EMB Blog: 2020 Regular Season

Connecticut Eagle

15 minutes ago, greend said:

Yup if Wentz can be benched then no one should be safe.

If they come out with Hurts as the starting QB in any game... that message needs to be carried forward across the roster.

Alshon shouldn't even be dressing for games.   Reagor, Fulgham, Hightower, Watkins... and then Ward... should be the WRs.  Reagor should be the punt returner EVERY TIME.  If he fumbles one... who cares?   Let him learn so that he can do it moving forward.  (or Hightower or Watkins... just give me someone with juice back there.) 

Peters should be given a gold watch and kicked to the curb.   Thanks JP... Love what you once did for this organization, but now you are retarding the growth of the kids.  Become a coach, but get off the field.  Mailata - Seumalo - Kelce - Herbig - Driscoll... the rest of the way.   They will have learning bumps and bruises... let them work through it, not 'watch the game from a new perspective' - they've done that enough.

McLeod should likely be benched too, and we roll with Wallace back there, for the good or the bad of it.  

Slay needs to get that calf right.  No sense in him trying to match up with Michael Thomas at 85%.  That's just going to fail.  Sit him for his own good.  He's 29 now, he won't bounce back like he did when he was 24.

I hate to say it... but Graham and Curry needs to give more snaps to Barnett and Sweat.  They shouldn't be completely off the field, but those two young guys should be getting more than Graham and Curry.

Holyfield and Huntley should be getting looks over Corey Clement and Jordan Howard.

Start getting these young guys snaps.  They need them, and maybe they will show us something.  We know what the old guard can do.  And at the end of the year... blow... it... all... up... and start fresh with new everything.

• Replies 62.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

In all honesty, the best thing to do is make the decision internally but not announce. Make the Aints game plan for 2 different QBs

23 minutes ago, metal said:

He has JJAW-level production but he's the third-highest paid player on the team. That's probably why he's on the field; his paycheck demands he play when he should simply be deactivated and told to stay home.

his return and the total collapse coincided perfectly... coincidence?

14 minutes ago, greend said:

Who's a decent G.M. that we could bring in if we crap can Howie/Doug?

I would love to see Daniel Jeremiah brought in... but I think that's a pipe dream, because I doubt he'd give up his cushy job to do it.   (Although Mayock did, but I think that's because Mayock is still very much a competitor, and wanted that challenge.  I think Jeremiah is very contented with his limited hours and family life.   Its a great gig if you can get it!)

8 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Given that Sean Peyton/The Saints helped write the book on how to defend against Wentz (Or so they claim)....well....

11 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Uh, yeah, the post I quoted said that...

Wow. You are right.  I missed that.  He buried it at the end there, and I was only really scanning that and skipped right over that statement.   Take that statement out and I agree with everything else he said.  The defense is highly predictable.  But, the offense is just a disaster... the defense is merely a mess.

12 minutes ago, metal said:

The Bradberry signing was tremendous for the Giants. Also, he signed for less money (but slightly more guaranteed) than Slay, he's two years younger and they didn't give up two draft picks for him.

yuuuuppp.

36 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

As for 'throwing the entire offense off'... the OL struggles, failed blitz pickups, and the QB having to peel himself off the ground every 3rd play also throws the entire offense off.   That 4 play sequence illustrated perfectly the issues with this offense.   OL misses an assignment - that has nothing to do with Wentz.  WR and RB run into each other - Wentz' fault?   RB misses his blitz pickup - or the RT shifted outside, when he should have moved inside - Wentz' fault too, I suppose.    Then Wentz misses the crosser.     Its not Wentz causing the domino effect.   He's not stopping it, he's not fixing his own issues, but he's certainly not the only one struggling.    Is Wentz broken beyond repair?  I don't know.  .  Why does Reagor run into the RB?  Why does Mailata not know how to count?  Why do the RT and RB miss the blitzer?  Wentz isn't responsible for all those issues, is he?

These are all issues that should be addressed by the coaches this week, we are in agreement there. 

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Has anyone said that?   The defense needs to be upgraded.  The offense needs to be blown up.   Just degrees of ineptitude, I guess.   Worst part of the defense is that the players on defense that are worth building around due to their ability... are aging out of being foundational pieces.  Graham, Cox, Slay, even McLeod... they won't be good when this team is ready to really make a real push again.  So, the defense could need to be blow up entirely as well.  And I'd sell off any pieces that would bring a return back, to bring in more youth.    But, that only works with new execs pulling the strings in the war room, and new coaches working with them on the field, and likely a new scheme for them to fit into.

They legitimately have no foundation to build from on defense.  There isn't one young or nearing his prime player that you say can be the anchor of this defense on any of the 3 levels.  This team is at an all-time low.

You never want to go in to your first round draft pick with the thought that ANY position could use an upgrade. 

Surprisingly, I think the o-line injuries are going to help out in the long run.  I think Mailata is a star in the making no matter if he's at LT or RT.  Herbig can be an adequate starter in this league, just needs to work on his body.  Driscoll is getting live reps at T but I think he can be a starter at guard as well.  If Seumalo is the center of the future and Dillard proves to be a 1st worthy LT then they have their o-line.  Tega and Opeta can be your top reserves at T and G, bring in a late rounder/UDFA for depth.

2 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

These are all issues that should be addressed by the coaches this week, we are in agreement there. 

They are issues that should have been addressed by the coaches all season.  That's why they need to go.

16 minutes ago, Swoop said:

In my way, way too early Eagles mock draft I did the following. This was just because I was bored and in no way is it serious:

Screenshot_20201207-090918.jpg

I just made a post that included my thoughts on o-line.  While Sewell is a very very nice prospect, I think the Eagles could be set at tackle assuming that Dillard is healthy and can step in and play at a decent level next year.  Paired with Mailata, they could have their bookend tackles for the next decade.

Top 10 pick needs to be a stud playmaker to help whoever is playing quarterback or a foundation piece on defense.

it's not just wentz's bad play, it's the lack of leadership on this team. you just dont lose half of the leaders that were on that super bowl team that are down to nothing and expect to win a super bowl, i never heard of that. the lack of trades that howie wasnt doing and not replacing the leadership is what has hurt this team.

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

They legitimately have no foundation to build from on defense.  There isn't one young or nearing his prime player that you say can be the anchor of this defense on any of the 3 levels.  This team is at an all-time low.

You never want to go in to your first round draft pick with the thought that ANY position could use an upgrade. 

Surprisingly, I think the o-line injuries are going to help out in the long run.  I think Mailata is a star in the making no matter if he's at LT or RT.  Herbig can be an adequate starter in this league, just needs to work on his body.  Driscoll is getting live reps at T but I think he can be a starter at guard as well.  If Seumalo is the center of the future and Dillard proves to be a 1st worthy LT then they have their o-line.  Tega and Opeta can be your top reserves at T and G, bring in a late rounder/UDFA for depth.

Agreed.   That line would likely be serviceable.  But, if a stud LT is sitting there, I don't see how they can pass on it.  

But, I am deeply convinced that trading back is the way to go, as long as they don't move back too far.   They need so much.  If they can somehow manage to lose out... and end up at #4... that would likely offer them the opportunity to auction off that pick to a team desperate for a LT or desperate for a WR... whichever doesn't go at #3 - Sewell or Chase.  Move back to stay in the top 10... and take Waddle, Smith, Surtain or Parsons.  One of them is likely to be there at 10.  But even if they aren't and end up with Rousseau... I'd be ok with that.  The question is... get more picks for 2021 draft... or hold out for an extra 1 in 2022.  

20 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Well, start coaching like you do!

Does anyone expect him to say anything different?

47 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I have no idea how anyone could watch this offense and say defense is the bigger need. The defense is functional. The offense is approaching Bobby Hoying levels of ineptitude. 

Who would you draft on offense that would have the impact of Parsons or Surtain, who were my suggestions.   How can you watch the play of our back seven and call them "functional”?  For what the Eagles are paying for the front four, I would hope for more than functional.  Did you see a huge slip when Williams substituted at DT?  Heck 34 year old Vinny Curry may have played best at DE last night. 

26 minutes ago, Swoop said:

In my way, way too early Eagles mock draft I did the following. This was just because I was bored and in no way is it serious:

Screenshot_20201207-090918.jpg

Zero chance Sewell falls to 6. He'll go top 3 and we need a playmaker at WR

22 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

In all honesty, the best thing to do is make the decision internally but not announce. Make the Aints game plan for 2 different QBs

Yeah that will make the difference,  it will fix everything. LOL

9 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I just made a post that included my thoughts on o-line.  While Sewell is a very very nice prospect, I think the Eagles could be set at tackle assuming that Dillard is healthy and can step in and play at a decent level next year.  Paired with Mailata, they could have their bookend tackles for the next decade.

Top 10 pick needs to be a stud playmaker to help whoever is playing quarterback or a foundation piece on defense.

JaMarr Chase 

Apparently people missed the memo when I said it wasn't serious. Having said that, if Sewell is by some miracle at our pick you run to the podium. Playmakers are great and yes we need some, but having a bonafide stud at LT for the next 15 years is more important. F Dillard.

6 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

Does anyone expect him to say anything different?

nope.  He can't.  Because if he even hints that its accurate, he has to step down immediately.

2 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Who would you draft on offense that would have the impact of Parsons or Surtain, who were my suggestions.   How can you watch the play of our back seven and call them "functional”?  For what the Eagles are paying for the front four, I would hope for more than functional.  Did you see a huge slip when Williams substituted at DT?  Heck 34 year old Vinny Curry may have played best at DE last night. 

I am not in favor of drafting an off-ball LB at the top of the draft so I would probably attempt to trade down. But the point isn’t that you wanted Surtain over Chase, it’s the argument that D is a bigger need than O.

Needs: OT, C, G, WR, DE, LB, CB, S. 

We can use a lot, obviously. 

Just to be clear, they cant go back to Wentz now. They have to play Hurts. 

I have my doubts the results will be anything but marginal difference, with Hurts bailing out of the pocket faster and using his legs, which will produce some plays. But with Doug refusing to commit to the run, the bad oline play and WR's who take too long to uncover, and drop way too many catchable balls anyway, it wont make a big enough difference. 

The bigger issue is now trying to find a home for Wentz. 

Dont laugh now, but Dallas is a possibility. How would he do behind that Oline, with those Wr's and that run game? 

Seems like people are just throwing out any rumor they can think of for the past few weeks

Also Reagor still didn't look 4.22 fast. He stiff armed the punter and there was someone else that ran up to him

9 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

Bo Wulf brought up the idea in the BwF pod tonight that it might be worth it to trade Wentz if the Eagles do believe he's done, before his roster bonus kicks in, since it would be "only" 30m in dead money compared to 50m if cut.

Bo didn't say he was done, but I do agree with his take, which is essentially what else do you have to go on? If you explore Wentz's future going forward after this season, you can't just assume he will get back to an MVP level. There's nothing we've seen to suggest that is going to happen.

I didn't think there was any chance they'd trade him after the season, but Bo tried to argue that it might be possible if the Eagles do think his contract is going to be a disaster going forward, as is the player, and it's best to get out ASAP.

I keep seeing stuff like this. $33.8M dead cap to trade him. We'd have to give up picks for a team to take that on. Picks we desperately need

9 hours ago, hukdonfoniks said:

Wentz is so far down the list of what's going wrong with this team, it's a joke.

Offensive line dropping like flies left and right all year.  Howie's terrible drafting.  Howie's terrible contracts for players that don't contribute crap.  Terrible positional coaches (outside of Stoutland and Duce) that can't develop any of these players to save their lives.  Terrible positional coaches that shouldn't have been hired in the first place.  Doug's atrocious play calling.  Doug's atrocious offensive game planning. 

Howie has completely sunk this entire franchise.  He completely Ruben Amaro'd this team into the cellar.   Lurie sat back and let him do it. 

And somehow all that means we should get rid of one of the few actually talented players on this roster.  :lol:  Right.

They don't care about the other problems. They think we just need someone else at QB and we'll start winning games

Also I want Duce gone. He's in charge of the RB rotation and Sanders needs to be on the field more

10 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Not sure how legit that number is. 

I don't think that's legit. When Hill runs you can see the speed and how he just runs past everyone

9 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

They barely squeaked by awful teams who were tanking. It wasn't some great accomplishment.

Special QBs perform well even under adverse conditions. It's not like the Eagles are totally devoid of talent. Ertz, Goedert, Sanders, are all solid players and he did well with Ward last year.

He's missing throws, he's not reading defenses, he's not poised in the pocket.

Just name me one thing Wentz is doing well right now.

What special QB has had to deal with the mess that is the Eagles and performed well? I want to be clear that I'm not saying Wentz isn't a problem(seem to need this disclaimer when mentioning the other problems)

We barely use Sanders. Ertz was showing lack luster effort before his injury

8 hours ago, WentzFan11 said:

be true

Another rumor being just thrown around lol man this is a mess

7 hours ago, Saltpeter said:

https://overthecap.com/the-eagles-options-with-carson-wentz/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Not sure if that link's been cited here yet, but this is the OTC guy going over all possible Wentz options.

Says the Eagles could get a 3rd plus a conditional pick for Wentz this off-season. If a strong market somehow develops, who knows.

Jags only had to eat $18M for Foles. Wentz dead cap is $33M

10 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Doug is definitely not going to say who is starting until gameday

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I am not in favor of drafting an off-ball LB at the top of the draft so I would probably attempt to trade down. But the point isn’t that you wanted Surtain over Chase, it’s the argument that D is a bigger need than O.

Needs: OT, C, G, WR, DE, LB, CB, S. 

We can use a lot, obviously. 

Might need to include QB on that list...  I don't know that Wentz is fixable (definitely not by this coaching staff) and I never thought Hurts was a future franchise QB... unless maybe they decide to run the Baltimore Ravens' offense... which I would prefer they didn't.

56 minutes ago, metal said:

He has JJAW-level production but he's the third-highest paid player on the team. That's probably why he's on the field; his paycheck demands he play when he should simply be deactivated and told to stay home.

DeSean will take some snaps from Alshon once he’s back don’t worry. 

11 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Zero chance Sewell falls to 6. He'll go top 3 and we need a playmaker at WR

They're not going WR again in the first round.

They will wait to see how Reagor, Fulgham, Hightower and Watkins pan out before going WR in the first again.

But if someone they really like at WR falls to them in the 2nd or 3rd, they might snatch him.

Archived