Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

20Safety_Hazards

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Those Pitch Meetings always nail it don't they. There are always so many holes in pretty much everything. So true about the Flagsmashers and what their overall plan was. 

Yeah they were trying to show them as fighting for "the people."  They wanted "one world" and open borders.  The people who came back from the 5 year blip had to be dealt with somehow.  The GRC was literally meeting to figure that out and they were being bombed, kidnapped and murdered.

Sam:  don't call them terrorists.  Give me a break.

There was no alternate plan, just "one world."  Even the Senator when he asked Sam so what do we do with the people who returned from the blip and found other people have taken their houses and possessions?  Sam just shrugged, had no answer.  Then moved on to privilege and you rich people can figure out how to spend money to solve this.

There are better ways to handle a complex and nuanced issue, and provide motivation and hope for working together.  But not defend terrorists...right after the politicians were just freed from the building where they were being held hostage and gassed.  

• Like 1

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOTW

• 20Safety_Hazards

• UK_EaglesFan89

• Boogyman

I also agree about John Walker.  Good soldier, won medals and all that.  They wanted us to hate him because he wasn't Steve Rogers. Why is it that when he took the serum he became a raving lunatic frothing at the mouth, but all the terrorists who were blowing people up, lighting them on fire and murdering people were calm?  They really, really wanted us to hate JW.

It was another missed opportunity.  JW at first was a proper mix of excited and humble about taking over for Steve.  The progression could have been his realization of what wearing that costume and carrying that shield means...contrasted with Sam's conflict over what it means to him both as Steve's right hand man and friend, and as a black man.  Meanwhile it has a different meaning to Bucky because of his loyalty to Steve and knowing him longest.  They barely scratched the surface on that (partly because of all the story line and themes crammed in).

They never once showed that anyone felt the "need" to have a new Captain America.  No one in the military (that I recall) saying "we can't let the shield sit in a museum, we need a symbol, we need a Captain America."  They just threw it at the end of the pilot.  There was no stated need, no conflict, nothing driving their decision.  I don't remember any media coverage of the terrorist attacks and asking where are the Avengers, who is going to stop them, the world is in fear we sure miss Iron Man and Captain America... or any set up to it.  They just wanted a "twist" at the end of the pilot.

John Walker was a man crumbling under the weight of the expectations. Battlestar was his morale compass. That’s established pretty early in the season when he reminded John he couldn’t just punch his way out of his problems. In reality, The serum didn’t make him a frothy lunatic, the death of battlestar did. Without Battlestar, he became blinded by rage and turned back to his instincts rather than what the "mantle” required him to be. He had already shown anger issues before, notably his impatience with Sam when he wanted to talk Karli down or the irritable nature that bubbled after Sam and Bucky denied his requests to help repeatedly. Also they hinted that his medals of honor were the result of some less than honorable conduct, or at a minimum involves some very traumatic activities. 

As for the "need” for Captain America, the speech at the end of episode 1 basically was the setup and set up the motivations of the GRC. The Senator who was also on the GRC was all about resetting up America, and National borders. As a result, the creation of a new captain America was to reclaim the mantle as an "American” hero. Steve was Captain America but he stood for far more than America alone. He was a global symbol. Walker was never meant to be that. 

I have my issues with Falcon and Winter Soldier, the Walker storyline is not really one of them. 

• Like 1

As for the run times of the 2 shows, if I recall it was just 1 guy that said TFAWS should be shorter.  A couple people thought WandaVision should've just given more in each episode.  I think as it went on it spoke to the enjoyment that people just wanted more.  Also, the credits were so long that you open the episode and see the run time but then so much of it ended up being just the credits.  So I think people didn't know what to expect there. 

Since WandaVision was mimicking sitcoms which are 30 minutes, it made sense to do 30 minutes.  They did release 2 the first week so we were able to watch a full hour.  However, they should have gotten there faster in that first hour.  You think about movies that establish plots in the first act.  They were purposely trying to build mystery and it felt like they were really just having fun sending up the sitcom tropes.  I still enjoyed it, but as they went on they switched back and forth from sitcom world to what's really going on, whereas the first 2 episodes they were almost completely in the sitcom world with just some hints.  I also maintain that since this was the first MCU action since Spider-Man FFH and the first Disney+ series, fans wanted more.  I think Falcon and Winter Soldier would have been a better series to start with, then do the experimental WandaVision. 

TFAWS deals with life post-Endgame where WandaVision doesn't as much.  The length of episodes was good, but they crammed too many plot points and should have done more episodes, or cut some of the story lines and kept the focus more streamlined.

20 hours ago, NOTW said:

The length of episodes was good, but they crammed too many plot points and should have done more episodes, or cut some of the story lines and kept the focus more streamlined.

this would be my main criticism of the show as well. if you aren't going to trim the storyline, at least do one more episode, if not two. 

Finally watched it.

That. Was. Bad. 

Seriously, what a steaming piece of crap that was.

Marvel put out a video recapping some previous clips with Stan Lee narration then gives teaser footage from Black Widow, Shang Chi, The Eternals and then lists all the upcoming movies through 2023.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Marvel put out a video recapping some previous clips with Stan Lee narration then gives teaser footage from Black Widow, Shang Chi, The Eternals and then lists all the upcoming movies through 2023.  

What a great little video that is. Really nice. 

The Marvel producer went on to reveal that the commercials which appeared in Episodes 1-3 and 5-7 were originally intended to be subtle messages sent to Wanda by Stephen Strange, who would've been attempting to get through to the Scarlet Witch from outside of her sitcom reality madness.

Feige also shared that the revision of WandaVision's finale without Doctor Strange also meant a rewrite of parts of Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness, which will see Elizabeth Olsen's Wanda in a leading role.

• Like 1

Another article I read said that they didn't want the end of the series to be spoiled by "white male shows up to explain her powers" <_<

• Haha 2

I’m actually fine without Strange in WandaVision.  While it would have made a lot of sense for Strange to show up, this also occurs literally weeks, if not days after Endgame.  Strange as the sorcerer supreme likely had a lot to do at the Sanctum which I’m sure we’ll see in the movie.  Also, these shows are giving us a chance to explore lesser used characters, bringing in the A team members would, in my opinion, take too much focus off the story.

I would have been fine with a post credit scene after WandaVision ended showing strange trying to connect with Wanda through the hex, but not during the main story. Also, sending Wanda commercials of her greatest trauma would be a pretty :censored:up way of making contact. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BFit said:

Another article I read said that they didn't want the end of the series to be spoiled by "white male shows up to explain her powers" <_<

Wanda can accuse him of mansplaining and then put a spell on him.  :lol:

• Haha 3

She’s been the worst of the castings so far anyway.

• Like 2

I don’t think she did a bad job. I enjoyed Captain Marvel.

I think introducing an almost all-powerful character at the last moment was weird. And then to barely use said character was also weird. I know they needed to setup the Skrulls but it felt out of place. 

27 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

She’s been the worst of the castings so far anyway.

MV5BMTk3NTY4NzgyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODEz

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The_Omega said:

Main character castings, but, point taken.

Mox1UPb.jpg

• Haha 2