**Official 76ers 2023-2024 Season Thread**

mr_hunt

By the way, I believe we do own our own 1st round pick next year. So a tank year would be pretty exciting based on that alone.

Then, if you got to watch Maxey show what his potential is as a top 1 or 2 player on the team, that would answer a lot of questions on his future here.

And, if you get to watch McClung put on a show, maybe see Springer's development...

Could be a fun year if they tank. 

Then, you know youre getting a top draft pick, and tons of free agent money for the summer. PLUS whatever picks you can get in Harris and Embiid deals. 

I wonder if the team sees this opportunity in front of them, or even cares. 

7 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

By the way, I believe we do own our own 1st round pick next year. So a tank year would be pretty exciting based on that alone.

Then, if you got to watch Maxey show what his potential is as a top 1 or 2 player on the team, that would answer a lot of questions on his future here.

And, if you get to watch McClung put on a show, maybe see Springer's development...

Then, you know youre getting a top draft pick, and tons of free agent money for the summer. PLUS whatever picks you can get in Harris and Embiid deals. 

Tbh if you are bad like really bad you could keep your 2025(2026 or 2027) pick that OKC has. It’s top 6 protected in 2025. It’s top 4 in 2026 and 2027. If doesn’t convey by 2027 then it becomes a 2nd. The pick the nets own in 2027 is top 8 protected and if not conveyed top 8 protected in 2028. Then conveys to a second if the first hasn’t conveyed by 2028. 

It’s why the Knicks have a lot of firsts from other teams but they have a ton of protections which there’s a good chance ones like the wizards and bucks don’t convey. possibly pistons as well.  

7 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I wonder if the team sees this opportunity in front of them, or even cares. 

With Harris and Morey? Absolutely not. I’d shave my head if they trade Embiid this offseason.

• Like 1

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Tbh if you are bad like really bad you could keep your 2025(2026 or 2027) pick that OKC has. It’s top 6 protected in 2025. It’s top 4 in 2026 and 2027. If doesn’t convey by 2027 then it becomes a 2nd. The pick the nets own in 2027 is top 8 protected and if not conveyed top 8 protected in 2028. Then conveys to a second if the first hasn’t conveyed by 2028. 

yeah. I dont think we would be bad enough to keep that top 6 protected pick in 2025. But we do have our pick next year with no conditions on it. Its ours. 

After that summer, we should be better than a top 6 draft team. But you can still have picks from an Embiid and Harris trade.

Harris should not bring back salary with him. He should go to a team who is under the cap and wants him as a vet on their team. Or to a team who wants to get under that apron for the next CBA. He would be an asset to them, which means they should send picks our way.

And Embiid would obviously bring us a boatload of picks as well.

1 minute ago, iladelphxx said:

As @DaEagles4Life said, Send Embiid for pick 3 +. 

I think theyd like to pair Lillard and Embiid.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

yeah. I dont think we would be bad enough to keep that top 6 protected pick in 2025. But we do have our pick next year with no conditions on it. Its ours. 

After that summer, we should be better than a top 6 draft team. But you can still have picks from an Embiid and Harris trade.

Harris should not bring back salary with him. He should go to a team who is under the cap and wants him as a vet on their team. Or to a team who wants to get under that apron for the next CBA. He would be an asset to them, which means they should send picks our way.

And Embiid would obviously bring us a boatload of picks as well.

Yeah i don’t think so either. Frankly maxey is good enough to keep you in the 8-16 range. I just think you are likely getting stuck in a purgatory like the iggy and holiday sixers. Attracting a star to Philly is tough via free agency and i think via trade it’s still going to be tough. The best way is likely being awful and drafting to hit on one. Might be better off just completely knocking it all down.

also if you hypothetically do a deal with the Knicks you’d need their 2026-2030 picks as unprotected. Cause the picks they have from other teams all have protections and may never convey as well as they are likely not great firsts if they do due to the protections. and the sixers haven’t exactly proven besides maxey to draft well with picks in the 8-30 range 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yeah i don’t think so either. Frankly maxey is good enough to keep you in the 8-16 range. I just think you are likely getting stuck in a purgatory like the iggy and holiday sixers. Attracting a star to Philly is tough via free agency and i think via trade it’s still going to be tough. The best way is likely being awful and drafting to hit on one. Might be better off just completely knocking it all down.

also if you hypothetically do a deal with the Knicks you’d need their 2026-2030 picks as unprotected. Cause the picks they have from other teams all have protections and may never convey as well as they are likely not great firsts and the sixers haven’t exactly proven besides maxey to draft well with picks in the 8-30 range 

Yeah knock it all down is what Im saying to do. Trade Harris and Embiid for picks. Let Harden walk. Tank this year to get a high pick next year, and all that cap space in the summer to rebuild. As well as the future picks from the Embiid and Harris trades.

i don't think they'd sniff the playoffs with maxey their #1 guy. he'd score a lot but the team would be turrible. 

• Like 2

Im wondering if we couldnt buy a 2nd round pick to take a flier on someone like Emoni Bates. He was a big time name in high school that tanked his draft stock somehow. But is having a bit of a resurgence.

I guess he looked pretty good playing  at the combine, but did not have a good workout. I love these guys who can score but get doubted based on workouts. Luka Donic, Kevin Durant... Just get be ballers. Dont care about any of the other stuff. Get the guys who can hoop and youll be alright. 

Bates is a low cost, low risk lottery ticket with high upside.

Just now, mr_hunt said:

i don't think they'd sniff the playoffs with maxey their #1 guy. he'd score a lot but the team would be turrible. 

yep. Thats what I think, and why I love it.

Would be really fun watching Maxey, McClung, and Springer all do their thing.

But the team would be horrible.

Id also try to keep Shake on a 1 year, and tell him its not the long term deal he will want, but its a chance to be a top dog on a bad team and really set yourself up for next summer. 

9 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Yeah knock it all down is what Im saying to do. Trade Harris and Embiid for picks. Let Harden walk. Tank this year to get a high pick next year, and all that cap space in the summer to rebuild. As well as the future picks from the Embiid and Harris trades.

I’m adding to that I’d consider trade maxey depending on what i get. I don’t think maxey is good enough to be your top player on a championship team. I am not sure he can be the no. 2 either. If you are already knocking it down then do you want maxey being just good enough to keep you at arms length from top 5 picks consistently to get that top star but just good enough to be where the iggy and holiday sixers were in purgatory. You are gonna sign some guys and get guys around him where you likely are somewhere from 8-13 range. Those 1st round picks we get from Harris are likely not going to be very good firsts. With embiid if hypothetically goes to Knicks. The Knicks have a ton of firsts from other teams like pistons, wizards and bucks. However bucks and wizards likelt never convey and become 2nd rounders. A chance the pistons eventually does but by then is mid teens or early 20s. You’d need unprotected picks from 2026-30 those are the most valuable to either select a guy or use them as trade bait for another star. 

My point in this you might be better off going the complete nuclear option depending on what teams are willing to give you for maxey.  

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m adding to that I’d consider trade maxey depending on what i get. I don’t think maxey is good enough to be your top player on a championship team. I am not sure he can be the no. 2 either. If you are already knocking it down then do you want maxey being just good enough to keep you at arms length from top 5 picks consistently to get that top star but just good enough to be where the iggy and holiday sixers were in purgatory. You are gonna sign some guys and get guys around him where you likely are somewhere from 8-13 range. Those 1st round picks we get from Harris are likely not going to be very good firsts. With embiid if hypothetically goes to Knicks. The Knicks have a ton of firsts from other teams like pistons, wizards and bucks. However bucks and wizards likelt never convey and become 2nd rounders. A chance the pistons eventually does but by then is mid teens or early 20s. You’d need unprotected picks from 2026-30 those are the most valuable to either select a guy or use them as trade bait for another star. 

Ive said, if you can get up to the top 7 in this drat, id consider it.

One of the Thompson brothers, the athlete Whitmore from Villanova will be available there.

Trade Embiid for #3 and draft Scoot Henderson, Maxey to Indiana for #7 and draft Whitmore. The youth movement is on!

I dont deal Embiid to the Knicks. Hes a whiner who has won this franchise nothing. He doesnt deserve to call his shots. He can have a trade if he wants out, but he goes for the best package of picks. 

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

Ive said, if you can get up to the top 7 in this drat, id consider it.

One of the Thompson brothers, the athlete Whitmore from Villanova will be available there.

Trade Embiid for #3 and draft Scoot Henderson, Maxey to Indiana for #7 and draft Whitmore. The youth movement is on!

I dont deal Embiid to the Knicks. Hes a whiner who has won this franchise nothing. He doesnt deserve to call his shots. He can have a trade if he wants out, but he goes for the best package of picks. 

I don’t disagree. I don’t deal him to the Knicks simply cause it’s in the division. But they have a ton of firsts to offer. However i was pointing out people don’t realize a lot of those firsts are fluff do to all the protections. 

Like daeagles4life said the best option would be portland. Lillard is there so he’d want to play with him. You’d get the no. 3 pick, ask for unprotected picks and swaps from 2026-2030 and ask for sharpe and Simons (if you don’t to keep him then can deal him for more picks as well. I actually love simons). 

my concern is will embiid not want to go to portland due to his kid and wife being here in Philly. Shouldn’t matter as he doesn’t have a no trade clause but i tend to think nba stars tend to get more than what they really deserve when they get traded somewhere. 

Just now, mr_hunt said:

Thats interesting. Theyve had plans for this long to get him back.

I wonder if we could recoup some of these draft picks we lost for tampering.

Something tells me the NBA could turn up something in an investigation in to Houston now.

Of course, the NBA would never be interested in helping us.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

Harden going back to Houston is probably a blessing in disguise. Would rather not give him a 4 year deal to stay.

Whether or not to trade Joel Embiid is a much tougher question. The free agency class this year isn't particularly strong. I'm leaning towards keeping him and hoping a different supporting cast (hopefully better leadership) makes a difference. 

I know Kyrie Irving comes with his off the court baggage, but at least from a talent standpoint and previous history of delivering in the playoffs (you could make a legitimate case for Irving being the true Finals MVP in 2016 over LeBron) he might be worth the gamble. He would be a legitimate star player that you could pair with Embiid and probably the closest thing to an "alpha" player we can realistically acquire since losing Jimmy Butler.

I'm glad the team is bringing in Nick Nurse first for the coaching vacancy. He's probably the best option out there of the names mentioned so far. If he's brought in, I wonder if the team goes after Fred VanVleet in free agency given the player-coach familiarity? He's probably the best option from that next tier of free agents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Harden going back to Houston is probably a blessing in disguise. Would rather not give him a 4 year deal to stay.

Whether or not to trade Joel Embiid is a much tougher question. The free agency class this year isn't particularly strong. I'm leaning towards keeping him and hoping a different supporting cast (hopefully better leadership) makes a difference. 

I know Kyrie Irving comes with his off the court baggage, but at least from a talent standpoint and previous history of delivering in the playoffs (you could make a legitimate case for Irving being the true Finals MVP in 2016 over LeBron) he might be worth the gamble. He would be a legitimate star player that you could pair with Embiid and probably the closest thing to an "alpha" player we can realistically acquire since losing Jimmy Butler.

I'm glad the team is bringing in Nick Nurse first for the coaching vacancy. He's probably the best option out there of the names mentioned so far. If he's brought in, I wonder if the team goes after Fred VanVleet in free agency given the player-coach familiarity? He's probably the best option from that next tier of free agents.

Losing Harden for nothing isn't good business and that could happen if he signs with the Rockets. You need a sign and trade to happen for the Sixers to get assets back. 

Irving is Fing crazy, legit crazy and he takes zero accountability for himself. He should be a hard no

Problem with small guards is they don't age well at all in a league that is getting bigger and longer. VanVleet will be 30 in Feb and I would be nervous giving him anything long term. Looks like Suns are the betting favorites for him right. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Kawhi or PG? 

100 percent ESP reads the boards 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

Seems like the Tre young caliber trade option from a few years back. Harris + something maybe

27 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

100 percent ESP reads the boards 

No other way, I was bringing this up before the draft order existed. 

25 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

Kawhi or PG? 

It's Siakam or OG if had to bet money