EMB Blog: 2020 Regular Season

Connecticut Eagle

31 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

See my response to him.  If it's everybody, then it's everybody.  I'm not hiding my displeasure with Wentz' performances.  He's been bad.  But, are there ever 3 guys out there with him that haven't had their own share of mind numbing screw ups?   And when a team is so full of mental errors, it means that the coaches aren't getting through to them in practice. 

Doug seems checked out... case in point.  Right before the half, roughly the 45 yard line... he has 2 timeouts in his pocket, but he lets the clock run down to zero, rather than call a timeout and chuck a Hail Mary to end the half.   You are telling me that he's in tune with what is happening out there?  Nah... he seemed to be relieved that halftime had finally come to save him from calling more plays.   There's no excuse for him not to take advantage of that opportunity, especially as he had just gotten a TD on a desperation Hail Mary last week.  You never know... it might work.  Doug lost any and all chance for me to come around on him right there.  He might be burned out... he's taken on a lot this year with all the stupid coaching moves, but it's clear as day that he's not dialed in.  This might be a Dick Vermiel 2.0 situation.  Who knows?  But one thing I do know... there's not a coach worth his salt that doesn't throw the Hail Mary there.  There's nothing to lose and a potential TD or even a DPI to gain.   But, he tucked his tail and went into halftime.  What happened to "Fearless"? 

61Vq0WGvQzL.jpg

That non call of a timeout was mind boggling. But so is a lot of stuff he does. 

• Replies 62.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alshon getting any snaps is laughable. He has no future here. I'm not sure the coach even knows why he is on the field when you consider his answer to the question about why Alshon is playing over Fulgham

Just now, metal said:

Alshon getting any snaps is laughable. He has no future here. I'm not sure the coach even knows why he is on the field when you consider his answer to the question about why Alshon is playing over Fulgham

That to me is just such a damning indictment for this team and shows what a mess this whole thing is. Why is he out there? Who thinks that's a good idea? Why is there a short term view on so many player selections when this team is so far away from being a legit contender? And on top of that, Alshon isn't even adding any value anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

The coaching obviously shares the responsibility. 

But when you have a QB that has performed among the bottom 3 of all starting NFL QB's, one of the main issues is that it throws the entire offense off...that includes timing, assignments, etc etc

Then add the fact that the coaches have been changing plays up all season in an attempt to cater them to Wentz' strengths, well, there you have it.

You realize that there is next to zero chance had Wentz been playing well all season that this offense would be making these same mistakes, right?

It's not a coincidence that this offense looked like a well tuned machine for all of 2017, most of 2018 (When Foles took over and played well) and in 2019 after Wentz started playing well. 

The way this offense "looks" is directly correlated to QB play.  The better the QB plays, the better the offense looks.  Offensive line play would be the 2nd most important aspect, followed by the receivers, then running backs. 

So of course I will always focus on QB play, first and foremost.

They have catered to Wentz' strengths all year?   So, they've been calling roll outs and getting him outside the pocket each game?   They've been sticking to an uptempo pace? 

As for 'throwing the entire offense off'... the OL struggles, failed blitz pickups, and the QB having to peel himself off the ground every 3rd play also throws the entire offense off.   That 4 play sequence illustrated perfectly the issues with this offense.   OL misses an assignment - that has nothing to do with Wentz.  WR and RB run into each other - Wentz' fault?   RB misses his blitz pickup - or the RT shifted outside, when he should have moved inside - Wentz' fault too, I suppose.    Then Wentz misses the crosser.     Its not Wentz causing the domino effect.   He's not stopping it, he's not fixing his own issues, but he's certainly not the only one struggling.  This is a system failure, all components are broken in some way.  When that happens, you strip it down and reassemble it.  Some parts will be tossed aside, and some parts will work better if their neighbors are in better working order.  Is Wentz broken beyond repair?  I don't know.  But, I do know that the current repairman can't figure out the issue, and he seems to also be baffled by the other issues... so what we need is a new repairman.  Why does Reagor run into the RB?  Why does Mailata not know how to count?  Why do the RT and RB miss the blitzer?  Wentz isn't responsible for all those issues, is he?

2 minutes ago, metal said:

Yup if Wentz can be benched then no one should be safe.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That to me is just such a damning indictment for this team and shows what a mess this whole thing is. Why is he out there? Who thinks that's a good idea? Why is there a short term view on so many player selections when this team is so far away from being a legit contender? And on top of that, Alshon isn't even adding any value anyway. 

He has JJAW-level production but he's the third-highest paid player on the team. That's probably why he's on the field; his paycheck demands he play when he should simply be deactivated and told to stay home.

Just now, metal said:

He has JJAW-level production but he's the third-highest paid player on the team. That's probably why he's on the field; his paycheck demands he play when he should simply be deactivated and told to stay home.

I mean I can't believe I'm saying this but I think at this point there's more reason to have JJAW taking those snaps than Alshon. 

18 minutes ago, John_C said:

Article is spot on.  Many recognized the Hurts pick for what it was right when it was made.  The most indefensible selection made in recent history.  What is playing out now was always the most likely result.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-carson-wentz-jalen-hurts-howie-roseman-doug-pederson-20201206.html

They did this to our team, with insane reasoning that demands to be corrected prior to any further personnel decisions and ESPECIALLY any future draft decisions.  

... by everyone clearing out their offices and putting new butts in those seats.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean I can't believe I'm saying this but I think at this point there's more reason to have JJAW taking those snaps than Alshon. 

If for no other reason than maybe, just maybe he can showcase something for a trade in the offseason. He has no future here either and should be released in the offseason with Alshon, Desean and Marquise Goodwin.

Clearly, there is a lot more than meets the eye going on at the Novacare and part of me wonders if Pederson decided he was off a while ago for various reasons (as rumoured), and he is just poisoning Howie's well to get him out of the Eagles too.   Clearly, someone in the Novacare is quietly leaking stuff to their contacts in the media and for the last 2 weeks, it's been all over the game broadcasts. 

When Merrill Reese is negative, you know something is badly wrong.

20 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I think the field slowed everyone down. Players were slipping quite a bit. 

That could be as well.   Lambeau isn't exactly known as a fast track.

1 minute ago, metal said:

If for no other reason than maybe, just maybe he can showcase something for a trade in the offseason. He has no future here either and should be released in the offseason with Alshon, Desean and Marquise Goodwin.

I mean I don't think he has a future but at least give him those Alshon snaps the rest of the way. I doubt he shows anything but hey he has more chance of being here next year than Alshon. 

4 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Theres a lot of "doug stepping down at the end of the year" stuff floating around on Twitter

As long as Howie goes with him i'm good with it.

20 minutes ago, John_C said:

I want that 4th overall pick in each round.  Or at least the 5th.  We are in a desperate situation and need difference makers.  Wins for this group are completely meaningless and only hurt our position.  A new regime needs all of th resources possible to begin this rebuild.  Also, the owner needs a clear mandate for change across the board.

late season wins that lead to any incorrect conclusions and ultimately bad decisions could lead us down a path where the team continues to flounder for years.  None of us want that.

The really big issue to me isn't the first round pick.  At #4, #7, #10... there will be a difference maker there for this team to grab (they had better)... but what scares me is pick #36/40/45... Do we have anyone capable of making good use of that pick?   Or what about pick #68/72/75?  The history of this team and 2nd/3rd round picks (even late 1st) is just not good, which is why we suck.   And then there's the picks in Rounds 5-7 (no 4th round pick, right now due to trades).  Can we hit on some gems late... it would be a nice change of pace.

This is the type of stat line you expect and pay Slay to give up against some of these better receivers. Not locking them down by any means, but not allowing them to blow games open like we’ve seen the past two weeks. 

12 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You can say the same thing about Genard Avery.  You would think the Eagles know they are going to have a top 5-7 pick this year.  That means our very high 4th rounder that the Browns now own is just sitting inactive for Vinny Curry.  Sure, Curry made a nice play today but he has no future here.  There's a very realistic possibility that Avery isn't either and the Browns will have a player that should have been an Eagles pick.

Every. Single. Week.  The roster management is just baffling. 

20 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I have no idea how anyone could watch this offense and say defense is the bigger need. The defense is functional. The offense is approaching Bobby Hoying levels of ineptitude. 

Has anyone said that?   The defense needs to be upgraded.  The offense needs to be blown up.   Just degrees of ineptitude, I guess.   Worst part of the defense is that the players on defense that are worth building around due to their ability... are aging out of being foundational pieces.  Graham, Cox, Slay, even McLeod... they won't be good when this team is ready to really make a real push again.  So, the defense could need to be blow up entirely as well.  And I'd sell off any pieces that would bring a return back, to bring in more youth.    But, that only works with new execs pulling the strings in the war room, and new coaches working with them on the field, and likely a new scheme for them to fit into.

2 minutes ago, greend said:

Who's a decent G.M. that we could bring in if we crap can Howie/Doug?

I want Dimitroff

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

You can say the same thing about Genard Avery.  You would think the Eagles know they are going to have a top 5-7 pick this year.  That means our very high 4th rounder that the Browns now own is just sitting inactive for Vinny Curry.  Sure, Curry made a nice play today but he has no future here.  There's a very realistic possibility that Avery isn't either and the Browns will have a player that should have been an Eagles pick.

Every. Single. Week.  The roster management is just baffling. 

Oh I agree with you! Its egregious that Avery is sat not getting any time when Curry is. Same with JP getting snaps instead of the young guys like Herbig or even Opeta.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Has anyone said that?   The defense needs to be upgraded.  The offense needs to be blown up.   Just degrees of ineptitude, I guess.   Worst part of the defense is that the players on defense that are worth building around due to their ability... are aging out of being foundational pieces.  Graham, Cox, Slay, even McLeod... they won't be good when this team is ready to really make a real push again.  So, the defense could need to be blow up entirely as well.  And I'd sell off any pieces that would bring a return back, to bring in more youth.    But, that only works with new execs pulling the strings in the war room, and new coaches working with them on the field, and likely a new scheme for them to fit into.

Uh, yeah, the post I quoted said that...

1 minute ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

This is the type of stat line you expect and pay Slay to give up against some of these better receivers. Not locking them down by any means, but not allowing them to blow games open like we’ve seen the past two weeks. 

The Bradberry signing was tremendous for the Giants. Also, he signed for less money (but slightly more guaranteed) than Slay, he's two years younger and they didn't give up two draft picks for him.

In my way, way too early Eagles mock draft I did the following. This was just because I was bored and in no way is it serious:

Screenshot_20201207-090918.jpg

Archived