EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

17 minutes ago, RLC said:

Every WR gets snaps in the slot and outside. It's not a big deal.

Except Justin Jefferson, only a slot receiver.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

So we passed on the "slot WR" Jefferson for a guy who was supposed to be more dynamic and stretch the field. Instead we got the worse player who's now being shifted to the slot while the original "slot WR" is a much better outside threat than our "dynamic WR"

Sounds about Eagles.

9 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The questions were fine, his answers were awful.

"Jalen, what have you worked on this offseason to improve your game?"

"Everything"

"Can you expand on who you worked out with or some things specifically you did to improve any specific areas?"

"No, I don't want to get in to all that."

A little bit of both.  It was kind of awkward.

8 minutes ago, Swoop said:

So we passed on the "slot WR" Jefferson for a guy who was supposed to be more dynamic and stretch the field. Instead we got the worse player who's now being shifted to the slot while the original "slot WR" is a much better outside threat than our "dynamic WR"

Sounds about Eagles.

#facts

41 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

They made the playoffs 2 out of those 3 years and won a playoff game. The rest of the stuff you’re over exaggerating. We are definitely a top 10 team in the last 10-20 years. The numbers don’t lie. You just have the sky is falling syndrome after last year.

Don't have the sky is falling mentality, I'm taking a realistic approach.the last 20 doesn't help or hurt the eagles this year.

Realistically Howie created a mess and will now need to fix it.

Proof is in the pudding.

The OP I responded to stated the eagles were becoming one of the best managed teams in the NFL.

If he had said that after 2017 I'm sure no o e would have any reason to disagree.

But to say it after the 3 years since doesn't line up 

Howie and Lurie have mismanaged the roster from top to bottom by handing out bad contracts to aging players trading draft assets for players that weren't re signed,(golden Tate)

And making a mess of the draft.

Even without any of that all one has to look at is the fact that the eagles have the largest dead cap on the books in the history of the NFL after flubbing the Wentz situation.

Teams becoming the best managed team don't sign a qb to a multi year back loaded huge contract then trade then take on a huge dead cap by trading that contract the very next year.

Well managed  teams don't do what they did with Peters last year.

Well managed teams don't give a 36 year old qb coming off a really bad year  a 2 year contract worth more than the what the contract paid him under a bad year 

Well managed teams don't micromanage a whole coaching staff.

Well managed teams don't lead the league in injuries the last 3 seasons under 3 different training/medical staffs.

Well managed teams don't have a different DL coach every year.

Well managed teams don't make an unqualified coach a QB coach because he's buddies with the qb.

Well managed teams don't let owners make draft picks.

Well managed teams dont let the analytics departments have more sway than football scouts.

The eagles aren't well managed nor becoming one of the most well managed teams.

The eagles under Howie who is the General Manager have been grossly mismanaged the last 3 years, claiming they are not because they simply didn't name a starting qb doesnt erase the last 3 years failures.

Hopefully they can turn it around, I have hopes that Siriani and Co and the players can over come the meddling owner and bumbling GM.

We'll see.

24 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

"Everything"

"Can you expand on who you worked out with or some things specifically you did to improve any specific areas?"

Is he upset that they drafted Smith :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Sounds about Eagles.

Cutest-Beating-Dead-Horse-GIF.gif

22 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Sounds about Eagles.

There was actually a lot in here that didn't want Jefferson...

9 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Cutest-Beating-Dead-Horse-GIF.gif

I guess you're new here. 

6 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Everyone but you and Howie didn't want Jefferson.  We can't blame Howie for listening to the coaches. 

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I guess you're new here. 

Everyone but you and Howie didn't want Jefferson.  We can't blame Howie for listening to the coaches. 

I had no opinion on it but there were a bunch that didn't want him

46 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

"Everything"

I don't see anything wrong with those answers

8 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I guess you're new here. 

conversations on the blog during the offseason after the draft spacer.png

26 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I didn't want jefferson, I thought he was too unproven in the outside and was " just a slot" and I thought using a first on a slit was stupid, turns out jefferson proved he's more than a slot and a helluva slot as well.

Having said that I still maintain that if jefferson was drafted by the eagles he doesn't do much better here, the Offense was dysfunctional last year from top to bottom, jefferson wouldn't have changed that much.

Hopefully reagor can prove he's more than a slot and if that's all he is I hope he can be a productive one who can also return punts.

When it comes to evaluating college WRs, the biggest question is whether they can beat press. If they can, they can win inside/out. If they can't, then they're likely slots or movements Z. Jefferson struggled with this in college which is why people weren't sure if he could play outside. Clearly, he could.

If people thought Jefferson was this good, he'd have gone ahead of Jeudy, Ruggs, Reagor, etc. Multiple teams passed on him with WR needs. 

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

Sounds about Eagles.

Howie's gonna Howie 

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

None, but if you asked me I'd certainly take the TDs over the yards.  Especially when he is still gaining a significant amount of yards for the offense on the ground.  But if you want to improve his passing yards getting someone like Julio in there would go a long way to helping that.  Not like the Ravens have exactly put a lot of great receiving targets around Jackson.

He looks to run on every play.  No point in depth at WR.  That type of qb needs one legit #1 wr to telegraph the football to on every play he doesn’t run.  Which...maybe that actually is a better fit for Julio.

1 hour ago, RLC said:

Every WR gets snaps in the slot and outside. It's not a big deal.

I am someone who liked the Reagor pick.  While I was very critical of him last year, I probably still have higher hopes for him than most (let’s clarify that hopes are not the same as expectations).

I actually think this is a big deal.  Sure, Edelman and Welker were the centerpieces of offenses from this slot...but this isn’t NE, Hurts isn’t Brady, and Siri isn’t Belichek.  The move inside to the slot is an extremely well traveled path to disappointment and less impact for all bad eagles draft pick wrs.

59 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I had no opinion on it but there were a bunch that didn't want him

I absolutely didn’t want him.

Reagor is not going to be the slot WR, because there isn't going to be a "slot WR."

Reagor will get some looks there, Watkins will get some looks there, Fulgham may get some looks there, they're trying Killins in the slot in OTAs.

They'll see how much they can teach Reagor this offseason, but asking him to be Smith is a bit much, Smith might be the best pure route runner coming out of college since Harrison? Reagor gets separation and can be explosive after the catch, if he stays healthy, with the other weapons on this offense and a healthy OL, he'll have a much better opportunity this season to show his stuff.

What I want to see is Watkins getting screens and other designed plays to get him the ball in open space. That kid has moves.

I'll be satisfied with any WR alignment that features Smith/Reagor/Watkins on the field.  Moving them around without rigid roles while maintaining some level of a comfort zone for them would be a  bonus.

I have no interest in seeing the continued development or evaluation of Fulgham and Hightower.  

Ward is a crutch.  If he's on the field, it means an investment has failed.

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I'll be satisfied with any WR alignment that features Smith/Reagor/Watkins on the field.  Moving them around without rigid roles while maintaining some level of a comfort zone for them would be a  bonus.

I have no interest in seeing the continued development or evaluation of Fulgham and Hightower.  

Ward is a crutch.  If he's on the field, it means an investment has failed.

I'd love it if Sirianni can get through to Fulgham, for a five game stretch he was just as good as Jefferson, then the league caught up. It's up to him to put the work into fixing the flaws that the league exploited in slowing him down (handling press coverage, focusing on using his hands, etc.). You don't have a stretch like that if you lack talent, you don't get shut down like that unless you lack fundamentals.

Archived