EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, Westbrook#36 said:

Anyone else have his feeling of impending doom? Like, last season was [almost] too good to be true and the difficulty level can only go up? Super Bowl loser curse?

I think if you look outside of the team and at the NFC as a whole, it's easier to remain optimistic. The Eagles are still the class of the conference and then you have teams like SF, DAL, DET, and a few others who can contend. It would feel more dire if they had to go through the AFC against teams like KC, BUF, CIN, JAX, LAC, etc.

My main concern going into next season will be injuries. The reason why losing to KC in the Super Bowl hurt as much as it did is because it felt like everything lined up right having all 22 starters in that game. They were extremely lucky with no long-term, significant injuries last season. I doubt that's the case this year just with the nature of the game.  

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I don't think so; not at the current rate of second contracts for edge rushers.  There is a significant supply of edge rushing talent in most drafts.  If Smith were 15+ sacks per season like Nick Bosa or TJ Watt, etc. that might be a different discussion.

I feel exactly the same. This is why I still can’t believe the #1 story coming out of the draft wasn’t what Houston gave up for Will Anderson… which was precisely the price I was listing for Nolan Smith. Perennial Pro Bowler? Not close to good enough.
He has to become Nick Bosa or it was a big mistake. 

That price can get you nearly any defensive player in the league. 1 of 11 defensive starters isn’t worth that insane price unless he’s immediately a perennial DMVP candidate. 2 firsts for anything less is just nuts. ESPECIALLY for a team with as many holes as HOU

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Alternate Question:

Let’s say you know with a crystal ball that Nolan Smith will have 50 sacks by the end of his rookie 5 year contract. He may start slow the first 1-2 years but he’ll pick it up, you know for a fact he’ll become a perennial-pro-bowl-but-not-quite-all-pro player. However, after year three you’re offered that same deal:

2 1sts, one is definitely top 10 and possibly top 5, the other is near top 10. Let’s say… 12th. Plus a second rounder, top 5 of that round, and a third rounder, top 10 of that round.

Do you make that trade for a young, pro bowl DE on a Rookie deal vs insane draft assets?

Again, yes. 

Anyone else have his feeling of impending doom? Like, last season was [almost] too good to be true and the difficulty level can only go up? Super Bowl loser curse?

I'm not worried about the Eagles in any way shape or form to be honest.  I feel impending doom with the Sixers.  Nothing towards the Flyers and a OK guys let's get it together with the Phillies. 

Nah.  Defense was overrated, offense carried the day.  It's an offensive driven league and the running game was the bread and butter.  They should have just as good a running game this year.  

New DC might offer a better use of the talent available than the previous one.   

I see 10 wins minimum, 13 at the top.  Both likely makes the playoffs, and from there, you just have to be the best team on the field that particular day.

Stone Cold Mortal lock we smash the 49ers

dont doubt me

10 win minimum 

Jimmy Kempski has a nice paradigm about when to play good and bad teams.  You want expected bad teams early, because they are likely to be as bad as expected and there only a few exceptions where an expected bad team gets better as the season goes along (e.g. 2022 Lions).  Further, you want good teams later, giving them the opportunity to be impacted by injuries and become less imposing than they were earlier in the season.  Of course, your team needs to avoid those same injuries.

Given this, I like the way the schedule shakes out.  Five very winnable games in the beginning as the coordinators get their feet wet.  Then four challenging games that provide a better measure of the team.  You have the bye right in the middle of the season, followed by a true, five-game test.  This serves as a useful dry-run for the playoff gauntlet.  Then three winnable games with minimal travel and unknown import.

13 wins if there are nominal injuries.

5 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I feel great about the upcoming season

Yeah, same.  If you feel a sense of doom you probably need a nap. 

Here's a hot take: I think the offense might actually even be better this year.  Why?  Jalen and AJ now have a full year playing together using the same system.  Also, Devonte Smith is now in his 3rd season and he should make another leap forward in his 3rd year.   I also love Penny, he could have a huge season if he stays healthy.

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Nah.  Defense was overrated, offense carried the day.  It's an offensive driven league and the running game was the bread and butter.  They should have just as good a running game this year.  

New DC might offer a better use of the talent available than the previous one.   

I see 10 wins minimum, 13 at the top.  Both likely makes the playoffs, and from there, you just have to be the best team on the field that particular day.

Yep, defense was shredded by every competent QB.  There may be growing pains with some of the young guys, but I think we can still field a good defense.  Maybe not top-5, but good.

I have us at 11-6.   Should be good for possibly taking the NFC East and absolutely will be a wildcard berth.

4 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

Just saw the 9ers schedule and dang they have a cake walk IMO.

I’d rather have a QB than a cakewalk 

11 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

How about that Joe Biden guy?!

How about that CVON?!

4 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Is Doc Rivers fired yet?

I am not 100% sure they fire him. Remember at the trade deadline when they knew they needed athletic wings and some better depth the Sixers decided they were going to get themselved below the luxury tax so that Joshua Harris can make an extra $16 million this off-season. And  Hoffman and Derek Bodner talked about it in their podcast specifically saying that’s what they were going to do and it was BS for a contending team. So since doc has two years left on that contract and they just got finished paying Brett Brown his payout (i believe it was done last year), i can see the sixers not wanting to pay doc his buyout and pay top dollar for a new coach. 

that said, I don’t think doc was the biggest issue in this past series. Don’t get me wrong he didn’t do anything to help the sixers besides game 5. And I’d fire him cause i don’t think he’s the coach that gets you to where you ultimately want to go.  Sadly he should been fired after the Miami series last year. That’s the series where he got school coaching wise

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I feel exactly the same. This is why I still can’t believe the #1 story coming out of the draft wasn’t what Houston gave up for Will Anderson… which was precisely the price I was listing for Nolan Smith. Perennial Pro Bowler? Not close to good enough.
He has to become Nick Bosa or it was a big mistake. 

That price can get you nearly any defensive player in the league. 1 of 11 defensive starters isn’t worth that insane price unless he’s immediately a perennial DMVP candidate. 2 firsts for anything less is just nuts. ESPECIALLY for a team with as many holes as HOU

I heard a report over the weekend from a Commanders beat reporter who said the issues they have with Chase Young extend far beyond his injuries.  He cited reports of poor practice habits, poor work ethic, and "stuff that is not public that have made the organization extremely disappointed".  Also made reference to Young not developing any repertoire of pass rushing moves beyond what he entered the league with.

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I am not 100% sure they fire him. Remember at the trade deadline when they knew they needed athletic wings and some better depth the Sixers decided they were going to get themselved below the luxury tax so that Joshua Harris can make an extra $16 million this off-season. And  Hoffman and Derek Bodner talked about it in their podcast specifically saying that’s what they were going to do and it was BS for a contending team. So since doc has two years left on that contract and they just got finished paying Brett Brown his payout (i believe it was done last year), i can see the sixers not wanting to pay doc his buyout and pay top dollar for a new coach. 

that said, I don’t think doc was the biggest issue in this past series. Don’t get me wrong he didn’t do anything to help the sixers besides game 5. And I’d fire him cause i don’t think he’s the coach that gets you to where you ultimately want to go.  Sadly he should been fired after the Miami series last year. That’s the series where he got school coaching wise

I think Rivers should be fired as a response to what Embiid said.  If the culture there is that it's Embiid and Harden over everybody else, that's a really poor locker room culture to have -- especially being voiced by your MVP.  Why should Embiid take any accountability?  Rivers never takes any.

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

I think Rivers should be fired as a response to what Embiid said.  If the culture there is that it's Embiid and Harden over everybody else, that's a really poor locker room culture to have -- especially being voiced by your MVP.  Why should Embiid take any accountability?  Rivers never takes any.

They're both losers.

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Supposedly it's going to come down to Harden. I don't want anything to do with either but if they plan on bringing Harden back, Rivers is out. If Rivers is back, Hardens out.

6 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Tbh that culture was there from when Brett brown was there. Not so sure that’s strictly a doc thing. Doc definitely doesn’t and just always blames things on it’s a make or miss league. That said sixers allowed for it since the time they drafted embiid and Simmons. Neither has/had ever taken it since they got here. I’d blame doc for a lot of things but embiid not taking accountability goes back to the previous regime with Brett brown and company. 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Supposedly it's going to come down to Harden. I don't want anything to do with either but if they plan on bringing Harden back, Rivers is out. If Rivers is back, Hardens out.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Tbh that culture was there from when Brett brown was there. Not so sure that’s strictly a doc thing. Doc definitely doesn’t and just always blames things on it’s a make or miss league. That said sixers allowed for it since the time they drafted embiid and Simmons. Neither has/had ever taken it since they got here. I’d blame doc for a lot of things but embiid not taking accountability goes back to the previous regime with Brett brown and company. 

Doc going with the "would you ask Pop that question" always irked me... Same thing with we were never going to win with that team (Clippers) as no one got along... That's his job.  Plus he looks clueless and never seems to challenge anything.

Also I like Biid but why can the dude never shoot a bank shot?  I just feel he has such a great touch that would open up so many more doors for him.

Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover models include 81 year old Martha Stewart and a trans woman.  What happened to the good old days of Tyra Banks and her forehead?

Archived