EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

would be a bad idea long term.

I know.  I was reaffirming your point with the numbers.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Eagles have optionality at QB.

- Hurts could be good.
- We have 2 1sts next year to draft a QB.
- We have 2 1sts next year to trade for a QB. 

I feel good about the QB position long-term. Short-term? I have no idea how Hurts will do over a 17 game sample. 

17 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

We don’t have a QB. Four No. 1s next year is phenomenal ammo to get one. I think it’s a no-brainer over drafting a WR via trade up. 

3 #1s next year is plenty to get a QB.  If someone else has 4 to beat or offer (they don't) I guess we would miss out. And I don't want to trade 3 of them for anyone.  I'd rather just use 1 to get a QB and address other needs with the others. 

1 hour ago, justrelax said:

Newton is a bonehead. Wentz is a wuss. Hurts wants it, like Russell Wilson wanted it. Grit counts for a lot and he has enough talent.

Well now that I know he wants it, I feel all better.

Guest justrelax
57 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Nobody had more heart than Kurt Coleman, wanting it does not automatically make you better.

True, which is why I said he has enough talent. Without that, it doesn’t matter how much grit you have.

37 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Hindsight? The Eagles knew what the Bears were offering. They knew they could move up to 10 with Dallas and then move down to 20.

I said all this on draft night. 

Yes you did, and I was going to troll you by telling you that you were parroting what I was saying a week before the draft.

When I posted somewhat provocatively last night about Howie name dropping Dillard re the OL with the Mr. Roper smiley face (glad some posters jumped on it, btw) I neglected to include the information from the same interview with Howie where they asked him explicitly about the trade down with MIA from #6 to 12.

Howie’s response was, the reason they decided to make that trade with MIA was they evaluated they could pick up an additional first round pick AND still have a "difference maker” (his words) on the board at #12.  He said last season was a huge blow to everyone in the organization and the only benefit of picking where they were was the ability to get a difference maker in the draft.  Looking at how the draft played out in the top 10, I’m inclined to agree with Howie that Devonta Smith was the last difference maker available.

I was also waiting for Howie to pull the trigger on that deal with the Bears, but I just don’t think he could do it.  Can you imagine if Devonta Smith went to the Giants and put up the kind of season Justin Jefferson put in — then it comes to light after the draft that DAL would have traded back?  That’s the kind of stuff that’d get him put back in the basement 

Guest justrelax
57 minutes ago, greend said:

Not for me, I don't think he'll be good enough but I'll be glad to be wrong. Besides, I'm used to being a fool.

You and me both.

4 hours ago, greend said:

Pretty Friggen ripped for a man his size. Him and Meat must workout together. Wait who took the picture?!?!

Lane Johnson is all vegan I'm sure. 

22 minutes ago, RLC said:

The Eagles have optionality at QB.

- Hurts could be good.
- We have 2 1sts next year to draft a QB.
- We have 2 1sts next year to trade for a QB. 

I feel good about the QB position long-term. Short-term? I have no idea how Hurts will do over a 17 game sample. 

It’s. 17 game tryout.   With our d we can’t really expect to compete for much.  He has zero pressure in that regard so he needs to be relaxed and focused on building chemistry each an every week and improving throughout the season.     

NFL schedule gets released next week.

I predict the Eagles will have two MNF games and 1 at most SNF games but I'm thinking they might not even get a SNF game.

4 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

They had weekly meetings with Doug on the plays he was running and determining his coaching staff and you don't think Howie was telling Doug who he should be playing? 

There is a reason Doug wanted out of here. 

I'm sure he shared his opinion as did Lurie.  I don't think that means they were telling him who to play.  I mean it's not like Howie's calling down to the sideline in between plays or deciding reps at practice. 

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

Well I dont think we need four firsts to get a QB. If Hurts sucks we wont need any extra firsts in most cases to move up for a QB. Also thats your view that Smith was a over draft. You have a right to that view. I liked Smith there and felt his value at10 was very good. I think Dolphins over drafted with Waddle, I felt he was a mid/late first rounder and Smith is the better player. But thats the best part, everyone can have a view. In  two years or so we can go back and see who;s view was more on point. 

SF just used 3 1s to get a QB. Trading down twice to get us a third and fourth 1 would allow us to get a QB without crippling our draft capital. It was a perfect scenario for us. 

54 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

3 #1s next year is plenty to get a QB.  If someone else has 4 to beat or offer (they don't) I guess we would miss out. And I don't want to trade 3 of them for anyone.  I'd rather just use 1 to get a QB and address other needs with the others. 

You might not want to, but the Eagles might. We saw SF offer 3 1s, crippling their next two drafts. We could overpay with minimal pain. That kind of optionality is rare. 

40 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Yes you did, and I was going to troll you by telling you that you were parroting what I was saying a week before the draft.

When I posted somewhat provocatively last night about Howie name dropping Dillard re the OL with the Mr. Roper smiley face (glad some posters jumped on it, btw) I neglected to include the information from the same interview with Howie where they asked him explicitly about the trade down with MIA from #6 to 12.

Howie’s response was, the reason they decided to make that trade with MIA was they evaluated they could pick up an additional first round pick AND still have a "difference maker” (his words) on the board at #12.  He said last season was a huge blow to everyone in the organization and the only benefit of picking where they were was the ability to get a difference maker in the draft.  Looking at how the draft played out in the top 10, I’m inclined to agree with Howie that Devonta Smith was the last difference maker available.

I was also waiting for Howie to pull the trigger on that deal with the Bears, but I just don’t think he could do it.  Can you imagine if Devonta Smith went to the Giants and put up the kind of season Justin Jefferson put in — then it comes to light after the draft that DAL would have traded back?  That’s the kind of stuff that’d get him put back in the basement 

Scared money don’t make money. But I also don’t see Smith as a generational prospect either. 

Yeah, we have plenty of ammo to target whoever we want next year. Especially if the Colts pick does indeed turn into their 1st. 

Even if it doesn't....two 1st's, a 2nd and a 1st the next year doesn't add up to that bad of a hit.  I'd just hope there's a stud QB prospect worth it, and whoever ends up with 1 or 2 doesn't need him.

24 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

NFL schedule gets released next week.

I predict the Eagles will have two MNF games and 1 at most SNF games but I'm thinking they might not even get a SNF game.

There will be an Eagles Cowboys game on SNF. 

52 minutes ago, justrelax said:

True, which is why I said he has enough talent. Without that, it doesn’t matter how much grit you have.

I'd say that a 5'11" 192 safety with elite workout quickness and pretty good strength is closer to enough talent for the position than a 6'1" QB with a below average arm and zero pocket presence, but that's just me.

3 hours ago, austinfan said:

You can get too cute on draft day, Howie got the 2022 1st and his targeted player. Gave up a 2021 3rd, got a 2021 6th and then traded two marginal picks for a 2022 5th.

That's good enough, of course, there's always the hypothetical deal you might have made.

But if Devonta is as good as advertised, you don't risk missing out on a potentially elite player - isn't that exactly what people **** about here all the time?

I....agree....

2 hours ago, greend said:

Not for me, I don't think he'll be good enough but I'll be glad to be wrong. Besides, I'm used to being a fool.

I want to be wrong as well.  I just don't see it.

3 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

youre using drafts where other guys were in charge of the draft as your evidence. You need to use these last 2 drafts. Beginning after this season it will start to become clear how good, or bad he did with his selections.

That excuse has been used for years

Trading to 10 then flipping the pick for more capital talk is straight non-sense.  It's draft day insider trading...that's how you get blacklisted lol.

Guest justrelax
10 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I'd say that a 5'11" 192 safety with elite workout quickness and pretty good strength is closer to enough talent for the position than a 6'1" QB with a below average arm and zero pocket presence, but that's just me.

I would agree with some of this but not all. Coleman clearly was physically outmatched regardless of his testing. I strongly disagree about Hurts’ pocket presence. He was miles better than Wentz in that regard. The propensity to run was a combination of coaching and lack of experience but that is not what defines pocket presence. He could slide, he stepped up in the pocket - the opposite of Wentz, who would drift back into the area where the tackles were running their rushers around the pocket - in other words moving into trouble and making his OL look bad into the bargain - and he was punished by bad blocking and terrible WR play, which, in my view was bad play design and play calling as much is mistakes by Hurts. I do not see a below average arm. That is a canard (french for BS). No, he doesn’t have Wentz’s arm but neither did Brees or Brady or any number of other QBs. You want Jeff George or Sam Bradford? You’re welcome to them.

I wouldn’t count on the Colts pick next year, but we have more than enough to make sure the QB is fixed. I have faith in Hurts though. He’s really easy to root for. 

Archived