EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

17 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Awosika makes this team as a guard. 

I'd rather him than pryor, pryor is awful.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Utebird said:

I'd rather him than pryor, pryor is awful.

Mailata, Seumalo, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson

Dillard, Herbig, Dickerson, Driscoll

Unlikely to be room for anyone else minus a major injury taking place.

23 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Yeah agreed. Apparently Herbig has dropped some weight too which is encouraging! 

2 hours ago, T-1000 said:

I think they keep Toth around too.  Otherwise this O-Line seems set baring any trades.

One more thing regarding the O-Line.  Seumalo IMO is the weak link.  We've talked for years about once Kelce retires, Seumalo slides to center.  With Dickerson in the fold, that doesn't appear to be the case anymore.  I'm one of few if not the only one that actually thinks Herbig has a chance to be a decent OG in the league.  Hearing that he's lost a ton of weight tells me that he's taking things serious.  For as sloppy as his body was, he did some OK things last year.  Clearly a ton of work to do but I don't think Herbig was the problem with the O-Line last year, if anything, he was the one constant.  

If you trade Seumalo, Herbig can step in at LG until Dickerson is healthy and good to go this year.  Then next year maybe you have Mailata, Herbig, Dickerson, Brooks, Johsnon.

It's a shame that Dillard can't kick in to guard.  If he could, you could look to move Brooks and your OG could be Herbig and Dillard.  

Could Seumalo be a post June 1 trade chip?  I'm not suggesting they do so or saying I want to just looking at assets the Eagles have.  I can see him being dealt if a team loses a guard to an injury.  

Left tan column is the dead cap, far right is the cap savings if traded post-June 1.

2021 📝 28 $990,000 $2,018,000   $0   $3,008,000 1.5%  
$2,018,000
$990,000
2022 29 $5,650,000 $2,018,000   $0   $7,668,000 3.8%  
$2,018,000
$5,650,000
2023 30 Void $2,018,000   Void   $3,838,000 1.7%  
$2,018,000
$1,820,000
2024 31 Void $1,218,000   Void   $0 0.0%  
$1,218,000
($1,218,000)
2025 32 Void $602,000   Void   $0 --  
$602,000
($602,000)

Before anyone complains and says Herbig sucks or why would you trade a starter, these are just early morning thoughts during a dead time for the league.  IMO, one of the fun things about following the NFL/Eagles and actually being a part of this board is to discuss different ideas on how to improve or change the makeup of a team.

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

One more thing regarding the O-Line.  Seumalo IMO is the weak link.  We've talked for years about once Kelce retires, Seumalo slides to center.  With Dickerson in the fold, that doesn't appear to be the case anymore.  I'm one of few if not the only one that actually thinks Herbig has a chance to be a decent OG in the league.  Hearing that he's lost a ton of weight tells me that he's taking things serious.  For as sloppy as his body was, he did some OK things last year.  Clearly a ton of work to do but I don't think Herbig was the problem with the O-Line last year, if anything, he was the one constant.  

If you trade Seumalo, Herbig can step in at LG until Dickerson is healthy and good to go this year.  Then next year maybe you have Mailata, Herbig, Dickerson, Brooks, Johsnon.

It's a shame that Dillard can't kick in to guard.  If he could, you could look to move Brooks and your OG could be Herbig and Dillard.  

Could Seumalo be a post June 1 trade chip?  I'm not suggesting they do so or saying I want to just looking at assets the Eagles have.  I can see him being dealt if a team loses a guard to an injury.  

Left tan column is the dead cap, far right is the cap savings if traded post-June 1.

$2,018,000
$990,000
$2,018,000
$5,650,000
$2,018,000
$1,820,000
$1,218,000
($1,218,000)
$602,000
($602,000)

Before anyone complains and says Herbig sucks or why would you trade a starter, these are just early morning thoughts during a dead time for the league.  IMO, one of the fun things about following the NFL/Eagles and actually being a part of this board is to discuss different ideas on how to improve or change the makeup of a team.

Terrible idea. Seumalo is fine. 

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

$2,018,000
$990,000
$2,018,000
$5,650,000
$2,018,000
$1,820,000
$1,218,000
($1,218,000)
$602,000
($602,000)

Herbig sucks 

31 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Terrible idea. Seumalo is fine. 

Seumalo is the least of our concerns. He has been a solid player. Most teams would love to have a player like him. We are spoiled and creates people to come up with bad ideas. 

i hate to say it but Brooks is your weak link that will need to go by next season. I love the player but he is a cap problem and esp for a player that cant stay on the field. i know Dickerson has had injury issues in the past but we are not paying him top dollar. I actually like our Depth on the line. I liked what I saw out of Herbig at OG and Driscoll at both OT and OG last year. I like the growth of Malita. Im the minority but Dillard did fine his rookie season at LT in the few games he played. It was RT that was the issue. I'd like to see him get those reps to see what this kid has. 

Oline is about being on the same page with your peers. We see it every year that the oline sucks(no matter who is playing). But once they get a few games together and get on page, they just gel and look like one of the best Olines in the league. Last year we couldnt get to that point with the line changing every week. If we can get that consistency with even one of the back ups in there I like the way our line is shaping up. 

That consistency is also why I do not believe in sitting your starters during the preseason. They need those reps to get in sync before the season. That was something I never could stand about Doug was his preseason and practice habits. Hopefully we see a change in that with Nick/Gannon

Herbig does not suck.  He's a young player who was thrown in to the starting lineup before he was ready.  He improved as a player as the year went on.  I suggest taking 10 minutes to watch this tape.  Great breakdowns by Thomas Peterson.  

Here is Nate Herbig in his 2nd career start...against Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers.  He holds his own.  Donald does some Donald things but for his 2nd career start, I'm OK with this

Now here he is at the end of the year against the Redskins.  Keep in mind in week 2 he had Lane Johnson on his right, in week 17 he had Matt Toth.  He more than held his own against Daron Payne.  

7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Herbig does not suck.  He's a young player who was thrown in to the starting lineup before he was ready.  He improved as a player as the year went on.  I suggest taking 10 minutes to watch this tape.  Great breakdowns by Thomas Peterson.  

Here is Nate Herbig in his 2nd career start...against Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers.  He holds his own.  Donald does some Donald things but for his 2nd career start, I'm OK with this

Now here he is at the end of the year against the Redskins.  Keep in mind in week 2 he had Lane Johnson on his right, in week 17 he had Matt Toth.  He more than held his own against Daron Payne.  

Thanks for the reminder about this kid completely forgot about him during the off season with everything else.

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

$2,018,000
$990,000
$2,018,000
$5,650,000
$2,018,000
$1,820,000
$1,218,000
($1,218,000)
$602,000
($602,000)

I'm still trying to figure out who ends up where when Kelce goes.  Is Dickerson a better NFL fit at guard or center?  Same for Seumalo?  Some articles about Dickerson project him as a guard.

Herbig is a work in progress, let's see how he progresses.

Pryor was better as a rookie than last year when he regressed.

There's no reason Driscoll can't play guard, in fact, his arms are a bit short for RT but if he adds strength he could be a very good guard.

Toth was Army, and lacked strength when he came out, so he should be much improved with a full offseason. Opeta showed flashes last year.

But there's no reason to rush to judgment right now, that's why you have TC.

If some young OL step up, then you can think about trading people for late round picks.

2 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I'm still trying to figure out who ends up where when Kelce goes.  Is Dickerson a better NFL fit at guard or center?  Same for Seumalo?  Some articles about Dickerson project him as a guard.

My personal opinion is that I like smaller, more nimble centers.  Dickerson could be a mauler at LG.  IF Mailata continues improving and IF Dickerson stays healthy, that's a HUGE, MEAN left side of the line.  

The downside to putting Dickerson at LG is that the hope is we found our center to replace Kelce and the search continues. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah agreed. Apparently Herbig has dropped some weight too which is encouraging! 

Yeah Herbig was decent last year, he can play all 3 Interior positions, his weight kept him from being as mobile as one would like so hopefully with the lost weight he can be more effective.

40 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

He sucks 

Nate Herbig is a decent backup OL. He's not horrible. He's not good. He'll beat out more UDFAs. He'll lose out to talented draft picks in the upcoming years. It's fine.

26 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

My personal opinion is that I like smaller, more nimble centers.  Dickerson could be a mauler at LG.  IF Mailata continues improving and IF Dickerson stays healthy, that's a HUGE, MEAN left side of the line.  

The downside to putting Dickerson at LG is that the hope is we found our center to replace Kelce and the search continues. 

I think that's Seumalo.  I know you aren't the biggest fan, but he has been decent and fairly durable.  I think the biggest OLine challenge will be ultimately replacing Brooks and then Lane.  Its a right side issue.. That future line of Dillard, Dickerson, Seumalo, ________, Mailata could be good as a start, but who is the right guard? And can Dillard play (I think so)?

3 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I think that's Seumalo.  I know you aren't the biggest fan, but he has been decent and fairly durable.  I think the biggest OLine challenge will be ultimately replacing Brooks and then Lane.  Its a right side issue.. That future line of Dillard, Dickerson, Seumalo, ________, Mailata could be good as a start, but who is the right guard? And can Dillard play (I think so)?

Oh, I have no issues with Seumalo at all.  I was merely putting a scenario out there looking at him as a trade asset because of Dickerson/Herbig/Driscoll.  

If Seumalo can be the center and Dickerson is the LG I'm all for it. 

I think this guy looks at players and teams the way we do and does a fine analysis of every teams draft by division while looking at their current roster. He still is an amateur like the rest of us but puts a lot more time into it. He liked our draft while admitting doubt in Howie’s more recent drafts. Again he does every team by division

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Oh, I have no issues with Seumalo at all.  I was merely putting a scenario out there looking at him as a trade asset because of Dickerson/Herbig/Driscoll.  

No matter which one ends up where, I think the idea of Dillard, Seumalo, Dickerson from Center to LT is OK.   Kelce isn't an easy replace, just like Brooks, Lane, and Peters (LT version) won't be.  Many Eagles fans don't really understand how good that line was for a long time.  

Interesting comment by Avant...

He said Sirianni’s offense will be far more WR friendly in that there will be more sight adjustments. In a WCO scheme, it’s more timing based and on the WR to be where the QB needs them. On Sirianni’s, it’s more on the QB to make the necessary adjustment to what the WR sees. 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

He said Sirianni’s offense will be far more WR friendly in that there will be more sight adjustments. In a WCO scheme, it’s more timing based and on the WR to be where the QB needs them. On Sirianni’s, it’s more on the QB to make the necessary adjustment to what the WR sees. 

I just hope they can cater the offense to the best players’ strengths. That’s what the best coaches do. 

57 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I dont understand how G is over rated. I think he;s top 3 in points since he came into the season. Probably going to be a hall of famer. Everyone outside of negaldelphia loves him and speaks highly of him.

But he has literally never played with anyone of skill. ANYONE! He was stuck with Voracek his entire career who is awful

He has played with Carter, Briere, Gagne, Hartnell, Simmonds, Schenn, Jagr, Coots, Timmons, Pronger...he has been a good player but never one that can carry a team.  Only scored 30 plus goals once but that was his 102 point season - his only 100 point season- but it was a great one.  I've loved him but understand he is 2nd-3rd tier compared to his contemporaries.  Really good player though. 

16 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

In 2022 I'd have zero problems with an interior line of seumalo dickerson Herbig no matter where the 3 line up 

All 3 can play the 3 IOL positions, will come down to where Stoutland thinks all 3 fit.

There has been chatter that FO is looking to move Brooks sooner than later and with kelces likely retirement after this season those positions will need replacing and it will be nice to have guys that have experience.

Not sure if dickerson plays this year due to injury I could see howie either pup him or IR him though it would be nice to get him some reps before starting him next year.

As for Driscoll I'm not sure??? I like him but like herbigs size at OG and  driscoll doesn't really have ideal length at OT. I could see him as the 6th Lineman who can play RT And OG.

12 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Hurts may not have the strongest arm but he seems to be a qb who can command an offense and manage a game, which I think Siriani is going to expect him to do 

Will be nice to see an offense that isnt so vanilla and predictable.

Archived