EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

10 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Newton is a bonehead. Wentz is a wuss. Hurts wants it, like Russell Wilson wanted it. Grit counts for a lot and he has enough talent.

Nobody had more heart than Kurt Coleman, wanting it does not automatically make you better.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, justrelax said:

OTOH, if he does, a lot of people on this board will look like fools and Howie will look like a genius. That will be a bitter pill for some to swallow.

Not for me, I don't think he'll be good enough but I'll be glad to be wrong. Besides, I'm used to being a fool.

Kurt Coleman actually had a pretty good career, ended up starting 83 games, including for the 2015 Panthers who went 15-1 and lost the SB.

3rd on tackles for that team behind Kuechly and Davis.

13 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Newton is a bonehead. Wentz is a wuss. Hurts wants it, like Russell Wilson wanted it. Grit counts for a lot and he has enough talent.

I'll disagree with "Wentz is a wuss". 

22 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Any thought to the possibility that Hurts can be a version of Cam Newtown - not great at traditional quarterbacking, but adds other skills to make his team SB worthy?

This is the scenario that I see, but I believe Hurts isn't an idiot like Cam and I just hope he's smart enough to learn to throw more.

2 hours ago, RLC said:

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this. If Dallas doesn't accept our offer, they might take the Bears' offer and then the Giants take Smith. We'd then be stuck at 12 with Slater/Paye.

It easily could have been worse.

True...Dallas obviously valued 12 + our 3rd more than what Chicago was offering.

If our offer wasn’t on the table, I bet they take what the Giants took.  

Then we probably get stuck at 12 with no Smith.

22 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

And he isn't THAT old.  If JP's fat ass held up until 36-37, Lane should be good for another 5 years.  It's nice to talk about youth and I said I would trade Lane if someone offered a 3rd...he's the only one of the vets I probably wouldn't.  Assuming he holds up.

Some of the comments I read about him are batshit crazy. Trade him for a 3rd? There's like a 2% chance that pick is anywhere close to the quality of Lane. Insanity.

If you believe in Nick Sirianni as an offensive HC then you should have faith in Hurts to develop as a passer under him since he has a tremendous work ethic and drive to improve/succeed. 

1 minute ago, Saltpeter said:

Some of the comments I read about him are batshit crazy. Trade him for a 3rd? There's like a 2% chance that pick is anywhere close to the quality of Lane. Insanity.

The only way I trade Lane Johnson is if both Mailata and Dillard prove they are starting quality tackles.  

1 hour ago, Mike31mt said:

Im 100% fine with how the draft played out and I feel like people are overanalyzing using hindsight.

We got our guy, we could have what, 3 first rounders next year if everything falls our way?  Thats pretty darn good

People are freaking obsessed with "value" and picks and its annoying to me.  Some of you would have the Eagles trading back so much its like you want to corner the market and have 25 first round picks in the 2037 Draft.

We had a good draft, get over it

Hindsight? The Eagles knew what the Bears were offering. They knew they could move up to 10 with Dallas and then move down to 20.

I said all this on draft night. 

29 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The options are release or trade Ertz, 5 million in savings, or post June 1 release or trade him, 8.5 million in savings.  

Next option is sign Barnett to an extension and lower his cap number from 10 million to around 5 million.  But guess what, then he has an 8-9 million cap hit in 2022, and that puts you almost at zero for 2022 cap space.

The only other option is restructure someone else, not sure who, there is no one left to restructure that gets you the savings.

So by appearance to fans, options are limited.  Ertz trade hasn't happened. Eagles have shown no urgency there. 

Only other option left leaves them with supposedly 0 dollars next year. 

Not actually realistic scenarios,  but this is what you guys believe to the best of your knowledge.  If that doesn't tell you the best of your knowledge is not giving you a truly accurate picture,  I'm not sure what will. 

Truth is Howie has a better grasp on the cap than you are giving him credit for.  Brings me back to what I said.  I am not concerned about the cap with Howie in rebuild mode. He will have plenty of room. 

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Hindsight? The Eagles knew what the Bears were offering? They k we they could move up to 10 with Dallas and then moved down. 

Yeah i said the same thing as well. Add just cause you like/love smith doesn’t mean he’s has to be more valuable to others than a potential top 15 first rounder in 2022 in a better draft, the 20th overall pick and keeping 84 especially when this team is in a rebuild and needs a ton of players if the goal is being a contender in 2023. I like smith however i also understand some believe having 4 firsts in a BETTER draft class, 20th overall and keeping 84 might to be more valuable then just smith. And we had he discussion the night of the draft about this so hindsight is a load of crap because it was discussed at length that night  

7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Thoughts on how Scefter went about this?

Drums up excitement for ESPN TV coverage of the draft in case a blockbuster draft day trade happened.

Rookie minicamp — May 14-16

OTA workouts — May 25-27, June 2-4, June 14-17

Mandatory minicamp — June 8-10

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Hindsight? The Eagles knew what the Bears were offering? They k we they could move up to 10 with Dallas and then moved down. 

Fact is we have no clue what exactly was going down with the calls from the Bears, what the Cowboys would have done if we didnt offer the trade up option. But what we do know is we came out of the first round with an extra first rounder next year AND one of the best players in this draft by most scouts/analysts. So its done, and over with. Think in the end we did pretty good there. 

10 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Hindsight? The Eagles knew what the Bears were offering. They knew they could move up to 10 with Dallas and then move down to 20.

I'm very happy to have Smith.

We already have possibly 3 firsts next year.  Could been 4. At what point do you stop sacrificing from this year to get more? Giants got a prospect at 20 not close to Smith's talent level.  They paid a price for that pick. Was it worth it for us to pay such a price for another 1st when we already have 3?

Meh... Could go either way on that but I'm really happy to have Smith and 3 1sts.

1 minute ago, DeathByEagle said:

Fact is we have no clue what exactly was going down with the calls from the Bears, what the Cowboys would have done if we didnt offer the trade up option. But what we do know is we came out of the first round with an extra first rounder next year AND one of the best players in this draft by most scouts/analysts. So its done, and over with. Think in the end we did pretty good there. 

Of course, but I’m too lazy to type out "based on reports.”

8 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

So by appearance to fans, options are limited.  Ertz trade hasn't happened. Eagles have shown no urgency there. 

Only other option left leaves them with supposedly 0 dollars next year. 

Not actually realistic scenarios,  but this is what you guys believe to the best of your knowledge.  If that doesn't tell you the best of your knowledge is not giving you a truly accurate picture,  I'm not sure what will. 

Truth is Howie has a better grasp on the cap than you are giving him credit for.  Brings me back to what I said.  I am not concerned about the cap with Howie in rebuild mode. He will have plenty of room. 

I love how you discount anyone who has taken the time to actually learn about it, and forecast this situation a year ago.  I am not saying I am a cap guru, but hard to take anyone seriously in the discussion when all you got is " Howie ".  Have an original thought.

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

I'm very happy to have Smith.

We already have possibly 3 firsts next year.  Could been 4. At what point do you stop sacrificing from this year to get more? Giants got a prospect at 20 not close to Smith's talent level.  They paid a price for that pick. Was it worth it for us to pay such a price for another 1st when we already have 3?

Meh... Could go either way on that but I'm really happy to have Smith and 3 1sts.

We don’t have a QB. Four No. 1s next year is phenomenal ammo to get one. I think it’s a no-brainer over drafting a WR via trade up. 

41 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The options are release or trade Ertz, 5 million in savings, or post June 1 release or trade him, 8.5 million in savings.  

Next option is sign Barnett to an extension and lower his cap number from 10 million to around 5 million.  But guess what, then he has an 8-9 million cap hit in 2022, and that puts you almost at zero for 2022 cap space.

The only other option is restructure someone else, not sure who, there is no one left to restructure that gets you the savings.

They still will get some savings from Jeffery and Jackson's release. 

Cox and Johnson could get restructured but it would be a bad idea long term.

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

We don’t have a QB. Four No. 1s next year is phenomenal ammo to get one. I think it’s a no-brainer over drafting a WR via trade up. 

Well I dont think we need four firsts to get a QB. If Hurts sucks we wont need any extra firsts in most cases to move up for a QB. Also thats your view that Smith was a over draft. You have a right to that view. I liked Smith there and felt his value at10 was very good. I think Dolphins over drafted with Waddle, I felt he was a mid/late first rounder and Smith is the better player. But thats the best part, everyone can have a view. In  two years or so we can go back and see who;s view was more on point. 

20 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Thoughts on how Scefter went about this?

That's Schefters MO. He always drops stories/leaks/reports on big events or gamedays since he knows it will be the time it will spread the most. He did the same thing with Wentz, dropping stories on Sunday morning with half the people believing Wentz was a bad teammate for leaking something on gameday.

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

All the numbers I have been using are based on the June 1 savings from the Jeffrey and Jackson situations.

Cox already has dummy years in 2023 and 2024 with cap hits of 5 million and 1.5 million.  Do not need to add any more.

Johnson has cap hits starting in 2022, his age 32 season of 14 million, 21 million, 19 million and 20 million in 2025 when he will be 35 years old.  Already has a dummy cap hit in 2026 of 1.2 million.  Do you really want to add any future  money to that contract ?? 

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

All the numbers I have been using are based on the June 1 savings from the Jeffrey and Jackson situations.

Cox already has dummy years in 2023 and 2024 with cap hits of 5 million and 1.5 million.  Do not need to add any more.

Johnson has cap hits starting in 2022, his age 32 season of 14 million, 21 million, 19 million and 20 million in 2025 when he will be 35 years old.  Already has a dummy cap hit in 2026 of 1.2 million.  Do you really want to add any future  money to that contract ?? 

8 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Archived