EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

24 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Shall we put some context to this?   That's $21M with only 46 players 'under contract', and of those 46, 5 of them are in voided years, meaning, not really on the roster, bringing it down to 41.  And then there's the bottom 19 names on that list... 

Rashad Smith, Jason Huntley, Hakeem Butler, Josiah Scott, Joe Ostman, Arryn Siposs, Adrian Killins, Tyree Jackson, JaQuan Bailey, Jhamon Ausbon, Trevon Grimes, Jamie Newman, Harry Crider, Kayode Awosida, Jack Stoll, Khalil Tate, Matt Leo, Elijah Holyfield, Lavert Hill...   And very few of them will even make the 2021 roster, knocking that number of 41 down to about 30... maybe.  

But, yes, it's all sunshine and lollipops. 

You should google the term "restricted free agents." And then you should google the term "draft picks." After that, you will realize that there are around 30 players who aren't currently on the team's overthecap page for 2022 that will be on the roster but who won't appreciably change the team's salary cap number.

I mean, didn't you get the hint that something might be off when your list didn't include any draft picks from this year?

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

You should google the term "restricted free agents." And then you should google the term "draft picks." After that, you will realize that there are around 30 players who aren't currently on the team's overthecap page for 2022 that will be on the roster but who won't appreciably change the team's salary cap number.

I mean, didn't you get the hint that something might be off when your list didn't include any draft picks from this year?

Yup.  This year's draft picks aren't considered, which will DROP the available money from $21M down a considerable margin.   And that's why I said '30'.  Frankly, of those 19 listed names, maybe 3 have a chance of sticking... and 41 - 19 isn't 30... its 22.  I wonder who those other 8 might be?  

RFAs also would lower the available funds from the $21M, because they would cost money to sign.  In other words... 2022 is still another year where the team is greatly handcuffed by Howie's cap management.   

34 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

And now we got moron LeBron tweeting about the popcorn...jfc

Kettle or butter?

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I didn't say anything about Ben other than his foul shooting.   

I can confirm this cause we talked about his foul shooting and really he played great outside of that last game. It’s something he still has to improve on and he has to be better at.

tonight might have been one of his best playoff performances overall.

I still like this gif of the majority of 76ers fans after Simmons game tonight

spacer.png

22 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yup.  This year's draft picks aren't considered, which will DROP the available money from $21M down a considerable margin. 

This isn't true. Usually the new guys are simply taking the place of someone else on the roster. Only 53 guys count. So Jacoby Stevens isn't impacting the cap. 

And that's why I said '30'.  Frankly, of those 19 listed names, maybe 3 have a chance of sticking... and 41 - 19 isn't 30... its 22.  I wonder who those other 8 might be?

Okay, here's why your math is wrong. Let's say we have 22 guys on the overthecap 2022 roster who might actually be on the team. Then we add the RFAs like Singleton and Fulgham who will be on the roster. Then we add the draft picks from this year. Let's say that's 8 guys. Then you add next year's draft picks. Let's say that's 8 guys. So we have 22+8+8+the RFAs, which is an unknown amount, and you get at least 40 guys out of the 53 who are under contract for next year. And they won't impact that salary cap significantly because the cap already accounts for 40 guys. So they will need $15 million or so to account for the draft picks and the difference between 40 and 53, and $20 million or so to resign the free agents they want to bring back, which will be easy to do.  

RFAs also would lower the available funds from the $21M, because they would cost money to sign.

Again, you need to google restricted free agents. They make the league minimum.

In other words... 2022 is still another year where the team is greatly handcuffed by Howie's cap management.

Howie is good at the cap. I mean, that moron Andrew Brandt was posting all kinds of nonsense about how the eagles were in terrible shape this year, and we not only brought everyone back, we signed three starters on defense. And that's with the whole Wentz debacle. And now the whole league is basically copying the way he structures salaries. But you are criticizing him because you don't understand what is happening. It is painfully clear from your posts that the salary cap and contracts are over your head. You don't understand the basics, so you are just flinging poo.

Why do people routinely ignore the fact that cutting LJ Fort earned the Eagles a fourth round comp pick the following year? That's the reason he, as well as Sendejo, were cut. Forget for a moment what they ultimately did with the pick. I don't even remember. That's not the issue anyway. If they had instead traded him for a fourth round pick, that would have been viewed at the time as a great deal. It's virtually the same damn thing. 

I'm not going to sit here and defend everything that Howie Roseman has done, but my God, complaining about cutting LJ Fort is just ****ing for the sake of ****ing. 

1 hour ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Why do people routinely ignore the fact that cutting LJ Fort earned the Eagles a fourth round comp pick the following year? That's the reason he, as well as Sendejo, were cut. Forget for a moment what they ultimately did with the pick. I don't even remember. That's not the issue anyway. If they had instead traded him for a fourth round pick, that would have been viewed at the time as a great deal. It's virtually the same damn thing. 

I'm not going to sit here and defend everything that Howie Roseman has done, but my God, complaining about cutting LJ Fort is just ****ing for the sake of ****ing. 

Circling back to the earlier conversation on Fort. The Ravens did actually cut him this offseason and then re-signed him for dirt cheap. 

1 hour ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Pretty sure he didn’t play a single defensive snap so essentially getting a 4th for him is a fleece. L.J. Fort whining should be clearly directed at Flajole and Schwartz.

11 hours ago, schuy7 said:

All he did last year was tweet he was going to prove people wrong all season. Over and over. Put more energy into getting better. Didn't he retweet one of his receptions during halftime of a game he left due to injury?

Maybe, but still not trash talking. 

10 hours ago, justrelax said:

As do we all. Evidence presented here suggests not all of us have outgrown them. I except no one, myself very much included.

Ameend

6 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

No one said he wouldn't dig out.  The complaint was that he shouldn't have created it in the first place.   And it would take 2 years, minimum to get out of it.   And we will still be in the mess in 2022.  

Focused on the past.  Not acknowledging the good that's being done right now. 

6 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

And now we got moron LeBron tweeting about the popcorn...jfc

He is lucky this didn't happen to him and that Westbrook is so incredibly tough and resilient to get through that without further injury.   LeBron likely would have ended up in the trauma unit on life support. 

Guest justrelax
7 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Never stop drinking milk. That’s the best way to avoid lactose intolerance.  My dad had a glass every day with breakfast and lunch.  I drink a big glass at least once a day. 

I drink Lactaid milk. Tastes the same.

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

Focused on the past.  Not acknowledging the good that's being done right now. 

We'll see if it's good or not. If it is great!

31 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I drink Lactaid milk. Tastes the same.

I get my calcium from cheese and my vitamin d from the sun. Milk is repulsive to me.

15 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I would like a public apology from the Harlem Globetrotters.  Back in the early 80’s, they dumped confetti on me and a couple other people in our section.  They are lucky I was held back,  because I had my Battlestar Gallatic  tee shirt on at the time and I was feeling invincible.  I would like to see them banned from all other basketball arenas.  Step up Lebron.  Defend my honor.  

I'm so very glad you survive that horror. 

Howie sets his house on fire and then stands around while the fire dies out.

Hazleton: Hey, haters, acknowledge the job Howie did in putting out the fire!

48 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I would like a public apology from the Harlem Globetrotters.  Back in the early 80’s, they dumped confetti on me and a couple other people in our section.  They are lucky I was held back,  because I had my Battlestar Gallatic  tee shirt on at the time and I was feeling invincible.  I would like to see them banned from all other basketball arenas.  Step up Lebron.  Defend my honor.  

Now we know what past trauma has made you so testy all the time. 

25 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Howie sets his house on fire and then stands around while the fire dies out.

Hazleton: Hey, haters, acknowledge the job Howie did in putting out the fire!

It's missing the context of why he set his house on fire.  May have been a logical explanation,  and things just got out of hand.  Maybe there was a spider in the bedroom. 

Howie isn't going to be in the FA market in a serious way until 2023, so he's fine for 2022.

A lot of picks in a deep draft (and look for Howie magic on draft day) to add to a roster which will be tweaked all season.

We'll find out if Hurts can play, if so, a lot of people should be looking up crow recipes.

We'll see what tricks Sirianni has up his sleeve, especially a scheme that will use all 5 targets (RBs, WRs, TEs) and spread the ball around like vintage AR. One result is Smith probably won't put up Jefferson numbers, b/c the RBs will catch 100 passes.  Indy, 97, 70, 124 the last three seasons.  Philly 53, 77, 90, 59. Note Reich threw the ball more to RBs in Indy than Phllly, personnel or the Sirianni effect?

We'll find out how Gannon uses DBs v Schwartz. No more putting mediocre CBs on a man island with a 10 yard cushion for easy throw and catch.

Given that most of this is a complete unknown, let's relax about the instant judgements.

Hurts is a good example, how many rookies hold the ball behind a shaky OL with the receivers running the most deep routes in the NFL?

OL:

NO:  Mailata - Seumalo - Kelce - Herbig - Driscoll

AZ:  Mailata - Seumalo - Kelce - Herbig - Pryor

DAL:  Mailata - Seumalo - Kelce - Herbig - Pryor (Toth for 10 snaps, replacing Mailata)

WASH:  Toth - Seumalo - Kelce - Herbig - Pryor (WR by snaps:  Ward, JJAW, Watkins, Fulgham, Reagor)

With that lineup against a top defense, what chance did Hurts have in the last game?

18 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

It's missing the context of why he set his house on fire.  May have been a logical explanation,  and things just got out of hand.  Maybe there was a spider in the bedroom. 

The reason doesn’t matter, to be honest. You’re giving him credit for doing the only thing he could do. He didn’t have the resources to put out the fire, so he sat by and let it burn out. 

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

The reason doesn’t matter, to be honest. You’re giving him credit for doing the only thing he could do. He didn’t have the resources to put out the fire, so he sat by and let it burn out. 

It’s more like he put out the fire and set up the foundation for the next house (the draft resources he acquired) 

6 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Pretty sure he didn’t play a single defensive snap so essentially getting a 4th for him is a fleece. L.J. Fort whining should be clearly directed at Flajole and Schwartz.

The problem I have isn't the fact that they cut LJ Fort.  The problem I have is they brought a LB in who showed signs of success and potential in a 3-4 defense over to a 4-3 defense and couldn't figure out how to get him on the field so they cut him.  He wasn't bad here, the Eagles didn't know how to use him.  He then signs with a new team and immediately has success in a 3-4 defense.   If LJ Fort played in a 4-3 before the Eagles signed him and then he came here and stunk, then signed somewhere else and continued to stink that's one thing.  However, we know that's not the case.

So yes, cutting a player who hasn't played a down and then getting a 4th round comp pick sounds great and all but when you look at the big picture it's one of the frustrating things over the past 4 years on how this team is being built.  

Not only does this team not value linebacker, when they do bring linebackers in they are bringing in guys who are playing out of position. 

I've posted this before but of the 10 LB on the team, 5 of them are "learning" how to play linebacker and this is coming off the heels of Nate Gerry.  

AF is going to tell me that Genard Avery tests really well to be a MLB.,  If that's the case why didn't he play MLB from the get go?  Why are the Eagles not using him as MLB?  He, along with Patrick Johnson and Joe Ostman (both DE's) are now practicing as stand up pass rush OLBs.  

Davion Taylor is fast.  Great.  He's not an NFL linebacker. 

JaCoby Stevens was a good safety at LSU but too slow for the new breed of NFL safety.  I love gambling on guys from the SEC, especially the top dogs in the SEC but to if we think Stevens is going to come in and be an impact player we are mistaken. 

Joe Bachie isn't LJ Fort, that wasn't the point I was making when I initially posted he was claimed and I'm not complaining just for the sake of it.  The issue is the Eagles process of evaluating and valuing linebacker. This is ongoing and it doesn't seem to be changing.  The Eagles don't seem to be learning.   

Odds are, Bachie is a practice squad player and that's it.  But the fact that there were teams lined up to claim him tells me there's something with him.  If we cut Shaun Bradley today, he clears waivers.  Same with TJ Edwards.  If we Avery, he might get claimed...as a DE.  I've been an Ostman supporter for years but the fact of the matter is, he's been cut how many times now and he was never claimed.

We are going down the same path at CB now too.  Keep patching the holes with UDFA and slot corners.  Minimal effort to fix areas of weakness.

Archived