EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Don't tear each other up over Smith's size.

If everyone knew it would not be a factor, he'd have been drafted #2 or #3 overall.

If everyone knew it would be a problem, he'd be drafted in round 2 or 3.

Instead, he went were he belonged, #10, because the size IS a concerning risk, but most people THINK it will be OK.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I’m channeling my old man yelling at cloud energy real hard here but I don’t understand the point in filming and reporting every single workout, especially with a guy shoving a cell phone in his face during. This is coming off as kinda fake. Every other QB is doing the same stuff and they don’t blast it out every single day 

Or rather than being in a controlled environment like the NovaCare complex they'd rather travel to different locations.  I get it though, the boycott has nothing to do with Covid apparently.  Glad they are at least working out.

Would like to see the o-line and d-line get in some work together.  Come on Fletcher and Lane get it together!

Guest justrelax
23 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Ok? So what’s interesting and what do the players you listed have to do with Herbig? 

Reportedly working out with Hurts.

16 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Mr. Roper was incredible.  Such a miserable mfer!  

Norman Fell and Jack Klugman were both from Philly, and fabricated a life-long feud with one another during their careers in Hollywood.

Gotta respect a troll job that carries on for 40+ years.

14 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Big athletic guys are a dime a dozen.  But it's real hard to find 166 lbs guys?  Yeah.  Got it.  

As usual, you miss the point.

Big athletic guys are used to dominating players on size and athleticism at lower levels, and don't take a lot of bad hits b/c they're the baddest mother in the valley, then go to the NFL and find out that safeties at 210 lbs are faster than the 190 lb guys they trucked in college, that 240 lb LBs can fly to the ball, and so on. So they may expose themselves to contact because they had a false sense of security built up at lower levels where they could physically dominate.

Then of course you have guys like Mailata, who are still the baddest mofos in the valley.

24 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Ahhhhh.  Ok my turn.

Cell Phone

Wallet

Wall Paper

Keys

Money

GO!

I would also like to see Hurts working with an actual professional private QB coach like House, Palmer, Mastrole instead of a guy making tik tok videos

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

Id rather not get hit by either as my job as an offensive player is do avoid contact no???

Size does matter and we're not talking about effectiveness due to weight were discussing propensity for Injury due to weight.smaller players are also more difficult to get a hold of and get a clean hit on. 

It's easier for me to run Into Christian Okoye than barry sanders because Okoye is a bigger more stationary target no? 

I played football at 135 lbs in highschool I never got i justed because if contact, I wasn't the fastest or quickest or most agile either I was pretty easy to tackle which is why I played defense where I was a little more than a speed bump, pain wise it hurt more to tackle a 200 pound dude more than it hurt getting tackled by a 200 pound dude. I got scraped up bruised and battered trying to tackle never hurt being tackled.

Most the time when offensive players are hurt from contact it's due to a head to head contact that causes a concussion, most of those hits have been legislated out of football, if a WR gets lit up over the middle by a safety he may get the wind knocked out if him and being 170 pounds as opposed to 220 one may be more prone to losing ones wind on those hits 

Maybe if a WR is stretching for a pass and his ribs are exposed he might be more prone to a rib Injury though I doubt there is much data to support that either as lots of bigger receivers break or bruise ribs in similar hits.

Smith took some big hits in college and just bounced right back up.

Where as I've seen bigger WRs take similar hits and miss 3 games, there's really no method to the madness.

Pinkston took some shots in his career, that one cant find a highlight reels worth of Pinkston getting lit up could just drive that Pinkston was as you say avoiding contact, which isn't a bad thing for a 170 pound receiver.

Marvin harrison was pretty slight, one won't find too many clips if him getting lit up or taking on tacklers head on because why would he, his coach and team need him to catch 100 passes not break a hundred tackles.

I think there is this thought that today's NFL us the same as the nfl if the 80s and 90s where safeties are patroling the middle if the field waiting to light up a wr, that league is long gone has been for a while.

It's why a guy like tutu atwell who weighs about 150 pounds gets drafted in the 3rd round while a guy like Grimes who weighs 220 goes undrafted.

Little guys that can operate in space are more valuable to offenses I a league that is closer to 7 on 7 flag football, the rules have made the leagues offenses more wide open and easier to operate.

If Pinkston at 170 in an era when defenses were actually allowed to hit receivers didn't get injured them Smith shouldn't be at risk if getting injured simply because he weighs 166 pounds.

Did Pinkston avoid contact? Yes, did him avoiding contact decrease his chance for injury? Most likely. Coincidentally he was injured non contact.Will Smith avoid contact as much as possible? I hope so it's his job. will eagles fans call him a puss for running out of bounds when he could have got an extra yard after already getting a first down, probably.Will Smith get hurt playing football? Most likely.

Will him getting hurt be because he weighs 166 pounds??? There is currently no data to suggest that as true.

As such anecdotal evidence was presented to make ones case In the form if 3 former eagles with similar frames 2 if which never suffered any injuries due to contact and Desean the 3rd who suffered a concussion on a helmet to helmet cheap shot which most likely was not a result of his weight and a broken leg when he took a cheap shot while on the ground and his ankle got awkwardly pinned under him, which again is highly improbable that had anything to do with him weighing 175 lbs.

When chase gets hurt which at some point he will, Will fans complain it's because he only weighs 200 pounds?

When smith gets hurt which he will it's just the nature of the game, ones conclusion without any kind of proof shouldn't be he got hurt because he weighs 165 pounds, those claims are unfounded.

you miss the part where I said you made the catch and then turned around and wham!!!

An offensive players job is not to avoid hits it's to gain yardage and score. That said, big people beat up little people.

12 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That entire generation loves to see themselves and think others do as well.  Even if they aren't pro athletes.  Whether it's selfies, you tube, tik tok, facebook, facetime, Instagram or snap chat.  It's all of them.  

Now THAT is how you yell at a cloud.  

That cloud never stood a chance.  It's true though.  My neighbor's 10 year old kid spends hours dancing and doing stupid crap in front of his phone outside.  I feel embarrassed for him but he doesn't know any better.  He does some silly 10 second dance, grabs the phone, looks at it, puts the phone down and does it again.  All the time.  

18 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

:wacko:  Odd comparison.  But ok.  

166 lb wr are an injury risk.  Drafting one at #10 overall is also risky.  I know you and all of us want to hope that isn't the case.  But it is.  Let's hope it doesn't come to fruition.  

I disagree that he's an Injury risk because he weighs 166 pounds.

And  it will come to fruition, he's playing a game where grown men run into each other and they all get hurt/Injured all the time.

In today's wide open flag football 7 on 7 league I think the potential for contact I juries are far less which decreases the risk to a 166 pound receiver.

25 years ago is say no way. I'd say he better run straight go patterns every play and run straight out of bounds because he gets any where near the middle if the field atwater, lott, hopkins or any other 80s 90s safeties are going to out him in the grave.

In today's games safeties are smaller and smaller because they don't need to be in the box taking in 220 lb RBs they're instead spread out covering 4 WRs sets all game so they need to be quicker which is usually smaller guys.

It's why a guy like Grimes at 220 goes undrafted and a guy like tutu atwell at 150 lbs goes in the 3rd round. Offenses want guys that can play in space and defenses respond by getting smaller guys in the back 7 that can run and cover.

Lbs and safeties are getting smaller.

Once in a generation a LB that weighs 250 and runs a 4.4 comes around,that's rare or a 225 lb safety that can turn his hips and run and man cover that's rare.

It's easier to find small guys that can run and try to cover and hope they can tackle.

As for tackling, tackling qbs and receivers in the league has been legislated to the point that it's almost non existent 

Guys like dawkins would be fined and suspended weekly.

All these benefit lighter guys like Smith and decrease probability of injury due to contact.

Having said that the league still hasn't figured out how to legislate out injury, if they could they would and still Smith will get hurt, hopefully as you say not a lot 

Guest justrelax
11 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Norman Fell and Jack Klugman were both from Philly, and fabricated a life-long feud with one another during their careers in Hollywood.

Gotta respect a troll job that carries on for 40+ years.

Klugman also roomed with Charles Bronson at one time.

4 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

I just hope they can cater the offense to the best players’ strengths. That’s what the best coaches do. 

That's what he's been preaching about since day one. We'll see if he can walk the walk

3 hours ago, RLC said:

*This is Fine* meme

Pretty childish

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Don't give yourself too much credit. You're not in some rarified air that I can't get any of your points.    Of which all are slanted because of blind loyalty.  Little WR's will avoid more contact that big WR.  Everyone gets that.  You know why that is?  Because the little guy is..............LITTLE!!!!!!!!  And he doesn't want to get smoked.  Big guys, at times, seek it out.  If Smith can go without missing substantial time because of contact injuries, then we all would be happy.  But to assume he's not going to take shots because he's gonna be able to avoid them like he did in college, is naïve.  It will only take that one shot.  And it will happen.  It's just a matter of how bad and how often.  

He got lit up in college more than once and yet didn't get injured 

Again it's not like the NFL is full of head hunting 220 pound safeties waiting to light him up.

220 pound safeties are playing LB now and if teams are dumb enough to put a lb on smith have at it And if he goes into a zone where a 220 pound LB is I'll take Smith to avoid that lb in that match up as well.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

And he's still under contract for 7 more years. 

There was a guy in here that openly said he sucked............................oh yeah that was me. All he has going for him is his meanie face. 

*Every* Prospect is a risk.

Just looking at the WRs, Chase struggled to get off press and separate, Waddle had injury concerns and some route-running issues, Smith had size concerns, Bateman has no "special" skill that can he win with meaning he has to figure out what his go-to is at the next level. 

There should simply be less questions the earlier you pick. 

4 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Again it's not like the NFL is full of head hunting 220 pound safeties waiting to light him up.

220 pound safeties are playing LB now and if teams are dumb enough to put a lb on smith have at it And if he goes into a zone where a 220 pound LB is I'll take Smith to avoid that lb in that match up as well.

Line up the toddlers guys the game has changed.

8 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Not to mention, the rules don't exactly allow head hunting, etc.  Receivers today have the best world ever.  Physical play has really been limited by rules.

15 minutes ago, greend said:

you miss the part where I said you made the catch and then turned around and wham!!!

An offensive players job is not to avoid hits it's to gain yardage and score. That said, big people beat up little people.

Wham!!! Happens far less in the NFL than it used to.

Smith isn't going to have 220 pound safeties head hunting him, 220 pound safeties play LB now.

The league has made a concerted effort to legislate out high impact collisions on qbs and receivers  as a result Wham hits are far less frequent which in turn has led to smaller faster defenders to counter the rules that limit contact as such the guys that smith will be being tackled by will be smaller, lighter than those of the past which in theory should decrease Injury which is what the nfl hopes as paying millions of dollars for guys to sit in the tub is a bad investment.

Wham hits used to be profitable to the league as it generated Interest in the game not so much anymore scoring, big offensive plays and players who make big plays are profitable and they are more profitable when they aren't Injured.

The league would benefit from a wildly popular heisman winner at a premium position on a big market team not being hurt, the rules in today's games are meant to keep offensive players on the field not romanticize big hits Wham.

So yeah I didn't miss the wham part I just dont think it's as big a contributing factor as it used to be 

10 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Not to mention, the rules don't exactly allow head hunting, etc.  Receivers today have the best world ever.  Physical play has really been limited by rules.

Yup is why I think a guy like tutu atwell 150 lbs gets drafted in the 3rd round and Grimes at 220 goes undrafted.

5 years ago no GM would have touched a 150 pound WR yet here we are where in today's NFL the towel boy might have a chance by😁

22 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I always thought he was over rated as a HC. 

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

I always thought he was over rated as a HC. 

Yup he took the team dungy built won a super bowl then ran the franchise into the ground.

Not sure why he's so highly thought of as a coach 

I like him as a commentator as a head coach he's average at best.

30 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

That cloud never stood a chance.  It's true though.  My neighbor's 10 year old kid spends hours dancing and doing stupid crap in front of his phone outside.  I feel embarrassed for him but he doesn't know any better.  He does some silly 10 second dance, grabs the phone, looks at it, puts the phone down and does it again.  All the time.  

there is a kid in my little town that sits a tripod up at an intersection light and does flips and jumps in front of his camera , that's how much attention he needs.

Guest justrelax
1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Yup he took the team dungy built won a super bowl then ran the franchise into the ground.

Not sure why he's so highly thought of as a coach 

I like him as a commentator as a head coach he's average at best.

He was terrific when he was here, but he wasn't the head coach.

Peter Principle.

28 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Didn't they give him a piece of the franchise too?  :lol:

That hire felt like such a publicity stunt.  Hey, we're moving to Las Vegas so let's get this former coach turned TV personality back here and spike up those ratings!

Archived