EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hot take: Eagles win NFCE this year. Hotter take, they win a playoff game too. Fire away.

3 hours ago, NCiggles said:

Actually the opposite appears to be true for the receiver position: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/weight-and-injuries 

Weight-031518-2.png

I think there's an argument that there's not enough information for less than 170lbs receivers. The trend does seem upward below 170 but doesn't seem greater than it would be for Kyle Pitts if Pitts is playing WR primarily.  

Sure, and equally dramatically drops the injury rate if Pitts is a TE.  So, it's clearly not specifically about the size, but what you are asked to do at that given size.   A 230 lb TE seems very unlikely to be injured, but at 230 lbs, a WR is nearly twice as likely. 

Meanwhile, while there is limited data for under 170, the trend sure seems to be that as you move further away from the mean, the injury rate increases... both on the upper side and lower side.   So, maybe being 'outside the norm' is a bit of a cautionary tale and carries a bit of inherent risk after all.  

Some interesting trends here though.  The bigger the LB, the more injury prone.   The bigger the OL, the more injury prone as well, until you get to the ridiculously big.

Just now, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Hot take: Eagles win NFCE this year. Hotter take, they win a playoff game too. Fire away.

spacer.png

Guest justrelax
34 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Just got my 2nd shot. No one cares but thought I’d share anyway. 

Carry on. 

I care. 

37 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

What do you guys think of Tyree Jackson?  He's the TE we signed to a futures contract who is making switch from QB to TE.  He's 6 foot 7 and a little over 250 pounds.

He ran a 4.59 40 at the combine.  I looked at the last 3 combines and there was only like 7 or 8 guys (Tight Ends) who were faster and here are some of those names

Kittle
Evan Engram
Fant
Giseki
OJ Howard

I've talked about him before, it's not just straight line speed, he's a great athlete.

He choose to make the conversion on his own, running QB with a strong arm but lacked the instincts to make it there, but he was smart enough to see the handwriting on the wall instead of wasting three years bouncing around practice squads. As a QB, he has an advantage in the passing game, and probably has good hands, but blocking will be an adventure for a while.

Our new TE coach helped develop Alie-Cox, a former basketball player, at TE, so he's got experience with projects.

26 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

And so begins the twitterverse comments making James the victim here. 

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I've talked about him before, it's not just straight line speed, he's a great athlete.

He choose to make the conversion on his own, running QB with a strong arm but lacked the instincts to make it there, but he was smart enough to see the handwriting on the wall instead of wasting three years bouncing around practice squads. As a QB, he has an advantage in the passing game, and probably has good hands, but blocking will be an adventure for a while.

Our new TE coach helped develop Alie-Cox, a former basketball player, at TE, so he's got experience with projects.

Washington is well on their way to making Logan Thomas a top TE in the NFL.  Jackson is every bit the athlete he is.  I have higher hopes in Jackson than I do Butler. 

24 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

It's not impossible, they should have a top OL, more weapons on offense.

Problem is Gannon will probably have to walk on water to get that defense into the top half. It's gonna take a miracle!

7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

One of the best shows ever made.  

7 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Yup.  This is the league flexing their muscle back at the Union about the OTA boycotts, which is why it was a silly thing for the union to make a big deal about.   It leaves the players vulnerable and hurts the fringe players that just go along the most.   

1 hour ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

8-9 could get it done. Then if they get the right matchup, sure. If Rodgers is really done in Green Bay then the Bucs are the only real bad matchup and we expect they’ll run away with the #1 seed. 

I think the Rams will be the next best team. 

2 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

8-9 could get it done. Then if they get the right matchup, sure. If Rodgers is really done in Green Bay then the Bucs are the only real bad matchup and we expect they’ll run away with the #1 seed. 

Yeah I have a good feeling about this team really competing next year but this year can’t be completely written off with the state of the NFCE. Could see a deep playoff run in 2023 if next years draft goes well.

14 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Bucs would be the only real bad matchup?  Every team last year year was a bad matchup for the Eagles.  The offense should provide us fans some excitement this season (hopefully) but the only people with any sort of real worthwhile experience are along the oline.  We are likely at least a year away before this offensive unit starts to carry a team on it's back deep into the playoffs.  

Our secondary right now is massive concern and will hold this team back unless Howie has some trick up his sleeve to bring some average to above average CB back in an Ertz trade or something.  

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Carry on. 

Good job, man. But, tomorrow might be tough. The day after I got the 2nd one, I had to sleep like 18 hours. It was like being drunk with sleepiness.  On Day 2 of the Draft, I was basically sleeping off and on during the whole draft.   I got the Moderna.  Hopefully, you don't have that.  

Eagles are likely between a 5-12 team to a 8-9 team.  Cowboys with Dak alone can win 10 games in a 17 game season.  That offense is loaded and experienced.  Redskins are going to have a dominant defense with that vicious dline and Fitspatrick is just going to go out there and wing it deep to these speedy WRs who our DBs won't be able to cover down the field.  I don't buy the hype of the Giants at all though.  I think we should be able to finish ahead of them.  

Redskins should probably be the best team in the division based on that defense but the QB situation might ultimately cost them the division.  

The Lions are cutting Keryon Johnson.  I know he's been hurt but I would bring him in in a heartbeat. 

The Eagles in 2021 have both a low floor and a low ceiling. A ceiling of 9 wins is not "good". 

'The most well-informed and obnoxious'. -my Man

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

The Lions are cutting Keryon Johnson.  I know he's been hurt but I would bring him in in a heartbeat. 

Not sure we want to bump Gainwell down. Not sure Johnson wants to come be RB3.

Id love to have him over Scott, but realistically dont think thats happening. Just get me a CB already!

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Sure, and equally dramatically drops the injury rate if Pitts is a TE.  So, it's clearly not specifically about the size, but what you are asked to do at that given size.   A 230 lb TE seems very unlikely to be injured, but at 230 lbs, a WR is nearly twice as likely. 

Meanwhile, while there is limited data for under 170, the trend sure seems to be that as you move further away from the mean, the injury rate increases... both on the upper side and lower side.   So, maybe being 'outside the norm' is a bit of a cautionary tale and carries a bit of inherent risk after all.  

Some interesting trends here though.  The bigger the LB, the more injury prone.   The bigger the OL, the more injury prone as well, until you get to the ridiculously big.

These smaller wrs get injured more as they get into their 30’s more than anything from what I’ve noticed.  Guys like djax and Steve smith from Carolina for example.  We’re able to stay fairly healthy early on.  They and fast and wiggly and hard to target able to avoid big hits. You look at these little guys and wonder how they survive out there but they have developed a survival instinct since street ball and high school.  

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Carry on. 

Hope your reaction is mild.

40 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Bucs would be the only real bad matchup?  Every team last year year was a bad matchup for the Eagles.  The offense should provide us fans some excitement this season (hopefully) but the only people with any sort of real worthwhile experience are along the oline.  We are likely at least a year away before this offensive unit starts to carry a team on it's back deep into the playoffs.  

Our secondary right now is massive concern and will hold this team back unless Howie has some trick up his sleeve to bring some average to above average CB back in an Ertz trade or something.  

Who is great in the NFC? Packers and Saints are losing their QB. The Rams nor Seahawks scare me the way the Packers and Saints did in 2020. 

Do I think the Eagles win squat this year? No. Is it POSSIBLE to win the division and a playoff game. Sure. The competition isn’t great. 

You really like to argue over nothing. 

Howie was on Rich Eisen's show today.

Archived