EMB Blog: 2020 Regular Season

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

OT?   I think we are set there with Dillard and Mailata.  I still have hopes for Wanogho as a swing T after a year of learning/healing and Driscoll as a swing G/T and maybe even center with a real offseason with strength and training.  More depth at interior OL, a strength of the draft, so we both agree there.   Not a first round pick though.

Unless they grab Rousseau, who could be a one year wonder, DE is kind of bare next year. Not really high first worthy.  Parsons early or wait until the third for another developmental LB. Solid depth in the draft at CB but I think Surtain is likely the best around where the Eagles will be picking.  

Deep WR draft class.   Eagles have a lot of draft capital invested in WR already but all are still green. 

Depending on what Dallas does at QB, the Eagles may be in a prime spot to trade down a spot or two as QB needing teams are right below us.  

Unless there's a "can't miss" talent when you come up to draft, Eagles would be best suited to trade down and accumulate draft picks.

Not to win next year, but build the nucleus of a team that can compete in 2-3 years. Next year you go cheap in FA (SFA types) b/c you lack money and want to accumulate comp picks.

But with a rebuild OL, young WRs getting their legs under them with a full offseason, and a power back (maybe Howard or another veteran) to go with Sanders and Scott, you should have a solid offense - probably the biggest need is #2 TE if you trade Ertz. Rodgers is a #3 b/c he can't block to save his life.

The defense is where you need to get younger and faster, especially if you move on from Schwartz and get a DC who likes to attack with the back seven instead of sitting in soft zones.

• Replies 62.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "fun" part is going to be watching Hurts regress into a running QB in the however-many games he gets to play

Maybe it will take him a few more games because hes young and relatively mobile.  But he'll end up in the exact same situation as Wentz. 

6 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Teams without Franchise QB's are mediocre teams at best.

Teams with Franchise QB's are in the playoff hunt 75-80% of the years that QB plays. 

If you dont have a Franchise QB, you have nothing. We are back to having NOTHING! 

Oh my God nobody is arguing that.  What we are telling you is it is stupid to draft a quarterback in the top five if you don’t believe in the quarterback. If you think he’s going to be good then do it. But you don’t just take a QB in the top 5 because you need a quarterback if you think he sucks or is going to be a bust. And they might dislike fields, lance and the kid from byu

They say the BU QB is always the fan favorite.

If Wentz gets benched and is the BU will that apply to him?

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Unless there's a "can't miss" talent when you come up to draft, Eagles would be best suited to trade down and accumulate draft picks.

Not to win next year, but build the nucleus of a team that can compete in 2-3 years. Next year you go cheap in FA (SFA types) b/c you lack money and want to accumulate comp picks.

But with a rebuild OL, young WRs getting their legs under them with a full offseason, and a power back (maybe Howard or another veteran) to go with Sanders and Scott, you should have a solid offense - probably the biggest need is #2 TE if you trade Ertz. Rodgers is a #3 b/c he can't block to save his life.

The defense is where you need to get younger and faster, especially if you move on from Schwartz and get a DC who likes to attack with the back seven instead of sitting in soft zones.

What is the point of keeping Sanders assuming your 2-3 year rebuild? His rookie contract will have expired and you will have to pay a premium to retain him.

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

No Crap but your theory from the last page and a half was while were in the top five so we should take a quarterback. if you scout all the quarterbacks in this class and you say well fields, Lance and the BYU QB aren’t really that great and not in love with them you don’t just go ahead and draft one because you’re picking in the top five.

The Eagles when they moved up for Carson Wentz, they fell in love with him and that’s why they drafted him. Jeffrey lurie said in a press conference they weren’t going to take a quarterback or move up for one unless they were truly in love with the quarterback. It just so happens they loved everything about Carson Wentz. But if they did it they weren’t moving up to get one   

again you don’t have a quarterback you are no man’s land however that doesn’t mean you try to hit a square peg into a round hole and expect it just to be OK. You have to actually love the quarterback you are taking and believe in him. If you don’t it’s going to fail and now you just wasted a pick and failed 

Of course you have to like the QB you are taking. Thats a given. I'm telling you the reality, without a franchise QB you have nothing. How many times do you get a top 5 draft pick? 

When you dont have a franchise QB, you HAVE to make that your priority. This is supposedly a rich QB draft, YOU HAVE TO identify and go get your target. Making the team better before you have a franchise QB will only make it harder to get your franchise QB. 

Thats just the reality. 

3 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Teams without Franchise QB's are mediocre teams at best.

Teams with Franchise QB's are in the playoff hunt 75-80% of the years that QB plays. 

If you dont have a Franchise QB, you have nothing. We are back to having NOTHING! 

I have bad news for you; you need to study this year's QB prospects -- it's NOT a strong group.

Trevor Lawrence will go #1 to the Jets.  Watch Justin Fields' OSU tape back-to-back with Dwayne Haskins -- Haskins is CLEARLY the better passer in the same offense.

Zach Wilson from BYU is the 3rd rated prospect.  Even on his highlight videos his mechanics are AWFUL.  The throws flat-footed, or off of his back foot -- that doesn't translate to the NFL

Trey Lance is very intriguing, but very raw.  He has only one year of college experience, at the same school Wentz came out of.

I would rank the 2021 QB draft class as Lawrence, huge dropoff, Lance, Kyle Trask, big dropoff, Fields, Wilson.

Fortunately, Wentz will be the Eagles QB in 2021 and 2022, and hopefully beyond.  He needs a new coaching staff and new scheme on offense -- as do the rest of the players on offense.

10 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

You have already Killed Wentz's future here. He now has to go.  He will still turn out good, just now somewhere else. 

Until you get that next Franchise QB, you are building nothing.  A good team without a Franchise QB is just a mediocre team. Since the QB is the hardest piece to get, and the most important piece, you must keep trying to locate that piece, must never stop, until you have one. 

Franchise QBs need Olines and NFL starters to throw to

This team needs to do something about the injuries. 3 years is way too long to constantly deal with injuries

Kelce may retire. Brooks just had another season ending injury. Lane can't stay healthy. We really don't know who the future at LT is.

7 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

8d0e0d6.jpg

Lol I ran out of likes but this is funny and accurate

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Oh my God nobody is arguing that.  What we are telling you is it is stupid to draft a quarterback in the top five if you don’t believe in the quarterback. If you think he’s going to be good then do it. But you don’t just take a QB in the top 5 because you need a quarterback if you think he sucks or is going to be a bust. And they might dislike fields, lance and the kid from byu

What I am telling you is it wont matter what you do with any draft picks if you dont get your franchise QB. You will only build a mediocre at best team. My philosophy is simple, you have to identify and go get your franchise QB. If there are zero guys in the draft this year, then obviously you cant draft one. But if there is one guy, you must do what you need to to get THAT guy!

I don’t get bashing Hurts stats when it was his first game and is a rookie? Lol they are better stats than fake franchise Wentz at that? Lmao

Just now, Ipiggles said:

Of course you have to like the QB you are taking. Thats a given. I'm telling you the reality, without a franchise QB you have nothing. How many times do you get a top 5 draft pick? 

When you dont have a franchise QB, you HAVE to make that your priority. This is supposedly a rich QB draft, YOU HAVE TO identify and go get your target. Making the team better before you have a franchise QB will only make it harder to get your franchise QB. 

Thats just the reality. 

First you don’t identify anybody. You watch the tape and see who pops out at you and who you fall in love with when you watch the film. You don’t go into it saying hey I need a quarterback so I’m gonna fall in love with one of these quarterbacks. That’s another thing bad teams to is they talk themselves into quarterbacks that they’re lukewarm on but talk themselves into. 

Yes you make it a priority however you don’t over obsess about it to the point where you try to fit a square peg into a round hole like you seem to think they should do cause they are in the top five. If they scout all these quarterbacks after Trevor Lawrence and don’t love any of them I’m not gonna say go draft a quarterback  because you’re not often in the top five.

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Franchise QBs need Olines and NFL starters to throw to

This team needs to do something about the injuries. 3 years is way too long to constantly deal with injuries

Kelce may retire. Brooks just had another season ending injury. Lane can't stay healthy. We really don't know who the future at LT is.

Lol I ran out of likes but this is funny and accurate

This front office has been way to reliant on old oft injured players coming back to prime.  Guys like Alshon, JP, should have been gone years ago. Djax should have never been signed. 

ON top of that we have bad at drafting. 

JMATT over Devonta Adams

JJAW over Metcalf

Reagor over Jefferson

it's a bad combination. 

Time to clean house. 

14 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

OT?   I think we are set there with Dillard and Mailata.  I still have hopes for Wanogho as a swing T after a year of learning/healing and Driscoll as a swing G/T and maybe even center with a real offseason with strength and training.  More depth at interior OL, a strength of the draft, so we both agree there.   Not a first round pick though.

Unless they grab Rousseau, who could be a one year wonder, DE is kind of bare next year. Not really high first worthy.  Parsons early or wait until the third for another developmental LB. Solid depth in the draft at CB but I think Surtain is likely the best around where the Eagles will be picking.  

Deep WR draft class.   Eagles have a lot of draft capital invested in WR already but all are still green. 

Depending on what Dallas does at QB, the Eagles may be in a prime spot to trade down a spot or two as QB needing teams are right below us.  

Disagree. The only one guaranteed coming back is the first round pick. JJAW will be gone. Then you are left with Ward and Fulgham, two guys who cost you nothing. Hightower and Watkins are low round picks. 

1 minute ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

I don’t get bashing Hurts stats when it was his first game and is a rookie? Lol they are better stats than fake franchise Wentz at that? Lmao

Who is bashing him? I stated you cannot accurately judge any QB playing behind this oline throwing to these wr's while have a HC who refuses  to run the ball. 

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

First you don’t identify anybody. You watch the tape and see who pops out at you and who you fall in love with when you watch the film. You don’t go into it saying hey I need a quarterback so I’m gonna fall in love with one of these quarterbacks. That’s another thing bad teams to is they talk themselves into quarterbacks that they’re lukewarm on but talk themselves into. 

Yes you make it a priority however you don’t over obsess about it to the point where you try to fit a square peg into a round hole like you seem to think they should do cause they are in the top five. If they scout all these quarterbacks after Trevor Lawrence and don’t love any of them I’m not gonna say go draft a quarterback  because you’re not often in the top five.

You arent getting the concept, nothing you do will matter till you get your franchise qb. NOTHING. Like the years we wasted in the mid nineties. A crap load of wasted years. 

We agree to dissagree. 

I'm done with this convo. 

2 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

What I am telling you is it wont matter what you do with any draft picks if you dont get your franchise QB. You will only build a mediocre at best team. My philosophy is simple, you have to identify and go get your franchise QB. If there are zero guys in the draft this year, then obviously you cant draft one. But if there is one guy, you must do what you need to to get THAT guy!

Nobody is arguing against that whoever your first initial argument was we’re on the top five so we should go out and draft a quarterback as a top priority because you’re not in the top five very often. That is a bad philosophy. 

And right you have to identify that. Wonder why the Chiefs are so good they built up their roster and when Andy Reid saw a player he really liked he moved heaven and earth to go get him. Not only that you can identify a quarterback you like like the Jets. They loved Sam Darnold. How’s that working out for them right now with the roster not built up properly? Not very good. So saying you can’t build up your roster before getting your QB that’s not always true. Sometimes the guy falls into your lap when you’re in the top five and your roster sucks and sometimes your roster is built up and you find a way to get the guy you love.

9 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I have bad news for you; you need to study this year's QB prospects -- it's NOT a strong group.

Trevor Lawrence will go #1 to the Jets.  Watch Justin Fields' OSU tape back-to-back with Dwayne Haskins -- Haskins is CLEARLY the better passer in the same offense.

Zach Wilson from BYU is the 3rd rated prospect.  Even on his highlight videos his mechanics are AWFUL.  The throws flat-footed, or off of his back foot -- that doesn't translate to the NFL

Trey Lance is very intriguing, but very raw.  He has only one year of college experience, at the same school Wentz came out of.

I would rank the 2021 QB draft class as Lawrence, huge dropoff, Lance, Kyle Trask, big dropoff, Fields, Wilson.

Fortunately, Wentz will be the Eagles QB in 2021 and 2022, and hopefully beyond.  He needs a new coaching staff and new scheme on offense -- as do the rest of the players on offense.

If the team gave up on Wentz, which happened yesterday. Then you have to try and find the next guy. 

The QB situation is tricky.  If they bench Wentz, which is justifiable, he may have a mental problem going forward.  That meant he has to be traded, which would be hard with his rich contract.  If they still want to play him as #1, they must handle it carefully.  Judging from his remarks after yesterday game, he was in the retreating mood and expecting some down time.  Let Hurts play next game and maybe more if he performs.  Both will compete for the starting job next pre-season.

Re the FO, Lurie has a history of holding on his guys.  Howie, for all his issues, may not get canned right away.  Lurie may kick him to a role without the drafting power, eg, cap and contracts.  Strengthen the scout department and insert someone to do the drafting. 

Just now, Ipiggles said:

You arent getting the concept, nothing you do will matter till you get your franchise qb. NOTHING. Like the years we wasted in the mid nineties. A crap load of wasted years. 

We agree to dissagree. 

I'm done with this convo. 

You’ll do nothing if you keep drafting the wrong quarterback in the top five cause you evaluated poorly and talked yourself into a QB cause you were desperate for a QB. So what’s your point. We will do nothing without a franchise quarterback and we will do nothing drafting the wrong quarterback year after year. So we’re in the same situation either way

I understand you need a franchise quarterback in this league to win however it does not justify  not building up your team in favor of drafting a qb in the top five cause you are desperate for a franchise QB that your evaluations show isn’t there.  

Just now, Ipiggles said:

If the team gave up on Wentz, which happened yesterday. Then you have to try and find the next guy. 

No, they didn't.  The game was 20-3 and over the past three games the offensive output at halftime was 3 points, zero points, and 3 points.  Doug tried to give the offense a spark.

The Chickens laying their egg against the Giants yesterday actually did the Eagles a HUGE favor.  Now the Eagles can finish this season with 2021 in mind; no Eagles fan will bash the organization for beginning that planning, now that the division is all but lost.

I don't mind Hurts playing if it means he is a better #2 QB for 2021.  Get him some game action down the stretch if it makes him better prepared to step in when needed in the future (2021 and beyond).  Hopefully by the summer the COVID vaccine will be in the general population and next season can progress as normal -- meaning a full offseason with OTA, training camp, and exhibition schedule.  No one should doubt that with a new coaching staff and full offseason program that Wentz is still the presumed #1 QB in training camp.

3 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

The QB situation is tricky.  If they bench Wentz, which is justifiable, he may have a mental problem going forward.  That meant he has to be traded, which would be hard with his rich contract.  If they still want to play him as #1, they must handle it carefully.  Judging from his remarks after yesterday game, he was in the retreating mood and expecting some down time.  Let Hurts play next game and maybe more if he performs.  Both will compete for the starting job next pre-season.

Re the FO, Lurie has a history of holding on his guys.  Howie, for all his issues, may not get canned right away.  Lurie may kick him to a role without the drafting power, eg, cap and contracts.  Strengthen the scout department and insert someone to do the drafting. 

I think that option should be completely off the table. You either move Wentz in the offseason or he is the starter. You aren't going to have a 30M backup next year, you are going to hurt his trade value by admitting Hurts beat him out in a competition, and then you are going to have to attempt to move him at the worst possible time of the year, right before the start of the season when teams all mostly have their guys who spent months learning the offense. 

12 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Wentz is David Carr, fake franchise 

You obviously know nothing about football. I'm not joking or being sarcastic. If your take away of David Carr's career is that he was "fake franchise" they you are absolutely clueless or immensely dense or obtuse beyond reason.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Please no round 2 RBs with all the holes we have on the team. We’re blowing it up, don’t waste a resource on RB in a rebuild. 

I can get behind that logic... but I see Najee Harris in the Derrick Henry mold.   But, that's fair enough.   I can satisfy myself with Kylin Hill later.   But, either way, I want a back with some power.

58 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I really don’t think that offense is sustainable to winning a Super Bowl. You can have success regular season but i think playoffs is where it catches up to you. You have to have a quarterback if you’re running that type of offense that is good enough as a passer as he is a runner to have the success you want to have to win a Super Bowl.

Nor do I, which is why I never saw Hurts as a future franchise QB.

Archived