EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, TorontoEagle said:

Last two years:

Jordan Howard - 154 carries, 585 yards, 3.8 ypc, 10 TDs, 11 catches, 66 yards, 1 TD

Boston Scott - 141, 619, 4.4, 6 TDs, 49 catches, 416 yards, 1 TD

Johnson - 165, 584, 5 TDs, 29 catches, 314 yards, 2 TDs

So on the surface, you're right, Scott and Howard have posted better numbers the last two years. But Johnson's best year, as a rookie, he posted:

118 Carries, 641 yards, 5.4 ypc, 3 TDs, with 32 catches for 213 yards and 1 TD. 

Jordan Howard is only 26, but it seems that three straight years of 250+ carries in Chicago just wrecked him. Even in Howard's best year, Johnson did still have a higher YPC in his best year (5.4 to 5.2). 

So people here are excited for the potential that Johnson could have, because it seems Howard is toast due to overuse in Chicago. The most likely scenario is that neither player is very good this year, and next year both are in the FA market looking for a new team. 

EDIT: I should add, that coming from Detroit, which I think hadn't had a 100 yard rusher for like 50 years, people think a change of scenery may benefit him as well. 

I don't think either are worth a roster spot.

I think the top 3 backs on the roster are sanders Scott then gainwell.

The 4th and possibly 5th will come down to in no particular Order- Howard, Johnson, Huntley, Holyfield and possibly Killians whose been lining up at slot WR.

A 4th RB on the roster needs to be able to play teams as the likely hood they get into the game otherwise are low.

Huntley and Killians have the most experience in college as returners, Huntley as a KR and Killians I believe did both in college.

Ideally any of them could play punt or kick coverage in various spots, question is would kerryon Johnson and Howard be willing to play cover teams and does there ability to do so while not returning kicks give them an edge over the younger guys that can return kicks and play cover teams?

Holyfield of course doesn't return kicks but he's also not damaged goods like Howard and kerryon.

Ideally the perfect 4th and or 5th back is one that can function at all 3 jobs in the offense, running, blocking, catching) and return kicks and play cover teams 

A guy like Reno Mahe who wasn't super talented lasted a few years in the league because he could do a lot of things just well enough to be of good value as the 53rd man on the roster.

Brian Mitchell who was never a starting RB career lasted well Into his 30s because he good return kicks, punts, play cover teams and run block and catch well enough to not be a liability on offense, not to mention he was the emergency qb.

When I look at roster construction guys like Huntley and Killians can do more than howard and kerryon and at more value to the end of my roster, plus they have a higher likely hood of being available and healthy as neither have an extensive Injury history yet.

Unless either Howard or kerryon look unstoppable in camp and Pre season I'd go with the younger guys that offer more on special teams as the majority of snaps a 4th back will be on teams.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Did you see the stats that @TorontoEagle posted?  Scott had more catches the last two years than Johnson and Howard combined.  And he has great hands.  He also had a greater YPC than either Howard or Johnson.  And before we anoint Gainwell as something special, let’s see how he runs against NFL competition and that he is a better passing option than Scott.  I would add, he has to pass pro as a pro. Scott can.  Note both he and Sanders were greatly impacted by the injuries on the OL last year.  Acting like Johnson is an unknown or potential is ridiculous.  He and Scott are from the same draft class.  I agree with @Iggles_Phan that all three have to win their roster spots.  Frankly, that includes Gainwell too.  That said, I think based on what we saw from Scott so far, he should have a step on Johnson and/or Howard. 

I didn't see the stats.  I do know that Scott has had success in the RZ when given a chance.  I have nothing against Boston Scott, I'm just not overly impressed by him and think he can be upgraded from.  

I'm totally basing my thoughts based on Gainwell's college game but boy can he catch the ball.  His body control and tracking skills are WR like.  I agree that he has to come in and prove himself but IMO, he's a 100% lock to make the team.  

I love Kerryon Johnson's style of play and if he's healthy (big if), he has an all-around game that would be a huge addition to the backfield.  He's an unknown in regards to we haven't seen him as an Eagle yet and I think he still has a ton of potential.  

Howard doesn't excite me at all but I think he offers a different style of play.  

27 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Jordan Howard is not a good short yardage power back. Not sure where this idea comes from that he's going to plow through people for tough yards. Dolphins tried that with him, his YPC was 0.6 when he had 1-3 yards to go.

There is really nothing in here that shows me he can be that guy.

In his defense, that O Line is horrible.  Not many backs gonna get positive yards on some of those plays.

18 minutes ago, downundermike said:

In his defense, that O Line is horrible.  Not many backs gonna get positive yards on some of those plays.

That's a fair point, but I would still want to see him not getting stood up 1 on 1 so many times, or breaking some of those shoe string tackles. He's pretty much going down on his first contact. 

3 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Jeffery was never the #1 WR the Eagles acquired him and paid him to be.  Never even got to 850 yards in his best season, often injured (dinged up a lot in CHI too), a bad locker room teammate.  Overall he was money badly spent.

But, hey — he played well in the Super Bowl — and some in here use that as the largest criteria 

Yeah because it is... 

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

The problem with the running back room is Miles Sanders is gonna get hurt for 3-5 games. No question about it. 

So it now takes 2-3 running backs to what Miles Sanders can do(I think Sanders is good, very complete back, but loves to get injuried)

So you need a J. Johnson, Boston scott laying around until Gainwell can take off the training wheels. 

I know a first time head coach will never decline a HC position but Siriani put him self into a REAL bad spot which may be career suicide. 

Because teams hiring new head coaches are usually in good spots…

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

I didn't see the stats.  I do know that Scott has had success in the RZ when given a chance.  I have nothing against Boston Scott, I'm just not overly impressed by him and think he can be upgraded from.  

I'm totally basing my thoughts based on Gainwell's college game but boy can he catch the ball.  His body control and tracking skills are WR like.  I agree that he has to come in and prove himself but IMO, he's a 100% lock to make the team.  

I love Kerryon Johnson's style of play and if he's healthy (big if), he has an all-around game that would be a huge addition to the backfield.  He's an unknown in regards to we haven't seen him as an Eagle yet and I think he still has a ton of potential.  

Howard doesn't excite me at all but I think he offers a different style of play.  

Again kerryon johnson the last two seasons has ave 3.5 ypc, he averaged 11 yards a game last year with a long of 14 yards.

Since the injury he's a shell of himself, his best asset is as a pass blocker, I don't know too many teams in the league that keep a back on the roster as the 4th RB so that he can pass block a few times a game.

Who knows maybe he'll have a comeback year and show he's totally recovered from his injuries and return to his rookie form, though highly unlikely it could happen I suppose but I wouldn't count on it and I don't think the eagles are either.

At this point he's a take a flier on him and see if you can squeeze anything out of him, I think that well is dried up though

But we'll see.

10 hours ago, The guy in France said:

I can see an optimistic HC but the GM needs to right the ship and just be plain realistic. Pederson was an inmate running the asylum. To me if I put my Monday morning quarterback hat on the biggest mistakes were signing the Jacksons and the extensions of both Alshon and Carson. All those contributed to the cap situation and the backloads, a cascade of. Slay also seems like an overpay considering his age. Did I miss anybody ?

Banner’s vigilance of the cap was the other extreme for example IMO he should have veered off course and shown TO the money. Making good decisions most of the time is what separates the good from the mediocre. Howie needs to do a better job there SC, drafting, FA signings. In total just mediocre

Right — easy to say that now.

But at the time you had what looked to be a young, dynamic HC that the locker room loved and a young, dynamic QB who looked like a generational talent. Obviously it all went down in flames in the end, but at the time, it would be hard to blame them for thinking they had a chance to win a couple rings.

13 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

:offtopic:

Win tonight and root for the Knicks.

When all the 2022 cap space is being discussed, its often ignored how much is going to be needed to re-sign our own guys. 

Should re-sign

Goedert, Mailata, Sweat

Possibly re-sign

Barnett, Maddox, Kelce, Graham, Harris, McLeod, Wilson

Restricted FA's

Scott, Ward, Fulgham, Singleton, Edwards, Herbig

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

When all the 2022 cap space is being discussed, its often ignored how much is going to be needed to re-sign our own guys. 

Should re-sign

Goedert, Mailata, Sweat

Possibly re-sign

Barnett, Maddox, Kelce, Graham, Harris, McLeod, Wilson

Restricted FA's

Scott, Ward, Fulgham, Singleton, Edwards, Herbig

A lot of those guys don't matter.

Graham is already on the roster in 2022 btw. Kelce likely retires at the end of the year.

The only "difficult" decision in that group is Barnett...who I'd still like to trade, but I think we let walk as a UFA.

4 minutes ago, RLC said:

A lot of those guys don't matter.

Graham is already on the roster in 2022 btw. Kelce likely retires at the end of the year.

The only "difficult" decision in that group is Barnett...who I'd still like to trade, but I think we let walk as a UFA.

I guess Spotrac never updated Graham. 

Anyway, Goedert, Mailata, Sweat and even Barnett absolutely matter. We have 1 DE signed in Graham so you need someone with him. S matters because the two starters are FA's with nothing in terms of depth behind them. All presumed starting LB's will be FA's, I say that matters. Point is, a good chunk of the cap space next year is going to be going to home guys before they can spend it in FA.

Just now, WentzFan11 said:

I’d extend him now. He won’t cost as much as Ertz did. 

Ertz is only getting $8.5 million/year.  I think DG's extension is going to put him easily over $10 million/year.

If you look at the tight end situation without your Eagles fans glasses (not you WF, just people in general) it's easy to see how the Eagles have really mismanaged the position.  

-Zach Ertz was a 28 year-old All-Pro tight end in his prime yet they used their 1st pick in 2018 on Dallas Goedert while there were players at other positions who would have helped (DJ Chark,  Brian O'Neill,  James Washington to name a few).

-Drafting DG put the writing on the wall for Ertz.  There was no way he was going to re-sign here with a top rookie backing him up.

-Goedert however, continually has nagging injuries so he doesn't progress as fast as possible so Ertz is still relied on.

-Instead of trading him when his value was at it's highest, they offered a lowball contract which in turn pissed of Ertz.

-Ertz, now disgruntled is told he isn't being traded and begins to sulk, giving minimal effort.  However, he still has a trade market.

-Howie overplays his cards and holds on to Ertz, despite some demand for him.

-Ertz gets hurt and now can't be traded.

- Howie is getting offers prior to 2021 draft but insists on holding out for a better deal...teams interested make other moves for TE.

-Draft over, Ertz still here, June 1st is here.

-Dallas Goedert has all of the leverage here.  The Eagles completely misplayed their cards by not unloading Ertz at the right time.  He's an Eagles legend and is going to either be cut or traded for pennies.  They also have failed to bring in any sort of young talent behind DG who could develop in to TE2.  The cupboard is BARE behind DG minus two position change projects.  If they can't manage to bring Goedert back they are going to not only lose Ertz for nothing/next to nothing but they will also lose his replacement and have nothing at all.  They've made it where they HAVE to sign Goedert no matter what the number. 

38 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

I’d extend him now. He won’t cost as much as Ertz did. 

Jonnu Smith hasn't ever had over 450 yards and he just got a deal averaging $12.5M. Goedert is going to cost more than Ertz did at $8.5M

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Jonnu Smith hasn't ever had over 450 yards and he just got a deal averaging $12.5M. Goedert is going to cost more than Ertz did at $8.5M

Same with Hunter Henry ( 12.5 m average ), best season 60 for 613, 4 TD's, and Austin Hooper ( 10.5 m average ), 75 for 787, 6 TD's.

Goedert's best season, 58, 607, 5 TD's while in a time share with Ertz for snaps.  He is getting more than 10 million per.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Same with Hunter Henry ( 12.5 m average ), best season 60 for 613, 4 TD's, and Austin Hooper ( 10.5 m average ), 75 for 787, 6 TD's.

Goedert's best season, 58, 607, 5 TD's while in a time share with Ertz for snaps.  He is getting more than 10 million per.

this would be a lot of new money. I wonder where Howie will find that since we are in such bad shape. 

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

this would be a lot of new money. I wonder where Howie will find that since we are in such bad shape. 

Just do what he did this year, take 2023 cap space and cut it by 2/3.

13 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

This is why I suggested trading Goedert for a 2nd and change in the draft and hanging on to Ertz for 1-2 more years.  

The Eagles still have lots of holes, aging veterans to replace and not much room to do so.  Spending $10-$12 million on a tight end seems like a luxury they can't afford right now when there are so many other positions to upgrade.

Listening to Avant’s podcast...

* Dillard was too weak and timid. A bad combination. Loves his feet. 

* Talked about the same stuff Maddox did. His eye discipline is bad and it makes him susceptible to biting on fakes. He made a joke that he could give him a shoulder fake and he’d jump off the screen. 

22 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

* Talked about the same stuff Maddox did. His eye discipline is bad and it makes him susceptible to biting on fakes. He made a joke that he could give him a shoulder fake and he’d jump off the screen. 

I think Maddox is going to really benefit from the change to a zone heavy scheme, where he will be guarding space and not a man. Avant noted that there are some guys who never get over their initial response in biting on a fake, and it would seem that guys like that are never going to be good in man.

Archived