EMB Blog: 2020 Training Camp

Connecticut Eagle

10 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

My daughter, who is now a New Yorker (basically a Yankees fan.  She really doesn’t follow other sports other than soccer), loves Gritty. She wanted me to get on the highway and pick up Gritty when he posted the hitchhiking video. 

Left downtown Philadelphia maybe a year or so ago, but when we were there Gritty was everywhere. Street art, stickers, mugs, murals, fridge magnets.  Everywhere. My wife who doesn't even really follow any sports outside of the Eagles follows him on social media. He was a truly brilliant marketing scheme.  

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, eagle45 said:

I think most people are on the same page re Ertz.  It's a touchy debate because we get caught up in semantics.

No one wants to "get rid of Ertz."  No one wants to pay Ertz $>13m per year for the next 5 years either.  So we are all coming from the same place here.  

For me, I'd trade Ertz for a 2nd round pick.  Not a 3rd.  

I break from the pack on what I'd be willing to extend him for simply because I do not like the 12 personnel.  This offense has gotten worse and less explosive as we've leaned on 12 personnel more and more.  Many thought they were going to take the league by storm and have mismatches everywhere.  They have not.  And their investments in the TE position have come at the cost of the WR position as well.  So they chose this direction.  I'd start to backtrack, rather than double down with extensions to both Ertz and Goedert.

Sorry for the late reply on this, but I have to disagree.

That has been a function of the absolute slop we have had at WR.  With Jackson, Reagor, Hightower and Watkins we now should have the speed needed to really cause problems with 12.  I also disagree it came at the cost of the WR position.  We gave money to Alshon, Agholor, drafted JJAW in the 2nd, etc.  We put adequate resources into the position, they were just deployed terribly. 

That all said, I'd be OK trading a Ertz for a 2nd.  I'd also be fine using that 2nd on another TE.  The 2nd round is a really nice sweet spot for the TE position.

10 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Left downtown Philadelphia maybe a year or so ago, but when we were there Gritty was everywhere. Street art, stickers, mugs, murals, fridge magnets.  Everywhere. My wife who doesn't even really follow any sports outside of the Eagles follows him on social media. He was a truly brilliant marketing scheme.  

It was really such a bizarre 24 hours. I remember when he was revealed almost every Flyers fan **** on him. When the national media picked up on him and made jokes, Philly somehow did a quick 180 and defended him to the death 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

It was really such a bizarre 24 hours. I remember when he was revealed almost every Flyers fan **** on him. When the national media picked up on him, Philly somehow did a quick 180 and defended him to the death 

Classic Philadelphia response to defend their own, and his creators absolutely knew it would happen. Hell they had pictures of him photoshopped in a Kardashian centerfold pose by day 2.  They were 100% prepared to lean into the creepiness and it 100% worked.  Bravo.

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

It was really such a bizarre 24 hours. I remember when he was revealed almost every Flyers fan **** on him. When the national media picked up on him and made jokes, Philly somehow did a quick 180 and defended him to the death 

It's like the kid you make fun of on your block.  It's OK until someone from another neighborhood does it, then you're throwing fists.

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

I don't think Buck/Westbrook/Duce is a fair comparison at all, but hey, I hope it happens.

Boobie >>> Buck. Scott and platoon Westbrook are about even, developed Westbrook v developed Scott is an unknown. Duce, when he was the lead back >> Clements but their running styles are so similar and Clement is better catching the ball.  2017 Clements >> post lis franc Duce. 

9 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

I actually don’t fault Peters all that much, if it is in fact his stance.  You tell me you’re going with Dillard so you’re not resigning me, then you say okay you can come back and play RG since we lost Brooks, but we see your value at $3M and we’ll throw in some incentives so maybe you can make $6M.  Now you want me to save your bacon because my replacement has disappeared, but you want me to step over there for 1/3 of what I was just earning a few months ago?

I’d throw him at bit extra if Stoutland says we need him at LT, but I’d only pay him around the same rate as Andrew Whitworth is playing for — $6.7M against the cap

You don't think after years of being paid more and more money he couldn't just do the team a solid? After earning $100M with the Eagles he couldn't have just given the team something because they are in a bind?

9 hours ago, DEagle7 said:

I'm not arguing that he's worth it or not. I just don't see how people think the Eagles "caving" to any demands he made will result in some mass influx of new contract demands. He's a highly respected vet with a ton of leverage. I can't imagine a guy like Mills thinks he's in remotely a similar position to make demands. 

But it's the principles of it. Players have to move from position to position sometimes. Sometimes corners have to move to safety in a game. Sometimes guards have to move to tackle and vice versa. Would we expect Lane to demand more money if the team asked him to move across to LT?

8 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Judging from the NBA and NHL pumped in crowd noise, this will be an absolute S show for football.  Its just too varied as a crowd experience.  Yea, they'll boost it for kickoffs like Madden.  And in the beginning you're like, Yea that sounds right.  But after a few games you notice little things that happen that normally get specific crowd responses just have that monotone 'hum' of the generic crowd sound and its like, wtf?  Good example are missed penalties or non-calls in which the crowd erupts.  Or cheap shots after the play.  And you're talking about Eagles fans.  We all know how that Linc crowd reacts.  I'm not optimistic, and it definitely gives an advantage to teams that will have fans.

5 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

How are you guys watching Hockey when they are replaying the Eagles 2017 SB on NBC, followed by Eagles season preview then SB post game live

Because the hockey team are now 1 win away from the equivalent of the Vikings playoff game in 2017.

2 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Boobie >>> Buck. Scott and platoon Westbrook are about even, developed Westbrook v developed Scott is an unknown. Duce, when he was the lead back >> Clements but their running styles are so similar and Clement is better catching the ball.  2017 Clements >> post lis franc Duce. 

I'm excited to have Sanders get the lions share of carries this year like a proper #1 back. I expect him to do well.

But I can't get it out of my head that this team is gonna miss Jordan Howard and those change up, inside runs.

3 minutes ago, Green Dog said:

I'm excited to have Sanders get the lions share of carries this year like a proper #1 back. I expect him to do well.

But I can't get it out of my head that this team is gonna miss Jordan Howard and those change up, inside runs.

I can't get it out of my head that this team is relying on 3 backs when one of them is Corey Clement!

5 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Did you really just compare Boston Scott to Brian Westbrook??? Boston Scott is at best a poor man’s Sproles. Wow. 

We have someone trying to say Boston Scott is on the same level as Brian Westbrook to try and prove a point/win an argument. 

Glad things are getting back to normal around these parts. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You don't think after years of being paid more and more money he couldn't just do the team a solid? After earning $100M with the Eagles he couldn't have just given the team something because they are in a bind?

I don't plan on giving the company I work for a favor if they ask me to take on more responsibility in my final year of work. 

President of Company: Hey greend  we know that you've been General manager now for 20 years but we want to try out the new guy on your final year.

greend: um okay

P.O.C.: So were going to let you go and see what happens.

greend: I guess that's your choice to make

Phone rings

greend: Hello

P.O.C. Hey greend the Ops manager just had an accident and he will be out for a year. Can you come back and fill in for him? By the way your pay will be based on his salary not your old one, you know less responsibility.

greend: I guess so, I'm sitting on the couch getting fatter anyways.

2 weeks before the busy season

P.O.C. Hey greend um the new G.M. was also in an accident and he'll be out for a year as well. Can you go back to your old role  but keep getting paid as an ops manager.

greend: No freaking way, in fact I think I would like a bump on my old salary.

Tell me why what I'm doing is wrong?

4 minutes ago, greend said:

President of Company: Hey greend  we know that you've been General manager now for 20 years but we want to try out the new guy on your final year.

greend: um okay

P.O.C.: So were going to let you go and see what happens.

greend: I guess that's your choice to make

Phone rings

greend: Hello

P.O.C. Hey greend the Ops manager just had an accident and he will be out for a year. Can you come back and fill in for him? By the way your pay will be based on his salary not your old one, you know less responsibility.

greend: I guess so, I'm sitting on the couch getting fatter anyways.

2 weeks before the busy season

P.O.C. Hey greend um the new G.M. was also in an accident and he'll be out for a year as well. Can you go back to your old role  but keep getting paid as an ops manager.

greend: No freaking way, in fact I think I would like a bump on my old salary.

Tell me why what I'm doing is wrong?

Why the F did you go back to that company? I would have told them to lick my taint. You got the power dawg.

I’d ask for more than your old salary if you want your old salary back. 

7 minutes ago, RLC said:

Craig James made the team!

We did the same thing with Cre'von Leblanc too when we choose to keep him.

So pretty much solidifies that Douglas and/or Jones is out I would imagine. Can't see them keeping 7 CBs. 

18 minutes ago, RLC said:

I like Craig James, now just get him out of that horrible number 39.  He along with the rookie linebackers and Wallace should be the core STers this year.

Slay, Maddox, NRC, James, LeBlanc are locks.  Do they keep 5 or 6?  Can they get late round picks for both Rasul and Sidney? 

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I like Craig James, now just get him out of that horrible number 39.  He along with the rookie linebackers and Wallace should be the core STers this year.

Slay, Maddox, NRC, James, LeBlanc are locks.  Do they keep 5 or 6?  Can they get late round picks for both Rasul and Sidney? 

I can't see why any team would give up draft capital in a trade when they can just wait a day for all the roster cuts from 32 teams to shake guys loose .....

Bill O'Brien and John Gruden have jobs shaping rosters, though -- and they ARE stupid

42 minutes ago, RLC said:

Sidney Jones or Rasul are gone.  

Archived