EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

He was PFF’s highest graded pocket passer in 2019. He led the NFL in TD passes. 

You guys are nuts. 

I refuse to call him a QB anymore.  Watching that game made me feel more hopeless than watching our offense.

All the negativity in here asks for a worse QB situation and situation moving forward than our Eagles...I nominate the Baltimore Ravens as my answer.  They are going to be saddled to that running back for years to come (and the coach who chooses to run this freshman HS football offense).  At least we are looking for a QB.

9 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I refuse to call him a QB anymore.  Watching that game made me feel more hopeless than watching our offense.

All the negativity in here asks for a worse QB situation and situation moving forward than our Eagles...I nominate the Baltimore Ravens as my answer.  They are going to be saddled to that running back for years to come (and the coach who chooses to run this freshman HS football offense).  At least we are looking for a QB.

Who said we are looking for a QB?

Everything I’ve read has said that Lowie still think Wentz can play at 2017 levels and prefer candidates who also believe that.

4 minutes ago, Parrot Head said:

Who said we are looking for a QB?

Everything I’ve read has said that Lowie still think Wentz can play at 2017 levels and prefer candidates who also believe that.

I think Lowie is just stacking the narrative.  He referred to Wentz as an asset.  

Blame Doug this year.  Blame Wentz next year.

They don't want Wentz on the bench at that contract number; it's a bad look.  But once it's water under the bridge and they can afford to unload him and spin it that his attitude went bad and he became an entitled, uncoachable brat, they'll be happy to move on.

While this FO is not bright, I don't think they are expecting Wentz to reach back into 2017.  

21 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

He was PFF’s highest graded pocket passer in 2019. He led the NFL in TD passes. 

You guys are nuts. 

Obviously you're not going to go back and watch the Ravens, but look at highlights at least.  A majority of his TD's were inside the 10 yard line feasting on the D coming up respecting his legs breaking the pocket.  Look at these stats from that season...and their YPC.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/team/2019-baltimore-ravens-85/2019/stats

3 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

It’s not more than enough. Watson is an easy top 10 QB, who many could argue is top 5. He’s also only 25. A high caliber player at the most important position in the league who is a proven veteran yet still very young would be the hottest commodity to hit the draft market in a very long time. Instead of thinking of teams who would trade for Watson it’s harder to think of teams who wouldn’t want to trade for Watson. 

Again This is Texans who were dumb enough to trade Hop for a 2nd and a player past his prime. But look at guys similar to Watson in skill/age but lower positional value that have been traded in recent years. Tunsil/Adams/Ramsey for two 1 round picks. Then look at positional value; WAS traded 3 first round picks for RG3, MIA still gave up a 2nd for a very unproven Rosen, MIN sent a 1st for freaking Bradford. 

Watson would require a minimum of two first round picks and a second. That’s bare minimum & would also require a desperate Texans front office. 

agree 100%. Watson can complain all he wants about playing for the Texans but in the NFL the owners have all the weight. He can sit, lose millions and not make a dent in his contract years either. He is handling it all the wrong ways for NFL players. It is not the NBA.

If the eagles were to trade for him the ONLY package we could put together that MIGHT work I think would be our 6th, Next years 1st. Wentz and maybe Ertz + someone else.

I was reading somewhere 96ers were sniffing around offering bosa as a trade piece. No way we could match that with the Roster we have right now. We don't have a Bosa, we have a (who?). its bad.

23 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Delegating authority is not of itself a bad thing. Delegating it to the wrong people is. Reid delegating to Jim Johnson was good, to  Sean McDermott not so much. McDermott is clearly a good coach but he wasn't ready. Jim Lee Howell won championships by reading a newspaper in his office. He delegated everything -  offense to Vince Lombardi, defense to Tom Landry. Ditka dleegated the defense to Buddy Ryan.

Damn, the points you are making are to real for some of the members here to process 🙂

Also keep in mind some people like Dougie would always "double down" on their choices too. This just made it a lot worse.

7 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Obviously you're not going to go back and watch the Ravens, but look at highlights at least.  A majority of his TD's were inside the 10 yard line feasting on the D coming up respecting his legs breaking the pocket.  Look at these stats from that season...and their YPC.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/team/2019-baltimore-ravens-85/2019/stats

He still was quite good from the pocket last year. I’m not pretending like his legs weren’t a major factor in how he played or how defenses played him, but you and others can’t ignore that he threw the ball well last year. 

20 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I think Lowie is just stacking the narrative.  He referred to Wentz as an asset.  

Blame Doug this year.  Blame Wentz next year.

They don't want Wentz on the bench at that contract number; it's a bad look.  But once it's water under the bridge and they can afford to unload him and spin it that his attitude went bad and he became an entitled, uncoachable brat, they'll be happy to move on.

While this FO is not bright, I don't think they are expecting Wentz to reach back into 2017.  

Lol, Lowie !!

That cracked me up. 

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

I’m hoping they go Staley but i have a hard time believing they don’t go daboll if he wants to be there unless spanos is being a cheap ass. Which is highly likely 

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

He still was quite good from the pocket last year. I’m not pretending like his legs weren’t a major factor in how he played or how defenses played him, but you and others can’t ignore that he threw the ball well last year. 

The argument is not that he can't put up stats.  The argument is that his style of play is unsustainable in the playoffs.  3 years, 1 victory.  And that one victory came in a game where he was nearly as productive running as he was passing (17 for 179 passing with 1 INT, 16 for 136 rushing and 1 TD).  It could, in fact, be argued that they won despite his passing.  Last night - 9 for 34.  The year before, he had 20 carries, but the rest of the team had only 9.  And he barely cracked 50% completions, 1 TD and 2 INT.   And the year before that, 9 rushes, 14 completions (under 50% completion pct.) and still the leading rusher of the team.

That's not sustainable in the playoffs.  1-3 playoff record with below average to just plain bad passing numbers.  

You can argue regular season stats all you want, but if we are talking about what to emulate for the Eagles moving forward, the Ravens are not it from an offensive standpoint.

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The argument is not that he can't put up stats.  The argument is that his style of play is unsustainable in the playoffs.  3 years, 1 victory.  And that one victory came in a game where he was nearly as productive running as he was passing (17 for 179 passing with 1 INT, 16 for 136 rushing and 1 TD).  It could, in fact, be argued that they won despite his passing.  Last night - 9 for 34.  The year before, he had 20 carries, but the rest of the team had only 9.  And he barely cracked 50% completions, 1 TD and 2 INT.   And the year before that, 9 rushes, 14 completions (under 50% completion pct.) and still the leading rusher of the team.

That's not sustainable in the playoffs.  1-3 playoff record with below average to just plain bad passing numbers.  

You can argue regular season stats all you want, but if we are talking about what to emulate for the Eagles moving forward, the Ravens are not it from an offensive standpoint.

I’m talking about the notion that Lamar Jackson is a running back. That’s just dumb. 

1 hour ago, justrelax said:

Delegating authority is not of itself a bad thing. Delegating it to the wrong people is. Reid delegating to Jim Johnson was good, to  Sean McDermott not so much. McDermott is clearly a good coach but he wasn't ready. Jim Lee Howell won championships by reading a newspaper in his office. He delegated everything -  offense to Vince Lombardi, defense to Tom Landry. Ditka dleegated the defense to Buddy Ryan.

100% agree with this.

A head coach's job is to figure out who you can delegate to and who you can't.

Giving the run game to Stoutland/Duce? Sure. 
Giving the keys to the QB to Press Taylor? That's what you got fired.

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

I’m talking about the notion that Lamar Jackson is a running back. That’s just dumb. 

Well, I never claimed that.  But he's a far bigger threat as a pure runner, than as a pure passer.  If not for his dual threat ability, he'd be sunk as a QB right now.  He needs to learn how to play QB in the NFL.  The Ravens embraced the collage style offense, which is great against worse defenses and when your QB gets replaced every 2-4 years.  

Lamar Jackson is Michael Vick redux, but with a lesser arm.

Vick was spectacular, until the NFL caught up with him. Mush rush, force him to make reads from the pocket, same thing Buffalo did to Jackson.

If Vick had started his career with AR, he might have been a much better QB.

13 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Lamar Jackson is Michael Vick redux, but with a lesser arm.

Vick was spectacular, until the NFL caught up with him. Mush rush, force him to make reads from the pocket, same thing Buffalo did to Jackson.

If Vick had started his career with AR, he might have been a much better QB.

Vick's ability to run was so tantalizing that I'm not sure ANY HC in 2001 who was field level could resist the temptation to encourage him to tuck, run, make plays with his feet, and develop bad habits as a passer.  If anyone could have done a better job with him, it was AR, but I still don't think it would have worked.

By now, people should know better with Jackson.  

A lot of you bashed Wentz and called him a crybaby for supposedly going to the media even when he didn't. Also bashed him because of a report that Press Taylor coddles him

Watson has publicly stated he's unhappy because his opinion on the GM and HC hiring's have been getting ignored...

Make that make sense

Watson is a top 5 QB playing well Wentz is a bottom 5

9 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

A lot of you bashed Wentz and called him a crybaby for supposedly going to the media even when he didn't. Also bashed him because of a report that Press Taylor coddles him

Watson has publicly stated he's unhappy because his opinion on the GM and HC hiring's have been getting ignored...

Make that make sense

The Texans were hijacked by a conman. 

I was reading through the Blog during the playoff games yesterday and read a few comments regarding specific coaching candidates relative to the teams’ performance in that one game.  A lot of it was hot take stuff, but I do have to agree I’ve cooled on Brian Daboll as a candidate, in terms of how he runs his offense.

I did a comparison between the 2017 Eagles team and this year’s Bills offense.  The Bills throw the football about 59% of the time, compared to the Eagles 54%.  Allen’s completion percentage was much higher than the Eagles — 69% compared to 60.5% for the 2017 Eagles.

For this season in particular, Daboll had Josh Allen throw an average of 37 passes per game; there were 7 games where Allen threw 40+ passes — for a 13-3 team.  I don’t see that as the preferred way forward for Wentz; I believe to be most effective Wentz needs to be around 30-32 passes per game, complemented by a strong running game at about 130 yards per game average on the ground.  I don’t think that’s the offense Daboll would bring.

Compare that to Joe Brady running the offense for the 5-11 Panthers in his first season there.  Granted, he had a game manager in Bridgewater for a QB, but he was also missing his franchise RB in McCaffrey for 13 games.  The Panthers were likely playing from behind most games, but Brady had Bridgewater throwing 33 times per game and, without McCaffrey, had 107 yards per game on the ground.  For me this seems more in line for an offense that Wentz could return to form.

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

The Texans were hijacked by a conman. 

So he can throw a fit and request a trade because of O'Brien?

What happens when he doesn't like what Eagles are doing?

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

So he can throw a fit and request a trade because of O'Brien?

What happens when he doesn't like what Eagles are doing?

They traded Hopkins without telling him a year ago then assured him he would be included in decision making moving forward and was not on their GM hiring.

Archived