EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

10 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Verified

Jalen Hurts has been working out with his young weapons Miles Sanders, Dallas Goedert, John Hightower, Jalen Reagor

When are they going to work out with Joe Flacco who the organization is trying to act like is competing for the starting job? 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

When are they going to work out with Joe Flacco who the organization is trying to act like is competing for the starting job? 

When are you going to accept that Nick Foles won the franchise it’s only Super Bowl? 

You wanted to start Sudfeld 

24 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I was very vocal about not wanting Smith but now that he's an Eagle I'm watching his highlights not to nitpick his size anymore but to enjoy what he is.  His NCG highlights showcase everything he does well.  One thing I will say is Alabama was super creative in getting him the ball.  I hope this new, young Eagles staff really brings a new outlook to play calling and getting the ball in their playmakers hands.

The catch at 3:00...we haven't had a guy who can make that catch in I don't know how long.

I always questioned his speed because he just doesn't look blazing fast despite dusting almost everyone.  Perfect example of this is his 2nd touchdown at the 4:00 mark.  That's Sevyn Banks, who we should be studying for the 1st round next year, trying to keep up.  He SHOULD have the angle on him coming right down the goal line but Smith just consistently gets by guys.  It's amazing to watch.

I'm really getting excited to see not only how his game translates to the NFL but how he elevate the game of the other WR.  It was fun to hear how the Bama WR would fight over which routes they would run on any given play.   He's used to playing with the best and getting the best out of his teammates.  If he can do that with Reagor, Watkins and Hightower...look out.

Smith was the right pick. The guy is a special player. Sure, he could end up being average, but it was the right choice. 

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

The norm? What you say is the norm isn't the norm and you haven't shown that it is where as I've given you examples of 3 players with comparable weight who played at least 5 years in the league and between those 3 players one suffered a concussion on a helmet to helmet cheap shot and that's it. 

You are telling me that a 166 lb WR is not outside the norm for WRs in the NFL?   Really?   No, the 'norm' for a WR in the NFL is roughly 200lbs.  I am pretty sure that there have been only 3 players drafted at the WR position under 170 lbs before Smith in recent history.  

But to play along for a minute... Pinkston was over 15 lbs heavier. - That's roughly 9% bigger than Smith.
GLew was 20 lbs heavier.  12% bigger.
DJax was 9 lbs heavier.  That's the closest.  But still more than 5% bigger.   

But, carry on.   I mentioned that I wasn't worried about Smith and injuries, but he is outside the norm of WRs in the NFL.  To argue anything different is disingenuous.

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

Please, claiming a straw man is taters most over used phrase when some one doesn't agree with someone's point or can't refute it.

You're a smart guy you can figure out the clip is about 1:30 of actual " highlights" I'm pretty sure you can deduce Which plays Pinkston was contacted by a defender.😒

And you should also notice that he was never hurt due to contact, did he shy away from contact? Sure, yet let's not pretend he never took a hit or wasnt tackled and spent all 5 of his seasons never being tackled.

Try not being passive aggressive to make a point.

No, MAKING a straw man argument is the Taters favorite way to deflect criticism.  You said, "and you say, not good enough I want a clip of Pinkston going Earl campbell on someone..."   Nope, never said it, never implied it, never even thought it.   That's a classical straw man.   

To clarify... you made a claim, about those 3 never getting hurt from contact.   It was incorrect with DJax.  Pinkston was not physical and got out muscled all the time (so did DJax, interestingly enough when a team wanted to commit to jamming him consistently).   And GLewis' career was not something we should be looking for out of a first round top 10 pick.  8 years for under 2k yards is good?  No, that's 'meh'.  GLew was a JAG. Averaged 250 yards, 1 TD per season over those 8 years.   

I didn't make a counter to the injury claim, but you made an inaccurate statement regarding the non-injury status of DJax.  He was injured by contact, contrary to your claim.   My point was DJax was hurt by contact on at least two occasions, likely more, as he's missed a lot of games over his career.  And, I mentioned Pinkston's weakness and affinity to avoid contact.  I should not have said 'always', but 'often'.  You want to celebrate Pinky, go ahead.  He was an underachieving WR that under performed in the playoffs and went missing in the Super Bowl because of "cramps".  And his career ended after 5 years.  Averaged just over 500 yards and about 3 TDs per season.  

I posted the morning after the draft about not being worried about Smith's injury status.  So, arguing about his durability isn't really the discussion I was having with you.  So, you carry on the good fight.  I'm done discussing this with you.  Have a good night.

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Agreed.

Everything really hinges on Hurts. My only concern is that his legs and revamped offense are enough to win 7 games. Like you said, worst case scenario is that middle of the pack finish where you aren't certain of his ability as the long term starter. He needs to either have a breakout season where he shows extreme growth as a passer or we need to tank.

That's a very real concern.  He needs to be coached to throw the ball.

10 hours ago, Couch Potato said:

What about this UDFA guy, Kayode Awosika?

I'm very surprised he wasn't drafted, and he looks a real nice ball of clay for Stoutland.

With that pad level I’d pay to watch Chase Young push him into the Delaware River

48 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I was very vocal about not wanting Smith but now that he's an Eagle I'm watching his highlights not to nitpick his size anymore but to enjoy what he is.  His NCG highlights showcase everything he does well.  One thing I will say is Alabama was super creative in getting him the ball.  I hope this new, young Eagles staff really brings a new outlook to play calling and getting the ball in their playmakers hands.

The catch at 3:00...we haven't had a guy who can make that catch in I don't know how long.

I always questioned his speed because he just doesn't look blazing fast despite dusting almost everyone.  Perfect example of this is his 2nd touchdown at the 4:00 mark.  That's Sevyn Banks, who we should be studying for the 1st round next year, trying to keep up.  He SHOULD have the angle on him coming right down the goal line but Smith just consistently gets by guys.  It's amazing to watch.

I'm really getting excited to see not only how his game translates to the NFL but how he elevate the game of the other WR.  It was fun to hear how the Bama WR would fight over which routes they would run on any given play.   He's used to playing with the best and getting the best out of his teammates.  If he can do that with Reagor, Watkins and Hightower...look out.

He's so smooth it's hard to tell he has different gears.  He's also so good at stacking the CB once he has them beat it forces them to play through him.  Just watch when he gets a step on someone on a go route.  He'll almost immediately get them on his back.  He's just such a nuanced player he makes it look easy.

The Phillies' bullpen sucks. Again.

Flyers suck. They let Crosby just b-slap them with no retaliation.

5 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

The Phillies' bullpen sucks. Again.

Flyers suck. They let Crosby just b-slap them with no retaliation.

Pretty sure G is a eunuch now so not surprising.  They really need new leadership on that team.

1 hour ago, blindside said:

This is most certainly a 6-7 win team. And even if he shows out, like a 8-9 win team. 

I'm not as sure. New coaching staff, new offensive and defensive playbooks, key players a year older, Hurts still a huge question mark, etc.  Too many variables to be certain of anything, really.

1 minute ago, Green_Guinness said:

Pretty sure G is a eunuch now so not surprising.  They really need new leadership on that team.

The vets have been a major disappointment.

Giroux is grossly overrated.

Voracek is a turnover machine.

Hayes looks indifferent.

7 minutes ago, TEW said:

I'm not as sure. New coaching staff, new offensive and defensive playbooks, key players a year older, Hurts still a huge question mark, etc.  Too many variables to be certain of anything, really.

And the boycott of OTAs might be a bigger deal for a new scheme on both sides being installed.   They might get out of the gate very slow.  OR, they might jump on people as their opponents won't have a book on them yet.  

3 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You are telling me that a 166 lb WR is not outside the norm for WRs in the NFL?   Really?   No, the 'norm' for a WR in the NFL is roughly 200lbs.  I am pretty sure that there have been only 3 players drafted at the WR position under 170 lbs before Smith in recent history.  

But to play along for a minute... Pinkston was over 15 lbs heavier. - That's roughly 9% bigger than Smith.
GLew was 20 lbs heavier.  12% bigger.
DJax was 9 lbs heavier.  That's the closest.  But still more than 5% bigger.   

But, carry on.   I mentioned that I wasn't worried about Smith and injuries, but he is outside the norm of WRs in the NFL.  To argue anything different is disingenuous.

No, MAKING a straw man argument is the Taters favorite way to deflect criticism.  You said, "and you say, not good enough I want a clip of Pinkston going Earl campbell on someone..."   Nope, never said it, never implied it, never even thought it.   That's a classical straw man.   

To clarify... you made a claim, about those 3 never getting hurt from contact.   It was incorrect with DJax.  Pinkston was not physical and got out muscled all the time (so did DJax, interestingly enough when a team wanted to commit to jamming him consistently).   And GLewis' career was not something we should be looking for out of a first round top 10 pick.  8 years for under 2k yards is good?  No, that's 'meh'.  GLew was a JAG. Averaged 250 yards, 1 TD per season over those 8 years.   

I didn't make a counter to the injury claim, but you made an inaccurate statement regarding the non-injury status of DJax.  He was injured by contact, contrary to your claim.   My point was DJax was hurt by contact on at least two occasions, likely more, as he's missed a lot of games over his career.  And, I mentioned Pinkston's weakness and affinity to avoid contact.  I should not have said 'always', but 'often'.  You want to celebrate Pinky, go ahead.  He was an underachieving WR that under performed in the playoffs and went missing in the Super Bowl because of "cramps".  And his career ended after 5 years.  Averaged just over 500 yards and about 3 TDs per season.  

I posted the morning after the draft about not being worried about Smith's injury status.  So, arguing about his durability isn't really the discussion I was having with you.  So, you carry on the good fight.  I'm done discussing this with you.  Have a good night.

You are using arguments that have nothing that have nothing to do with the original argument that I responded to that devonta Smith wont make it through a season because of his weight 

Pinkston was drafted at 168 lbs at almost 3 inches taller than smith, at year give he was listed around 180 but was closer to 175.

Pinkstons aversion for contact has no bearing on the topic at hand, the topic being whether or not his slight frame increased his propensity for Injury 

As for Glew not sure where you are getting that he was 20 lbs heavier, when drafted he was about 165 lbs, he put on a bit of weight over the years but still never 20 lbs unless you believe Dave. Having said that whether he was a good receiver or not or whether he had a good career and his stats are beside the point as well, no one is arguing stats and effectiveness at certain weights just propensity to get injured or not, that's all were talking about.

As for djax you Are correct he suffered a concussion on a cheap shot helmet to helmet hit, if he had weighed 200 lbs he still most likely gets a concussion, him being 175 lbs wasn't a leading factor in the concussion and either was the broken leg he suffered at the age of 30+ he was on the ground when he got cheap shotted and his leg got caught in the turf and bent back, nothing to do with him weighing 175 lbs.

So I'll stand by what I have maintained, when comparing 3 eagles with similar frames to smith none of them sustained serious injury because they were too skinny.

You want to berate Pinkston go for it, low hanging fruit. 

Have a good night I'm going to go back to watching star wars may the 4th be with you!

4 hours ago, Utebird said:

Yes everybody has seen the play above where mcnabb throws Pinkston a hospital ball and he makes a business decision, I even mentioned it a few posts before and it's sad that's all people remember of Pinkston.

Why would you want to see play of Pinkston running head on into contact, offensive players are taught to avoid getting tackled.

Having said that go find a clip of say where Pinkston caught one of those stupid stop passes Reid used to toss him where he gets the ball at the LOS then get easily pushed out if bounds after a 5 yard gain. Plenty of those he was going head on with a corner straight at them, 5 yard gains on quick stop patterns don't normally make highlight reels though, even then if you are expecting you 170lb WR to truck people that's on you, adjust your unrealistic expectations.

Pinky aint trucking no one, either is smith Desean Glew harrison or any other slight WR.

You can't justify this man...that's a play you expect a WR to at least attempt to catch the ball.  That wasn't a hospital ball, that was a normal deep pass.  A hospital ball is what Kolb did to Jackson when he got killed by Robinson against Atlanta.

If Smith doesn't dominate in the NFL, it will be because he did not separate as well as he did in college, not because of his size.  If he does separate the way he did in college, it won't matter.

And if he loses that, then sure, he's in trouble.

2 hours ago, hputenis said:

Looks like Under Armour should have a longer limit on the length of shorts for men.  

Looks like Hurts and Goedert need to be shown the inside of a gym actually.

26 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Goedert looking a little puffy, no?

Why would they include Goedert slowing down, throwing his hands up in confusion, then catching the ball. Was that the best they had playing catch together? 

I saw some stuff quoted in here about a Dickerson but wasn’t sure if the link was dropped in. Good read on what scouts had to say about our picks and UDFAs. (Notable that McPhearson was picked right around where McGinn’s anonymous scouts had him among corners)

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/5/4/22419374/nfl-draft-2021-eagles-anonymous-scouts-picks-class-udfa-signings-devonta-smith-kenny-gainwell-rumors

:roll: I think you might be overanalyzing that video.  

Interesting note on Dickerson I think the ACL's were in different knees which is better than the same knee. I had heard it both ways but Les looked into it and said it was different knees

1 hour ago, Wentz_Era said:

You can't justify this man...that's a play you expect a WR to at least attempt to catch the ball.  That wasn't a hospital ball, that was a normal deep pass.  A hospital ball is what Kolb did to Jackson when he got killed by Robinson against Atlanta.

Yup he should have made a better attempt at catching the ball and he would have gotten lit up by clark.

Pinkston punked out on that pass the throw was a bit late, Pinkston after said he lost the ball in the lights which is debateable but what he said.

Having said that the majority of eagles fans remember that play when Pinkston is brought up and act like that's all he was was that one play 

Pinkston was average at best, in the end he was a disappointment and he still had some big plays and was part of some really good eagle teams.

Having said that Smith is much more polished talented and tougher.

3 hours ago, Desertbirds said:

The vets have been a major disappointment.

Giroux is grossly overrated.

Voracek is a turnover machine.

Hayes looks indifferent.

On hayes i disliked that contract when they gave it to him. They overpaid him to get him to come to the Flyers and i dont think he was worth what he was getting paid. He hasn’t been awful or bad i just think that contract the deeper you get into it will begin to be more of a hindrance than living up to the contract.

they need new player leadership. It’s been the same consistent thing for an entire decade now. The Flyers are the first team in all 4 major American pro sports to alternate make playoffs and then miss the playoffs for an entire decade. 

7 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Awosika makes this team as a guard. 

Idk i think he’s a practice squad guy. I think the eagles keep 9 OL. Got mailata, seumalo, kelce, brooks and lane. Dillard, Driscoll and Dickerson are pretty much locks to make the team imo. I think the eagles like Herbig. So that’s 9. Unless Dickerson starts on PUP. Maybe they go 10 OL but he’s competing with opeta and juriga who have been here and stoutland has worked with them and likely just better players at the moment. I tend to think he is a guy they’d love to have on PS. 

Archived