EMB Blog: 2020 Regular Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

If Doug walks away or is let go after the season, what is the likelihood the Eagles interview Jim Schwartz for head coach?  He obviously wants another gig; he interviewed with CLE

I hope not. We need to clean house , save for maybe Stoutland

• Replies 62.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

You are selling Herbig short.

Maybe, I think he's better in pass pro than MJG was and I still maintain that herbig doesn't have the functional mobility to be more than a spot starter.

One cant pull him or get him out in space on screens and he's not so strong or explosive that he blows guys off the ball, he's pretty good in pass pro because like MJG he's just so big with a low center of gravity that he's tough to get around. Maybe he could be a functional Center but not if one still wants to have running plays where the center pulls cuz herbig can't do that.

What I don't get is why Herbig was benched for Pryor and  or Peters? as both have been hot garbage while Herbig has at least been serviceable.

Having said that Peters and Pryor will be gone next year.

3 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

If Doug walks away or is let go after the season, what is the likelihood the Eagles interview Jim Schwartz for head coach?  He obviously wants another gig; he interviewed with CLE

I was thinking this and I like the idea of Schwartz as a head coach, he has the demeanor and respect for it, yet that also means his defensive scheme most likely sticks around, which I'm not a fan of.

I could see him in a role like belicheat where he has an OC and a DC doing their thing and he just over sees it all, you know like a functional organization☹️

2 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Steelers-WFT game at 5 is only being broadcasted in regional markets. Boo.

Even if you have Sunday ticket?

9 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

tenor.gif

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I think you should get it with Sunday Ticket, too.

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

You can watch it out of market on Sunday ticket, at least according to 506

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Grey is exclusive to Sunday Ticket

image.png.674998b4271ee0dab41f5cb9ae6aee99.png

6 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Steelers-WFT game at 5 is only being broadcasted in regional markets. Boo.

Search for a stream online

23 minutes ago, devpool said:

F Andre Dillard, Mailata needs to be the LT of the future. Train Dillard at RT over the off-season or trade him. 

Didn't Thomas, our past OT, say Dillard did not have the power to play NFL OT (to that effect)?  If he can't beef up to play RT, he should be traded.

Greg Williams got fired before gase. Wonder what the odds were of that happening. 

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Greg Williams got fired before gase. Wonder what the odds were of that happening. 

I think HC can fire his DC if he wants

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

I think HC can fire his DC if he wants

Yah but i would have bet the Jets fired Gase before Gase had the chance to fire Williams. Gase if he won that game might have gotten himself fired before the end of the year. Would’ve fired him on the spot for winning a game after seeing the Jaguars results. 

Remember when Matt Pryor was the training camp darling, the diamond in the rough the Eagles found in the draft looking like the best lineman in camp.  Fun times.

17 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Jonathan Ogden is an all time great LT in the NFL. I like Mailata but people go way overboard with how great he can be. Yes he might have that type of athleticism but that never means he reaches that type of performance consistently in the NFL. It is very hard to get a Jonathan Ogden performance at left tackle. The fact that we had Jason peters and before him tra Thomas was a pretty good run for the Eagles. Do I think he could be a very good player? Yes I do. however I feel Sewell can play at a higher level than mailata now and i still think he has massive room to get better. 

you asked the question how do I know in two years if sewell is going to be better than mailata. How do I know in two years that Sewell isn’t massively better and i passed on him hoping mailata reached where he did and was projected? I’m not passing up a potential Sewell just cause i have mailata. 

I can also move mailata to right tackle or Sewell to right tackle. lane Johnson plays right tackle but Johnson’s body is deteriorating and I don’t know how much longer he has. And I don’t trust dillard. I’ve been on here I don’t think he’s nearly as good as people on this message board seem to think he is. There was a reason why he fell in that draft. Because he was an older prospect and there were red flags about how much he truly love the game surrounding him and he fell. Now maybe he turns into a good left tackle or tackle in general but I’m not passing up on the opportunity to have a left and right tackle of Sewell and mailata because dillard may or may not be good enough.

Plus if dillard, Sewell and mailata are all good i can make a trade and get some good draft capital back. This isn’t the sixers drafting 3 centers in an nba that no longer revolves around center. Offensive linemen are at a premium in the NFL especially tackle. So I don’t think they would have any problem if all three of those guys wound up being good

Didn't say Mailata is as good as Ogden, just that physically he's a freak like Ogden.

However, he has less game experience than Sewell by a substantial margin. There's simply no way of projecting his eventual upside, he's just learning to put three years of coaching into action in game situations - imagine how fast the game is for him right now - and how much it'll slow down in a year or two.

I have nothing against taking Sewell, Sewell and Mailata would be a tremendous pair of bookend OTs, but then you have to trade Lane and Dillard in a year for a limited return.

25 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Maybe, I think he's better in pass pro than MJG was and I still maintain that herbig doesn't have the functional mobility to be more than a spot starter.

One cant pull him or get him out in space on screens and he's not so strong or explosive that he blows guys off the ball, he's pretty good in pass pro because like MJG he's just so big with a low center of gravity that he's tough to get around. Maybe he could be a functional Center but not if one still wants to have running plays where the center pulls cuz herbig can't do that.

What I don't get is why Herbig was benched for Pryor and  or Peters? as both have been hot garbage while Herbig has at least been serviceable.

Having said that Peters and Pryor will be gone next year.

I see Herbig as a 6th OL (interior guy), and that's about his high end.  I don't think MJG was ever that.

24 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I was thinking this and I like the idea of Schwartz as a head coach, he has the demeanor and respect for it, yet that also means his defensive scheme most likely sticks around, which I'm not a fan of.

I could see him in a role like belicheat where he has an OC and a DC doing their thing and he just over sees it all, you know like a functional organization☹️

🤦‍♂️ no please.. no.

52 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

That’s like the holy grail for unlimited power. Thank you! 

Just remember you can't unsee it

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I see Herbig as a 6th OL (interior guy), and that's about his high end.  I don't think MJG was ever that.

Yup. I don't think MJG was all that either. He was a big fat immobile slob, who was about as nasty as a sloth.

Herbig is more like a taller Nic Cole.

1 hour ago, justrelax said:

Yes, I think that would be a pretty good line.

Mailata over Dillard at LT, with Dillard, Driscoll, Herbig, Juriga and Prince backing up (Opeta with a disc problem becomes a long shot).

Those kids with a full offseason would be a good bench and insurance for the old men.

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Didn't say Mailata is as good as Ogden, just that physically he's a freak like Ogden.

However, he has less game experience than Sewell by a substantial margin. There's simply no way of projecting his eventual upside, he's just learning to put three years of coaching into action in game situations - imagine how fast the game is for him right now - and how much it'll slow down in a year or two.

I have nothing against taking Sewell, Sewell and Mailata would be a tremendous pair of bookend OTs, but then you have to trade Lane and Dillard in a year for a limited return.

Frankly I don’t know how much time Lane has left. I know his contract basically makes him stuck here until 2022 with how it’s structured. However I think his body is deteriorating on him. to the point of you can’t rely on him for 16 games and I’m not so sure he doesn’t eventually retire over the next 2-3 if his body can’t hold up. It’s not like Lane is young anymore. He’s going to be 31 and he has eight years of playing time in the NFL. Eight years is a long time in the NFL. 

i think with Sewell he goes back to the Eagles philosophy as an organization. If he is on the board I think that’s the guy they’re going to go with because they believe in winning the trenches. I don’t think Dillard or mailata would prevent them from going in that direction If we view him as a pro bowl caliber left tackle for the next decade. If told told me chase, surtain and Sewell we’re all available for the Eagles pic today, I would bet a lot of money the Eagles take Sewell 

10 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Remember when Matt Pryor was the training camp darling, the diamond in the rough the Eagles found in the draft looking like the best lineman in camp.  Fun times.

Wasn't JJAW doing great in camp too?

Archived