EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

I’m starting to get the impression that Howie is better at building something from the ashes than he is at maintaining a competitive team.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

What player on the current roster would they NOT trade for a first?

The list is probably cox mailata johnson brooks kelce reagor and smith. Your starting 5 lineman, your two starting receivers of the future and the only player on defense that can contribute in the next 2-3 years.

1 minute ago, devpool said:

The list is probably cox mailata johnson brooks kelce reagor and smith. Your starting 5 lineman, your two starting receivers of the future and the only player on defense that can contribute in the next 2-3 years.

Only player on the team they wouldn't trade for a first is Devonta Smith.  Everyone else is likely fairgame at this point if a team was offering a first. 

11 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:
I have to admit, as much as I am loath praise Howie, I think he had a very good draft. Devonta Smith is a stud, and Landon Dickerson is a monster. If healthy, he's going to be one of the 3 best OGs in football for a decade. A multiple time Pro Bowler. I don't think they reached on any picks and Williams and Gainwell were solid picks. I would've taken a chance on Trey Smith in the 6th round, since Brooks and Kelce might both be gone in a year, but if the blood clot thing really is that much of a concern, then whatever.

The Eagles with 3 potential first round picks are actually positioned pretty well. If they trade for Watson next offseason, then I will eat all the crow in the world with Howie, because right now I'd have to call the Eagles the favorites to land him. Legal issues not withstanding. They have the most draft capital, and several insiders have said Howie is willing to go all-in for him. And the other rumored teams in the mix(Niners and Bears) already filled their QB holes. The other rumored team in Miami gave their first round pick to the Eagles, and they own the Niners, who will likely bounce back to being an elite NFC team again. So if the Colts pick conveys, the Eagles likely will have all 3 first rounders better than Miami's pick. The Eagles have to be clear-cut favorites. And I don't think Watson will use his no trade clause after this legal drama he's dealing with. He'll likely be a good soldier and go to whatever team wants him. It'll be a bad look for him being snobby after dealing with all this stuff.

If Howie essentially gets Watson and Devonta Smith with that trade down from 6, it'll be the best move he's ever made as a GM, and that includes any moves he made in the 2017 offseason. And I'll give him all the credit in the world for it.

Trust still needs to be earned though, but this was a good start on their part. If they are able to land Watson a year from now, things will be looking very good for the Eagles future.

Right now I'm enjoying my time off from sports, I really needed it and still do. It was causing me more anxiety than it was bringing me joy. Got a lot of home improvement stuff done I've been dying to get done and have finally started up on this stack of books that I've been dying to read. Mostly World War 2 stuff for now. Skipped the draft for the first time in like 20 years, and woke up the next day with some texts from friends on their picks and I was pretty shocked they ended up getting Devonta. I thought for sure they'd have stood pat and took a Kwity Paye or something lame. Good for him. Good things happen when you don't get cute and go BPA, eh?

Hope everyone enjoys their summer, because it looks like you'll actually be able to this year. Things opening up!

In all seriousness, nice to see you're in a positive state of mind and enjoying your time reading and working on things around the home.  That's my Spring/Summer plan as well, mostly yard work.  Working outside while listening to music I enjoy is a nice way to spend a day. 

We'll see what we got come September.  Most of us aren't expecting much and are just more curious to see how the new HC and staff, the rookies, and how the holdover players do in a new system.  A look at the Eagles possible jumping off point going forward.  Low expectations, but curiously optimistic. 

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Only player on the team they wouldn't trade for a first is Devonta Smith.  Everyone else is likely fairgame at this point if a team was offering a first. 

At some point it makes zero sense to do that. Why trade mailata, a young guy who has proven he can start in this league and play well, for a pick that turns into God knows what? He and smith are the only young players that for sure should not be traded under any circumstance.

Then you have the issue of leadership in the locker room which no one here can attest to. So there's likely a pretty good list of players they would not trade for a first for those reasons.

45 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I’m starting to get the impression that Howie is better at building something from the ashes than he is at maintaining a competitive team.

It's easier to build from nothing than to maintain.

10 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

It's easier to build from nothing than to maintain.

False.

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:
I have to admit, as much as I am loath praise Howie, I think he had a very good draft. Devonta Smith is a stud, and Landon Dickerson is a monster. If healthy, he's going to be one of the 3 best OGs in football for a decade. A multiple time Pro Bowler. I don't think they reached on any picks and Williams and Gainwell were solid picks. I would've taken a chance on Trey Smith in the 6th round, since Brooks and Kelce might both be gone in a year, but if the blood clot thing really is that much of a concern, then whatever.

The Eagles with 3 potential first round picks are actually positioned pretty well. If they trade for Watson next offseason, then I will eat all the crow in the world with Howie, because right now I'd have to call the Eagles the favorites to land him. Legal issues not withstanding. They have the most draft capital, and several insiders have said Howie is willing to go all-in for him. And the other rumored teams in the mix(Niners and Bears) already filled their QB holes. The other rumored team in Miami gave their first round pick to the Eagles, and they own the Niners, who will likely bounce back to being an elite NFC team again. So if the Colts pick conveys, the Eagles likely will have all 3 first rounders better than Miami's pick. The Eagles have to be clear-cut favorites. And I don't think Watson will use his no trade clause after this legal drama he's dealing with. He'll likely be a good soldier and go to whatever team wants him. It'll be a bad look for him being snobby after dealing with all this stuff.

If Howie essentially gets Watson and Devonta Smith with that trade down from 6, it'll be the best move he's ever made as a GM, and that includes any moves he made in the 2017 offseason. And I'll give him all the credit in the world for it.

Trust still needs to be earned though, but this was a good start on their part. If they are able to land Watson a year from now, things will be looking very good for the Eagles future.

Right now I'm enjoying my time off from sports, I really needed it and still do. It was causing me more anxiety than it was bringing me joy. Got a lot of home improvement stuff done I've been dying to get done and have finally started up on this stack of books that I've been dying to read. Mostly World War 2 stuff for now. Skipped the draft for the first time in like 20 years, and woke up the next day with some texts from friends on their picks and I was pretty shocked they ended up getting Devonta. I thought for sure they'd have stood pat and took a Kwity Paye or something lame. Good for him. Good things happen when you don't get cute and go BPA, eh?

Hope everyone enjoys their summer, because it looks like you'll actually be able to this year. Things opening up!

If we can somehow go from Wentz and Alshon to Watson and Smith in a single calendar year, I would give Howie all the props.

34 minutes ago, devpool said:

At some point it makes zero sense to do that. Why trade mailata, a young guy who has proven he can start in this league and play well, for a pick that turns into God knows what? He and smith are the only young players that for sure should not be traded under any circumstance.

Then you have the issue of leadership in the locker room which no one here can attest to. So there's likely a pretty good list of players they would not trade for a first for those reasons.

Hypothetically, money.

If you think Mailata is a starting OT but doesn't get over the hump to be an elite player, then you might say the saved cap space plus a reasonably high chance at an equal level player from the first round pick is worth more than just Mailata.

Not how I view the situation -- I'm probably his biggest proponent on the EMB -- but that would be the argument, and I'll be honest and admit there is a legitimate argument to be made in that regard. Mailata's value is in what he might become. Because as of right now I'd rather have a first round pick than him at his current level of play for the next 5 years. Especially when we have Dillard and our QB situation is still up in the air.

10 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

And he's still under contract for 7 more years. 

GTD at $10M a year too.

7 hours ago, Casey @ Bat said:

Totally disagree. He came back on an injured ankle for the end of a lousy season, then had surgery on it when season ended.

Bad season - yup. Didn’t care - nonsense.

He’s  still a solid player. Why give him away for a pick that probably won’t make team anyhow. He’s one of our 2 best tight ends and if he walks next year he’ll bring a comp pick that’ll be the equivalent of a trade.

Tape is forever...his complete lack of effort outside of 1 game is there for everyone to view.

52 minutes ago, TEW said:

Hypothetically, money.

If you think Mailata is a starting OT but doesn't get over the hump to be an elite player, then you might say the saved cap space plus a reasonably high chance at an equal level player from the first round pick is worth more than just Mailata.

Not how I view the situation -- I'm probably his biggest proponent on the EMB -- but that would be the argument, and I'll be honest and admit there is a legitimate argument to be made in that regard. Mailata's value is in what he might become. Because as of right now I'd rather have a first round pick than him at his current level of play for the next 5 years. Especially when we have Dillard and our QB situation is still up in the air.

Fair, but mailata has shown more than dillard has in 3 years. Blame injuries or whatever, but dillard isn't really a reason to feel good about trading mailata. Add in that while mailata has been good, he hasn't been good enough to command a ton of money. They can lock him up on a bridge contract for a lower hit soon during which time he can either get really good or plateau and they can move on.

The money aspect is really close to negligible considering age and he has proven to be, at the very least, a capable starting LT and any first round pick you get isn't guaranteed to be anything. Plus the salary you may save isn't really a lot. IMO mailata is closer to a no-move player than anyone on this team not named devonta smith, all things considered.

4 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Kerryon Johnson is worth kicking the tires on, but he pretty much lost all his explosiveness with a bunch of knee injuries. It’s sad. He looked like a good player. 

He would immediately be our best pass protector. 

I looooooooooooooved kerryon Johnson when he came out three years ago. The injuries have just killed his explosiveness. He actually played all 16 games this year but really the lions didn’t give him many touches and he didn’t look very good for most of the season when he actually did. If the eagles didn’t bring back Howard and draft gainwell I’d totally be for it just to see what he looks like in camp. It’s amazing he’s only 23 and he’s going into his 4th season. 

2 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

What player on the current roster would they NOT trade for a first?

smith and probably mailata. I think anyone else would likely be fair game. I love fletcher but he’s also 31 and likely he had 2 prime peak years left. I’d hate trading cox but the first is more valuable to getting where we need to be and the roster that’s needed in 2023. I’d deal kelce, brooks and lane if offered a first cause by 2023 i think kelce is retired, brooks and lane likely on the decline. 

26 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

smith and probably mailata. I think anyone else would likely be fair game. I love fletcher but he’s also 31 and likely he had 2 prime peak years left. I’d hate trading cox but the first is more valuable to getting where we need to be and the roster that’s needed in 2023. I’d deal kelce, brooks and lane if offered a first cause by 2023 i think kelce is retired, brooks and lane likely on the decline. 

Agreed. I think Cox could still be a candidate for trade. I mean if they really are in on a true rebuild then if they got a big offer for him they would be stupid to not consider and accept it. 

On 5/5/2021 at 9:29 AM, Iggles_Phan said:

That's a very real concern.  He needs to be coached to throw the ball.

I’m open to him succeeding. Last season he only completed 52%, sacked 13 times in 4 games for -59 yds, 4 picks, fumbled 9 losing 2. He has a lot of areas to improve on as well as developing the will to win. 52% really, really sucks

22 minutes ago, The guy in France said:

I’m open to him succeeding. Last season he only completed 52%, sacked 13 times in 4 games for -59 yds, 4 picks, fumbled 9 losing 2. He has a lot of areas to improve on as well as developing the will to win. 52% really, really sucks

But I think in his defense he did throw a lot away. I don't know the exact numbers but I do remember him throwing a lot away so that probably impacted him by a few %. He does absolutely need to work on his accuracy though. 

4 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Yeah, I think it depends on the first round pick being offered. Most of the roster would be available for a first now but for several they would need to know which actual pick it was - example I don't think they trade Reagor now for an unknown first but before the draft next year - top 5 - top 10 ...

Add me to the group who thinks maintaining success is more difficult for a GM than the initial building. It doesn't take a great GM to draft well in the top 5, or to bring in decent FAs after you've shed cap. Having a great feel for your team and what it needs with less resources to improve, while making difficult roster decisions, is definitely more difficult. You have to be a step ahead all of the time. 

11 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Yes we can talk about how insane that is! He had less drops in double the targets over Chase! That's how insane it is.

Must watch on Trevon Grimes. How this guy went undrafted is unbelievable. Love the way pushes himself to be great. 

14 hours ago, justrelax said:

Hey! That's an improvement.

Yup

13 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Packing up the car to head to Myrtle for a long weekend.  

To summarize.  Big people beat up little people.  Fist bumps are overrated.  Bitcoin or whatever it is.  Injuries?  PSssssshhhh.  What’s the big deal?  Pork isn’t BBQ   

enjoy

Archived