Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

13 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

He’s bowlegged so it looks worse than it really is. 

Besides being bowlegged he also has a lazy eye, a deviated septum, and a crooked spine.  Definitely not franchise QB material.  :nonono:

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Bingo!!! And Doug gets the assist for benching Carson and starting this crap circus instead of letting him play through his struggles in a lost year anyway. 

Play through his struggles?  He let him play through his struggles for far longer than he should have.  Wentz made watching the Eagles so miserable this year.  He should have been benched at half time a countless number of times during the year.  But they should have gone back to him after the benching like they did with McNabb and see if that might have set him straight instead they let Hurts start and he played too well to go back to Wentz.  

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

Hurts wouldn't even get you a third rounder. Probably a fifth or sixth.

Then you shouldn't be so upset about what eagles got for Wentz. Carson was not any better than Hurts last year and that's what everyone in the league is based his value on. They bumped it up a bit for his 2017 performance.

3 minutes ago, XoqTionR said:

Then you shouldn't be so upset about what eagles got for Wentz. Carson was not any better than Hurts last year and that's what everyone in the league is based his value on. They bumped it up a bit for his 2017 performance.

That might be true if last year was Carson's only year in the league. But it's not. He had a down year. He is a much much better QB than Hurts. Hell he actually IS a QB. Not a RB playing QB. 

To all the people screeching "wHaT a HoRriBlE dEaL!!!!", if no one else was offering anything better, what were the Eagles supposed to do, sit on his discontent and that ginormous contract? Cut him and get nothing? Force him to play when he doesn't want to be here and let the locker room become even more of a cancerous atmosphere?

By now everybody in the league knows he doesn't want to be here and the Eagles are collapsing under the weight of that contract. The longer they waited, the deals were only going to get worse, not better. Lots of free agent QBs on the market this year.

Freaking TATErs...

Just now, Uscg-green said:

That might be true if last year was Carson's only year in the league. But it's not. He had a down year. He is a much much better QB than Hurts. Hell he actually IS a QB. Not a RB playing QB. 

2017 was Carson's only good year...do you think think Lamar Jackson is better than Wentz? Most the league does.

At this point I am glad its done and the deal is about as good that could be expected given the constraints (Wentz's play last year, injury history, desire to go to a new team, desire to only go to Colts).

I am not going to defend the Eagles in how this played out, some of it was Wentz, some of it a bad scheme / coaching, and some of it was personnel.  I didn't like that Howie used a 2nd on another QB because the Eagles had other holes, however I don't believe you pay your QB to be elite franchise QB and they can't handle competition from a 2nd round rookie?  If Wentz can't perform with competition that is on him, period.  I am not even convinced that is is the real issue that affected Wentz this season.  I think the main factors:

1. Wentz's mechanics issues continuing to regress.
  2. Scheme (too many long developing plays and lack of schemed quick throws, include the Oline stuff here)
  3. Confidence (I think this was a snowball combination of Oline issues + hero ball issues + accuracy issues).  He just didn't trust what he was seeing and his ability to get the ball there so he would hitch and hold and NFL windows were tight.

I know there are rumors about his ego influence scheme etc and locker room stuff but I am leaving them out because not sure what to believe is real.  The above 3 you can see if you watch the tape and they compound each other to the outcome we saw.

2 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

To all the people screeching "wHaT a HoRriBlE dEaL!!!!", if no one else was offering anything better, what were the Eagles supposed to do, sit on his discontent and that ginormous contract? Cut him and get nothing? Force him to play when he doesn't want to be here and let the locker room become even more of a cancerous atmosphere?

By now everybody in the league knows he doesn't want to be here and the Eagles are collapsing under the weight of that contract. The longer they waited, the deals were only going to get worse, not better. Lots of free agent QBs on the market this year.

Freaking TATErs...

How about don't put yourself in the situation in the first place? Don't waste a second rounder instead of getting your QB some help. Don't bench him during a down year. We weren't winning anything last year anyway. Don't torch your future with the guy. He's gonna recover. And make the move and fire your crappy GM. 

3 minutes ago, XoqTionR said:

2017 was Carson's only good year...do you think think Lamar Jackson is better than Wentz? Most the league does.

Except for 2018 when he set the Eagles single season completion percentage record, and 2019 when he set the Eagles single season passing yardage record.

4 minutes ago, XoqTionR said:

2019 was a pretty good year for Carson as well. Division championship and all that. 

7 minutes ago, proveagle said:

At this point I am glad its done and the deal is about as good that could be expected given the constraints (Wentz's play last year, injury history, desire to go to a new team, desire to only go to Colts).

I am not going to defend the Eagles in how this played out, some of it was Wentz, some of it a bad scheme / coaching, and some of it was personnel.  I didn't like that Howie used a 2nd on another QB because the Eagles had other holes, however I don't believe you pay your QB to be elite franchise QB and they can't handle competition from a 2nd round rookie?  If Wentz can't perform with competition that is on him, period.  I am not even convinced that is is the real issue that affected Wentz this season.  I think the main factors:

1. Wentz's mechanics issues continuing to regress.
  2. Scheme (too many long developing plays and lack of schemed quick throws)
  3. Confidence (I think this was a snowball combination of Oline issues + hero ball issues + accuracy issues).  He just didn't trust what he was seeing and his ability to get the ball there so he would hitch and hold and NFL windows were tight.

I know there are rumors about his ego influence scheme etc and locker room stuff but I am leaving them out because not sure what to believe is real.  The above 3 you can see if you watch the tape and they compound each other to the outcome we saw.

some have said his stubbornness wouldn’t allow him to be a check down qb, so any scheming for quick reads and throws weren’t going to work with him wanting to throw the ball down field and make the "difficult” play aka play hero ball.  There’s also some people that think he can’t really truly read a defense. A lot of people, me included, were fooled into thinking he was peyton 2.0 with his football IQ and his athletic ability put him on another level....but as it turns out he’s more like Bobby Hoying 2.0 in every way.  

3 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

How about don't put yourself in the situation in the first place? Don't waste a second rounder instead of getting your QB some help. Don't bench him during a down year. We weren't winning anything last year anyway. Don't torch your future with the guy. He's gonna recover. And make the move and fire your crappy GM. 

With as bad NFC East division was there was still chance at making it to playoffs. Which is every teams goal. It had to be done.

1 minute ago, XoqTionR said:

With as bad NFC East division was there was still chance at making it to playoffs. Which is every teams goal. It had to be done.

And how did that work out?

Just now, DBW said:

RE: point 2....some have said his stubbornness wouldn’t allow him to be a check down qb, so any scheming for quick reads and throws weren’t going to work with him wanting to throw the ball down field and make the "difficult” play aka play hero ball.  There’s also some people that think he can’t really truly read a defense. A lot of people, me included, were fooled into thinking he was peyton 2.0 with his football IQ and his athletic ability put him on another level....but as it turns out he’s more like Bobby Hoying 2.0 in every way.  

I left this out on purpose because I am not 100% confidence that the issue is egos/stubburness vs can't read the D etc.  Certainly possible, for whatever reason they didnt do enough of the things a good coach would do to help a QB:

1. Schemed quick throws.
  2. Screens.
  3. Run the ball

It is very suspicious that they did that with other QBs (Foles/Hurts) but the offense never looked like that with Wentz?  Lots of rumors he didnt want to run that stuff or he couldn't because of accuracy issues etc etc but I can't tell intent so stuck to what I saw on the field.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Except for 2018 when he set the Eagles single season completion percentage record, and 2019 when he set the Eagles single season passing yardage record.

With or without Wentz, without a rebuild, eagles would probably have the same record this coming season. Wentz needs to much around him to be competitive. Wentz needed to be unloaded now to build team back up.

48 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Bingo!!! And Doug gets the assist for benching Carson and starting this crap circus instead of letting him play through his struggles in a lost year anyway. 

If you believe one aspect of the story (who knows what to believe):  Doug wanted Wentz and was forced to bench him by Lurie and Howie.  And then part of why Doug was fired was he didn't want to go with Hurts.

There's another story that's the opposite so who knows.

Didn't the Bears offer the Eagles more? WTF is going on? This team is such a joke. Everyone excited to see a worse season than last? 2-14 or 1-15 coming up.

5 minutes ago, proveagle said:

I left this out on purpose because I am not 100% confidence that the issue is egos/stubburness vs can't read the D etc.  Certainly possible, for whatever reason they didnt do enough of the things a good coach would do to help a QB:

1. Schemed quick throws.
  2. Screens.
  3. Run the ball

It is very suspicious that they did that with other QBs (Foles/Hurts) but the offense never looked like that with Wentz?  Lots of rumors he didnt want to run that stuff or he couldn't because of accuracy issues etc etc but I can't tell intent so stuck to what I saw on the field.

There’s something about all that for sure.  I have no doubt doug could scheme and game plan and is actually a good game day play caller. For whatever reason, it wasn’t working with Carson.  And if you believe the stories that Carson was changing Doug’s plays (I do) then it adds another layer to this that makes sense.  And if you’re Howie, you have to trade that out of here because you can’t have a qb undermining a new coach. 

I said before, there’s plenty that will come out over time that we aren’t being told and the truth is always somewhere in the middle.

Just now, wrestlevessel said:

Didn't the Bears offer the Eagles more? WTF is going on? This team is such a joke. Everyone excited to see a worse season than last? 2-14 or 1-15 coming up.

They didn’t even make an offer 😂 

1 minute ago, DBW said:

There’s something about all that for sure.  I have no doubt doug could scheme and game plan and is actually a good game day play caller. For whatever reason, it wasn’t working with Carson.  And if you believe the stories that Carson was changing Doug’s plays (I do) then it adds another layer to this that makes sense.  And if you’re Howie, you have to trade that out of here because you can’t have a qb undermining a new coach. 

I said before, there’s plenty that will come out over time that we aren’t being told and the truth is always somewhere in the middle.

They didn’t even make an offer 😂 

Where did you hear that they did not make an offer. I thought reports said they got impatient with us.

38 minutes ago, DBW said:

you don’t burn the house down or give it away if you aren’t sure you like the one you just bought. 

Wouldn't be so sure with Howie. 

5 minutes ago, wrestlevessel said:

There were 2 reports:

1. The Bears were offering more, but they would only do the deal if Carson was on board and wanted to be there.

2. The Bears never made an offer, those were just rumors.

Where did you hear that they did not make an offer. I thought reports said they got impatient with us.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

The Bears apparently never made an offer.  Despite all the media rumors even naming players in the guesses.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30923798/sources-philadelphia-eagles-trade-qb-carson-wentz-indianapolis-colts-two-draft-picks

Jay glazer report said they never made an offer. 

To recap what was reported today:

1. ESPN: Bears never made an offer for Wentz, Colts were the only team interested.  Reich was a driving factor, wanted Wentz, thinks he can "fix" him.
  2. NFLN Garafalo: Wentz never demanded a trade, neither did his agent.  Wentz never threatened to not show up for camp.

Archived