EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

I wouldn’t let a 32 year old do my taxes.

You ageist!!! 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

I wouldn’t let a 32 year old do my taxes.

I wouldn't let Howie do my taxes!

33 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

So now we have a 32 year old female as VP of Football OPs.  That should work out well.  :wacko:

Why does her age or gender have anything to do with whether or not that should work out well???

Andrew Barry was VP of football OPs at 32 years old did you have a problem with that or is your problem more that the new VP doesn't have a Peni$?

39 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Explain the below in regards to LJ Fort.  If LB's tend to be scheme specific, and LJ Fort played very will in Pittsburgh and Baltimore, why did he not work out in Philly ??

Well this revisionist history on LJ Fort is amusing.

The guy was undrafted, signed with the Browns in 2012. Made opening day roster due to injuries to of all people, Chris Gocong, James-Michael Johnson (who?) and Emmanuel Acho. Had a pick in his first game against our Eagles and Vick. Played the whole season, one INT, one sack, 20 tackles. 

Signed with Denver end of 2013, released in August 2014.

Signed Oct 2014 with Seattle PS. Signed as a FB!!! Activated for one regular season game, then gone.

Signed with the Bengals Nov 2014, to their PS. Released April 2015.

New England signs him August 2015, released 2 weeks later, a camp body.

Pittsburgh picks him up the next day; then he's released 2 weeks later and re-signed the next day to their PS. Promoted to active roster in December. Released by Pitt Nov 2016, then signed again 3 days later. Sept 2017, they release him again, and then again sign him to the PS the next day, and activated from the PS 2 weeks later. 

March 2019, he signs with us, 3 years, 5.5 milly. Released Sept 2019 after 4 games.

Baltimore scoops him up the next day:

2019 - 12 games, 8 started, 35 tackles, 4 TFL, no sacks, no FF, no Ints. 

2020 - 14 games, 8 started, 53 tackles, 2 TFL, 2 FR (one for a TD) and no INTs. 

Baltimore released him and then signed him back in April this year.

Let me put this as plainly as possible. LJ Fort sucks. He's flashed here and there for a few games, but he's the definition of a journeyman player. Howie getting even a 4th for him as a comp pick should absolutely be celebrated. If you really want to criticize the Fort situation, you really just hate Howie and there's no room for discussion. 

10 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Good for her, hope she excels.

Feels like there was a joke in there but when people start to excel they spreadsheet 

11 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Now my challenge to you, instead of parroting that I am wrong with no data, provide me some numbers that back up your point.  Give me data to challenge the following facts.

1.  Eagles currently have 20.6 million in 2022 cap space, with 42 players under contract.

This number is a projection. It will change between now and next May. You are basing an entire argument based on a number that has no connection to reality.

2.  If all 9 draft picks make the 2022 roster, the Eagles will have 7.5 million in cap room with 49 players under contract.

42+9 isn't 49.

3.  Using the same link, https://overthecap.com/draft/ give me scenario that if the Eagles get 3 first round picks, that they won't to use at a minimum 6.2 million of the 7.5 million in cap room to sign those players.

You are correct. It will cost money to sign their draft picks. What you are wrong about is the amount. You are throwing out figures to make arguments that aren't based in facts. 

28 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

What problem is that?   To expect someone in a key position of the front office to have experience and maybe have had at least played the game?   Awww.  You’re offended because I don’t think a 32 year old woman is the right fit for a VP of Football OPS in the NFL?  The problem is this team is going down the toilet.  How have I contributed to that problem?  

Howie never played the game nor did the owner not did banner before him.

Lots of football executives have never played the game, hell most the analytics departments have probably never even watched a football game let alone played one.

The NFL and the world is changing if one doesn't adapt one gets left behind in the past.

EMB alum.

45 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

So now we have a 32 year old female as VP of Football OPs.  That should work out well.  :wacko:

So stick with the old men that, as you consistently remind us, screwed the whole thing up?

3 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

1.  Eagles currently have 20.6 million in 2022 cap space, with 42 players under contract.

This number is a projection. It will change between now and next May. You are basing an entire argument based on a number that has no connection to reality.

2.  If all 9 draft picks make the 2022 roster, the Eagles will have 7.5 million in cap room with 49 players under contract.

42+9 isn't 49.

3.  Using the same link, https://overthecap.com/draft/ give me scenario that if the Eagles get 3 first round picks, that they won't to use at a minimum 6.2 million of the 7.5 million in cap room to sign those players.

You are correct. It will cost money to sign their draft picks. What you are wrong about is the amount. You are throwing out figures to make arguments that aren't based in facts. 

That is the number now.  It is based on two facts.  Players under contract, available cap space based on the league announcement of the cap ceiling for next year.

Yep, I blew that one, 7.5 million in cap space with 51 players under contract.

Those figures are based on the NFL rookie wage scale that is set in place, and has been for years.

Still, you are not providing any data to show how we could have significantly more cap space.

51 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And you don't seem to be accounting for bodies on the roster.  So you have 15 million in cap space with 39 players under contract if you deduct 10 league minimum contracts, and still, if the Eagles get and use all 3 first round picks, they will have a cap hit of 10 million.  So you then have 5 million in cap space with 42 players under contract.  You seeing the problem yet.

Did he not fit Schwartz scheme ??

Apparently not.  Schwartz would decide whether he fits or not I'd guess.

38 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

What problem is that?   To expect someone in a key position of the front office to have experience and maybe have had at least played the game?   Awww.  You’re offended because I don’t think a 32 year old woman is the right fit for a VP of Football OPS in the NFL?  The problem is this team is going down the toilet.  How have I contributed to that problem?  

you ruffled his panties LOL

6 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Don't bother. I tried to explain that armchair "cap experts" have no idea how the cap works. They think they do, and even the sites like Sportac and OTC think they do too. They are fantastic (both the armchairs and the sites) at providing the numbers on paper, but when it comes to actually maneuvering around and within the cap, outsiders just will never figure it out. It's complicated by nature, but I've pointed out before, no team has really ever been screwed over by the cap (outside of Washington and Dallas in the uncapped year). Even the Saints and their 90 million over the cap issue after last year seemed to have figured out (surprise!). 

2 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Apparently not.  Schwartz would decide whether he fits or not I'd guess.

No, see my post above. LJ Fort actually isn't a good player. It's the same as those who were crying about Sidney Jones and Rasul Douglas being great now that they aren't here. Nope, both ended up not being very good by season's end last year. But, let's not let facts get in the way of Howie hate!

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

That is the number now.  It is based on two facts.  Players under contract, available cap space based on the league announcement of the cap ceiling for next year.

Those figures are based on the NFL rookie wage scale that is set in place, and has been for years.

Still, you are not providing any data to show how we could have significantly more cap space.

Just now, downundermike said:

Carryover. Restructures. Trading players. Extending players currently on the roster.

I can't show data that doesn't exist yet. But that's how the cap space will increase. Acting like the team will only have $7 million next year in cap space is daft.

Catherine Raiche has CFL, XFL and NFL experience in scouting. She has a law degree and a tax background (contracts). 

But to some people, she's unqualified...for *reasons*

4 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

No, see my post above. LJ Fort actually isn't a good player. It's the same as those who were crying about Sidney Jones and Rasul Douglas being great now that they aren't here. Nope, both ended up not being very good by season's end last year. But, let's not let facts get in the way of Howie hate!

I never thought Fort was that good.  He's solid but nothing special.

I think people were upset that they continually sent out Nate Gerry and Duke Riley to play LB when Fort might have been a better option.

As far as Raiche, it's kind of an out of nowhere hire, but I'm willing to give anybody a chance to see what they can do. Though likely we never really find out what she does/doesn't do. Much ado about nothing. 

Archived