EMB Blog: 2020 Regular Season

Connecticut Eagle

16 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Come out of this upcoming draft with Ja'Marr Chase and Najee Harris in Rounds 1 and 2, and you will be on your way... Reagor becomes a multi-tool and the primary option on flanker screens, jet sweeps, end arounds, etc.  Also frees him up to remain at PR.  Harris becomes that feature back that you can ride for 20+ carries a game, and Sanders goes back to that change of pace home run hitter without having to give him too many touches and wearing him down... clearly he can't handle a big load physically.  He's always dealing with some soft tissue issue when 'over used'.  (Of course, currently, he's dramatically underused.)  And this team can be a base 11 personnel with this group.   Not perfect, and just a step in the right direction, but it would be a step.  

Please no round 2 RBs with all the holes we have on the team. We’re blowing it up, don’t waste a resource on RB in a rebuild. 

• Replies 62.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Godfather said:

Agreed. Only one that's gone is Ertz and possibly BG

I don't think they can move on from BG but I guess it depends on what they do in the draft and what they plan to do with Barnett. Ertz is gone, Alshon will be gone, Desean will be gone and I would not be surprised if Cox is traded. Not for much value but just to move him on at this point and send a statement.

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Eh I don’t take a quarterback just to take a quarterback in the top five because I’m picking in the top five. I have to actually love the quarterback in order to make that selection. I know the Washington football team said they loved Dwayne Haskins but I think they love Dwayne Haskins because he played quarterback and they desperately need a quarterback of the future. And talked themselves into drafting Dwayne Haskins. Hypothetically if Lance falls to you and you are not in love with him and do not think he is going to be an elite quarterback then don’t just take him because he’s a quarterback.

When you do not have a Franchise QB, you MUST keep trying to get one, or you will NEVER have one. 

The only way you dont take a QB in the top 5 of the draft is if you already have your Franchise QB.  We had one, we killed him, we now need one. 

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Might need to include QB on that list...  I don't know that Wentz is fixable (definitely not by this coaching staff) and I never thought Hurts was a future franchise QB... unless maybe they decide to run the Baltimore Ravens' offense... which I would prefer they didn't.

I really don’t think that offense is sustainable to winning a Super Bowl. You can have success regular season but i think playoffs is where it catches up to you. You have to have a quarterback if you’re running that type of offense that is good enough as a passer as he is a runner to have the success you want to have to win a Super Bowl.

You are seeing with the Cardinals. they are regressing every single week because Kyler Murray is not a good enough passer yet. Teams have figured out he is going to run and they’re taking that away from him and making him beat you from the pocket. They’ve lost 3 of 4 and if not for a Hail Mary five in a row. Because teams and rumbly have caught up to it and made adjustments.

The league has caught up to the Ravens and Lamar Jackson. He has struggled to adjust to the adjustments that the league has made. Even in the playoffs that offense struggled because he wasn’t good enough to pass so when they got a little behind it was a snowball effect. Additionally every time they play the Chiefs they get behind it snowballs on them because aren’t good enough at passing the ball.  You have to have a good enough passer if you’re running that offense to do it. But frankly you’re probably not running that type of offense if you’re passing game is good enough because you’re not gonna put your quarterback at risk to get hit that much. You’ll have your quarterback run at sometimes cause he can and get out of the pocket but when overwhelmingly relied upon you are seeing it is hard to win consistently Over time in the nfc cause the league adjusts 

6 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I see no reason why they should move on from Sanders. He's still on his rookie deal.  I agree about Ertz.  I think they can't move on from Cox, Hargrave or Lane this offseason because of the salary cap hits.  With respect to Lane, I think his ankle injury may be more concerning than his salary cap hit in terms of a return to form.  McLeod is only on a 2 year deal so there's no reason to get rid of him going into 2021.  Slay could be traded but again I think they are stuck with him next season.  

The alternative is that Hurts comes in and looks reasonable.  Brooks returns and adds stability to the o-line next season and they win the division.  

You move those players to acquire draft resources. This team won't be winning jack for at least two years.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think they can move on from BG but I guess it depends on what they do in the draft and what they plan to do with Barnett. Ertz is gone, Alshon will be gone, Desean will be gone and I would not be surprised if Cox is traded. Not for much value but just to move him on at this point and send a statement.

Imo, Cox will still be here. His contract is ugly and I believe a lot of dead money the Eagles will eat if traded. I fully expect Barnett to get an extension to lower his cap hit next year. Agreed on everyone else.

1 minute ago, Ipiggles said:

When you do not have a Franchise QB, you MUST keep trying to get one, or you will NEVER have one. 

The only way you dont take a QB in the top 5 of the draft is if you already have your Franchise QB.  We had one, we killed him, we now need one. 

So you would rather just waste a pick and continue to waste a picks if you don’t love the quarterback. That is not smart. That is how teams like the Jaguar stay the Jaguars. They did this multiple times. I would rather build up your team because you’re gonna be bad anyways. So you’re gonna be bad with selecting a bad quarterback that you didn’t really love. Or you could build a team up and be bad and eventually a quarterback falls and you go get that quarterback so when he gets here that team is already built up.

Some of the teams stay at the bottom of the league is because they did what you just said. Washington and Jacksonville come to mind. Bad organizations just take quarterbacks because they need a quarterback. You don’t just take a quarterback because you have a need at quarterback if you do not love the quarterback that you are taking.

6 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

It's a waste when you have 2 young QBs one of whom has played at a high level just recently.  It's also a waste when the team is at pick 6 and there are likely only 2-3 QBs worth a top 10 pick and none of those QBs are likely to be there at pick 6.  

8 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Disagree with this. They need to work on Oline and weapons otherwise you're in the same horrible circle you've been in that ruined Wentz

Just now, NCiggles said:

It's a waste when you have 2 young QBs one of whom has played at a high level just recently.  It's also a waste when the team is at pick 6 and there are likely only 2-3 QBs worth a top 10 pick and none of those QBs are likely to be there at pick 6.  

What you said you could make the argument for.

What he saying is if you don’t have a franchise quarterback which I’m assuming he thinks Eagles don’t have then just take a quarterback if you’re picking in the top five. That is bad drafting. There’s been teams that gone by this philosophy and they continuously get burned. The reason why the Eagles moved up to get Carson Wentz five years ago was because they fell in love with Carson Wentz and knew the Rams were going to take Jared Goff before they made that trade (even though howie said what he did about chocolate and vanilla/pepperoni or sausage). The Cardinals took Josh Rosen because he fell and they were in the top 10 they need a quarterback. But they really didn’t love Josh Rosen. They took him because he was a quarterback. They eventually traded him the next year because they were so bad that they manage to fall into the number one pick and get another quarterback in Kyler Murray.  The Cardinals would be much better right now if they didn’t waste a top 7 draft pick on Josh Rosen because they needed a quarterback (reports the organization wasn’t in love with him as much as other QBs in that draft) and used it on another position because they were gonna be bad the following year anyways.  have Kyler Murray and that draft pick which they would be better off right now. 

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

Look I love Wentz, but he has to go now - you told him that when you benched him, that you no longer have confidence he can be that guy.

. We NOW need a franchise QB, and you dont always get the chance to draft one. Needing one and being in position to draft one, usually never lines up.  So You have to do that when you have a top 5 pick, unless you already have one. 

We dont have one, we will be drafting in the top 5.  We HAVE to take one. Trying to build the team first, than hoping you can get back into a top 5 pick in the draft RARELY works out. You are usually drafting in the mid rounds and miss out on all the best QB's

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

What you said you could make the argument for.

What he saying is if you don’t have a franchise quarterback which I’m assuming he thinks Eagles don’t have then just take a quarterback if you’re picking in the top five. That is bad drafting. There’s been teams that gone by this philosophy and they continuously get burned. The reason why the Eagles moved up to get Carson Wentz five years ago was because they fell in love with Carson Wentz and knew the Rams were going to take Jared Goff before they made that trade (even though howie said what he did about chocolate and vanilla/pepperoni or sausage). The Cardinals took Josh Rosen because he fell and they were in the top 10 they need a quarterback. But they really didn’t love Josh Rosen. They took him because he was a quarterback. They eventually traded him the next year because they were so bad that they manage to fall into the number one pick and get another quarterback in Kyler Murray.  The Cardinals would be much better right now if they didn’t waste a top 7 draft pick on Josh Rosen because they needed a quarterback (reports the organization wasn’t in love with him as much as other QBs in that draft) and used it on another position because they were gonna be bad the following year anyways.  have Kyler Murray and that draft pick which they would be better off right now. 

The issue will be you can build a good team without a QB, and you will NEVER be in position to get that good QB. 

You need the good QB first, then build your team. 

59 minutes ago, RLC said:

The combination of a scary injury history, shaky mechanics and lost athleticism is enough for me to move on. If he can't win in the pocket, it's over.

Oh no, he cant win in the pocket that usually doesnt hold up with different linemen each week, throwing to a constant rotation of receivers who can almost never get open, running an offense that has been thoroughly exposed, and having no running game either by coach's choice or pure OL incompetence

Moving on from Wentz in literally the worst situation in his career would be peak stupidity considering all of the factors.

Of he sucked with a good supporting cast and good coaches, thats one thing.

But you can do this in real life, even though ll of the ESPN click baiters want this franchise to be a disaster, you cant do it

The WORST case scenario is ending up with Jalen Hurts and a new HC and new GM.  That would be the start of a 4 year rebuild

7 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Disagree with this. They need to work on Oline and weapons otherwise you're in the same horrible circle you've been in that ruined Wentz

You have already Killed Wentz's future here. He now has to go.  He will still turn out good, just now somewhere else. 

Until you get that next Franchise QB, you are building nothing.  A good team without a Franchise QB is just a mediocre team. Since the QB is the hardest piece to get, and the most important piece, you must keep trying to locate that piece, must never stop, until you have one. 

19 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

The issue will be you can build a good team without a QB, and you will NEVER be in position to get that good QB. 

You need the good QB first, then build your team. 

your theory is I have a top-five pick so I should just throw it out a quarterback even if you don’t love the QB is ridiculous. If you do not believe the quarterbacks is going to be good enough to win anything meaningful with and you don’t believe in him then you’re just wasting a top-five pick on a quarterback just because he’s a quarterback. You are going to be bad not having a QB or drafting one you don’t love and he busts. That is bad draft philosophy. Anyway you slice it is ridiculous. You don’t  just to take a quarterback because you have a need a quarterback and in the top 5. This is like taking Dwayne Haskins because he’s a top-five pick and a quarterback even though you think Dwayne Haskins is going to be a bust. That makes no sense.

This is exactly what the Jaguars have done, the Cardinals with Rosen/leinart or the Browns did for years. They wasted years doing what your philosophy was because they had a need a quarterback but weren’t in love with the guy they were selecting. so you might wind up wasting three or four draft high draft picks  and continue to be awful because you don’t love the guy and talk yourself into because they are a quarterback. 

The Eagles didn’t just draft Jalen hurts because Jalen hurts was a quarterback. They drafted him because They thought they could get the next Russell Wilson. They even said that. They love the kid that’s why they drafted him. The Philadelphia Eagles are not going to just take a quarterback because he plays the quarterback position. I could go back and find the quote but I’m positive Jeffrey Lori Lurie he talked about when they drafted Carson Wentz they would not take a quarterback that high unless they were truly in love with the player that they were selecting. 

3 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

What this coaching staff, who's been AWFUL has NOTHING to do with the next coaching staff. 

If a new staff comes in here, tells wentz he's the guy(which will happen) and the move Hurts for a bag of fruit(hopefully yo where ever Doug ends up as an OC) Wentz' confidence with the new staff, new scheme will be just fine

Now I agree, you're either keeping Doug or Wentz, but I think everything, good and bad, says to keep Wentz.

It could happen, but likely does not. A new coaching staff has no ties to any players on the roster. Like every other new coaching staff, they all announce "there will be competition at every position"  No one will come in here and tell wentz he is their guy.  The only way that happens is when a team TRADES or SIGNS him. 

If defense doesn't matter, how come the Giants just beat Seattle with McCoy at QB?

The Giants (and Miami) are good examples how to turn it around while rebuilding.

Giants didn't draft great for a while, but built through a combination of draft, trades and signing young castoffs and older players to short-term deals. So they didn't tie up the cap with big contracts to over 30 players while patching together a competitive team. But three bad seasons gave them top picks but they still missed their fair share of high draft picks.

2016: #40 Sheppard, #71 Thompson S, #149 Perkins RB, #179 Adams TE, are depth players, missed on #10 Apple (traded for 4th and 7th rd picks), #109 Goodson LB dumped after 3rd season, now starts for Cleveland.

2017:  #23 Engram TE, #53 Tomlinson DT, #140 Gallman RB, backups: missed on #87 Webb QB, #167 Moss DE, #200 Bisnowaty T

2018:  #2 Barkley RB, #34 Hernandez OG, backups: #66 Carter LB,  #69 BJ Hill DT, #139 McIntosh DT, missed on #109 Lauletta QB

2019:  #6 Jones QB, #17 Lawrence DT, #171 Slayton WR, backups: #95 Ximines LB, #108 Love S, missed on #30 Baker CB, #143 Connolly, #180 Ballentine CB, #232 Asafo-Adeji T, #245 Slayton DT

2020:  #4 Thomas OT, backups  #36 McKinney S (2 games), #99 Peart OT, #110 Darney Holmes, #150 Lemieux OG, #183 Brown LB, #218 Couglin LB, #238 Brunson LB, #255 Crowder LB

Filled in with Freeman (30) RB, Tate (32) WR, Kaden Smith (23) TE [SFA], Leonard Williams (26) DT, Kyler Fackrell (29) LB, Devante Downs (25) LB, Logan Ryan (29) S, Peppers (25) S, Isaac Yiadom (24) CB

3/13/19 Beckham for Peppers, #17-2019, #95-2019

10/20/19: 2020 3rd and 2020 5th for Leonard Williams DT

9/2/20: 2020 7th rd pick for Isaac Yiadom CB

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

your theory is I have a top-five pick so I should just throw it out a quarterback even if you don’t love the QB is ridiculous. If you do not believe the quarterbacks is going to be good enough to win anything meaningful with and you don’t believe in him then you’re just wasting a top-five pick on a quarterback just because he’s a quarterback. You are going to be bad not having a QB or drafting one you don’t love and he busts. That is bad draft philosophy. Anyway you slice it is ridiculous. You don’t  just to take a quarterback because you have a need a quarterback and in the top 5. This is like taking Dwayne Haskins because he’s a top-five pick and a quarterback even though you think Dwayne Haskins is going to be a bust. That makes no sense.

This is exactly what the Jaguars have done, the Cardinals with Rosen/leinart or the Browns did for years. They wasted years doing what your philosophy was because they had a need a quarterback but weren’t in love with the guy they were selecting. so you might wind up wasting three or four draft high draft picks  and continue to be awful because you don’t love the guy and talk yourself into because they are a quarterback. 

Nah- im just not taking the time to list all that has to happen in order for you to get your guy. You have to identify the right guy and go get him. What ever it takes. Because you are nothing without a Franchise QB. NOTHING. 

8 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Oh no, he cant win in the pocket that usually doesnt hold up with different linemen each week, throwing to a constant rotation of receivers who can almost never get open, running an offense that has been thoroughly exposed, and having no running game either by coach's choice or pure OL incompetence

Moving on from Wentz in literally the worst situation in his career would be peak stupidity considering all of the factors.

Of he sucked with a good supporting cast and good coaches, thats one thing.

But you can do this in real life, even though ll of the ESPN click baiters want this franchise to be a disaster, you cant do it

The WORST case scenario is ending up with Jalen Hurts and a new HC and new GM.  That would be the start of a 4 year rebuild

Exactly. That's why you would move Sanders and anyone else that as value.

Fire Roseman.  His team construction and decisions have directly led to this disaster of a season.  No depth, no youth, expensive aging team.  This is a no brainer.  He made some good trades to get us the Super Bowl but every thing since then has pretty much been a dumpster fire.   

I am not sure that they fire Doug nor do I know if that is the right move.  I don't think he has lost the team.  They are still playing hard for him.  Just not a good team at all.  He does need to bring in a legit OC and stop with the group think.  Fire Press Taylor and bring in somebody to really drill fundamentals into the QB position.   Schwartz is as good as gone.  Now whether Doug really wants to coach another year is another question.  There were reports even before the season that he was really stressed and not in a good place.  Maybe if he actually delegates the duties for the offense he will feel less pressure and be a better leader of this team.     

Wentz has not looked consistently good all season.  You see flashes when he just hits his back foot and lets it rip.  Some of those passes have just been remarkable.  On the other hand, he looks like a guy who doesn't trust his line to protect him nor his WR's to make the play in tight coverage.  And who can blame him?  They are BUMS.  He is in desperate need of someone to really get his fundamentals back in place.  He doesn't move his feet in the pocket and slide to give him more time.  He is consistently dropping his eyes when the pressure comes.  He looks like a guy who has been battered and needs to reboot.  

Does he return to form and improve drastically with a rebuilt OL, WRs that can get open and good QB coach?   At this point, which is more of a project:  Wentz reclamation or molding Hurts?  If Doug is gone, who does the new coaching staff want?  The answers to those questions will determine who is under Center next season.   

Teams without Franchise QB's are mediocre teams at best.

Teams with Franchise QB's are in the playoff hunt 75-80% of the years that QB plays. 

If you dont have a Franchise QB, you have nothing. We are back to having NOTHING! 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I am not in favor of drafting an off-ball LB at the top of the draft so I would probably attempt to trade down. But the point isn’t that you wanted Surtain over Chase, it’s the argument that D is a bigger need than O.

Needs: OT, C, G, WR, DE, LB, CB, S. 

We can use a lot, obviously. 

OT?   I think we are set there with Dillard and Mailata.  I still have hopes for Wanogho as a swing T after a year of learning/healing and Driscoll as a swing G/T and maybe even center with a real offseason with strength and training.  More depth at interior OL, a strength of the draft, so we both agree there.   Not a first round pick though.

Unless they grab Rousseau, who could be a one year wonder, DE is kind of bare next year. Not really high first worthy.  Parsons early or wait until the third for another developmental LB. Solid depth in the draft at CB but I think Surtain is likely the best around where the Eagles will be picking.  

Deep WR draft class.   Eagles have a lot of draft capital invested in WR already but all are still green. 

Depending on what Dallas does at QB, the Eagles may be in a prime spot to trade down a spot or two as QB needing teams are right below us.  

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Totally disagree and I said it before. The reason these guys become head coaches is that Alpha/I can Fix anything mentality and someone, a lot of candidates will come in here and say. I CAN FIX WENTZ I KNOW I CAN. 

Plus, with all the new faces, both players and coaches staff wise, the only thing that will be the same is the jerseys. 

^the mentality of the Alpha coach is why Tannehill got a 2nd chance. Why Darnold will get a 2nd chance. Cam, well IMO Cam's gotten like 5 chances. and I can go on and on.

Tannehill/Cam got a 2nd chances with a different team, not with the same team. 

2 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Nah- im just not taking the time to list all that has to happen in order for you to get your guy. You have to identify the right guy and go get him. What ever it takes. Because you are nothing without a Franchise QB. NOTHING. 

No Crap but your theory from the last page and a half was while were in the top five so we should take a quarterback. if you scout all the quarterbacks in this class and you say well fields, Lance and the BYU QB aren’t really that great and not in love with them you don’t just go ahead and draft one because you’re picking in the top five.

The Eagles when they moved up for Carson Wentz, they fell in love with him and that’s why they drafted him. Jeffrey lurie said in a press conference they weren’t going to take a quarterback or move up for one unless they were truly in love with the quarterback. It just so happens they loved everything about Carson Wentz. But if they did it they weren’t moving up to get one   

again you don’t have a quarterback you are no man’s land however that doesn’t mean you try to hit a square peg into a round hole and expect it just to be OK. You have to actually love the quarterback you are taking and believe in him. If you don’t it’s going to fail and now you just wasted a pick and failed 

Archived