they are awful/bad but my childhood they were basically bad besides the 93 team. Was born in 84. They finished above .500 twice in my first 17 years of my life. Heck they made the playoffs once in the first 22 years of my life. The Phillies have had some really nice peaks like late 70s and early 80 that 2007-2011 run. but they’ve had some long stretches of just not making the playoffs and sometimes just awful baseball. Missed the playoffs from 51-75, 84-92. Then 94-2006. Then 2012 to 2021. (Granted the 51-75 drought it was harder to get to the playoffs). Basically 38 years of baseball from 1984-2022 the Phillies managed to miss the playoffs for 9 consecutive seasons, 13 consecutive seasons and 10 consecutive seasons. 

Crybaby.  If you were half the fan RTK is, you’d have purchased luxury box suites to all four major sports and fly in from AZ for each game.  

9 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I’ve said it before. We don’t really think about the Packers nearly as much as you imagine we do. We’re not even thinking about Rodgers.

I think about 4th and 26 once in a while and Tommy catching a TD at FF and then the clock running out and Chuck come to mind as well. 

14 hours ago, Utebird said:

I think the NFL in Europe is a fools errand

Europe can easily support a couple of teams from a fandom perspective.  One in London and the other in Germany.  However, it will be a nightmare from a travel perspective both for any Euro based team and also for the other teams that have to travel to Europe.

My feeling is that it is best left alone.

Is all this NFL in Europe talk payback for soccer taking root here?

If you have not listened to the latest Ringer/Philly Special pod you are missing out. It is on point about what will shake out day one of the draft. 

If the NFL is so adamant on having teams in Europe, and there are start up leagues in the XFL and USFL, why don't they figure out a way to incorporate all 3.  Create a new spring league taking inspiration from NFL Europe of the 90s/00s when teams allocated players to develop, along with combining the two new leagues in to one. It's a long shot that the XFL or USFL will stick around let alone both of them.  Sure, there are "fans" of the spring league teams but no one is going to be upset if the Philadelphia Stars moved to Europe and became the Frankfurt Galaxy.  However, if there were Eagles players on the Galaxy and spread across the league, that would give us a reason to watch.

The NFL wants football in Europe.  I don't think it makes sense to have an entire division in Europe.  Travel, pay, living situations etc. just all make it a daunting task and I'm not sure it's worth it.  In addition to that, you know the end game for Goodell is to have a Super Bowl played in England.  I can't imagine that would ever go well with American NFL fans. 

Not everything has to be global.  European fans can watch their favorite NFL team on TV just like the rest of us.  If they want to go to a game, they can plan a trip, just like the rest of us.  

10 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Not everything has to be global.  European fans can watch their favorite NFL team on TV just like the rest of us.  If they want to go to a game, they can plan a trip, just like the rest of us.  

Now that they have gambling money, this is the only way to substantially increase TV rights. Every sport tries to appeal to more fans.

Also, 9am games for us (1-3pm for them) are awesome. I love those London games in the am. It helps North American fans too.

10 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

schwing.gif

Did you…just…quote your own pic? You forgot to switch to RandomReglar before posting the gif bro. 

8 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Crybaby.  If you were half the fan RTK is, you’d have purchased luxury box suites to all four major sports and fly in from AZ for each game.  

I don’t know what e-a-g-l-e-s does for a living, but I highly doubt he makes as much as RTK’s fingerpainting business. 

7 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

I think about 4th and 26 once in a while and Tommy catching a TD at FF and then the clock running out and Chuck come to mind as well. 

Or the cheap low shot the took out Randalls knee…

6 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

F'ing Bryce Paup can go straight to hell, do not pass go.

8 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Thanks for reminding me

The NHL is the only major sport that could run globally through North America, Europe, and Russia — and it could be done today, right now — except it’s a 4th rate bush league run by the sketchy Gary Bettman and his corrupt lackeys Daly and Campbell.

NHL players by nationality:

Canada — 432

USA — 278

Sweden — 105

Russia — 59

Finland — 51

Czech Republic — 39

Even assuming a 20-player roster, that’s a global league with 20 Canadian teams, 14 US teams, 5 from Sweden, 3 from Russia, 2 from Finland, 2 from Czech Republic.

Obviously, that’s a total of 46 teams where the current NHL is 32 — so the excess is made up of fringe players, two-way contracts, etc.  But the fact remains, the NHL could easily operate as a global league with 12 US teams, 10 Canadian, 4 from Sweden, 3 from Russia, 2 from Finland, and 1 in the Czech Republic.  Two conferences in North America and one conference on the other side of the pond.

The reasons the NHL doesn’t operate this way (aside from incompetence) would likely be common obstacles for the NFL 

7 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

The NHL is the only major sport that could run globally through North America, Europe, and Russia — and it could be done today, right now — except it’s a 4th rate bush league run by the sketchy Gary Bettman and his corrupt lackeys Daly and Campbell.

NHL players by nationality:

Canada — 432

USA — 278

Sweden — 105

Russia — 59

Finland — 51

Czech Republic — 39

Even assuming a 20-player roster, that’s a global league with 20 Canadian teams, 14 US teams, 5 from Sweden, 3 from Russia, 2 from Finland, 2 from Czech Republic.

Obviously, that’s a total of 46 teams where the current NHL is 32 — so the excess is made up of fringe players, two-way contracts, etc.  But the fact remains, the NHL could easily operate as a global league with 12 US teams, 10 Canadian, 4 from Sweden, 3 from Russia, 2 from Finland, and 1 in the Czech Republic.  Two conferences in North America and one conference on the other side of the pond.

The reasons the NHL doesn’t operate this way (aside from incompetence) would likely be common obstacles for the NFL 

Forgetting all the rest of this post.. how would 3 conferences work?  

15 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Again, that’s only based on the myopic perception of what defines an nfl player today. In 1994 there were only 28 teams of nfl players, by 2002 they added 4 more teams. Same scenario, people back then said there isn’t 200 more players sitting on the couch, and now people today recognize those 200 players as nfl-level talent. That’s called relativity, no crap necessary.

You can keep quoting the past and keep being wrong. We are in a different place and there aren't 200+ NFL level starters that get cut in the preseason. If there was the XFL and others would have a better product to watch. They suck for a reason and it is the play on the field so keep trying. 

46 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

You can keep quoting the past and keep being wrong. We are in a different place and there aren't 200+ NFL level starters that get cut in the preseason. If there was the XFL and others would have a better product to watch. They suck for a reason and it is the play on the field so keep trying. 

If you compare the Pro Day and/or Combine results of those cut players to the Pro Day and/or Combine results of the roster players of prior eras you may be surprised.  I suspect today’s cuts have better scores.

57 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Forgetting all the rest of this post.. how would 3 conferences work?  

If you limited inter conference play, they would work the same as MLB used to work, with inter conference games happening in the Playoffs 

5 minutes ago, mattwill said:

If you compare the Pro Day and/or Combine results of those cut players to the Pro Day and/or Combine results of the roster players of prior eras you may be surprised.  I suspect today’s cuts have better scores.

Probably, but they prep a lot more for them like Mikey Flasher in the 90s. It also doesn't always transfer to the field as we saw with him.

April 1st is a hard day to judge, because everyone still works and needs to put out authentic content in between the pranks

Adam Rank though… a guy just iffy enough to be believable

13 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

354d5fab-1.gif

Do you even know who the picture is?

13 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

There's always uncertainty and a best case scenario but I think most neutral observers would call it a weakness

There is so much uncertainty that we actually don’t know enough to make an informed assessment.  We are guessing at best.

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

It would be nothing like the XFL. Talent would spread across the new teams. They don’t prevent NFL caliber players from signing with Jacksonville or Carolina just because they’re expansion teams.

Archived