EMB Blog: 2023 Offseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

Who declines visits for anyone not in the top 10? What a terrible approach. Another red flag. 

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

It's a horrible comparison.  Barnett was highly productive in college but not a good athlete but good bend.  Van Ness tests out as a very good athlete but not great bend and simply decent college production.

Barnett 4.88 40, 1.7 splits, 31 vert, 9 foot 9 broad, 6.96 3 cone, and 4.4 shuttle

Van Ness 4.58 40, 1.64 split, 31 vert, 9 foot 10 broad, 7.02 cone, 4.32 shuttle

Van Ness also 2 inches taller and 13 pounds heavier

I wonder if they look at VanNess as a potential good fit for a more traditional DE in a 3-4 front.  He reminds me of Michael Bennett in terms of size and playing style.  

7 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

looks like his first visit was with the Eagles.

Me thinking the Bears go with Paris Johnson Jr....

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Who declines visits for anyone not in the top 10? What a terrible approach. Another red flag. 

How far he falls will be one of the more interesting things to watch on draft night.  If he falls past the top 10 he could be in for a wild ride.  

Just now, garingovt2000 said:

Yeah, get some help for FIelds.  Makes more sense than Carter.

48 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

image.png.7926838f0984c49a4c127ad3fe2a3bd0.png

6.7 out of 10 Howies.  It's Monday and I am tired already.  C- is the grade.  I have concerns about Wilson's foot injury and that it still has him not participating in workouts.  Duncan is a good pick.  

I think Mcguier  is underrated , he is relentless, strong , athletic , plays the run and the pass 

14 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Definitely an o-lineman 

25 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

looks like his first visit was with the Eagles.

Interesting strategy Drew.  Shuns a ta outside the top 10 that might have otherwise been interested in trading up into the top 10 for him.  Also if he does drop out of the top 10 then this creates a scenario where me might freefall due to teams being unable to conduct visits with him.

25 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

One thing that’s not as well documented is we weren’t the only team to take a star LB and a star DT from Georgia last year. GB ended up with 1st rounders Devonte Wyatt and Quay Walker. 

So if Devonte and Quay go into Gutekunst’s office and inform him all this character stuff about Jalen Carter is way off base, that he’s the best player on that defense, is a great guy but just really young, all the cliché redeeming conversations, and GB wants to talk to Jalen before they trade up to get him….

Rosenhaus will inform the Packers that only after the draft day trade will Jalen Carter consider taking their call?

2 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Definitely an o-lineman 

If they were smart. Are they smart?

1 minute ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

One thing that’s not as well documented is we weren’t the only team to take a star LB and a star DT from Georgia last year. GB ended up with 1st rounders Devonte Wyatt and Quay Walker. 

So if Devonte and Quay go into Gutekunst’s office and inform him all this character stuff about Jalen Carter is way off base, that he’s the best player on that defense, is a great guy but just really young, all the redeeming conversation, and GB wants to talk to Jalen before they trade up to get him….

Rosenhaus will inform the Packers that only after the draft day trade will Jalen Carter consider taking their call?

I have my doubts Howie or Nick would even ask Dean and Davis about Jalen Carter.  The Eagles investigators will provide Howie and Lurie their findings, and that will drive any decision on whether or not to have Carter on their draft board.

It's nice that Dean and Davis were teammates, but I wouldn't expect a couple of rookies to have any input on someone who may or may not be their buddy -- and it puts them in an awkward position to even ask.

4 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Definitely an o-lineman 

Saying Paris Johnson Jr. because he also went to OSU like Fields and I think I read somewhere they're very good friends and talk to each other all the time.  Good to have someone like that protecting your blind side

7 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Trading up for Richardson or Levis… oof.

My guess is it's RIchardson.  There is gonna be a run on QBs early in this draft and this is a very good thing for us.

14 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I have my doubts Howie or Nick would even ask Dean and Davis about Jalen Carter.  The Eagles investigators will provide Howie and Lurie their findings, and that will drive any decision on whether or not to have Carter on their draft board.

It's nice that Dean and Davis were teammates, but I wouldn't expect a couple of rookies to have any input on someone who may or may not be their buddy -- and it puts them in an awkward position to even ask.

Hmm; I think I would have agreed a year ago. But there’s a YouTube video where Jordan talks about JC being his little brother when asked about the relationship they had in Athens. And then we heard this offseason how Howie had Jason scout his preferred centers from the draft, how Hurts had a major influence on Howie’s pursuit and ultimately negotiations with AJ (AJ said he was literally texting contract numbers to Hurts to send to Howie). Keep in mind that at that time Jalen was a 22-23 year old 1.25yr starter who almost everyone expected Howie to replace in this draft….

So Now I believe Howie will take advantage of the resources he has to make the best decision possible. Doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll do whatever JD tells him to, but it means at the very least sitting down with a face to face with former teammates when a prospect with this much value has this many weird asterisks on his evaluation.

10 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Saying Paris Johnson Jr. because he also went to OSU like Fields and I think I read somewhere they're very good friends and talk to each other all the time.  Good to have someone like that protecting your blind side

Good, I don't want Paris. 

If Carter falls into our laps at 10, it's not even a no-brainer that Howie trips over himself getting the card in. 

Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean are here.  They know more about him than anyone else.  They can help keep him in check better than anyone else.
Howie builds in the trenches.
We kinda sorta need another DT for the long term.

I really want a CB at 10 but Carter is the target.

If the Eagles view Carter as an elite top 2 talent and he's there at 10, they have to take him unless the character concerns are that significant.

1 minute ago, hukdonfoniks said:

If Carter falls into our laps at 10, it's not even a no-brainer that Howie trips over himself getting the card in. 

Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean are here.  They know more about him than anyone else.  They can help keep him in check better than anyone else.
Howie builds in the trenches.
We kinda sorta need another DT for the long term.

I really want a CB at 10 but Carter is the target.

Huh?  They're only a few months older than him.  You're not talking about Brandon Graham and Fletcher Cox.

Carter is just as likely to be a bad influence on the other two as anything else.  

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

If the Eagles view Carter as an elite top 2 talent and he's there at 10, they have to take him unless the character concerns are that significant.

Did you miss the whole car accident?

Just now, Mike030270 said:

Did you miss the whole car accident?

Pretty sure Fletcher Cox did the street racing thing at one point but no accident.  That was extremely tragic but from a football standpoint I think the red flags would be related to other things like desire and ethic.

Archived