EMB Blog: 2023 Offseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

7 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Does someone actually believe that Chad Lewis was as good as Dallas Goedert? Or was that supposed to be an April Fools joke? I hope so, anyway.

What do you mean? Look at this incredible three-year run by Lewis. He averaged 410 yards in two of those pro bowl seasons, all while not being a good blocker.

52A2580D-65D7-44A7-B322-930151F52ABB.jpeg

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Fresh Jalen Carter highlights just released.

Tommy Lawlor posted these yesterday and even after watching these 3 short videos, I'm less than impressed.

-We've all seen the 1 arm QB lift.  It's a great swim move but this play we are supposed to be reacting to the end of it.  

-The tape against TCU, all I see is a player who has bad form.  Bad form comes from laziness.  

-3rd, against Dawan Jones, the entire UGA defense is late to the line so he's already taken 3 whole steps before Jones is out of his stance.  While the strength is impressive, I don't see him doing that out of a 3 point stance against Jones.  Once he eliminates Jones, he then casually jogs in pursuit.

He's 100% physically gifted.  I'm not betting on him as a guy who wants to get better though.  

9 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

Kempski said the sense he got from being at the owners meetings is the Eagles are going to go OL with their first pick.

I'd be happy with Jones and "ok" with Pete only because he doesn't project great at OT and I don't see him as a Quenton Nelson type talent that you have to have him at 10. But his intelligence and technical skills are very intriguing to have in-between Lane & Kelce. I'm out on the Ohio State guys that early too. The sleeper o-lineman to me is Darnell Wright. Has a little Brandon Brooks to him. I like his fit at RG best but again 10 is early. 

9 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

I've been saying this for multiple replies since you don't get logic. So from now on Nasty Nate fan will be in every post.

Your personal preference being used to dispute facts is not what logic means 

14 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Tommy Lawlor posted these yesterday and even after watching these 3 short videos, I'm less than impressed.

-We've all seen the 1 arm QB lift.  It's a great swim move but this play we are supposed to be reacting to the end of it.  

-The tape against TCU, all I see is a player who has bad form.  Bad form comes from laziness.  

-3rd, against Dawan Jones, the entire UGA defense is late to the line so he's already taken 3 whole steps before Jones is out of his stance.  While the strength is impressive, I don't see him doing that out of a 3 point stance against Jones.  Once he eliminates Jones, he then casually jogs in pursuit.

He's 100% physically gifted.  I'm not betting on him as a guy who wants to get better though.  

The only time I watched him play was against Oregon, and he did virtually nothing all game. I understand you can’t be making highlight plays every snap, but he has huge stretches of doing nothing in games. I feel he gets away with his size and strength in college and he doesn’t have good technique. That won’t fly in the NFL. 

If he’s still there at 10 and the Eagles pass on him, you know Davis and Dean didn’t give great intel on Carters character. I want nothing to do with him, and just don’t see this "franchise” changing talent other see in him.

I do think one of the top priorities for this team needs to be securing the future of the OL and not having our entire offense crash and burn every time injury prone Lane gets hurt...but I just don't like the first round OL in this draft.  

I'd hate the Skoronski pick.  He's going to be a starter in the NFL.  But he's not going to be a plus guy who makes a difference...and our entire offense is built to rely on that from our OL.  

Torrence could bust, but he's got the most potential to fit into what our OL does.  Even him, I question the value given the uncertainty and the delayed gratification and trajectory he'd be on (redshirt -> OG -> maybe RT).  He probably won't be there at 30 and I'm not sure I'd love the value even if he was.

Johnson and Jones...meh.  

Listened to the new Bucky Brooks with DJ mock draft on the, move the sticks, podcast. They talked to various NFL coaches and executives, they both feel that Van Ness goes top 9 now. I don't get as to why but that's interesting. If we take him at 10 I will get physically ill. 

If you pick Skoronski and he plays RG better than Seumalo last year then you've upgraded your team which quite frankly a lot of these picks won't do all that much.  That said I don't see him as the future RT and wouldn't love picking a RG at 10

2 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Listened to the new Bucky Brooks with DJ mock draft on the, move the sticks, podcast. After they talked to various NFL coaches and executives, they both feel that Van Ness goes top 9 now. I don't get as to why but that's interesting. If we take him at 10 I will get physically ill. 

I didn't like Barnett the year we took him and I like Van Ness a lot less

5 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

If you pick Skoronski and he plays RG better than Seumalo last year then you've upgraded your team which quite frankly a lot of these picks won't do all that much.  That said I don't see him as the future RT and wouldn't love picking a RG at 10

I thought Seumalo was very good last year at RG and can’t imagine there’s a rookie who’s going to come in and be better than him. 

If we go OT round 1 I hope it’s the future LT because I think Mailata is best suited on the right side. Lane really should be a LT but you can thank Howie for not cutting ties with Peters soon enough. 

Anyway… like E45 said there needs to be a tackle taken somewhat early out of necessity. From what I’ve read, Jones from Georgia seems like he has a great deal of upside and may slip to 30. 

6 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Listened to the new Bucky Brooks with DJ mock draft on the, move the sticks, podcast. After they talked to various NFL coaches and executives, they both feel that Van Ness goes top 9 now. I don't get as to why but that's interesting. If we take him at 10 I will get physically ill. 

Because NFL network is a business. They have to come up with different stories and get people to watch. Stir the pot. Why do you think they have 10 different mock drafts until the final mock the day before the draft? 

You always stick with your rankings before any combines, work outs etc. Esp for the first 2 rounds. DeSean Jackson was a perfect example. The year he came out he was considered the best WR in the draft class. Well like always the process happens and 2-3 WRs somehow jump up the list ahead of him. Jackson is too small. Draft day comes and I think it was 6 WRs drafted before him and we grab him in the 2nd round. He clearly was the best WR in that class as it was indicated before the so called experts started talking. 

3 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

The only time I watched him play was against Oregon, and he did virtually nothing all game. I understand you can’t be making highlight plays every snap, but he has huge stretches of doing nothing in games. I feel he gets away with his size and strength in college and he doesn’t have good technique. That won’t fly in the NFL. 

If he’s still there at 10 and the Eagles pass on him, you know Davis and Dean didn’t give great intel on Carters character. I want nothing to do with him, and just don’t see this "franchise” changing talent other see in him.

This is Carter in a nutshell.  It's just my opinion but his lack of technique is because he's lazy.  That's all he's shown in the pre-draft period.  All this guy has to do is bust his butt to prepare for the NFL and he couldn't even make it through his pro day.  Has that ever happened?  

Watch that film of Carter and then watch Kancey.  I know Kancey isn't everyone's cup of tea but the dude is relentless.  Relentless vs. lazy.  Everyone talks about the level of competition Kancey played against and I don't buy that for one minute.  

31 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Do you need to take a guard that high with Stout? If they are going to draft a OL high, they need to also project to be able to play RT. But then you run into the issue of Jurgens riding the bench again. 

It’s a good problem to have. Jurgens looked pretty good in his very limited action. Wonder if they give him first crack at RG and look into drafting OL high next year.

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Your personal preference being used to dispute facts is not what logic means 

Nasty Nates don't accept things

34 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

This is Carter in a nutshell.  It's just my opinion but his lack of technique is because he's lazy.  That's all he's shown in the pre-draft period.  All this guy has to do is bust his butt to prepare for the NFL and he couldn't even make it through his pro day.  Has that ever happened?  

Watch that film of Carter and then watch Kancey.  I know Kancey isn't everyone's cup of tea but the dude is relentless.  Relentless vs. lazy.  Everyone talks about the level of competition Kancey played against and I don't buy that for one minute.  

I like Kancey more. Carter just looks like he has a slow/labored get off comparatively. Carter is very strong but that will matter less in the NFL when he can't really bully the OL and they'll get on him quicker.

25 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Do you need to take a guard that high with Stout? If they are going to draft a OL high, they need to also project to be able to play RT. But then you run into the issue of Jurgens riding the bench again. 

It’s a good problem to have. Jurgens looked pretty good in his very limited action. Wonder if they give him first crack at RG and look into drafting OL high next year.

No I'm not advocating for it. Obviously if you think you can draft an All Pro OL then you do it if you feel more confident in that than any of the DL being at that level.  That's not how I see these players but I'm not Stout.  If Stout came out after the draft and said X was great then we'd all just nod our heads

i'd be fine if the Eagles wound up with Kancey with their second 1st. I think he has high potential. One concern with him is he looks like he's built like Josh Sweat. As a DT in the NFL, could be an issue.

One aspect of this draft that leaves me cautiously optimistic we'll get good players:

1. The FO/Lowie knows what they want in terms of scheme and personnel.

2. What they want seems to work.

Even after the SB, they had to tinker and dove headfirst into that 12 personnel disaster.  Their offensive model is well-defined and mostly complete.  Their biggest offensive need is OL, which they draft well and coach up well.

On defense, they seem to have figured out a formula for finding good edge rushers.

So, for once, I think they have a pretty good chance of finding good productive talent in the draft without venturing too far off the reservation.

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

Because NFL network is a business. They have to come up with different stories and get people to watch. Stir the pot. Why do you think they have 10 different mock drafts until the final mock the day before the draft? 

You always stick with your rankings before any combines, work outs etc. Esp for the first 2 rounds. DeSean Jackson was a perfect example. The year he came out he was considered the best WR in the draft class. Well like always the process happens and 2-3 WRs somehow jump up the list ahead of him. Jackson is too small. Draft day comes and I think it was 6 WRs drafted before him and we grab him in the 2nd round. He clearly was the best WR in that class as it was indicated before the so called experts started talking. 

I really don't think they were making things up to get ratings. Just seemed simply like they are reporting the vibe they are getting from around the league on players. 

Im taking a new found interest in sports cards.

I plan to open packs mostly, but in the beginning I am focused on collecting some individual players that I like, to begin my collection.

I have my eye on some Hurts memorabelia cards, and maxey autographed cards.

Right now, I just ordered a nick foles jersey patch

Picture 1 of 2

14 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Im taking a new found interest in sports cards.

I plan to open packs mostly, but in the beginning I am focused on collecting some individual players that I like, to begin my collection.

I have my eye on some Hurts memorabelia cards, and maxey autographed cards.

Right now, I just ordered a nick foles jersey patch

Picture 1 of 2

Where are you getting them?  I saw some internet trend where card collectors are going to The Dollar Store or Dollar General I believe and buying these mystery boxes that actually have some hidden gems in them.  I used to love card collecting.  It's how I began my uniform/equipment obsession.  I remember the card cases at the front of the grocery stores and getting 2-3 packs and how exciting that was.

2 hours ago, greendestiny27 said:

Listened to the new Bucky Brooks with DJ mock draft on the, move the sticks, podcast. They talked to various NFL coaches and executives, they both feel that Van Ness goes top 9 now. I don't get as to why but that's interesting. If we take him at 10 I will get physically ill. 

That's a bit silly to me. I'm good with Van Ness if they traded down a few spots. At 10 I'm not crazy about it. I'd be surprised if he went before our pick but those guys would know more than me obviously. His upside is legit but I would personally want a guy with a way higher floor as well in the top 10.

23 hours ago, greendestiny27 said:

Sign S Ryan Neal in free agency. It has the same feel to it as last year with us picking up Bradberry from the Giants. A gift out of nowhere. Plus he's 27, played his best ball with Desai and we would be basically set at the position heading into the draft. Should not cost all that much either.

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/.amp/news/philadelphia-eagles-signing-seahawks-cut-ryan-neal-safety-terrell-edmunds-rumor

Nolan Smith

EDGE Georgia
trade icon
Calijah Kancey
DT Pittsburgh
trade icon
Julius Brents
CB Kansas State
trade icon
Joe Tippmann
OC Wisconsin
trade icon
Marvin Mims
WR Oklahoma
trade icon
Sam LaPorta
TE Iowa

Isaiah McGuire
EDGE Missouri
trade icon
Colby Wooden
DT Auburn
trade icon
Ji'Ayir Brown
S Penn State
trade icon
Roschon Johnson
RB Texas
trade icon
Earl Bostick Jr.
OT Kansas
trade icon
Jadon Haselwood
WR Arkansas
trade icon
  • 2024 JAX 2nd
  • 2024 JAX 3rd

Ryan Neal is ok. Bradberry is a pro-bowler. Not sure I see the connection there.

Archived