EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

17 hours ago, Original Sin said:

That's the risk of not working out at the facility.  It's part of the CBA.  I think it would only be problematic if the injury was sustained when a facility was shut down due to the pandemic. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Go look at Jalen Hurts’ college stats. Completion percentage in the high 60’s. He wins games. Fix the OLIne and give him a chance to adjust his reads, progression, and timing at this level. 

So if he can't adjust to the reads and timing at the NFL level what do you do? 

50 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Howie had say over who started over Doug Pederson but you're going to think a position coach has say over Howie? 

I don't think I have heard that from anyone.  I think he had say on the active roster on game days but I don't think he was telling Doug who to start.  

35 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I just got my 2nd Moderna.  Hoping that doesn't happen to me, but the first one made my arm hurt so bad that I couldn't lay on it.

I’m 18 hours past my 2nd shot now. So far, just a tad sore, but no flu like symptoms yet. As far as feeling ill, I feel perfectly normal. Good luck to you too. 

Guest justrelax
4 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

So if he can't adjust to the reads and timing at the NFL level what do you do? 

Get another QB, Ask a silly question, get a silly answer.

46 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Yep. 

I make no secret of my belief that Hurts will be a good QB. Set that aside for the moment, though, and look at how much of the offense has been rebuilt. A lot of young OL, fast receivers, RB depth. We've gone from one of the slowest offensive teams to a fast one, and with a boatload of draft picks to build the defense.

Could be worse and not long ago it was.

Even if Hurts were not on the roster and Wentz was still the QB, I think we would have the same if not more concern about the position.  Hurts is on a one year audition.  The team will be able to move on from him in the next 2 seasons and have assets to get a QB if he's not the guy.  

1 hour ago, DumbleBear said:

Well that's it. If the conclusion of the majority of the members of this "message" board is that Fletcher Cox is overpaid. 

Can't argue with a "Psycho Holiday" . Nor would I bother. Gotz to go. 

Btw, the reason why people love the "Internet" , "comments sections" , "random fake news reporters" , "our entertainment in chief" is because just when you think they can't be topped.

Here's what human beings never get. You don't pay Fletcher Cox. And you've never paid someone else I know hahahaha. 

OK so then "don't buy a ticket to the next __Elton John___ , ___Aerosmith___, ___PearlJam___ , ___DustinJeeper___,  ___WhizonmuhWifeKhalifa____ , ____MeatGoddessGaGa___ "

Show.  Who cares? 

Apparently not too many people pay for Pantera either, there's like 100 people tops in that crowd👎

Not to agree with Dum Dum Bear but I pay Fletcher Cox too.

1 hour ago, TEW said:

It’s not a handicap so much as it is lower expected value. But that’s more than compensated by already having an established team. Much easier to replace one or two players per year than build an entirely new roster.

Easier to find 'starters' when you have no quality on the roster.   

So, either you are right, or afan is right.  Afan has been talking about how Howie shouldn't be held responsible for the giant dumpster fire that became the salary cap, the lack of young talent, etc. because he had to do that to 'maintain the roster' at a Super Bowl contending level.  But, then you look at the bottom of the barrel teams... they don't have cap issues, they (normally) have a ton of draft capital, and finding a player to add that's 'better' than what they currently have is fairly simple, because what they have is not much. 

In other words, when you are at the bottom, there's no where to go but up.   When you are at the top, there's no where to go but down.   Yes, teams can maintain their status as laughingstocks.  Quite a few fit that narrative.  And a significant number.  But, others just bounce from the bottom to the top, then back down again.  Because maintaining that place at the very top of the pile is not easy.  Very few teams, by comparison are able to maintain that status for a significant length of time.    Hence, the statement, "Rebuilding is easier than maintaining."  Its proven by the way there are more teams that yo-yo up and down than teams that stay at the bottom of the barrel, and so few teams that can maintain their place at the elite level.   Check the history.  I made a falsifiable, objective statement.  Check the standings over the years and look at the number of teams that stay in the bottom 3rd year after year, the number of teams the bounce between bottom third, middle third and top third continually, and how many teams can actually maintain their status in the top third.   You choose whatever time frame you want.   Maybe 5 years, as that's the time that Howie and Doug had together.  Climbed the mountain and then came crashing down.  How many teams stay in the bottom third for those 5 years?  How many teams stay in the top third?  and How many teams bounce all over the place?    

25 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

I know the blog likes shirtless pics

His ankle is fine. 

Insane shape for a 300+ lb man. If that ankle holds up, he's still the best RT in the game. Lots of slander around here.

45 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

Better for us. 2 top 10 picks? :drool:

We can hope.

29 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Go look at Jalen Hurts’ college stats. Completion percentage in the high 60’s. He wins games. Fix the OLIne and give him a chance to adjust his reads, progression, and timing at this level. 

Success in college doesn't guarantee anything in the NFL.  Tim Tebow won games in college.  Ty Detmer put up huge numbers at BYU.  Don't scout the box score, or the score board.  Scout the player.

Hurts has a long way to go before he'd be considered top half of QBs in the NFL.  We'll see what he does this year.  New system, hopefully a full complement of NFL quality OL in front of him, and NFL weapons around him.  

15 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Get another QB, Ask a silly question, get a silly answer.

Thus far I see Hurts as a lower tier starter/high end backup, but it’s only been 4 games.  I also consider Hurts a first-year QB this season, not a second-year, so my expectations are guided by that thought process.

I expect him to be efficient, reduce the turnovers, run some but not by default, be reasonably accurate (62% ish), 2:1 TD/INT and 10-11 yards per completion.  I don’t want a dink-and-dunk offense, or simplified where they try to "shield” him from mistakes.  I’m not going to go by passing yards because, in a 17 game season, everyone and their dog should get over 4,000 yards passing.

If Hurts looks like a mid-tier starting QB this season (top 14-18) then the Eagles have something to work with, and can spend those high draft picks next season on other position players.  

29 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

I know the blog likes shirtless pics

His ankle is fine. 

Your premise does not lead to the conclusion.  It's a still picture.   It means nothing by itself.   Dickerson was seen doing cartwheels after his ACL in the background of the Mac Jones interview, and will still begin the offseason program as a 'limited participant'.  

Lane's ankle might be fine, but this picture means nothing.

Pretty Friggen ripped for a man his size. Him and Meat must workout together. Wait who took the picture?!?!

29 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I don't think I have heard that from anyone.  I think he had say on the active roster on game days but I don't think he was telling Doug who to start.  

He has to have a say on the active roster, b/c the last few slots require moving players around from the PS, exposing players to waivers, taking players off IR, etc.

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Success in college doesn't guarantee anything in the NFL.  Tim Tebow won games in college.  Ty Detmer put up huge numbers at BYU.  Don't scout the box score, or the score board.  Scout the player.

Hurts has a long way to go before he'd be considered top half of QBs in the NFL.  We'll see what he does this year.  New system, hopefully a full complement of NFL quality OL in front of him, and NFL weapons around him.  

Hurts has no excuses.

23 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Easier to find 'starters' when you have no quality on the roster.   

So, either you are right, or afan is right.  Afan has been talking about how Howie shouldn't be held responsible for the giant dumpster fire that became the salary cap, the lack of young talent, etc. because he had to do that to 'maintain the roster' at a Super Bowl contending level.  But, then you look at the bottom of the barrel teams... they don't have cap issues, they (normally) have a ton of draft capital, and finding a player to add that's 'better' than what they currently have is fairly simple, because what they have is not much. 

In other words, when you are at the bottom, there's no where to go but up.   When you are at the top, there's no where to go but down.   Yes, teams can maintain their status as laughingstocks.  Quite a few fit that narrative.  And a significant number.  But, others just bounce from the bottom to the top, then back down again.  Because maintaining that place at the very top of the pile is not easy.  Very few teams, by comparison are able to maintain that status for a significant length of time.    Hence, the statement, "Rebuilding is easier than maintaining."  Its proven by the way there are more teams that yo-yo up and down than teams that stay at the bottom of the barrel, and so few teams that can maintain their place at the elite level.   Check the history.  I made a falsifiable, objective statement.  Check the standings over the years and look at the number of teams that stay in the bottom 3rd year after year, the number of teams the bounce between bottom third, middle third and top third continually, and how many teams can actually maintain their status in the top third.   You choose whatever time frame you want.   Maybe 5 years, as that's the time that Howie and Doug had together.  Climbed the mountain and then came crashing down.  How many teams stay in the bottom third for those 5 years?  How many teams stay in the top third?  and How many teams bounce all over the place?    

You can stay up for a while IF you start at rock bottom and build a foundation, i.e., a large group of guys on their first contract, then pick and choose which ones to extend and replace the others over a period of years from the draft.

Howie in 2016 did the "short cut," built on the base of the 2012-13 drafts, added some key FAs, and had a 3-4 year window, but didn't have a large enough talent base to reload.

Which meant at some point, unless you're incredibly lucky in the draft (multiple later round starters), you're going to have to blow it up.

Now it probably should have been blown up after 2019, even Howie admits that, but "breaking up is so very hard to do." But it's hard to imagine any owner/GM not going for it in 2018 and 2019. Fortunately, 2020 was such a disaster that it had a similar impact as blowing the team up, picking #6, #37, #70 (the Slay trade and a couple extensions were the only cost of going for it one more season). Wentz was one of those things, it's hard to scout certain intangibles, some QBs rise to the challenge, others can't deal with the pressure of a city like Philadelphia.

The teams that stay bad don't know how to draft, they take the obvious players early, but blow most of their mid to later picks, hire bad coaches, lack continuity.

Howie's turned this team around twice, after two debacles, the "Dream Team" and "Team Chip." He's off to a good start his third time around.

We'll know if Sirianni was the right choice if a number of marginal players added last year, and some third day picks are developed into starters/solid reserves - because the most important edge in the NFL is not brilliant scheming, but the ability to recognize and develop "hidden gems" that augment your talent base. Some do it by teaching late rd picks/waiver wire guys, Belichick does it by taking other teams' trash and putting them in a position to succeed. Either way, you don't get enough high picks to build up a talent base before it erodes (or becomes too expensive to sign to second contracts).

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I just got my 2nd Moderna.  Hoping that doesn't happen to me, but the first one made my arm hurt so bad that I couldn't lay on it.

My first one it was a touch sore, but I slept on it with no issues.  Tetanus shot was far worse for me in regards to soreness.

22 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Insane shape for a 300+ lb man. If that ankle holds up, he's still the best RT in the game. Lots of slander around here.

I don't think any body doubts Lanes ability on the field it's his availability that is in doubt, and as the saying goes the best ability is availability.

Just now, austinfan said:

YOu can stay up for a while IF you start at rock bottom and build a foundation, i.e., a large group of guys on their first contract, then pick and choose which ones to extend and replace the others over a period of years from the draft.

I never said that it was impossible.  The entire argument I made was that it is MORE likely a team will bounce than sustain.  Hence, the statement that it is easier to BUILD than to MAINTAIN.  

No one has yet to build a case against that.

26 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Who has slandered Johnson?  Please, provide a quote for this accusation.

56 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I do.

You're even more optimistic than I am. I'm still in "wait and see" mode.

But Hurts will have a fair chance to show that he can grow into the job this season, solid OL, enough skill players to work with.

And he has the right coaching staff, lot's of experience working with different styles of QBs, and a QB friendly scheme that puts a far greater emphasis on pass protection and route design to get receivers open quickly.

If he's in the top 20 of NFL starters as a passer, given that he's a developmental project, then I'd stick with him and see if he can improve further - his ability to run means he doesn't have to be a top 5 passer, if he can get to the 10-15 range his legs will make him elite as an offensive weapon.

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

They had weekly meetings with Doug on the plays he was running and determining his coaching staff and you don't think Howie was telling Doug who he should be playing? 

There is a reason Doug wanted out of here. 

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Howie in 2016 did the "short cut," built on the base of the 2012-13 drafts, added some key FAs, and had a 3-4 year window, but didn't have a large enough talent base to reload.

100% BS.  He didn't have the talent to sustain it because he failed in multiple drafts.  2016 draft, 1 of 8 players left on the roster.  2017 draft, 1 of 7 players left on the roster.  2018 you got Goedert, Sweat and Mailata, 2019 you got Sanders.  He then compounded his bad drafting by trading picks for mid season guys that did not stay with the team.  

2020 you draft the wrong receiver, a back up QB when your team is deficient at WR, LB and CB, a project LB in round 3, and a bunch of guys that do not look like they will be anything more than role players at best.  Then you duplicate 2017 problem this year by drafting a player with an extensive injury history.

And I do not understand the "short cut" built on the base of the 2012-13 drafts.  We got Cox, Johnson and Ertz from those drafts.  Our best defensive player, our second best offensive lineman.  Those drafts are as good as any draft since, especially considering one you add Foles, Kendricks, Curry you are talking about contributors to the Super Bowl.

And before you try to blame Chip, Douglas, or any member of multiple coaching staff, remember, the only constant in all of this is Howie Roseman.

Archived