EMB Blog: 2020 Regular Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 62.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idk if that was the benching we've been waiting for the last 2 months, but it seemed to be something at least. I don't think they should start hurts against the saints though, we're not gonna score more than 10 no matter who the QB is, the saints d has been playing possessed the last few weeks. Wentz is already broken, no need to break the backup too.

2 minutes ago, devpool said:

Idk if that was the benching we've been waiting for the last 2 months, but it seemed to be something at least. I don't think they should start hurts against the saints though, we're not gonna score more than 10 no matter who the QB is, the saints d has been playing possessed the last few weeks. Wentz is already broken, no need to break the backup too.

I can understand that point but then wouldn't it be good to see what Hurts can do against a legit good NFL defense? If he flashes and shows something then there is real reason for hope. If he doesn't then it isn't unexpected.

5 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

At least we found out thar Reagor actually is pretty fast.

Seemed more deceptively fast than anything.  He didn't seem to be going that fast, but he wasn't losing ground and seemed to be outrunning some of the players that I thought might have had the angle on him.   Did a decent job with the rope-a-dope on the punter too.

31 minutes ago, mayanh8 said:

Of course Wentz is the focus. He's making $30M a year as your franchise QB and best player to not only NOT screw up every play but have a net positive effect on the offense. 

This notion that we should be equally upset over the mistakes of a rookie WR and backup OL is mind boggling. 

This.  Exactly.

So Wentz was 6 of 15  40%

Hurts was 5 of 12   41%

Wentz ran for 6 YPC Hurts for 5.8 YPC

Not much to chose from there is there?

Just now, Asg 15 said:

So Wentz was 6 of 15  40%

Hurts was 5 of 12   41%

Wentz ran for 6 YPC Hurts for 5.8 YPC

Not much to chose from there is there?

Box score scouting ain’t it. 

The injury didn’t change Wentz inability to process information quickly on the field...it just took away his ability to hide it.

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

LOL. 

Maybe they are just trying to keep up with the Jets.  I mean... nobody can tank like the Jets... but the Chargers might be trying.

7 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I take back my mild defense of Williams here. I had no idea he kept back one rusher to spy Carr. 

I kinda suggested this late last night. It looked fishy🤷‍♂️

20 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You clearly didn't understand the focus of my ire.  Or, you assumed what I wrote, rather than read it.  

Wentz wasn't absolved.  Wentz has his share of it.  But, the coaches, collectively, are not getting these guys ready to do their job.  Not the OL (Mailata), not the WR (Reagor), not the RB (Scott), and not the QB (Wentz).   Which puts a target squarely on the backs of: Stoutland, Moorehead, Duce and Taylor... and when its that wide spread, it goes to the HC (Doug).   And if its talent, not coaching, then the target moves up one more level to Howie.

I have been very clear... it's time to clean house.  You can't get rid of all the players, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that Howie painted the franchise into a corner.  So, you get rid of everyone else and you see what new voices and new ideas can bring to the same old ingredients.  

The coaching obviously shares the responsibility. 

But when you have a QB that has performed among the bottom 3 of all starting NFL QB's, one of the main issues is that it throws the entire offense off...that includes timing, assignments, etc etc

Then add the fact that the coaches have been changing plays up all season in an attempt to cater them to Wentz' strengths, well, there you have it.

You realize that there is next to zero chance had Wentz been playing well all season that this offense would be making these same mistakes, right?

It's not a coincidence that this offense looked like a well tuned machine for all of 2017, most of 2018 (When Foles took over and played well) and in 2019 after Wentz started playing well. 

The way this offense "looks" is directly correlated to QB play.  The better the QB plays, the better the offense looks.  Offensive line play would be the 2nd most important aspect, followed by the receivers, then running backs. 

So of course I will always focus on QB play, first and foremost.

11 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

This.  Exactly.

See my response to him.  If it's everybody, then it's everybody.  I'm not hiding my displeasure with Wentz' performances.  He's been bad.  But, are there ever 3 guys out there with him that haven't had their own share of mind numbing screw ups?   And when a team is so full of mental errors, it means that the coaches aren't getting through to them in practice. 

Doug seems checked out... case in point.  Right before the half, roughly the 45 yard line... he has 2 timeouts in his pocket, but he lets the clock run down to zero, rather than call a timeout and chuck a Hail Mary to end the half.   You are telling me that he's in tune with what is happening out there?  Nah... he seemed to be relieved that halftime had finally come to save him from calling more plays.   There's no excuse for him not to take advantage of that opportunity, especially as he had just gotten a TD on a desperation Hail Mary last week.  You never know... it might work.  Doug lost any and all chance for me to come around on him right there.  He might be burned out... he's taken on a lot this year with all the stupid coaching moves, but it's clear as day that he's not dialed in.  This might be a Dick Vermiel 2.0 situation.  Who knows?  But one thing I do know... there's not a coach worth his salt that doesn't throw the Hail Mary there.  There's nothing to lose and a potential TD or even a DPI to gain.   But, he tucked his tail and went into halftime.  What happened to "Fearless"? 

61Vq0WGvQzL.jpg

As much as I wanted a scenario like the McNabb benching in 08, it's just way too late now and even still wasn't done properly. IIRC McNabb had a bad game and a half (bengals tie+first half of the following game) and was benched at halftime of the next game. Wentz has been bad most of the season, and was finally benched in what the 4th quarter of a blowout? That doesn't send the message it needs to send, it can't anymore.

This should have been done weeks ago, preferably at halftime of the giants game after the bye week. Come out of a bye playing like ish, you won't be playing in the second half. But what's done is done, and now they'll probably go back to wentz the rest of the season just to avoid the QB controversy 

37 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Still sixth. 

The rest of these games are crucial.  Especially that Cowboys game.  I’m more nervous now with Hurts running around all over that they could win against these bad teams.  Should not be allowed to happen.

40 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Seemed more deceptively fast than anything.  He didn't seem to be going that fast, but he wasn't losing ground and seemed to be outrunning some of the players that I thought might have had the angle on him.   Did a decent job with the rope-a-dope on the punter too.

That's my thought.  I actually thought he looked slow and lumbering but like you said, guys weren't catching him.  Weird to say the least.

2 minutes ago, John_C said:

The rest of these games are crucial.  Especially that Cowboys game.  I’m more nervous now with Hurts running around all over that they could win against these bad teams.  Should not be allowed to happen.

1-3 record down the stretch, with Hurts looking good, is not a bad outcome. That's still likely to pick in the top 7.

Article is spot on.  Many recognized the Hurts pick for what it was right when it was made.  The most indefensible selection made in recent history.  What is playing out now was always the most likely result.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-carson-wentz-jalen-hurts-howie-roseman-doug-pederson-20201206.html

They did this to our team, with insane reasoning that demands to be corrected prior to any further personnel decisions and ESPECIALLY any future draft decisions.  

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

That's my thought.  I actually thought he looked slow and lumbering but like you said, guys weren't catching him.  Weird to say the least.

I think the field slowed everyone down. Players were slipping quite a bit. 

Observations from the game.

Mailata is getting much better in the run game with Isaac back. That hold on Seumalo on the Scott run didn’t happen. Kelce is awesome in the run game.  Peters toe must be impacting his game because Herbig looked much better at RG.  Driscoll was getting killed on the bull rush. Can we transplant Pryor’s junk in the trunk to him? Boy needs some strength training in the offseason just like Dillard needed last year.  The Eagles can run left.  The right side, not so much.  

Goedert was the number 1 TE today and Ertz did better as the number 2.  Fulgham had a case of the drops which I blame on Jeffery getting his snaps. Jeffery is washed.  He is slow and cannot jump.  Start Fulgham at X.  Bring in Keith "Dubb” Williams as Moorehead’s WR assistant. He is responsible (with the receiver, himself) for Greg Ward being the best WR on the team. 

Let the RBs run.  Drop Corey and elevate Howard.  Do a two year deal with him on cheap. 

So Press is calling plays, the passing game coordinator and responsible for coaching the QBs. Carson’s mechanics have gone to hell in a hand basket and has a case of the yips.  Hurts replaced him as the same one look and run QB he was in college.  Maybe it is time to move on from Press and hire a real QB coach.  Hire a real OC too that Doug can coordinate his WCO with.  Doug is not AR with his binder.  While Press may have a binder, it has only been good for one play, the Philly Special.  And for the football gods sake (greend again bringing religion to,the Blog) fire Marty and let our RBs run. The slow development and then set that allows the D to have adjusted makes it like the Eagles are playing checkers and the opposition is playing chess  the hurry up worked a bit  

Yes, nice to see the Hurts snaps. Some good, some bad.  At this point, his running twitch helped given the right side of the OL issues and his running ability held the D (with film, won’t happen twice). Really did not outplay Wentz.  His accuracy and leading WRs on his few completions made it seem that way. 

I am soooooooo tired of the wide 9.  Yes, it can set the edge against the run and collapse the pocket but it is vanilla.  Soooooo predictable.  That’s the problem   No scheme   Rarely a stunt   Guess the pass defense and you are off to the races   

Singleton is almost a good LB and when he misplays he stays after the play.  But this team really needs LB talent.  If we don’t get Surtain in the first, I would be okay with Parsons as long as I get at least Samuel in the second.  Maddox was absolutely picked on by Rodgers.  No need to sacrifice Slay.  Adams and Metcalf have owned him in two consecutive weeks but I suspect the leg is part of the reason   The other is their size.  Eagles need to draft secondary next year and they need to hit bullseyes   Forget Chase.  D is a bigger need  

A couple positive notes   Mailata looks good.  Really doing much better on runs.  On defense, Williams looks like a decent rotational DT to replace Ridgeway   

5 minutes ago, RLC said:

1-3 record down the stretch, with Hurts looking good, is not a bad outcome. That's still likely to pick in the top 7.

I want that 4th overall pick in each round.  Or at least the 5th.  We are in a desperate situation and need difference makers.  Wins for this group are completely meaningless and only hurt our position.  A new regime needs all of th resources possible to begin this rebuild.  Also, the owner needs a clear mandate for change across the board.

late season wins that lead to any incorrect conclusions and ultimately bad decisions could lead us down a path where the team continues to flounder for years.  None of us want that.

2 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Observations from the game.

Mailata is getting much better in the run game with Isaac back. That hold on Seumalo on the Scott run didn’t happen. Kelce is awesome in the run game.  Peters toe must be impacting his game because Herbig looked much better at RG.  Driscoll was getting killed on the bull rush. Can we transplant Pryor’s junk in the trunk to him? Boy needs some strength training in the offseason just like Dillard needed last year.  The Eagles can run left.  The right side, not so much.  

Goedert was the number 1 TE today and Ertz did better as the number 2.  Fulgham had a case of the drops which I blame on Jeffery getting his snaps. Jeffery is washed.  He is slow and cannot jump.  Start Fulgham at X.  Bring in Keith "Dubb” Williams as Moorehead’s WR assistant. He is responsible (with the receiver, himself) for Greg Ward being the best WR on the team. 

Let the RBs run.  Drop Corey and elevate Howard.  Do a two year deal with him on cheap. 

So Press is calling plays, the passing game coordinator and responsible for coaching the QBs. Carson’s mechanics have gone to hell in a hand basket and has a case of the yips.  Hurts replaced him as the same one look and run QB he was in college.  Maybe it is time to move on from Press and hire a real QB coach.  Hire a real OC too that Doug can coordinate his WCO with.  Doug is not AR with his binder.  While Press may have a binder, it has only been good for one play, the Philly Special.  And for the football gods sake (greend again bringing religion to,the Blog) fire Marty and let our RBs run. The slow development and then set that allows the D to have adjusted makes it like the Eagles are playing checkers and the opposition is playing chess  the hurry up worked a bit  

Yes, nice to see the Hurts snaps. Some good, some bad.  At this point, his running twitch helped given the right side of the OL issues and his running ability held the D (with film, won’t happen twice). Really did not outplay Wentz.  His accuracy and leading WRs on his few completions made it seem that way. 

I am soooooooo tired of the wide 9.  Yes, it can set the edge against the run and collapse the pocket but it is vanilla.  Soooooo predictable.  That’s the problem   No scheme   Rarely a stunt   Guess the pass defense and you are off to the races   

Singleton is almost a good LB and when he misplays he stays after the play.  But this team really needs LB talent.  If we don’t get Surtain in the first, I would be okay with Parsons as long as I get at least Samuel in the second.  Maddox was absolutely picked on by Rodgers.  No need to sacrifice Slay.  Adams and Metcalf have owned him in two consecutive weeks but I suspect the leg is part of the reason   The other is their size.  Eagles need to draft secondary next year and they need to hit bullseyes   Forget Chase.  D is a bigger need  

A couple positive notes   Mailata looks good.  Really doing much better on runs.  On defense, Williams looks like a decent rotational DT to replace Ridgeway   

I have no idea how anyone could watch this offense and say defense is the bigger need. The defense is functional. The offense is approaching Bobby Hoying levels of ineptitude. 

4 minutes ago, John_C said:

I want that 4th overall pick in each round.  Or at least the 5th.  We are in a desperate situation and need difference makers.  Wins for this group are completely meaningless and only hurt our position.  A new regime needs all of th resources possible to begin this rebuild.  Also, the owner needs a clear mandate for change across the board.

late season wins that lead to any incorrect conclusions and ultimately bad decisions could lead us down a path where the team continues to flounder for years.  None of us want that.

I want that too, but the difference between picking 5th or 7th is honestly not that big. Besides, a 4-11-1 record will absolutely be a clear mandate for change. We're going to end the season L-L-W-L. I have a feeling we beat the Cowboys given their OL issues. Our DL will tee-off. 

Archived