EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

13 minutes ago, RLC said:

Translation: Game of chicken

I wouldn't budge either if I was the Eagles FO. You either pay the asking price of a 4th rounder or we will keep him and take the chance at a possible 4th rounder comp pick the following year. Honestly it doesnt hurt us to make that stand. Will getting a 6th round pick do anything for us? No, so hold strong and take the chance at getting more value. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as Hurts and his second half performance, maybe it will help to have a different HC:

"A lot has been made about the disparity between Jalen Hurts’ performance before halftime last year and after halftime, and the gap is indeed huge. But consider this: In the first half of the three games that Hurts played start to finish — the Saints, Cards and Cowboys — the Eagles had a 58-42 pass-run ratio. Right around the NFL average. And Hurts completed 62 percent of his passes, had 5 TDs and 0 INTs, was sacked three times and recorded a 123.5 passer rating. In the second half of those three games, the Eagles had a pass-run ratio of 82-18. Yep, Doug Pederson called only 18 second-half running plays in those three games with a rookie QB. And Hurts was at 48 percent, 0 TDs and 2 INTs, six sacks with a 53.7 passer rating. Not many QBs could function at a high level under those circumstances, much less a 22-year-old who didn’t have a preseason getting his first significant career playing time behind a rickety offensive line with bad receivers."

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/roobs-eagles-observations-why-jalen-hurts-struggled-after-halftime-and-more

9 minutes ago, hputenis said:

If he was good at this Ertz would have been traded last offseason for a much higher value.  

Howie is best classified as "hit and miss" with this one flying strongly off target.

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

As far as Hurts and his second half performance, maybe it will help to have a different HC:

"A lot has been made about the disparity between Jalen Hurts’ performance before halftime last year and after halftime, and the gap is indeed huge. But consider this: In the first half of the three games that Hurts played start to finish — the Saints, Cards and Cowboys — the Eagles had a 58-42 pass-run ratio. Right around the NFL average. And Hurts completed 62 percent of his passes, had 5 TDs and 0 INTs, was sacked three times and recorded a 123.5 passer rating. In the second half of those three games, the Eagles had a pass-run ratio of 82-18. Yep, Doug Pederson called only 18 second-half running plays in those three games with a rookie QB. And Hurts was at 48 percent, 0 TDs and 2 INTs, six sacks with a 53.7 passer rating. Not many QBs could function at a high level under those circumstances, much less a 22-year-old who didn’t have a preseason getting his first significant career playing time behind a rickety offensive line with bad receivers."

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/roobs-eagles-observations-why-jalen-hurts-struggled-after-halftime-and-more

This is dishonest writing. The issue is not that Hurts didn't function at a "high level" after halftime, the issue is that he sucked.

I really wish everyone would stop the "rookie pushed into action without a pre-season without taking first team reps and behind a shaky o-line" excuse. 

Guess who else was a rookie pushed into action without a pre-season without taking first team reps and behind a shaky o-line? The OROY. 

8 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Good old, Roob.  I wonder what his angle is with this piece. 

We will find out soon enough if Hurts is capable or not.  There will be no way to blame Doug, a lack of training camp, or injuries this year.

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I really wish everyone would stop the "rookie pushed into action without a pre-season without taking first team reps and behind a shaky o-line" excuse. 

Guess who else was a rookie pushed into action without a pre-season without taking first team reps and behind a shaky o-line? The OROY. 

Are we really comparing the 6th overall pick, who actually got 1st team reps in camp, to what Hurts had last year?

2 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

This is dishonest writing. The issue is not that Hurts didn't function at a "high level" after halftime, the issue is that he sucked.

Apparently all we need to do is be up huge going into the second half of games so we can run and kill the clock. If we are behind and need to throw to comeback we are screwed. That's my takeaway. 

3 minutes ago, RLC said:

Are we really comparing the 6th overall pick, who actually got 1st team reps in camp, to what Hurts had last year?

Yea, totally different circumstances. Those first team reps are all that's needed to be successful. 

One took the opportunity and thrived. One didn't. You are asking both to be franchise guys so I don't care where they were drafted. If you can't even compare them because one was #6 and the other was a 2nd round pick then its a terrible processes to try to shoe horn the guy into a role he's not capable of. 

6 minutes ago, RLC said:

I agree that it’s not fair to compare Hurts to real first round qbs.

16 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yea, totally different circumstances. Those first team reps are all that's needed to be successful. 

One took the opportunity and thrived. One didn't. You are asking both to be franchise guys so I don't care where they were drafted. If you can't even compare them because one was #6 and the other was a 2nd round pick then its a terrible processes to try to shoe horn the guy into a role he's not capable of. 

You still need time. You can’t expect Hurts to go in and within 4 weeks be perfect when the team was already a dysfunctional mess and we were working with a practice squad offense. 

3 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

So your telling me the Eagles QB had a hard time after Doug Abandons the run. 

Like week 1 when we had a 10 point lead at half and decided to drop back 54 times against the best front 4 in the league with the redskins

Week 3 when we tied cinncy, half time lead, wentz dropped back 60+ times and even though Sanders was running great he had 4 touches in the 2nd half

Well I can go on and on but im Glad Hurts gets a pass. 

I don’t think anything believes that wasn’t an issue with Wentz too, but he’s no longer here so you have to move on. 

17 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

You still need time. You can’t expect Hurts to go in and within 4 weeks be perfect when the team was already a dysfunctional mess and we were working with a practice squad offense. 

You need time because he struggled and was not good. It's ok to say that without making excuses every time. Point is, people have to always throw that out there like it was impossible for him to overcome it. Fact is, it wasn't, he just didn't do it. 

And the offense he has now is the same as last year + Johnson, Brooks and Smith - Ertz, Jackson and Jeffery. So are we going to make the same excuse next year about a "practice squad offense". 

10 hours ago, mattmcginley7 said:

Member when people said Smith isn't that fast? Great times 

The only people that said he wasn't fast were the ones that decided he is too skinny to play.  

9 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

So your telling me the Eagles QB had a hard time after Doug Abandons the run. 

Like week 1 when we had a 10 point lead at half and decided to drop back 54 times against the best front 4 in the league with the redskins

Week 3 when we tied cinncy, half time lead, wentz dropped back 60+ times and even though Sanders was running great he had 4 touches in the 2nd half

Well I can go on and on but im Glad Hurts gets a pass. 

You left out the Browns game, which might be the most egregious. Ridiculous winds and rain, Kelce and Johnson started the game but didn't finish, but Doug calls 40 passes to 25 runs. The Browns had 40 runs to 25 passes. In the 2nd half, called only 5 runs. That game was just awful, awful.

1 hour ago, RLC said:

Translation: Game of chicken

I don't think that's the case as much as it was everyone waiting until after June 1st.  

36 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Apparently all we need to do is be up huge going into the second half of games so we can run and kill the clock. If we are behind and need to throw to comeback we are screwed. That's my takeaway. 

Bingo.

10 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

You need time because he struggled and was not good. It's ok to say that without making excuses every time. 

And the offense he has now is the same as last year + Johnson, Brooks and Smith - Ertz, Jackson and Jeffery. So are we going to make the same excuse next year about a "practice squad offense". 

Do you not realize the tremendous upgrade here? Jackson and Jeffery may as well have just not played, same with ertz. Smith will almost certainly be better than all 3 of them were last season. And then you have two pro bowl OL returning to the lineup when we were using what, like our 3rd guard and tackle last year? 

Just the upgrade on the line alone is enough to say this offense is better than last year. Add Smith over a bunch of jags and it definitely isn't a practice squad roster. 

1 minute ago, devpool said:

Do you not realize the tremendous upgrade here? Jackson and Jeffery may as well have just not played, same with ertz. Smith will almost certainly be better than all 3 of them were last season. And then you have two pro bowl OL returning to the lineup when we were using what, like our 3rd guard and tackle last year? 

Just the upgrade on the line alone is enough to say this offense is better than last year. Add Smith over a bunch of jags and it definitely isn't a practice squad roster. 

Obviously it's an upgrade and the offense is better with them. My point was "practice squad offense" was overblown. He still had Reagor, Goedert, Ertz, Sanders, Kelce, the entire starting left side of the O-line, GREG WARD!, etc. etc. He was missing the starting RG and RT. That's not a practice squad offense. A practice squad offense is when Ertz has a lacerated Kidney and you have to start Bob Davis, Deontay Burnett, JJAW and midgame have to have Josh Perkins play WR. 

The fact that we are comparing degrees of "How injured was our offensive units in the closing weeks of the last two seasons?" is pretty damn telling in its own right.

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Obviously it's an upgrade and the offense is better with them. My point was "practice squad offense" was overblown. He still had Reagor, Goedert, Ertz, Sanders, Kelce, the entire starting left side of the O-line, GREG WARD!, etc. etc. He was missing the starting RG and RT. That's not a practice squad offense. A practice squad offense is when Ertz has a lacerated Kidney and you have to start Bob Davis, Deontay Burnett, JJAW and midgame have to have Josh Perkins play WR. 

Honestly Jeffrey and Ertz will be addition by subtraction. Absolutely no effort last year. Combine that with the play calling and it’s easy to see how bad our offense was at the end of last season. 

Point being, it’s hard to expect a rookie QB to thrive in those circumstances. Let’s see what he does year 2. 

Also that Roob stat is extremely misleading. Definitely not arguing that we should've run the ball more last season, because we should have.

Having said that, I'd wager a large chunk of those attempts were in the late stages of the Cardinals game (thinking the last two/three drives I'd bet he had roughly 20 passes alone) when we were trying to drive quick to score or the Dallas game because Hurts blew outside of two first quarter drives and we lost the option to run as the game went on and Dallas scored at will.

It's not as though we were largely ahead in all of the games and Doug chose to keep passing.

Just now, Swoop said:

Also that Roob stat is extremely misleading. Definitely not arguing that we should've run the ball more last season, because we should have.

Having said that, I'd wager a large chunk of those attempts were in the late stages of the Cardinals game (thinking the last two/three drives I'd bet he had roughly 20 passes alone) when we were trying to drive quick to score or the Dallas game because Hurts blew outside of two first quarter drives and we lost the option to run as the game went on while Dallas scored at will.

He's counting every Hurts run as a pass attempt. He's only counting a Sanders/Scott rush as an actual rush. 

There are no excuses for Hurts/Roseman:

1) healthy OL (at least at the start of the season) with better depth;

2) two first-round WRs (one could add the addition of a second-round WR, but I'd rather forget);

3) second-round TE; 

4) second-round RB; and

5) new coaching staff.

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Is there real smoke with this Julio thing?  Or is it fabricated?  

Just this kind

Bong-gas-mask tweet on Laremy Tunsil's account hurts NFL draft prospects –  The Denver Post

Archived