EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

5 minutes ago, Utebird said:

That doesn't say to me one of the best managed teams.

The franchise has been relatively competitive (like one of the top 10 teams) over the last 20 years or so. It's not unheard of for a team that wins the Super Bowl to enter a down cycle. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WentzFan11 said:

Ive never seen that equipment before. 

Looks like tether ball.  Thing is you aren’t allowed to catch the ball in tether ball.  

42 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

I can understand him not getting looks this year.  Teams already had their candidates lined up when he was fired.

But it'll be interesting to see if he gets any interviews next offseason.

What's funny to me is that every Eagles head coach since Ed Khayat, with the exception of one-game head coach Fred Bruney, has gotten another head coaching gig. Mike McCormack. Dick Vermeil. Marion Campbell. Buddy Ryan. Rich Kotite. Ray Rhodes. Andy Reid. Chip Kelly. Every one of them. Even interim head coach Pat Shurmur got another gig. Kotite, Rhodes, and Kelly were even hired by other teams immediately after being fired by the Eagles after losing seasons. In Rhodes's case, even after a 3-win season. 

Yet their only coach to ever win a Super Bowl apparently doesn't even merit a sniff. Bizarre.

1 hour ago, WentzFan11 said:

Ive never seen that equipment before. 

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Looks like tether ball.  Thing is you aren’t allowed to catch the ball in tether ball.  

Yup, and it's been here since Nickfoleon Dynamite

My first attempt at this. Napoleon Dynamite playing tether ball. - GIF on  Imgur

Doug has 2 years of guaranteed money he's getting paid for and its been reported he had plans to take at least this year off. And Seattle was sniffing around him for OC. He'll get a job in the NFL when he wants it. Might not be HC out of the gate but someone will hire him as an OC. 

51 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

The team is adding FAs after the top names and expensive ones are gone.  With the draftees, the roster is taking shape.  True to the belief, the DL and OL are getting the emphasis and they are the strength of the team.  CB is still thin and can use some more help.  The new DC seems willing to play young and inexperienced ones.  Don't see adding any named players, but some for competition and development.

Yes, I really like what Howie's doing with the roster.  Andy Reid once said you build a team from the line-out.  You can hide a lot of sins with an elite offense / defensive line.  I don't know what that we have an elite offensive or defensive line, but I want to believe that what we have from these two units this year will be an upgrade to what we had last year. 

6 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

What's funny to me is that every Eagles head coach since Ed Khayat, with the exception of one-game head coach Fred Bruney, has gotten another head coaching gig. Mike McCormack. Dick Vermeil. Marion Campbell. Buddy Ryan. Rich Kotite. Ray Rhodes. Andy Reid. Chip Kelly. Every one of them. Even interim head coach Pat Shurmur got another gig. Kotite, Rhodes, and Kelly were even hired by other teams immediately after being fired by the Eagles after losing seasons. In Rhodes's case, even after a 3-win season. 

Yet their only coach to ever win a Super Bowl apparently doesn't even merit a sniff. Bizarre.

He’s still getting paid by the Eagles.  Take a job and that is offset, at worst and may disappear.  He’s doing the smart thing and collecting a hefty paycheck while enjoying a nice break.  

13 minutes ago, Utebird said:

That doesn't say to me one of the best managed teams.

You can cherry pick 3 years out of every team in the league and say that. Example Steelers 1998, 1999, and 2000.

That’s why I picked the last 10 years. I could have went 20.

I just don’t get why some of you hate this team so much. It’s always the yeah buts. 

18 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

He threw more TD passes in 2019 than any Eagles QB ever has in a single seaspn

How many times in his career has he thrown for 3200 yards?  

14 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Yes, I really like what Howie's doing with the roster.  Andy Reid once said you build a team from the line-out.  You can hide a lot of sins with an elite offense / defensive line.  I don't know what that we have an elite offensive or defensive line, but I want to believe that what we have from these two units this year will be an upgrade to what we had last year. 

Well, someone has to tell Howie that outside of DTs are DEs, not more DTs. Eagles may be the first team ever to present a four DT DL at this rate.  He has 6 DEs to eight DTs, unless Williams really is a DE.  PE.com lists Williams as a DT but also still lists Avery and Ostman as DEs so who knows.

edit:  Henry is a undersized DT and pretty much Baltimore’s version of the Shareef Miller pick.  In five years he has played one season.  Out of ball in 2019. 

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

How many times in his career has he thrown for 3200 yards?  

None, but if you asked me I'd certainly take the TDs over the yards.  Especially when he is still gaining a significant amount of yards for the offense on the ground.  But if you want to improve his passing yards getting someone like Julio in there would go a long way to helping that.  Not like the Ravens have exactly put a lot of great receiving targets around Jackson.

26 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

The franchise has been relatively competitive (like one of the top 10 teams) over the last 20 years or so. It's not unheard of for a team that wins the Super Bowl to enter a down cycle. 

So if a business had a 20 year run of success then went bankrupt would anyone care that the previous 20 years they were successful???

The eagles the last 3 seasons have been mediocre to horrible, they aren't trendi g upwards, sure there's hope that new management can turn it around yet the top of that management that led to where they are now are still in charge, even if they weren't nothing suggest that the eagles are trending towards one of the best managed teams I. The NFL.

Best managed teams win more than 4 games and don't have the largest dead cap hit in history on their books.

This 25 second video perfectly sums up the Philly media. 

1. You have BLG being an absolute dork and "throwing paper" when Sirianni goes to fist bump him. He then has to awkwardly explain the joke because it's not funny.

2. ESP probably saying something stupid.

3. Audio of Howard Eskin whining about Ben SImmons.

4. Someone telling him "F you"

21 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

You can cherry pick 3 years out of every team in the league and say that. Example Steelers 1998, 1999, and 2000.

That’s why I picked the last 10 years. I could have went 20.

I just don’t get why some of you hate this team so much. It’s always the yeah buts. 

I didn't pick random 3 years, i picked the last 3.

Which happened after the super bowl.

Since then Howie and Lurie have mismanaged the cap the roster and the draft.

They are bottom of the league in cap space, top of the league in cap allocated to older players, have the biggest dead cap In the history of the NFL, they are bottom half of the league in drafting success and in the last 3 seasons have a losing record.

I wouldn't call that becoming one of the best managed teams in the league.

Id call that fubar 

Nick Sirianni is somehow not good enough to get any odds on coach of year, but not bad enough to be first coach fired.

7 minutes ago, RLC said:

Nick Sirianni is somehow not good enough to get any odds on coach of year, but not bad enough to be first coach fired.

Looks like the guy who tweeted took out some names for some reason. 

Siranni is +3300 for coach of the year. He's right above Culley and Campbell with a slew of other guys at same odds like Meyer, Taylor, Fangio, Gruden, Zimmer and Nagy

Sirianni is +5000 for first coach to be fired (looks like every 1st year coach is this besides Culley +1600 and Campbell +3300)

Staley being the favorite is kinda shocking.

51 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I never understood the Kotite hiring.  I had completely forgotten that Rhodes had taken over for Holmgren.  Of course, I had also forgotten that Holmgren had a really good run of years in Seattle.  I had also forgotten that Campbell went to Atlanta again.  I do remember the next coach Atlanta had.  

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Ahh hahahah. The fact "of the matter" is you led the team DOWN the dark "hole" of the KOTITE years. Trade Lane Johnson? Yes, start Jason Peters like the "Comcast" guys tell you ahahah. I don't have "CABLE"! Huff of paint for the working man. I'll see you when I see you :towel:, you feel "IT"?? No. The TRUTH is "OUT there". I don't "have" Cable.

Back to your "REGULARLY" scheduled programing. 

:roll::roll:  That's spot on!!  Yours actually makes a little more sense than most of his.  

Wait a minute..........that's a little too spot on!  😂  

Best Im Watching You GIFs | Gfycat

36 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I didn't pick random 3 years, i picked the last 3.

Which happened after the super bowl.

Since then Howie and Lurie have mismanaged the cap the roster and the draft.

They are bottom of the league in cap space, top of the league in cap allocated to older players, have the biggest dead cap In the history of the NFL, they are bottom half of the league in drafting success and in the last 3 seasons have a losing record.

I wouldn't call that becoming one of the best managed teams in the league.

Id call that fubar 

They made the playoffs 2 out of those 3 years and won a playoff game. The rest of the stuff you’re over exaggerating. We are definitely a top 10 team in the last 10-20 years. The numbers don’t lie. You just have the sky is falling syndrome after last year.

15 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He definitely isn't a ball of joy to watch and listen to but the one thing he said that I like is he knows how the NFL works because of his dad playing.  I think that can go a long way to help him handle things.  He's probably going to have quite a few soundbites that get taken out of context throughout his Eagles career and the Philly media will try to make a story out of it.  

The reporters just ask truly awful questions though. 

9 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

He definitely isn't a ball of joy to watch and listen to but the one thing he said that I like is he knows how the NFL works because of his dad playing.  I think that can go a long way to help him handle things.  He's probably going to have quite a few soundbites that get taken out of context throughout his Eagles career and the Philly media will try to make a story out of it.  

The reporters just ask truly awful questions though. 

The questions were fine, his answers were awful.

"Jalen, what have you worked on this offseason to improve your game?"

"Everything"

"Can you expand on who you worked out with or some things specifically you did to improve any specific areas?"

"No, I don't want to get in to all that."

Henry is an interesting addition, on paper, ideal "3" technique DT.

Wonder if Rocker has any connections, he's a salvage job, don't know how much of his problems are on the field or injuries.

Archived