EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, TEW said:

Right -- that's the risk you take. But I wouldn't frame it as "all Howie has to show for it." Read between the lines of what Lurie has said. Look at his actions. Pederson is the one who is gone. Pederson is, according to Lurie, the one who kept pressing for a "win now" approach. The team looked at the Super Bowl win, saw a young QB in Wentz, and had a coach who was banging the table that he was this close to another ring.  So they did everything in their power to keep core older players and add veterans, but it didn't work. This was the make or brake year for Pederson, and obviously he broke. He didn't want any part of a rebuild, and frankly he seemed out of his depth recently, so he's gone. That's what Pederson has to show for the win now approach. 

I can see an optimistic HC but the GM needs to right the ship and just be plain realistic. Pederson was an inmate running the asylum. To me if I put my Monday morning quarterback hat on the biggest mistakes were signing the Jacksons and the extensions of both Alshon and Carson. All those contributed to the cap situation and the backloads, a cascade of. Slay also seems like an overpay considering his age. Did I miss anybody ?

Banner’s vigilance of the cap was the other extreme for example IMO he should have veered off course and shown TO the money. Making good decisions most of the time is what separates the good from the mediocre. Howie needs to do a better job there SC, drafting, FA signings. In total just mediocre

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think the talent was on the team to push chips in and go for 2 . They won the super bowl in a squeaker , they had no 1000 yard receiver  , no 1000 yard back , no dbl digit sack guy , I am not sure what they were looking at  , in thinking let’s go for broke and try to win another ,

6 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

43a48abe-e8cd-4326-83b2-1fca045d5046_tex

Yup. 

How many draft picks and FA signings did Howie hit on from 2018 on? This isn’t just about trying to win and failing. This is about failing to add good players and good talent to the roster. Howie also half-arsed it 2020, trading for Slay and paying a third DT big money, but leaving the team a vet WR short. He was drafting a backup QB in round 2 and a lottery ticket off ball LB in round 3. 

The dude failed at just about everything he touched since 2017. He’s got Mailata, and even that is more Stoutland than him. 

16 hours ago, Original Sin said:

I read sales were down 9 %
 As much as lumber and other home building materials have gone up , you will never see the proper return when you sell

Single-family housing starts dropped more than 13% in April compared with March, the U.S. Census reported Tuesday. That's the sharpest decrease since last April,

Contractors are experiencing unprecedented intensity and range of cost increases, supply-chain disruptions, and worker shortages that have kept firms from increasing their workforces," said Ken Simonson, chief economist with Associated General Contractors of America, an industry trade group. "These challenges will make it difficult for contractors to rebound as the pandemic appears to wane."

Roughly 15% of builders said they are putting down concrete foundations and then holding off on framing the house. This counts officially as a "start" according to the Census monthly figures, but it doesn't create a house.

Not right away anyways.

16 hours ago, Utebird said:

Yup. We tried our darndest to find a place that didn't have HOA and they are few and far between here.

I hate HOA almost as much as the cowboys.

16 hours ago, What The F said:

I went thru it last year. We really wanted to move over to Fort Myers, but every house we liked had an HOA to the tune of $300-$500 a month, along with a 40 page rules booklet. No thanks.  Settled on a lesser home, without an HOA. 

Another reason it's great to live in the sticks.

15 hours ago, NCiggles said:

Meh - Alshon wasn't an issue. He just wasn't worth the money.  

Not sure about that. Wasn't he at least accused of starting the Wentz hate?

15 hours ago, NCiggles said:

Meh - he was an injured player.  I think there would be some sentiment to keep him on the team over a JJAW if is cost was lower.  I would certainly have more confidence in him as a receiver than JJAW or even Reagor at this point.  I mean Ertz stunk last season and was arguably healthier.  It's not like there's this ill will towards him.  I think the ill will from his cost and the likelihood he was the source of the anti-Wentz rumors.  

Well I have zero confidence in either of them

14 hours ago, Utebird said:

It's lazy and Howie has doled out some pretty bad contracts which will keep them from being competitive in FA and resigning up and coming own players for the next couple seasons.

*Fortunately* we don’t have any of those.

Jeffery was never the #1 WR the Eagles acquired him and paid him to be.  Never even got to 850 yards in his best season, often injured (dinged up a lot in CHI too), a bad locker room teammate.  Overall he was money badly spent.

But, hey — he played well in the Super Bowl — and some in here use that as the largest criteria 

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

Bad for the player. Smart for the team.

I think Johnson should be a productive player for the Eagles, especially if Sanders goes down for any length of time. I’d imagine he’d be the primary back up to Sanders.

Howard will be the GL and short yardage back, Scott will be in on third downs and Gainwell will get mop up duty while he learns the offense and pass pro.

1 hour ago, greend said:

Another reason it's great to live in the sticks.

We have practically no HOAs in town but constantly saw residents from newer subdivisions come into borough council meetings asking for ordinances that looked like rules from HOAs.  Most were terrified when I would point out that their subdivisions were zoned residential/agricultural.  I would point out that means their neighbors were welcome to raises chickens, including with a rooster, cows (we did have a pig ordinance like most boroughs), horses and sheep.  Many of those subdivisions border the township and we would try to tell them the borough had no control over what the township zoned those properties or what they allowed. We had people come in an complain about recreational vehicles parked in driveways, long haul trucks parked on the street and business vehicles parked at properties (yep, their neighbor’s work trucks).  We’d point out that our ordinances apply throughout the zoning classification in the borough and not just to their immediate neighbors.  Funny thing is, most of the newer subdivisions have the right to create HOAs.  We would point that out and the people would counter it took the majority of neighbors to do anything.  It was easier in their minds that we pass laws.  

11 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

I think Johnson should be a productive player for the Eagles, especially if Sanders goes down for any length of time. I’d imagine he’d be the primary back up to Sanders.

Howard will be the GL and short yardage back, Scott will be in on third downs and Gainwell will get mop up duty while he learns the offense and pass pro.

They aren’t keeping 5 RBs

23 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

I don't get any of the kerryon Johnson hype.

The dude has ave. 3.5yards/ carry the last two seasons and in his 3 year career has a total of 8 rushing TDS.

He looked good as a rookie then got hurt and has never been the same, he's damaged goods and not sure he even makes the roster.

39 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Thats not an Alshon problem, that was a Doug Pederson head coaching problem. Eagles have the longest stretch without having a 1000 yard receiver in history 

Doug P is a WR killer.

While OC in KC the chiefs went a whole season without a TD to a WR, one has to almost try to accomplish that.

23 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I don't get any of the kerryon Johnson hype.

The dude has ave. 3.5yards/ carry the last two seasons and in his 3 year career has a total of 8 rushing TDS.

He looked good as a rookie then got hurt and has never been the same, he's damaged goods and not sure he even makes the roster.

Last two years:

Jordan Howard - 154 carries, 585 yards, 3.8 ypc, 10 TDs, 11 catches, 66 yards, 1 TD

Boston Scott - 141, 619, 4.4, 6 TDs, 49 catches, 416 yards, 1 TD

Johnson - 165, 584, 5 TDs, 29 catches, 314 yards, 2 TDs

So on the surface, you're right, Scott and Howard have posted better numbers the last two years. But Johnson's best year, as a rookie, he posted:

118 Carries, 641 yards, 5.4 ypc, 3 TDs, with 32 catches for 213 yards and 1 TD. 

Jordan Howard is only 26, but it seems that three straight years of 250+ carries in Chicago just wrecked him. Even in Howard's best year, Johnson did still have a higher YPC in his best year (5.4 to 5.2). 

So people here are excited for the potential that Johnson could have, because it seems Howard is toast due to overuse in Chicago. The most likely scenario is that neither player is very good this year, and next year both are in the FA market looking for a new team. 

EDIT: I should add, that coming from Detroit, which I think hadn't had a 100 yard rusher for like 50 years, people think a change of scenery may benefit him as well. 

I don't see Johnson, Howard or Scott as locks for this team.  I could see any of them being cut.   They all need to earn their spot.

1 hour ago, Blazehound said:

I think Howard is the odd man out and they keep just 4 RBs (Sanders, Johnson, Scott and Gainwell). 

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I don't see Johnson, Howard or Scott as locks for this team.  I could see any of them being cut.   They all need to earn their spot.

Out of those 3, Scott seems like the Easy choice to get rid of.  He does nothing different or special compared to Miles Sanders or Kenny Gainwell.  Gainwell is going to bring a whole new dimension to the passing game out of the backfield. 

Johnson is a new toy.  I'd rather gamble on the unknown/potential of him rather than the little that Scott brings to the game.  

Howard is a bulldozer and has a completely different skill set from the rest.

56 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

He is a flyer, just like Howard.  If they hit, great, #4 RB.  If not, it’s Sanders, Gainwell and Scott.  Either (and I believe it is an either/or situation) one is susceptible to being replaced by cuts by other teams unless they show worthy of being better in TC.  Neither has any speed to lose.  Sanders, Gainwell and Scott are all sub 4.5 RBs with very good agility.  Kerryon tested mediocre in agility pre draft.  7.07 three cone and 4.29 short shuttle.  He’s a one step RB and if the knee cost him that step, he is done and his upright running style makes him easier to hit.  I thought he was over drafted by the Lions.  Howard is more of a bruiser but then again he is a one speed runner and Johnson did have a burst.  That said, Howard was much better at getting skinny in the hole and lowering his pads.  A big issue with both is health. 

Jordan Howard is not a good short yardage power back. Not sure where this idea comes from that he's going to plow through people for tough yards. Dolphins tried that with him, his YPC was 0.6 when he had 1-3 yards to go.

There is really nothing in here that shows me he can be that guy.

9 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Out of those 3, Scott seems like the Easy choice to get rid of.  He does nothing different or special compared to Miles Sanders or Kenny Gainwell.  Gainwell is going to bring a whole new dimension to the passing game out of the backfield. 

Johnson is a new toy.  I'd rather gamble on the unknown/potential of him rather than the little that Scott brings to the game.  

Howard is a bulldozer and has a completely different skill set from the rest.

Did you see the stats that @TorontoEagle posted?  Scott had more catches the last two years than Johnson and Howard combined.  And he has great hands.  He also had a greater YPC than either Howard or Johnson.  And before we anoint Gainwell as something special, let’s see how he runs against NFL competition and that he is a better passing option than Scott.  I would add, he has to pass pro as a pro. Scott can.  Note both he and Sanders were greatly impacted by the injuries on the OL last year.  Acting like Johnson is an unknown or potential is ridiculous.  He and Scott are from the same draft class.  I agree with @Iggles_Phan that all three have to win their roster spots.  Frankly, that includes Gainwell too.  That said, I think based on what we saw from Scott so far, he should have a step on Johnson and/or Howard. 

Scott is a guy you put on the PS and activate for the game against the Giants.  

Archived