EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I like him in anger management too but also cause of this Philadelphia fan guy they had and Jack 

spacer.png

He has his classics like you mentioned but the majority of his movies have turned in to lazy day what's on TV movies or put something on to watch for an easy laugh.  His football films are incredibly cheesy but I'll watch them. 

Just Go With It- Jennifer Aniston and Brooklyn Decker in bikinis is all you need but Nick Swardson's character made me laugh the most.

The Grown Ups movies are cheesy fun, love Shaq's cameos. 

For some reason whenever Click is on TV I end up watching it.

Big Daddy and Mr. Deeds are more of those stupid comedies I can always watch.

As of late, Uncut Gems was a really well done movie on Netflix and Hubie Halloween was good for a few laughs and cameos. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

He has his classics like you mentioned but the majority of his movies have turned in to lazy day what's on TV movies or put something on to watch for an easy laugh.  His football films are incredibly cheesy but I'll watch them. 

Just Go With It- Jennifer Aniston and Brooklyn Decker in bikinis is all you need but Nick Swardson's character made me laugh the most.

As of late, Uncut Gems was a really well done movie on Netflix and Hubie Halloween was good for a few laughs and cameos. 

Sandler in the late 90s was golden. 

1. Billy Madison 

2. Happy Gilmore 

3. The Waterboy 

2 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

1. Billy Madison 

2. Happy Gilmore 

3. The Waterboy 

We're in a severe comedy actor drought.  I feel bad for the generation growing up with current movies.  Too much CGI, everything is dark and I think comedies are walking on eggshells too. 

Being a 90s kid I was so lucky to grow up with parents who showed me classic comedies from the 70s/80s but Adam Sandler and even Will Ferrell were huge in making me laugh growing up.

15 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

We're in a severe comedy actor drought.  I feel bad for the generation growing up with current movies.  Too much CGI, everything is dark and I think comedies are walking on eggshells too. 

Being a 90s kid I was so lucky to grow up with parents who showed me classic comedies from the 70s/80s but Adam Sandler and even Will Ferrell were huge in making me laugh growing up.

It was helpful in the days when we weren’t completely sober:

35 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Yep. I think a lot of it is just so many ppl being offended by everything 

4 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Even though this post is largely incoherent, I think the point you're attempting to make is that the Eagles were lucky to win that game because Foles outdueled Brady.

Well, first of all, Brady actually played better in that game than Foles did. 505 yards compared to 373. Passer rating of 115.4 vs 106.1. It was the Eagles TEAM which beat the Patriots TEAM.  But more to the point, it appears to me that what your'e attempting to do is to argue that the Eagles won the game because they were lucky...and then argue that the proof that they were lucky is because they won the game. It's called circular logic. It's what dumb people attempt to do to prove a point.

So I'm not surprised you're doing that.

Not to start an argument, but IMO Foles was the better QB on the day.  I say this because the majority of Brady's completions were to wide open receivers where the majority of Foles' completions were in tight windows.  He's was dropping dimes and throwing darts throughout the game.  Even the INT charged to him was more on Alshon than him as Foles threw a catchable deep ball where Alshon had a chance at it, but he couldn't bring it in and bobbled it into the arms of a 2nd DB (yes, the 1st DB had good coverage and got his arm in there, but still a good throw that gave Alshon a chance at it). 

Oh, and the other thing:

Foles:  1 target, 1 reception, 1 TOUCHDOWN (and he was the one who called for the play)

Brady:  1 target, 0 receptions, 1 DROP

Also, our OL dominated their DL and we ran the ball well.  And the D made a big play when it was really needed.  Total team game with Foles playing lights out.  The only luck involved, if you can call it that, would be a bobbled snap and the ball doinking off the upright for a missed FG.

Sanders with the subtle shot at Wentz when talking about Jalen. 

"Everybody pretty much knows he's the guy — I think that's the difference," Miles Sanders said. "Everybody knows and is satisfied with that, and I just like how he's just trying to get everybody involved. He's the quarterback for a reason. So some quarterbacks might just focus on offensive players. Some quarterbacks won't even think about defense or special teams. When I'm walking with him through the hallway, he's saying what's up to everybody, dapping everybody up. He has everybody's phone number. Just really taking that strong approach to being that guy, and I respect him for that."

Joe Flacco is a great teammate. Good to see he’s building relationships. 

11 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Joe Flacco is a great teammate. Good to see he’s building relationships. 

image.gif.2f793b2f4cda09855b6c93086e2f30c3.gif

28 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

image.gif.2f793b2f4cda09855b6c93086e2f30c3.gif

See post above mine. Probably on your ignore list. It was also edited after the fact so my joke is ruined.

On 5/21/2021 at 5:41 PM, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

A player playing well isn't luck.

A coach coaching well isn't luck.

A defensive player making a good play to force a fumble isn't luck.

A defensive player making a good play to force a fumble isn't luck.

The ONLY thing I can think of all damn season that would be considered lucky was the Foles pass against the Falcons that was batted into the air, resulting in a completion rather than an interception.

Luck is the wrong term. How about outlier performances?

This sort of thing happens, statistically. You're going to get things that just go right at some point -- a series of variable outcomes each with low probability strung together in succession to create a significant outcome.  You could call it a white swan event.

The team played great that season. Calling it luck isn't fair or just to the players and coaches who put in the hard work to maximize their chances at winning. It's also a slight to their talent and skill. And yet this was definitely not what one would expect to happen if that season was replayed thousands of times.

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Agreed. Didn't know what to expect going into it. I liked the risk Sandler took in that film -- definitely one of the more original things to come out of Hollywood in recent years.

17 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

See post above mine. Probably on your ignore list. It was also edited after the fact so my joke is ruined.

My ignore list is to a point where sometimes the fabric of discourse in here gets hard to follow; the early signs of senility is also a contributing factor.

Funny thing is, sometimes I do a purge and take everyone off the list — and then inevitably they end up back on it.  Sort of like calling up and old flame and taking her out to lunch — then remembering "Oh yeah, now I remember why I haven’t had anything to do with you these past years”

11 minutes ago, TEW said:

This sort of thing happens, statistically. You're going to get things that just go right at some point -- a series of variable outcomes each with low probability strung together in succession to create a significant outcome.  You could call it a white swan event.

The team played great that season. Calling it luck isn't fair or just to the players and coaches who put in the hard work to maximize their chances at winning. It's also a slight to their talent and skill. And yet this was definitely not what one would expect to happen if that season was replayed thousands of times.

I agree with this. I think if that season were to be run a thousand times, the Eagles win it about two hundred times. Something like that. Maybe a little more. Maybe a little less. And maybe the Patriots win it more times. Maybe the Jaguars do. Or even the Vikings. Still, I think the Eagles win it at a healthy rate.

Fortunately it for us, it was only run once, and the Eagles won. That's all that matters. I guess it makes up for all the years they had teams with legit shots (not talking about the Ray Rhodes teams that qualified for the playoffs but were just in it to round out the field), and didn't win. Like 1980 or 2001 or 2002 or 2003 or 2004 or 2008. You run those seasons a thousand times, and I'm pretty sure the Eagles are winning it a lot.

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

I've heard Deeds was horrible. (I've only seen small portions of it.) It's sad because the original with Gary Cooper is one of the best movies ever made. Probably my favorite from the 1930s.

23 minutes ago, TEW said:

Agreed with this. It’s not luck that Foles, Clement, Agholor and somewhat Ertz had career games with others having very strong games all at the same time. All while Doug called the game of his life and beat one of the best coaches in history. Momentum exists, and this team was motivated to win it all. 

Luck is a defender jumping for no reason so the interception bounces off his knee and goes to Smith perfectly who has open field which leads to a score at halftime in a close game that they only win by 5 because the other team can’t convert in the red zone. 

2 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

1. Billy Madison 

2. Happy Gilmore 

3. The Waterboy 

Can't leave out wedding singer!

3 hours ago, bpac55 said:

44 minutes ago, TEW said:

Agreed. Didn't know what to expect going into it. I liked the risk Sandler took in that film -- definitely one of the more original things to come out of Hollywood in recent years.

I tried watching Uncut Gems and couldnt make it thru.  Went about 3/4 of the way.  It's just one big yell and screaming fest.

Nice to see Carson trending on Twitter because he’s so much happier now, lol.

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Yup.  There is an inherent randomness to sports.  Mostly because there are humans involved - players, coaches, referees.  Video games even build this randomness into their algorithms.  Over a large sample size ability, preparation, etc. will prevail.  The major sports other than football get closer to this expectation by having a longer regular season and multiple-game playoff series.  Whereas randomness shows up more often in football because the shorter season and one-game playoffs.  (It is also why there is some much anticipation during March Madness - in a one game sample, more outcomes are possible.)

I don't recall anything that the Eagles did during the game that they hadn't been able to achieve earlier.  No one (other than maybe Foles) was really playing over their head, although Foles had just been lights out against the Vikings.  Our OL was solid all season.  Jeffrey, Agholor, Ertz, and the RBs all had made big plays during the season. Doug and team had already shown great game planning.  Even BG getting a sack from the DT spot wasn't anything new.  It's just that it ALL happened in the biggest game of the season.

31 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

Doesn’t fit with the not a good teammate and doesn’t like to compete narrative. Must be CGI.

Guest justrelax
10 hours ago, DireWolf said:

Yeah yeah yeah ... NICE MURAL of a guy who never played a day for the City of Philadelphia. 

And I'm the moron. 

Where's the Iverson mural ? 

At last we agree on something.

7 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I've heard Deeds was horrible. (I've only seen small portions of it.) It's sad because the original with Gary Cooper is one of the best movies ever made. Probably my favorite from the 1930s.

I've never watched the original.  Sandler's version isn't good by any means but if it's on TBS late at night and I'm bored, I'll watch it.  Another of the Sandler movies where the other characters are more fun to watch than he is.

6 hours ago, The Blackfish said:

The Eagles only have ping pong and pop-a-shot.  Inferior franchice!

Archived