Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

20Safety_Hazards

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But Hulk doesn't work in his own film and I mean they've tried with the Fantastic 4 twice and it's flopped. There's definitely a huge void left on earth. Plus they lost T'Challa.

Marvel has never had the rights to the Fantastic 4.  Those flops were all on Fox.  Thats like saying Spiderman would fail in the MCU because look how bad the Amazing Spiderman films were. Prior to the Chris Evan’s, the Captain America movies were largely a joke.  People doubted whether Captain America would even work on screen given his character, but Marvel and Evan’s performance, made him beloved. Marvels most marketable heroes prior to the MCU were Hulk Fantastic 4, Spiderman, Wolverine/X-men generally.  Not surprisingly all of which were properties Marvel sold the movie rights to when it was in financial trouble. 

Also, keep in mind that some of these huge voids right now were not sure fire locks when they came out. Iron Man, as big as he is now, was not an A-tier hero in Marvel before the MCU.  He had some notable storylines in the comics but they were almost always with the Avengers, and the roster of who was in the Avengers changed all the time. The Guardians are an even better example, as that group was relatively unknown outside of major comic book fans and that roster changed frequently. The MCU made them household names.  With the right story, Marvel can make any of their characters stars that can fill that void. Not saying it’s going to be easy, and losing T’challa certainly does not help, but it is far from impossible. Especially with some Of their biggest names returning including the fantastic four and the entire X-men roster. 

• Like 1

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOTW

• 20Safety_Hazards

• UK_EaglesFan89

• Boogyman

9 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Marvel has never had the rights to the Fantastic 4.  Those flops were all on Fox.  Thats like saying Spiderman would fail in the MCU because look how bad the Amazing Spiderman films were. Prior to the Chris Evan’s, the Captain America movies were largely a joke.  People doubted whether Captain America would even work on screen given his character, but Marvel and Evan’s performance, made him beloved. Marvels most marketable heroes prior to the MCU were Hulk Fantastic 4, Spiderman, Wolverine/X-men generally.  Not surprisingly all of which were properties Marvel sold the movie rights to when it was in financial trouble. 

Totally agree.  Like I mentioned, I never read a comic book in my life.  I knew of these characters through movies and videogames  (and in the Xmen's case, the 90s cartoon).  I always through Captain America was a joke. "Oh, he's a bit stronger than the average bear and has a shield"

With the MCU, he's been a fan favorite and as far as standalone movies go, he has the best series of the bunch.  Not a single one was a low point (Thor 2, Ironman 3) and winter soldier is easily a top 5 of the MCU movies.

• Like 1

Shouldn’t the white guy be explaining Rick Astley to the colored fella?

10 hours ago, paco said:

165892146_921820168584367_73023130195534

No cap there either... one of the best moments in the MCU (well small moments) is early on in the winter soldier when he jumps out of the aircraft without a parachute. 

my kinda show. i can tell because i came a little.

Usually not a huge fan of Owen Wilson, but I think his schtick will fit perfectly as a bureaucratic annoyance to Loki. 

On 4/4/2021 at 3:55 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But Hulk doesn't work in his own film and I mean they've tried with the Fantastic 4 twice and it's flopped. There's definitely a huge void left on earth. Plus they lost T'Challa.

this is absolutely an issue the MCU is trying to work around. 

T’Challa was definitely the guy to fill Steve Rogers shoes. Maybe Dr Strange for Tony Stark. 

Fantastic 4 is at the end of this coming phase I think. I’m curious to see what they do with Hulk after this. Will his arm heal? Professor Hulk seemed to be his final phase, right? 

I have questions, but I trust them so far to work it out. 

We also have multiple new heroes on the arrival. Shang Chi, all of the externals, Blade, Kate Bishop, She hulk, moon knight, ms. Marvel, and iron heart to name a few even before we get to a fantastic four. And those are just what we know of. 

On 4/4/2021 at 7:16 PM, paco said:

Totally agree.  Like I mentioned, I never read a comic book in my life.  I knew of these characters through movies and videogames  (and in the Xmen's case, the 90s cartoon).  I always through Captain America was a joke. "Oh, he's a bit stronger than the average bear and has a shield"

With the MCU, he's been a fan favorite and as far as standalone movies go, he has the best series of the bunch.  Not a single one was a low point (Thor 2, Ironman 3) and winter soldier is easily a top 5 of the MCU movies.

Honestly it's probably the "technically" best MCU movie, if that makes any sense.

The heavy hitters/biggest names left on Earth:

• Hulk: hipster professor version wants to lay low even more than before. 
  • Spider-Man: went back to being small time, his last movie left him framed (who would believe that anyway).
  • Doctor Strange: only gets involved when it's mystical or Thanos level.
  • Wanda: we saw she won't be helping anyone else anytime soon.

The rest:

• Ant-Man & The Wasp: always did their own thing but helped in Civil War and Endgame. Would make sense on a new Avengers team.
  • Hawkeye: probably went back to retirement, we'll see his own series later.
  • Sam & Bucky.
  • Rhodes.
  • Valkyrie: laying low in new Asgard.
  • Pepper with a suit: only likely to help in a Thanos level situation. 
  • We'll see how they handle Black Panther now. He would have been able to fill a huge void and lead.

There is no clear leader to replace Tony, Steve or Natasha (they shouldn't have killed her).

Unless Nick Fury reassembles them and "leads" like he set out to in the beginning. 

I missed why Sharon isn't pardoned like everyone else.  Sam even pointed out Bucky's much worse crimes. 

On 4/5/2021 at 6:27 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

this is absolutely an issue the MCU is trying to work around. 

I am really not sure how they are going to! Black Panther was such a success and T'Challa (Boseman) played a huge huge part in that. He was going to be one of the faces of the MCU for the next few years and his death was just tragic.

On 4/5/2021 at 7:54 PM, Weaponx01 said:

Fantastic 4 is at the end of this coming phase I think. I’m curious to see what they do with Hulk after this. Will his arm heal? Professor Hulk seemed to be his final phase, right? 

Yeah what they do with Hulk is going to be very interesting. I think they confirmed that he is permanently damaged after Endgame? That his arm will not heal and I guess that helps them phase him out and balance his sheer strength and power?

9 hours ago, NOTW said:

I missed why Sharon isn't pardoned like everyone else.  Sam even pointed out Bucky's much worse crimes. 

everyone knows the order of importance goes white man > black man > female

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I am really not sure how they are going to! Black Panther was such a success and T'Challa (Boseman) played a huge huge part in that. He was going to be one of the faces of the MCU for the next few years and his death was just tragic.

Yeah what they do with Hulk is going to be very interesting. I think they confirmed that he is permanently damaged after Endgame? That his arm will not heal and I guess that helps them phase him out and balance his sheer strength and power?

They've been trying to limit or decrease the power of certain heroes over the years.

• Hulk: began in Ragnarok having his skin pierced with blood by the beast. Got his ass kicked by Thanos EASILY which didn't quite make sense since Iron Man and Cap held their own against Thanos with more Infinity Stones.  Then he hid and wouldn't come out.  Then as Professor Hulk he doesn't have the rage so they tamed him.
  • Thor:  made him fat and lazy, he still was able to draw on his powers in Endgame though so we'll see.
  • Bucky: in Civil War he was taking on a SWAT team and using his 1 arm to block machine gun bullets, and fight against the alien army at the end of Infinity War.  Now, he's easily taken down by 2 guys on a truck (with a milder version of the super soldier serum as revealed by the scientist who created it).  In the recent episode he was ducking and running for cover and not nearly as strong or skilled as he was before.
  • Sam:  without being Cap's sidekick, he isn't as confident.  He did well in the pilot opening sequence but since then he's been brought more down to earth.  Also, he was absolutely terrible acting as the sneaking tiger or whatever his name was.  He stumbled and gave himself away.  Also weird writing where a phone call makes everyone panic.  Sam could have declined the call, or had it on silent in the first place and not taken it out.  That was just dumb, but they needed a reason to have them get made.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Hulk: began in Ragnarok having his skin pierced with blood by the beast. Got his ass kicked by Thanos EASILY which didn't quite make sense since Iron Man and Cap held their own against Thanos with more Infinity Stones.  Then he hid and wouldn't come out.  Then as Professor Hulk he doesn't have the rage so they tamed him.

I mean the biggest surprise was that Tony holds his own better than anyone else. He does the most damage.

On 4/7/2021 at 4:10 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

agreed. i felt black panther & falcon were going to be right up there with spiderman in the new phase. 

31 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

agreed. i felt black panther & falcon were going to be right up there with spiderman in the new phase. 

Perhaps. I mean the fact they've done a series for Falcon says 2 things... Either they really like the character and want to develop him OR they think he's going to be a support guy in the Avengers and so they've taken him to the smaller screens. Still a key character in this phase but perhaps not cinema worthy in his own right?

Falcon isn't big enough to be a major player, IMO. I'm shocked they even did this series with him as a focal point, I was never really interested in his character. He's just a dude with a jetpack, and nowhere near as interesting or charismatic as RDJ's Iron Man (comparison with another normal dude with a special suit). 

My guess is that he becomes a supporting player to Bucky much like he was to Captain America, that's what he is best suited for. Bucky is a strong enough character to fill a bigger role IMO. His character has depth and actual super hero abilities plus the cyber arm.

51 minutes ago, devpool said:

Falcon isn't big enough to be a major player, IMO. I'm shocked they even did this series with him as a focal point, I was never really interested in his character. He's just a dude with a jetpack, and nowhere near as interesting or charismatic as RDJ's Iron Man (comparison with another normal dude with a special suit). 

My guess is that he becomes a supporting player to Bucky much like he was to Captain America, that's what he is best suited for. Bucky is a strong enough character to fill a bigger role IMO. His character has depth and actual super hero abilities plus the cyber arm.

It's a buddy cop action/comedy with both Sam & Bucky. It's not solely Falcon, and the TV shows allow smaller characters to get attention., (Wanda is a powerful Avenger but that story was better suited for a series.)

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It's a buddy cop action/comedy with both Sam & Bucky. It's not solely Falcon, and the TV shows allow smaller characters to get attention., (Wanda is a powerful Avenger but that story was better suited for a series.)

thats what im gettng from these series and it was a reason i liked agents of shield. especially when they brought in the ghost rider character and helped me get over nicolas cage's bomb.