**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

5 hours ago, Procus said:

Most people reading this don't remember the Flyers of the 70's.  After getting pushed around, the Flyers added tough guys to roster.  They led the league in penalty minutes and were hated bullies.  They also won 2 Stanley Cups, consecutive championships.

Sixers look like they're taking a page out of Philly sports history in their own way.

In hockey you can knock around the other team all night.  Score 1 or 2 goals and win. 

In basketball,  you have to score like 120 points.  You need talent with the toughness. 

43 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

In hockey you can knock around the other team all night.  Score 1 or 2 goals and win. 

In basketball,  you have to score like 120 points.  You need talent with the toughness. 

You need both. They had some talent last year, but lacked the tough dudes. So they added some. 

• Like 1

Just now, nipples said:

You need both. They had some talent last year, but lacked the tough dudes. So they added some. 

yes I know.

As I said...

10 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Well, the team sure did add some dogs. A lot of dogs.

I dont know if there is enough talent on the bench. But it has toughness for sure.

We will see how far that gets us.

7 hours ago, Procus said:

Most people reading this don't remember the Flyers of the 70's.  After getting pushed around, the Flyers added tough guys to roster.  They led the league in penalty minutes and were hated bullies.  They also won 2 Stanley Cups, consecutive championships.

Sixers look like they're taking a page out of Philly sports history in their own way.

Yeah.  50 years later and a different sport.  Great comp.  

• Haha 1

The biggest addition to the Sixers this year is the reduction in Thybulles minutes.  I'd still like to see him moved.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

The biggest addition to the Sixers this year is the reduction in Thybulles minutes.  I'd still like to see him moved.  

They have 2 more players than they are allowed to carry on the roster.

Can see 2 of- Shake, Kork, Thybulle being traded, or waived. 

Hopefully can work out a trade for guys like Thybulle, Shake, and Kork. Even if its 2nd round picks. 

Or trading one of those, with Paul Reed for a SF/PF like Rudy Gay would make sense. Reed and Harrell are redundant no offense hustle guys in the front court. Could use Gay's shooting.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Hopefully can work out a trade for guys like Thybulle, Shake, and Kork. Even if its 2nd round picks. 

Or trading one of those, with Paul Reed for a SF/PF like Rudy Gay would make sense. Reed and Harrell are redundant no offense hustle guys in the front court. Could use Gay's shooting.

Rudy Hay couldn't shoot when he was with Memphis and doubt at 35 he has improved that. Keep Reed 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

How is Harrell a no offense guy? His per 36 last year was 20.4 points. Year before was 21.2. 

1 minute ago, nipples said:

How is Harrell a no offense guy? His per 36 last year was 20.4 points. 

He is at 3.6 offensive rebounds so he gets a lot of points that way. He has a decent baseline jumper but that about it

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

He is at 3.6 offensive rebounds so he gets a lot of points that way. He has a decent baseline jumper but that about it

Just saying, he’s not an offensive black hole. I don’t think he can be compared to Reed when his per 36 scoring is significantly higher than Reed’s. 

56 minutes ago, nipples said:

How is Harrell a no offense guy? His per 36 last year was 20.4 points. Year before was 21.2. 

He scores the range way as Reggie Evans and Andre Drummond scored.  Put back points. No offense.

11 minutes ago, nipples said:

Just saying, he’s not an offensive black hole. I don’t think he can be compared to Reed when his per 36 scoring is significantly higher than Reed’s. 

There is no gravity on the bench unit.  That's the point.  Could use a scorer or 2 off the bench rather than nothing but toughness.

doc will come up with some awesome rotation to keep 2 or 3 scorers on the court at all times. he wouldn't be stupid enough to go with an all bench lineup. no way!  :nonono:  

• Haha 2

On 9/7/2022 at 2:13 AM, Procus said:

Yeah I know its a dumb fan thing to cross compare sports like this, especially when talking about not being gritty/tough/"Philly" enough, but I've been begging for this with this Sixers team for the last few years. Ever since we lost 4-1 to the Celtics in 2018 or whenever that was. This team has been desperate for a Morris brother or a PatBev type. Finally got one in PJT and adding to that here with Harrell. So I'll take it.

Also probably some addition by subtraction recently in just not having Simmons anymore be such a big part of your team image/makeup, a guy who can pile up the stats in the regular season, but every game he comes out there one of the vets on the other team is going to own him and rip him to shreds for his anxiety ridden fear of shooting the freaking basketball. It must've made Embiid feel a certain way knowing thats who he was going to war with everyday since Jimmy Butler bounced. And he towed the line and stuck up with him the whole time, until he couldn't anymore. 

But yeah, Embiid, Maxey, Harden and the Rockets goon squad is the new team make up. And the goon squad is gonna need to excel in their roles while also providing the much needed toughness this team has lacked. The blueprint is there, lets see what happens. 

8 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

Yeah I know its a dumb fan thing to cross compare sports like this, especially when talking about not being gritty/tough/"Philly" enough, but I've been begging for this with this Sixers team for the last few years. Ever since we lost 4-1 to the Celtics in 2018 or whenever that was. This team has been desperate for a Morris brother or a PatBev type. Finally got one in PJT and adding to that here with Harrell. So I'll take it.

Also probably some addition by subtraction recently in just not having Simmons anymore be such a big part of your team image/makeup, a guy who can pile up the stats in the regular season, but every game he comes out there one of the vets on the other team is going to own him and rip him to shreds for his anxiety ridden fear of shooting the freaking basketball. It must've made Embiid feel a certain way knowing thats who he was going to war with everyday since Jimmy Butler bounced. And he towed the line and stuck up with him the whole time, until he couldn't anymore. 

But yeah, Embiid, Maxey, Harden and the Rockets goon squad is the new team make up. And the goon squad is gonna need to excel in their roles while also providing the much needed toughness this team has lacked. The blueprint is there, lets see what happens. 

We did have a tough team the year we played Miami with Joel's broken face. And the Nets I think may have been that year. I remember some other physical series. I think Kurucs was trying to be their goon.

Teams tried to get physical with Philly, and the 6ers ate it up and outphysicaled them.

Then there was the fight with Minnesota where Ben chocked KAT till he tapped.

After that, they got soft for a bit.

23 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

We did have a tough team the year we played Miami with Joel's broken face. And the Nets I think may have been that year. I remember some other physical series. I think Kurucs was trying to be their goon.

Teams tried to get physical with Philly, and the 6ers ate it up and outphysicaled them.

Then there was the fight with Minnesota where Ben chocked KAT till he tapped.

After that, they got soft for a bit.

yeah they had some moments. I just never felt like they were fully equipped to go into Boston and win a playoff series. I still don't know if they are. We currently still have our best player being our Center, and the 2nd best being a top 75 player of all time who just got back into incredible shape.... but still has his own playoff ghosts that haunt him. 

I consider the Jimmy Butler season an outlier just because of how brief it was. Obviously if that team could've stayed together/ended up selling off Benamin at his highest value, thats where you would've achieved peak ToUgHnEsS and maybe even won the bubble championship, considering how well Butler played that season. 

But to bring it back to the original point, I have been wanting PJ Tucker for years, for all the reasons we're talking about here. I just hope we didnt get him too late. 

Korkmaz had the most Koromaz game ever against France

Brad Stevens was watching them play

On 9/10/2022 at 8:02 AM, Mat said:

Korkmaz had the most Koromaz game ever against France

Brad Stevens was watching them play

Cant tell if you mean he was good or bad lol

probably both

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ToastJenkins said:

Cant tell if you mean he was good or bad lol

probably both

Exactly this. He looked awful, then turned into a microwave and was hitting ridiculous shots and drawing fouls from 3 to almost win them the game. He then turned back into a pumpkin by turning it over right at the end of the game to seal the French win 

any of the other old farts on here remember when the sixers traded moses malone for cliff robinson & jeff ruland...and then traded the #1 overall pick for roy hinson...all in the same day?  

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/moses-malone-brad-daugherty-charles-barkley-julius-erving#:~:text=Yet%2C a year removed from,Sixers also traded the No.

that sheet makes billy king seem competent!  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

any of the other old farts on here remember when the sixers traded moses malone for cliff robinson & jeff ruland...and then traded the #1 overall pick for roy hinson...all in the same day?  

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/moses-malone-brad-daugherty-charles-barkley-julius-erving#:~:text=Yet%2C a year removed from,Sixers also traded the No.

Could have had Moses and Brad Dougherty but no........

2 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

Sadly yes.