EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

33 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

He actually said that, LOL

f2157b012f595444406df69db1fb0995.gif

The vikings gave up a first for Bradford, teams get desperate all the time. Dillard doesn't have a lot of tape but the few games he has played at LT weren't a disaster

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I hear that.  Your avatar agrees with me though.  :P 

Doug did too... but he wasn't afforded that time to fix his mess.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander, in my book.  

I think Doug chose his own path.

I haven't been following the MLB standings... the Phillies at 1 game over 0.500 are the only team over 0.500 in the division.  Wow.  Seems that the Phillies aren't the only team struggling to put together a string of wins.

Just now, greend said:

I think Doug chose his own path.

I think he did too.   I also think Howie dug his own grave.   But, Lurie disagreed.

I'm not into trading good players just to clear space.  You create a losing culture and those aren't so easy to emerge from.  Of course if the offer is something significant that's a different story but it rarely is in the nfl.  If the Eagles aren't competitive then this might be the year to trade guys in season where you can get that premium sometimes

27 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I'm not into trading good players just to clear space.  You create a losing culture and those aren't so easy to emerge from.  Of course if the offer is something significant that's a different story but it rarely is in the nfl.  If the Eagles aren't competitive then this might be the year to trade guys in season where you can get that premium sometimes

Agreed.  Certain players bring more value than their play on the field, but not all. Some are more a detriment than a benefit.    Kelce is a guy that absolutely brings far more positives than negatives to the team, so keeping him around to pass the baton on to Dickerson is a great move.  (He already put out his willingness to help him in any way he can.)  The flip side of that, cutting Jeffery loose was about more than his salary.  He was a good soldier in the euphoria of 2017, while on a 1 year deal.  He literally had every reason to be.  But then came 2018, the extension, the struggles, the anonymous reports, the backstabbing... and it carried through to 2020 where they were desperate to get him on the field and he produced a goose egg.   And we see right now that he sits out there as a free agent, and I've not heard even a rumor about him meeting with a single team.

Cox and Graham are the leaders on the defense.  McLeod doesn't count this year because he's likely to start on PUP.  Gotta be on the field to really be a positive.  So, it would cost a lot to pry them loose.   Offensively, the leadership is really just Kelce, Lane and Brooks.  The rest are too young or not built for it.   Hurts needs to focus on his game right now and not worry about leadership.  And he should be working with a QB coach type guru right now.  Throwing to his teammates is nice for camaraderie, but it does nothing for his ability to read a defense and make quick decisions.  It does nothing for his mechanics.  Hopefully that happens whether we hear about it or not.  Likely if it happens though, we'll hear.  That just seems to be the way with this generation.

28 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting doing it just to clear space or that the Eagles should be actively shopping these players.

However, if a team approached the Eagles and offered a 2022 3rd for Cox or BG, I'm taking it.  Give me a lottery ticket in a supposed LOADED draft over 1-2 more years of Cox or BG.  

Jevon Holland essentially replaces McCain. That's probably smart in the long-term, but won't make them better in 2021.

49 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I haven't been following the MLB standings... the Phillies at 1 game over 0.500 are the only team over 0.500 in the division.  Wow.  Seems that the Phillies aren't the only team struggling to put together a string of wins.

I think he did too.   I also think Howie dug his own grave.   But, Lurie disagreed.

Yes, but it could explain why Howie is still here but Doug is not. Likely Doug would not have been fired had he chose not to want to go

3 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

1 - your picks are earlier in every round.

2 - every position is a "need", so BPA vs need isnt even a major concern

3 - expectations are lower and marginal improvement is magnified

Besides Ive been informed countless times about how picking in the 20s is a handicap.  So if that is true... than picking earlier is an advantage.

It’s not a handicap so much as it is lower expected value. But that’s more than compensated by already having an established team. Much easier to replace one or two players per year than build an entirely new roster.

I really hate when we draft #32 overall. It seems like a second round pick. We need to avoid that, as well as drafting anywhere in the 20’s. We need to prioritize drafting higher at all costs.

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Because as a recent interview shows the Eagles are going to try to make Dillard at LT happen purely because he was selected in the first round. 

I don't want to trade Mailata but if someone offered the Eagles a first for them I'd bet you they would entertain it and likely do it. 

That interview means absolutely nothing.

Stoutland will decide who starts, and he won't make that decision until after training camp and 3 exhibition games.

And no, Howie doesn't dictate who starts based on draft position to save face, that's one of the sillier things I've read around here.

Howie is not going to diss one of his players who he might be looking to move in late August.

2 hours ago, greend said:

Look, I'm no Howie fan, that said it does give some insight into his train of thought.  The man did bring us a super bowl with some great decisions at the time.  In my book he has this year to clean up the mess he made.

Actually, he has three years, no one expects them to win this year, want to see improvement in 2022 and they should be competitive in 2023.

Off to a good start with a solid draft and collecting 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds in a loaded draft next spring.

10 minutes ago, austinfan said:

That interview means absolutely nothing.

Stoutland will decide who starts, and he won't make that decision until after training camp and 3 exhibition games.

And no, Howie doesn't dictate who starts based on draft position to save face, that's one of the sillier things I've read around here.

Howie is not going to diss one of his players who he might be looking to move in late August.

Howie had say over who started over Doug Pederson but you're going to think a position coach has say over Howie? 

Guest justrelax
13 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Actually, he has three years, no one expects them to win this year, want to see improvement in 2022 and they should be competitive in 2023.

Off to a good start with a solid draft and collecting 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds in a loaded draft next spring.

Yep. 

I make no secret of my belief that Hurts will be a good QB. Set that aside for the moment, though, and look at how much of the offense has been rebuilt. A lot of young OL, fast receivers, RB depth. We've gone from one of the slowest offensive teams to a fast one, and with a boatload of draft picks to build the defense.

Could be worse and not long ago it was.

Guest justrelax
9 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Howie had say over who started over Doug Pederson but you're going to think a position coach has say over Howie? 

Now you're being silly.

14 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

Good job, man. But, tomorrow might be tough. The day after I got the 2nd one, I had to sleep like 18 hours. It was like being drunk with sleepiness.  On Day 2 of the Draft, I was basically sleeping off and on during the whole draft.   I got the Moderna.  Hopefully, you don't have that.  

I just got my 2nd Moderna.  Hoping that doesn't happen to me, but the first one made my arm hurt so bad that I couldn't lay on it.

31 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

I really hate when we draft #32 overall. It seems like a second round pick. We need to avoid that, as well as drafting anywhere in the 20’s. We need to prioritize drafting higher at all costs.

I'd guess you are referring to the Colts pick that we get next year.  Our pick will be plenty early.

7 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Now you're being silly.

It was widely reported at the start of last season.  Roseman had final say over the GameDay roster. 

27 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I said in my book. 

14 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Yep. 

I make no secret of my belief that Hurts will be a good QB. Set that aside for the moment, though, and look at how much of the offense has been rebuilt. A lot of young OL, fast receivers, RB depth. We've gone from one of the slowest offensive teams to a fast one, and with a boatload of draft picks to build the defense.

Admittedly I don't spend much time here anymore so I know I miss a lot, but I'm surprised you believe that Hurts will be a good QB for this team...so let me ask a qualifier.  Do you expect he'll be good enough to the point that we don't need to look for a QB for the next 5 or so years?

15 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Yep. 

Honestly, I wouldn't say Hurts isn't a "good" quarterback. He needs to stop looking to run all the time and throw the ball. If he can overcome that obstacle and be accurate, he can be a good quarterback, so if the team is built right, we can win with a "good" quarterback.  

58 minutes ago, RLC said:

Jevon Holland essentially replaces McCain. That's probably smart in the long-term, but won't make them better in 2021.

Better for us. 2 top 10 picks? :drool:

Guest justrelax
16 minutes ago, purplefiggy said:

Admittedly I don't spend much time here anymore so I know I miss a lot, but I'm surprised you believe that Hurts will be a good QB for this team...so let me ask a qualifier.  Do you expect he'll be good enough to the point that we don't need to look for a QB for the next 5 or so years?

I do.

Go look at Jalen Hurts’ college stats. Completion percentage in the high 60’s. He wins games. Fix the OLIne and give him a chance to adjust his reads, progression, and timing at this level. 

Archived