EMB Blog: 2020 Regular Season

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

For the Eagles to draft a LT in the 1st they'd have to admit they made a mistake with Dillard

There's no way this FO will admit this.

Now if Lurie cleans house and we get a new FO all bets are off.

There was a bunch of smoke and fire around that during the draft time. I don’t necessarily think that was just noise. I don’t think they traded him because they didn’t get an offer where they were willing to part with his potential. However I do think if somebody offered them what they were looking for he might have been gone

• Replies 62.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

For the Eagles to draft a LT in the 1st they'd have to admit they made a mistake with Dillard

There's no way this FO will admit this.

Now if Lurie cleans house and we get a new FO all bets are off.

There is no other way forward. If Howie and/or Doug return, this will just cycle around and around until it is swept clean.

10 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Closer to 4.3 speed but I understand your point.  I recorded the game and I've watched the punt return several times.  When he hit the sideline, his straight speed burst for about 15-20 yards was absolutely, without question an elite speed burst.  He slowed down when he neared the 20 or so in order to dodge tackles but the speed was there when he had daylight. 

Yup, thats what I saw too. He wasn't just running straight line speed. You can see his burst around the 50 to the 30, slows down and stutter steps, and then the burst again around the 10.

20 minutes ago, Rhinoddd50 said:

If Jeff Lurie doesn’t fire Howie at the conclusion of this season, and bring in a new FO, I am not sure it will really matter what is ultimately decided about the HC, Coaching staff, QB, or the rest of the roster.

Awesome to see you here Rhino.  Outstanding post, I could not agree more with all of it.  Highlighting the conclusion which is spot on.

10 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Thanks.

@Iggles_Phan

Watch when he turns the corner.  When he hits the Eagles 45 yard-line to the Packers 40 or so.  Tell me that doesn't look like someone hitting the "speed burst" button on Madden.  :lol:

Oh and the fumble and the recovery was reminiscent of the DJax recovery on the punt return during the Miracle in the Meadowlansds II.

8 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I said he looked like he was lumbering which he did.  It's merely stating an observation of a guy who is touted for his speed.  If you watch that PR, you can't tell me he looked fast.  I wasn't complaining about it, I gave him credit for making some plays.  Clearly, he was faster than everyone on the field during the PR as no one caught him or could get an angle.  He just didn't look fast in doing so.  

I don't see anything close to lumbering. 

42 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I might start Hurts the rest of the season (of course, that means Pederson is doing right by the team, not himself), b/c why get Wentz beat up when Hurts can get needed game experience. Next year will be a clean slate with a new HC.

But Hurts isn't ready to start in the NFL, and that will become apparent, GB showed once you spied him and took away the scrambles, he had trouble making quick reads.

That's his whole game.  Use his legs and strike on broken plays.  If he has to play 4 quarters from the pocket, everyone will be clamoring for Wentz.

Give the Wentz truthers what they want let him go 3 and out vs the Saints all game and secure us the top 5 pick, Hurts will beat him in camp.

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

How long before Jamon Brown trashes the Eagles via social media?  

Does skip bayless have him lined up for the show on FS1 tomorrow?

Just now, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Give the Wentz truthers what they want let him go 3 and out vs the Saints all game and secure us the top 5 pick, Hurts will beat him in camp.

Just to let you know if you think any of our quarterbacks or offense is gonna play well against the Saints defense is pretty amazing. They’ve given up 8.8 points per game over the last five games. Tom Brady scored 3 points with a much better offense in the Eagles have. The Falcons who have a better offense than the Eagles have scored 9 and 16 points. So if you believe that the Eagles offense is going to look good against the best defense in the NFL for over two months now (13 ppg since their bye 8 weeks ago) that’s laughable

Dude couldn’t score vs the Browns or Packers lol

Myles Garrett didn’t even play 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Just to let you know if you think any of our quarterbacks or offense is gonna play well against the Saints defense is pretty amazing. They’ve given up 8.8 points per game over the last five games. Tom Brady scored 3 points with a much better offense in the Eagles have. The Falcons who have a better offense than the Eagles have scored 9 and 16 points. So if you believe that the Eagles offense is going to look good against the best defense in the NFL for over two months now (13 ppg since their bye 8 weeks ago) that’s laughable

And the Saints are a game up for the 1 seed in the NFC.  Dennis Allen is gonna bring it and maybe ruin Jalen Hurts in one game.

13 minutes ago, Rhinoddd50 said:

I was (and always will be) a huge fan of Andy Reid.   However, I knew in early 2012 the day he made the obviously doomed decision to hire Juan Castillo has his DC, that he had run out of ideas here in Philly and that he needed a change of scenery.   Andy needed to go because things had become stale and stagnant.

Fast forward to 2020.   I have long been more tolerant and supportive of Howie Roseman than most.   I recognized his "Cons” or flaws, but felt his "Pros” outweighed them, even if only slightly.    Howie at his best, aggressive and creative, helped the Eagles win the Super Bowl.  Yes there was some luck involved too, but that can be said for many past Super Bowl winners.  Regardless Howie will always deserve credit as being a significant part of the Eagles Super Bowl victory.

However something seems to have been very broken inside the NovaCare complex, especially in the last 2-3 seasons.   And I think like in 2012 with Andy Reid, it’s time to clean house in the FO and get a new GM.   No need to list every detailed example of single one of Howie’s failures, but in general…

The "Captain Obvious” reason that the drafts he has presided over…especially inside the Top 120 picks…just have not been anywhere near good enough.   Not even close.

The bizarre disconnect between many draft picks and free agent / trade acquisitions made by the FO, combined with the reality that they either were odd / poor fits in the existing schemes, or the coaching staff’s total reluctance to give them any playing time.    Multiple examples where it seems like the FO and the Coaching staff are not on the same page.

-  At one time Howie could arguably boast that he was one of the best GM’s in the NFL when it came to cap management.   Unfortunately, I am not sure that is true anymore, since that skillset has also seemed to diminish, with some seriously questionable contract decisions in the last 3 seasons.

Right or wrong, Howie has often been reported over the last 15yrs as a common denominator when it came to allegations of personnel dysfunction and infighting that has taken place in the Eagles FO over the years.   Once again it seems like this may be happening to some degree, depending on how much trust one puts in the various stories.   I personally have no idea exactly how much blame Howie should or shouldn’t receive, but I think it's fair to say the evidence we do have suggests he is probably not easy to work with, or work for.   Obviously everyone involved in these NFL soap operas over the years have their own agenda.   But the problem for Howie is that it is not just one or two stories like this.   There have easily been ½ dozen stories like this over the years involving Howie being involved in some struggle for control, power, or survival.  I am tired of it.     I can’t recall any of the better run NFL franchises having so many repetitive reports over the years of FO dysfunction and infighting, either inside the FO itself, or between the FO vs the Coaching staff.

If Jeff Lurie doesn’t fire Howie at the conclusion of this season, and bring in a new FO, I am not sure it will really matter what is ultimately decided about the HC, Coaching staff, QB, or the rest of the roster.

This 100%.  Howie has hamstrung not only Carson but Doug with an aging, expensive, untalented roster.  

Is Doug completely absolved of blame?  No, if he wants to continue to coach the Philadelphia Eagles or any team, he needs to give up play calling duties.  He needs to delegate duties to one offensive coordinator not this mishmash of offensive minds.  He needs someone who is going to play to the strengths of his team, scheme players open and keep the defense on its heels.  He also needs a front office that puts talent on the field and who stays the hell out of who is going to play etc.  You are right on the front office disfunction and that it isn't going to stop with Roseman still here no matter who the coach is.  At the end of the day, I still believe in Doug and I can see that the players are still playing hard for him    

As it pertains to Carson, Roseman really failed in surrounding him with the talent necessary to succeed the past couple of years.  The misses in the draft are well documented at the WR position but the depth at OL has also been a huge problem. The OL performance and injuries were really the start of this whole debacle.  Literally, you could see Carson's confidence go out the window with that PATHETIC OL performance in the 2nd half of the 1st game.  He got slaughtered in that game and OL hasn't really been any better since.  And then you look at who he is throwing to.  In addition to the revolving lineups and lack of separation, Carson can't even trust his receivers to be where they are supposed to be from play to play.  That is just a recipe for disaster.  Hurts may give them a better chance behind that OL (because of his athleticism and that he has not been sacked 50 freaking times this season) but they aren't winning many games with that garbage.   

From my perspective, firing Roseman is the first step.  Bring in a real GM to evaluate the roster, tell Doug he has to hand over play calling duties to a legitimate OC, fire Schwartz and start surrounding whoever is going to be the QB with legit talent on the OL, at the receiver position and go young on defense.  In my opinion, the dysfunction on the field at QB and with the team in general is just a symptom of the underlying illness which is the front office.          

2 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

The Titans just got destroyed by the Browns defense in the first half yesterday.

I criticized Wentz for the last 3 years.  You can't set the bar too high for your starting QB.

Now Wentz is out, and Hurts is in the crosshairs.  So let me say this...in the 4th quarter, Hurts provided a spark and brought the offense to levels we havent seen since..................................every single 4th quarter in garbage time with Wentz this year.  The Packers packed it in, wanted to go home early, and then slammed the door shut again once they realized it might still be a football game.  The passing game and scoring has opened up in the 4th quarter of nearly every game this year because teams quit and go prevent.  This wasn't some Hurts spark.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

And the Saints are a game up for the 1 seed in the NFC.  Dennis Allen is gonna bring it and maybe ruin Jalen Hurts in one game.

I tend to look at what the patriots did last game against Justin Herbert. Herbert came in off a not so good game against the bills. Probably his worst game of the season. The patriots who I don’t think are nearly as good as the Saints but have a great defensive minded coach absolutely obliterated Justin Herbert yesterday. I’m curious to see how Herbert looks this upcoming week against the Falcons who have been playing better as of late defensively. That game against the patriots might take him a couple weeks to recover from. That was a full on ass kicking to Justin Herbert. That’s what I worry about starting Jalen hurts.

I will say this if Drew Brees gets back and plays to his standards the Saints might have the best team in the nfl when they are fully healthy. I like the Chiefs but you saw it last night and there’s been games this year where their offense is very inconsistent. They manage to pull those games out because Patrick Mahomes and the offense is so good that other teams defense is a eventually see the dam break. However I think New Orleans can score points and defensively is good enough to make them work for the offense that they get. It’s gonna be a fascinating matchup to watch in week 15. Frankly if I were the Saints I would play Drew Brees in this game because you don’t know if you’re gonna win that KC game so I want to win every game I can. I get hill probably can win this game for them but I don’t want to even risk it. Plus I want to see Drew Brees get some reps and some timing with the wide receivers he has because he hasn’t played with them all that much this year cause guys were hurt or on Covid list. And I want him in his second start going against the Chiefs in week 15 not his first start back

7 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

And yet the oline on the all 22 wasn’t all that great in that game pass blocking. So what does that say for the oline with him not there? 

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

I criticized Wentz for the last 3 years.  You can't set the bar too high for your starting QB.

Now Wentz is out, and Hurts is in the crosshairs.  So let me say this...in the 4th quarter, Hurts provided a spark and brought the offense to levels we havent seen since..................................every single 4th quarter in garbage time with Wentz this year.  The Packers packed it in, wanted to go home early, and then slammed the door shut again once they realized it might still be a football game.  The passing game and scoring has opened up in the 4th quarter of nearly every game this year because teams quit and go prevent.  This wasn't some Hurts spark.

I made the same comment after the Steelers game and the ravens game that maybe what we were seeing was fools gold where the Eagles offense came back with a furious come back because teams took their foot off the pedal and it really wasn’t so much the Eagles. 

22 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Watch when he turns the corner.  When he hits the Eagles 45 yard-line to the Packers 40 or so.  Tell me that doesn't look like someone hitting the "speed burst" button on Madden.  :lol:

Not even that impressive, and not even as fast as Daniel Jones.

We have 3 wins why would anyone not want to see what we have in Hurts at this point? 

Archived