EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

24 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

One last thing about Herbig...one of these things is not like the other.  Interesting to say the least.

Jalen Hurts

Miles Sanders

Jalen Reagor

John Hightower 

Nate Herbig

Uhhhhhhhh, what?

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That would be running the ball.  With Lowie calling the shots, I wouldn't hold your breathe.  

Read option all day. 

3 minutes ago, macgregor said:

Why does having a valuable player they know may be worth a higher price to another team than their own have to mean that they want to get rid of him? They can AFFORD to trade Ertz. That doesn't mean they want to. And that certainly doesn't mean they want to release him. Restructure maybe. But I'm sick to my stomach how many people devalue our receivers and tight ends simply because our QB turned into JeMarcus Russel. Some of y'all better root for the Colts because if Wentz really sucks, that 1st rounder isn't the only thing in jeopardy. So is your entire assessment of 2020.

Wentz didn't turn into JeMarcus just because of the fat contract. It was that, and then bringing in a QB2 that can win games. Like with McNabb, that wasn't going to happen without him skating out his contract. Because while the team may be for competition, the QB wants sole power once he has that guaranteed money. He wants the power to slack off. Next time a star player insists on huge guaranteed money, I say trade him. It's not about trust; it's about who is the boss.

Ertz gave no effort last season; he put his contract squabble ahead of the team.  

Howie would do well to get a 5th round pick for him.  I’m fine with dumping him for the cap savings; he’s getting older and declining.  Most of the veteran guys like Cox, Graham, Lane, Kelce, Brooks still have value to the Eagles.  After last season I don’t think Ertz does

Just now, Alphagrand said:

Ertz gave no effort last season; he put his contract squabble ahead of the team.  

Howie would do well to get a 5th round pick for him.  I’m fine with dumping him for the cap savings; he’s getting older and declining.  Most of the veteran guys like Cox, Graham, Lane, Kelce, Brooks still have value to the Eagles.  After last season I don’t think Ertz does

You're saying Ertz leadership affected Carson? Whatever dude.

Just now, macgregor said:

You're saying Ertz leadership affected Carson? Whatever dude.

I’m saying Carson is irrelevant other than the draft pick the Eagles get in return.

The Eagles don’t want to keep Ertz and Ertz doesn’t want to return.

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Uhhhhhhhh, what?

You have a quarterback and skill position players....and Herbig.  

Is Herbig running routes?  Kick stepping while Hurts drops back?  Covering Godert?

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

This is my obligatory "I told you so" post for this week.  I was roasted when I said we should trade after the 2019 season.  Roasted in the Blog.....hmmmmmm

Hell with all these slackers on the field, i guess Carson had no choice.

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

You have a quarterback and skill position players....and Herbig.  

Is Herbig running routes?  Kick stepping while Hurts drops back?  Covering Godert?

Ok? So what’s interesting and what do the players you listed have to do with Herbig? 

7 minutes ago, macgregor said:

Why does having a valuable player they know may be worth a higher price to another team than their own have to mean that they want to get rid of him? They can AFFORD to trade Ertz. That doesn't mean they want to. And that certainly doesn't mean they want to release him. Restructure maybe. But I'm sick to my stomach how many people devalue our receivers and tight ends simply because our QB turned into JeMarcus Russel. Some of y'all better root for the Colts because if Wentz really sucks, that 1st rounder isn't the only thing in jeopardy. So is your entire assessment of 2020.

Wentz didn't turn into JeMarcus just because of the fat contract. It was that, and then bringing in a QB2 that can win games. Like with McNabb, that wasn't going to happen without him skating out his contract. Because while the team may be for competition, the QB wants sole power once he has that guaranteed money. He wants the power to slack off. Next time a star player insists on huge guaranteed money, I say trade him. It's not about trust; it's about who is the boss.

I agree.  The team should never pay players big money.  I want a team of hungry underdogs.  I mean even early round picks think they deserve millions of dollars.  My philosophy would be to trade out of any pick before the 5th round.  I would rather have a team of UDFAs, 6th and 7th rounders that feel lucky to earn a spot than a bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks that think because they are talented and good football players that improve the team they should get paid like it.  

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Mean gun toting bible thumping redneck is gone.

I must be dense. I'll definitely move on though.

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I agree.  The team should never pay players big money.  I want a team of hungry underdogs.  I mean even early round picks think they deserve millions of dollars.  My philosophy would be to trade out of any pick before the 5th round.  I would rather have a team of UDFAs, 6th and 7th rounders that feel lucky to earn a spot than a bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks that think because they are talented and good football players that improve the team they should get paid like it.  

What happens when you get lucky and get a Brady in the 6th?

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Ok? So what’s interesting and what do the players you listed have to do with Herbig? 

Usually when a quarterback is hosting players to workout, it's all skill position players.

It makes sense that Hurts has Reagor, Hightower, Goedert and Sanders there working out.

I just find it interesting that Herbig is out there with them.  

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

I'm okay with paying them big money, just not guaranteeing a whole lot of it.

Just now, bpac55 said:

Usually when a quarterback is hosting players to workout, it's all skill position players.

It makes sense that Hurts has Reagor, Hightower, Goedert and Sanders there working out.

I just find it interesting that Herbig is out there with them.  

Oh, my bad. I didn't read or see anything about Herbig being there with them. I had no idea where you were going with that.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Ahhhhh.  Ok my turn.

Cell Phone

Wallet

Wall Paper

Keys

Money

GO!

Carson.

Wentz.

BAD!

5 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

image.gif.feeb8c49bd1d0f036c413f3efb782f1f.gif

14 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Why is it silly?

Jamal Jackson undrafted starter, bubba miller undrafted, starter, Artis Hicks undrafted starter traded to vikings for picks.

I realize those are the exceptions not the rule and it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Herbig could develop into a serviceable starter.

It's not silly on the grounds of him being a udfa, it's silly on the grounds that I do not think he's a starting quality athlete.  He's not easy to toss around, but he is barely athletic enough to get out of his stance.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Oh, my bad. I didn't read or see anything about Herbig being there with them. I had no idea where you were going with that.

It does look like Herbig is at least snapping the ball

16 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That's all anecdotal not supported by "data", which you keep saying like it makes your point more validated.  You used an example of 2 guys from the last 20 years.  Issac Bruce was 20 lbs heavier than Smith is now, like IP said that's 12% heavier.  That's a huge difference when talking about a man who is 166 lbs.  Marvin Harrison played at around 12 lbs heavier (7%).  You can't find many examples of a WR weighing 166 lbs succeeding in the NFL.  Much less being drafted as high as Smith was.  Because they don't exist.  To try and downplay the injury concern, that comes with Devonta Smith in NFL, is just being naive.  

I think you'd have to dig deeper, weight is going to be correlated with usage, that is, bigger WRs will have less burst and run underneath routes where they get lite up, bigger LBs will often be MLBs or SLBs where they spend more time in the trenches, bigger RBs will be power backs running through the OL, and so on.

And lighter players may learn to avoid or manage contact early in their careers, players who are significantly bigger than their peers in HS and college may develop bad habits because they feel they're invincible, then find out in the NFL that big athletic guys are a dime a dozen.

Smith is working with Nelson Agholor for some reason 

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

It does look like Herbig is at least snapping the ball

Hurts is his personal trainer.

I’m channeling my old man yelling at cloud energy real hard here but I don’t understand the point in filming and reporting every single workout, especially with a guy shoving a cell phone in his face during. This is coming off as kinda fake. Every other QB is doing the same stuff and they don’t blast it out every single day 

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That's all anecdotal not supported by "data", which you keep saying like it makes your point more validated.  You used an example of 2 guys from the last 20 years.  Issac Bruce was 20 lbs heavier than Smith is now, like IP said that's 12% heavier.  That's a huge difference when talking about a man who is 166 lbs.  Marvin Harrison played at around 12 lbs heavier (7%).  You can't find many examples of a WR weighing 166 lbs succeeding in the NFL.  Much less being drafted as high as Smith was.  Because they don't exist.  To try and downplay the injury concern, that comes with Devonta Smith in NFL, is just being naive.  

Bruce was 173 lbs at his combine. He put on a few pounds over the years but not much.

Pinkston was 168 and 3 inches taller than smith when drafted Glew 165 when drafted. Desean 168 at pro day 

Again not one of those players was Injured due to weight.

One can talk about success and that's not part of the equation we are simple solely talking about propensity of injury compared to weight.

Whether or not smith will be able to be effective off the LOS scrimmage or not being bumped off his route or at the catch point or after the catch due to his slight frame isn't the argument 

The argument is that him weighing 166 pounds will lead to him being Injury prone. there is no concrete evidence or anecdotal to suggest that is the case and til someone can show me other wise  I will continue to believe it's not a factor 

Few hundred years ago people believed the earth was flat, yet scientific evidence has disproved what was once common sense.

If there is data that has shown that WRs below the average weight of WRs in today's NFL are more Injury prone than WRs above or at the league ave I've yet to see it.

If anything just from simple observation I would assume that  faster and smaller WRs seem to suffer more soft tissue Injuries hamstring pulls ect than structural injuries, broken bones torn ACLs ect sustained by larger WRs.

Who knows though football is rough every player no matter size gets hurt at some point no matter how big or small 

13 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I wanted to trade Ertz 2 years ago back when we could have picked up a true haul.  But that's water under the bridge.

I personally don't feel qualified to say that Ertz gave no effort last season.  He has always been a quiet, soft spoken player...not a fiery guy.  His game, on the field, is all about smooth finesse, not much explosion to it.  He was often criticized for that as a younger player.  Also, he doesn't block well and no one could deliver him the ball...so that rendered him pretty useless, especially when asked to stay in and block.

So I don't really think Ertz just mailed it in on the team.  Peters?  Now there's someone who tarnished his legacy.

14 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

It's not silly on the grounds of him being a udfa, it's silly on the grounds that I do not think he's a starting quality athlete.  He's not easy to toss around, but he is barely athletic enough to get out of his stance.

Maybe the reported lost weight will help 

He had some good tape last year,I get he's a big pile of goo and yet despite that still functional.

Herbig was the least of the eagles OL problems last season.

Can he be functional enough to be a consistent starter??? I dont know, we'll see how the new slimmed down Herbig looks.

Archived