EMB Blog: 2020 Training Camp

Connecticut Eagle

43 minutes ago, greend said:

President of Company: Hey greend  we know that you've been General manager now for 20 years but we want to try out the new guy on your final year.

greend: um okay

P.O.C.: So were going to let you go and see what happens.

greend: I guess that's your choice to make

Phone rings

greend: Hello

P.O.C. Hey greend the Ops manager just had an accident and he will be out for a year. Can you come back and fill in for him? By the way your pay will be based on his salary not your old one, you know less responsibility.

greend: I guess so, I'm sitting on the couch getting fatter anyways.

2 weeks before the busy season

P.O.C. Hey greend um the new G.M. was also in an accident and he'll be out for a year as well. Can you go back to your old role  but keep getting paid as an ops manager.

greend: No freaking way, in fact I think I would like a bump on my old salary.

Tell me why what I'm doing is wrong?

Seem like you should ask for some sort of hazard pay.  

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

The weird thing about the NHL right now is the games in Edmonton, the fake noise sounds good, someone realistic and if you were a casual fan you probably wouldn't notice. 

The games in Toronto are off. like someone off site is doing them, cant tell how loud to make it and just doesnt sound good. .

I dont understand the Viking comparison. 

Yea, at the very least it makes it sound like a pre-season hockey game.  No where near playoff hockey but they have done a good job with adjusting the levels when there are plays on the net and such.  

They could do one better since they already incorporate the home team with the horn and goal song is add in some Let's Go Flyers chants if they had any or maybe a Ref You Suck.

What's going to be the worst is college football.  No bands, no chants, none of the in game traditions.  That's so much of what makes the college game great.  

39 minutes ago, birdgang said:

do teams have to wait until sunday to start putting together the practice squad?

Yes

1 hour ago, DEagle7 said:

Interesting

So does this mean they are going with Antonio Gibson as the lead back?  Fantasy purposes only

10 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

So does this mean they are going with Antonio Gibson as the lead back?  Fantasy purposes only

I wonder how Bryce Love has looked for them.  Flat out stud at Stanford, unfortunate injury pre-draft. 

1 hour ago, greend said:

President of Company: Hey greend  we know that you've been General manager now for 20 years but we want to try out the new guy on your final year.

greend: um okay

P.O.C.: So were going to let you go and see what happens.

greend: I guess that's your choice to make

Phone rings

greend: Hello

P.O.C. Hey greend the Ops manager just had an accident and he will be out for a year. Can you come back and fill in for him? By the way your pay will be based on his salary not your old one, you know less responsibility.

greend: I guess so, I'm sitting on the couch getting fatter anyways.

2 weeks before the busy season

P.O.C. Hey greend um the new G.M. was also in an accident and he'll be out for a year as well. Can you go back to your old role  but keep getting paid as an ops manager.

greend: No freaking way, in fact I think I would like a bump on my old salary.

Tell me why what I'm doing is wrong?

Hey greend, our GM is out for a while.  You know we moved on from you because you were slowing down and not as sharp as in the past and that though you wanted to work, no one was calling. We offered you a deal to work for us and you agreed.    We appreciate you coming in and filling in and our contract with you gives you a fair salary, more than we were paying the current GM, in fact.  We hate to say it but under the contract you signed, you are obligated to do what we ask. Neither of us specified the job in the contract.  In fact, we gave you a huge sign on bonus to cement the contract.  You are an honorable guy and we know your word is your bond so you will honor your side of the contract.  Plus there is a bonus we owe you every week you show up to work and we will honor that and your salary as we agreed.  

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Are we really going to do the whole compare our jobs to their jobs thing again?

Just answer the question or not either way I don't care.

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Also, 30 other companies haven’t called you.  You wanna retire, then retire.  You wanna work, then the terms are what you agreend to.  

I really do agree with this! Absolutely. 

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Also, 30 other companies haven’t called you.  You wanna retire, then retire.  You wanna work, then the terms are what you agreend to.  

Done 

Nah, I'll just work the job that we agreed to.

23 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Hey greend, our GM is out for a while.  You know we moved on from you because you were slowing down and not as sharp as in the past and that though you wanted to work, no one was calling. We offered you a deal to work for us and you agreed.    We appreciate you coming in and filling in and our contract with you gives you a fair salary, more than we were paying the current GM, in fact.  We hate to say it but under the contract you signed, you are obligated to do what we ask. Neither of us specified the job in the contract.  In fact, we gave you a huge sign on bonus to cement the contract.  You are an honorable guy and we know your word is your bond so you will honor your side of the contract.  Plus there is a bonus we owe you every week you show up to work and we will honor that and your salary as we agreed.  

Sure I agreed to come back and fill in for the ops manager at that pay level , but now you want me to do the job you kicked me out of for less money. Nah I'll be the ops manager, just like we agreed. I mean you're honorable too, right?

As far as I'm concerned, the biggest problem with the pumped in fake crowd noise at hockey games is that they have the fans cheering when the "visiting team" scores. Sure, there are always some fans in the arena rooting that way, but the overriding reaction is generally a groan rather than a cheer. 

1 minute ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

As far as I'm concerned, the biggest problem with the pumped in fake crowd noise at hockey games is that they have the fans cheering when the "visiting team" scores. Sure, there are always some fans in the arena rooting that way, but the overriding reaction is generally a groan rather than a cheer. 

Exactly.  For the Flyers games there really does need to be a lot of booing piped in.

15 minutes ago, greend said:

Nah, I'll just work the job that we agreed to.

Sure I agreed to come back and fill in for the ops manager at that pay level , but now you want me to do the job you kicked me out of for less money. Nah I'll be the ops manager, just like we agreed. I mean you're honorable too, right?

That's not exactly true.   Your contract expired, and (according to all reports) you both decided to look for a better option, you with another employer, us with the new GM.  No one called you, and so we called you back to fill in where we had an opening.  

As for the honor piece... both sides need to give a little here.   This isn't some 'off the street' FA, this is a guy who's been here a decade, so he needs to show the loyalty to the team that they showed to him in bringing him back (no one else wanted him, and he clearly feels he's not done playing yet) and they need to sweeten his deal a little.  But, he also has to realize that the team is already cap strapped, and with the Covid impact on next year's cap, it will be worse.  What they should do is just agree to bring him back as a coach at an exorbitant salary as a first year assistant OL coach.  Coaches salaries have no restrictions, so Jason just has to wait for his pay, but the team doesn't hurt any worse on the cap.  

That said, I think all this consternation is meaningless, as I don't think he'll last that long at either position, honestly.  Which is why the team likely doesn't want to pay him more... because after 1 week, his full salary is fully guaranteed.

17 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Well week 1 at Washington will be normal 

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

What’s the contract say?  It’s job specific not position specific.  

I don't know what Peter's contract says. I do know that he was brought in only after injury to play guard. I do not know what the discussions were during the negotiations either. I don't know that any of us know that though.

1 hour ago, garingovt2000 said:

Probably, but i'm guessing they are more RBBC

10 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's not exactly true.   Your contract expired, and (according to all reports) you both decided to look for a better option, you with another employer, us with the new GM.  No one called you, and so we called you back to fill in where we had an opening.  

As for the honor piece... both sides need to give a little here.   This isn't some 'off the street' FA, this is a guy who's been here a decade, so he needs to show the loyalty to the team that they showed to him in bringing him back (no one else wanted him, and he clearly feels he's not done playing yet) and they need to sweeten his deal a little.  But, he also has to realize that the team is already cap strapped, and with the Covid impact on next year's cap, it will be worse.  What they should do is just agree to bring him back as a coach at an exorbitant salary as a first year assistant OL coach.  Coaches salaries have no restrictions, so Jason just has to wait for his pay, but the team doesn't hurt any worse on the cap.  

That said, I think all this consternation is meaningless, as I don't think he'll last that long at either position, honestly.  Which is why the team likely doesn't want to pay him more... because after 1 week, his full salary is fully guaranteed.

His contract expired and wasn't renewed because......................................................... they thought they had his replacement. That said there were rumors that other teams were making offers but that he was hoping to return here. Not one of us know either way what offers he had. 

8 minutes ago, greend said:

His contract expired and wasn't renewed because......................................................... they thought they had his replacement. That said there were rumors that other teams were making offers but that he was hoping to return here. Not one of us know either way what offers he had. 

because he's 38 years old and was starting to slip... a lot... 

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

So ...... "nah I’ll just work the job we agreed to” means ....???

It means what it says. Not sure why you think that you can tie me up in knots over the contract that nobody knows about. Evidently if the Eagles thought they could force him into playing L.T. (if they even want him to)  they would. So my guess is somewhere along the lines he was told what position he was being called back for. 

I'm not one that necessarily stands up for players in these situations (ask r.c.) but in this instance  I don't see why Peters shouldn't ask for more money to play a higher paying position for the whole year of his contract.

Stumbled upon this stat while reading some fantasy football stuff...

Over the last two seasons, with an average depth of target (aDOT) of 13.6, Ja’Marr Chase was deemed open on 69% of his targets. 65% of those throws were charted as accurate. (Per PFF.)

Over the past two seasons, with an identical aDOT of 13.6 (implying same difficulty of throws), Reagor was charted as open on 73% of his targets. But only 37% of those throws were deemed accurate.

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

because he's 38 years old and was starting to slip... a lot... 

sure that's what you think I disagree. He did slip (but he's still as good as most in the league) but if he's good enough now to play because he has to, he's good enough to get paid.

Archived