EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

No it’s not unique. But those with great work ethic, habits, drive etc get the most out of their abilities. Not every NFL player has that. 

and we've seen plenty who simply didnt have the abilities to play at the highest level.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, justrelax said:

Constantly saying this does not make it so.

Oh really? Dang. I figured if I kept saying it, he’d suck, and my agenda of sabotaging Hurts’ career would be a success... 

3 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Constantly saying this does not make it so.

pot...kettle...

all that we can do is wait and see. but confirmation bias will abound, no doubt.

Just now, ToastJenkins said:

and we've seen plenty who simply didnt have the abilities to play at the highest level.

That’s the point. He’ll get the most out of his talent, but it might not be good enough. 

Guest justrelax
2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah your right.  But in this case, it’s true.  

If you say so.

28 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Too bad he has below the chart arm talent 

So Hurts has shown he can throw the ball 52 yards in the air down the field to hit a WR perfectly in stride but since he probably can't chuck it it 65+ yards down the field like a Rodgers or Allen that means he just doesn't have the arm strength to be successful in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

So Hurts has shown he can throw the ball 52 yards in the air down the field to hit a WR perfectly in stride but since he probably can't chuck it it 65+ yards down the field like a Rodgers or Allen that means he just doesn't have the arm strength to be successful in the NFL. 

stop with the stupidity

it means his arm strength is mediocre/adequate. it means its not a plus skill that can compensate for other deficiencies. 

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And how do you know about his work ethic and drive?  I mean the dude made it to an elite college program and then the NFL. So he would have to have those traits, like all the rest.  What do you know about him that makes him unique in that respect?  How do you know he’ll get the most out of his abilities at the pro level? 

I’m basing it off what I’ve read. How do you base your opinions?

But forget it. I don’t care to have a pissing contest over Jalen Hurts’ work ethic. 

3 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Nick Foles is your Super Bowl MVP. 

Just curious, if we take off our Eagle fandom glasses as well as our doom and gloom glasses, what players (not including rookies) from the last 2 drafts have a realistic chance of stepping up in year 2/3 and becoming a better than average player?  Which of them, if you saw them on another team might you say, man I wish he was an Eagle?

I put mine in bold and I feel like it was a stretch for some of them.  I WANT them to be good but don't really know (I'm looking at you Reagor and Hurts).  I can honestly say, if every one of these players was on another team I'd have no interest in saying we should try and get them.  

Jalen Reagor- If used right, he could be great in open space.  

Jalen Hurts- A lot to like about him but nothing jumps off as THE guy at quarterback.  He should be better than last year but an improvement for him would be an average starting QB.

Davion Taylor- ST/situational at best

K'Von Wallace- backup safety

Jack Driscoll- Best value IMO over these 2 drafts.  Starting potential, at the very least 1st O-lineman off the bench.

John Hightower- 1 trick pony, fighting for a roster spot

Shaun Bradley- JAG/ST player

Quez Watkins- It was one play but the TD against the Cardinals was one of the most athletic plays from our WR over the last 3 years.  More complete than Hightower, needs to be more consistent. 

Prince Tega Wanogho

Casey Toohill

Andre Dillard- The Eagles have a bunch of depth level tackles.  If he doesn't beat out Mailata and can't learn RT, he's on his way out.

Miles Sanders- I'm glad he's an Eagle.  I don't think he's even touched 1/2 his potential.  I'd love to see healthy and be the bell cow. 

JJ Arcega-Whiteside- One more chance with a new staff that likes big WR.  I think Grimes pushes him off the roster.

Shareef Miller

Clayton Thorson

11 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And how do you know about his work ethic and drive?  I mean the dude made it to an elite college program and then the NFL. So he would have to have those traits, like all the rest.  What do you know about him that makes him unique in that respect?  How do you know he’ll get the most out of his abilities at the pro level? 

He's a coaches son so his entire life he has been molded by football work ethic. He played for one of the most demanding college HCs and earned all the respect from him and his teammates for how he carried himself.  His development as a passer from his freshman year in college to his senior year shows an obviously improvement due to the work he put in.  The guy is built like a bull dog because he clearly is putting time in at the gym.  Every report of the kid is how he is constantly working on his game and working to improve.  He, as Nick Sirianni would say, "loves ball". 

1 minute ago, ToastJenkins said:

stop with the stupidity

it means his arm strength is mediocre/adequate. it means its not a plus skill that can compensate for other deficiencies. 

How is his arm stenght mediocre when we have seen him show the ability to throw it down the field and hit WRs in stride?  We have seen him be able to put great touch in a ball.  We have seen him be able to put great force in a ball as well.  He isn't some QB that is only able to throw a rocket to the WR every pass even if the WR is less than 10 yards from him and he has also shown he isn't the type of QB that is only able to loft balls to a WR.

4 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Nick Foles is your Super Bowl MVP. 

Okay.  What about replying to what I said to you? 

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That’s all great.  Again, all assumptions.  There’s nothing any of you know that will suggest he has a unique work ethic or traits compared to any other QB at that level.  It’s hopeful, great.  But I’ll allow others to jump to conclusions and I’ll just watch and hope he develops into a good NFL qb.   

When it's widely reported as one of his strengths then I'm not sure how you can dispute it as a quality of his.  If there were questions or concerns about his work ethic then that would certainly be reported on and would have been a knock on him coming out of college like it is for players who do have work ethic questions. 

But hey what am I kidding myself, the Hurts hate circle jerk on this board officially past the point of all reason and logic yesterday when a number of you were for pages seriously dissecting a single play from his first real NFL action in a game where it was not at all planned for him to go into at QB as if this play holds any relevance to anything whatsoever. 

20 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

How is his arm stenght mediocre when we have seen him show the ability to throw it down the field and hit WRs in stride?  We have seen him be able to put great touch in a ball.  We have seen him be able to put great force in a ball as well.  He isn't some QB that is only able to throw a rocket to the WR every pass even if the WR is less than 10 yards from him and he has also shown he isn't the type of QB that is only able to loft balls to a WR.

Okay.  What about replying to what I said to you? 

There is literally no point in replying to anything you say. Case in point... you use Merrill Reese to try and support your argument like he’d say anything negative about Hurts... 

12 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

There is literally no point in replying to anything you say. Case in point... you use Merrill Reese to try and support your argument like he’d say anything negative about Hurts... 

I'm not posting Merrill Reese for his opinion, I'm posting the tweet for the sake of the combine result of what his throwing velocity measured at the combine.  I can understand how you would have difficulty comprehending that though. I have to try and remember the level of people I'm communicating with here. 

12 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’m not questioning his work ethic you dolt.  I’m saying he’s not unique at this level.  This all started with me saying how I liked him. Nothing to do with any hate.  Yet you had to get involved and come in swinging your purse.  Either educate yourself in a discussion before you put your foot in your mouth or STFU.   You’re clueless.   

"Number of you dissecting a play”?   I wasn’t involved in that discussion.  Again, clueless.  Not once did I engage in that and I really don’t even know or care of what play they were talking about.  Stay in your lane, troll.     

Did anyone say it was unique? From what I read it was just someone saying it is a strength that will benefit a young roster that the QB and 10th overall pick rookie WR both possess great work ethics and that should help to carry over to the rest of the young roster.  That only serves to help when building the culture under a new regime, especially on a roster as young as ours. 

14 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Could be a fantasy monster. I don't think he will be a bust. Matty loves throwing to the TE

24 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That’s all great.  Again, all assumptions.  There’s nothing any of you know that will suggest he has a unique work ethic or traits compared to any other QB at that level.  It’s hopeful, great.  But I’ll allow others to jump to conclusions and I’ll just watch and hope he develops into a good NFL qb.   

Talking to a wall.

I knew he'd have a meltdown as soon as I posted the picture. Too bad he doesn't have Hurts mental strength or work ethic, maybe he wouldn't get so hurt on a message board.

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

I can go to the roster of any playoff team and find you a half dozen guys taken late in the draft/UDFAs/SFAs who started or had major roles off the bench. But they don't have "potential to be starters," but manage to start anyway. When Mikell first showed up on an Eagles roster, who projected him as a starter? Kelce was grossly undersized. And so on.

The odds are longer against these guys, but they aren't zero. The fun of training camp is to see who surprises, and who fades away. People get excited by Grimes because he's big and ran fast in a straight line in shorts, I'm far more interested in Tyree Jackson.

Pryor is finished unless he went crazy in the offseason, and rebuilt his body and his technique, but you can't teach length.

Herbig showed he could pass block, but lacked any explosion or movement skills b/c he was too heavy, did getting into shape make a difference?

Opeta actually has NFL athleticism, and it showed in his brief cameo, doesn't mean he can play, but there's something to work with.

Toth was overmatched as a rookie out of Army, which runs a triple option offense (65 passes in 2018). In August 2019, he signed a three-year contract with the Eagles, even though he had already missed all of training camp and two preseason games. When he returned last season, obviously he had limited practice time before being forced into the lineup. So this August he'll finally get a real shot at making the team.

You are arguing from anecdotes.    Yes, late round picks can and some even do become major players.   Very very few of them out of the vast number that are drafted and signed as UDFAs.   They are a tiny little minority.  

The first name you decided to gravitate to was Quintin Mikell?   Really?  That's sad.   He was barely more than a JAG himself.  He looked decent when he had Brian Dawkins next to him.  He wasn't able to carry the secondary by any means.  

Kelce is absolutely a great example.  He was undersized, but extremely athletic.  AND... teamed up with both Howard Mudd and Jeff Stoutland, they have maximized that potential.  But, as we see with his brother as well, he has great genes.  

I never said the odds were zero.   BUT... Pryor is heading into year 4 and has regressed from maybe ok for limited snaps into less than a JAG.  That's not progress, and that's not someone that you expect to immediately turn it around in Year 4.   Herbig is a shielder, not a blocker.  He can't move anyone.  If he loses weight, will he still have the same anchor?  Time will tell.  I'll believe he's lost the weight when I see him on the field.  And I will continue to say that his ceiling remains a top level backup.  That's not nothing, by any means, but that's about where his ceiling is.  Opeta?  Sure... we've heard about a lot of guys that have all the athleticism in the world, but can't translate it to the field.  He's not strong enough, he can't anchor.

I never said that these guys didn't have positive attributes.  I said that they are long shots and that their ceilings aren't nearly as high as you are putting forward.   We got to see these guys play in 2020, and they have been with the best OL coach in the NFL (according to many).  Maybe the reason we still see holes in their game is because there's only so much that Stoutland can accomplish with these guys.   He's not a miracle worker.  He can't produce more than the player is capable of.   All a great coach can do is maximize the potential in the player that is there.  But, he can't exceed that.   

There will be no more than 10 OL on the roster.  The names Pryor, Herbig, Opeta and Toth are the last names on the list right now...  ahead of them are: 

Johnson, Brooks, Kelce, Seumalo, Mailata, Dillard, Driscoll, Dickerson...  I'd say all 8 of those guys are likely locks (exception being Dillard if they think that he can't be a swing OT, and they look to trade him).  

Oh, and you can add Clark to that list of players that will be fighting for those last few spots.  

We'll see how it plays out.  But, I will not be very optimistic if those 4 see a lot of snaps in this upcoming season.

16 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Could be a fantasy monster. I don't think he will be a bust. Matty loves throwing to the TE

Surprised Gronk wasn't on the list.

56 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

If your talking a vacuum tumbler, it's one of the most bad a$$ kitchen devices out there. My brother has one and when he comes to visit he does ribs with a dry rub, tumbles/brins/ets. AWESOME 

Holy crap, I learned something on here today.

8 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yes.  Someone did say it was unique.  Again, if you read the exchange instead of just jumping into other posters conversations you would see that.  But you just can’t help yourself from looking like a fool.  Daily!   

I went back and reread and no one ever said it was unique.  Well, except for you who kept trying to argue it wasn't unique and ManuManu telling you that he never said it was unique. 

34 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I'm not posting Merrill Reese for his opinion, I'm posting the tweet for the sake of the combine result of what his throwing velocity measured at the combine.  I can understand how you would have difficulty comprehending that though. I have to try and remember the level of people I'm communicating with here. 

And again arm strength and arm talent are two different things. Arm strength is how far one can throw/velocity. Arm talent is that plus accuracy, release, making all the throws, throwing a catchable ball, etc. 

Completing 52% of your passes does not make me feel good about his arm talent. Neither does getting benched in a championship game for a guy that has average NFL arm talent. 

And again, If I’m wrong on Hurts, I’ll be the first to admit it. I think he’s Taysom Hill/Tyrod Taylor, not McNabb. 

Jalen Hurts being a try hard isn't a bad thing but its not something to hang your hat on either. 

2 hours ago, austinfan said:

Yeah, don't see the big deal in pointing out that Hurts has off the chart intangibles. Whether that will make him a starting NFL QB remains to be seen, but it certainly gives him a chance.

Just as important, even if Hurts eventually gets beaten out in a year or two, I'd overpay to keep him as the backup QB. Hurts and Smith will set the tone for the team this year, and help establish a culture for a rebuilding team. And he's shown he's team first, didn't pout when he was benched at Alabama, just worked hard and kept himself ready. Embracing competition sets a tone for the team. The more this comes from the players, the less the HC has to push.

When your starting QB and Heisman winning high draft pick are the hardest workers on the team, the message to the rest of the players, especially younger players, is loud and clear.

Entitlement doesn't live here.

ummm, what?

Archived