Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

4 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

I mean Rodgers has been a good backup TE lol I’m not thinking he is pro bowler or even mid tier starter but definitely could do a lot worse. Decent blocker decent receiver. Definitely misses plays. 

Honestly Rodgers to me would be the perfect backup to Geodart(if we move Ertz) next year should be cheap and serviceable if thrust into action. I’d also image moving Ertz would mean we are looking to go more 3-4 WR sets and go away from 2 TE sets so should only need 1 good TE and a decent backup. 

I would prefer my backup TE to be a good blocker.  The idea of the 2 TE set is to put the defense into a situation where they have to match size or you run the ball at them.  Rodgers isn't causing mismatches.. if they leave him open he doesn't drop the ball, but that doesn't help the matchups.   Right now, our offense is not good at blocking, especially at the skill positions.  We can't seem to pick up a blitz nor get a bubble screen going.  Simple stuff, we need to add missing elements.  That should come from your backups.  

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opeta to IR with a back issue. Peters questionable with turf toe. Driscoll is a full go, as is Herbig. It will be interesting to see what they do on Monday.

Also the Lions fired their coach. Which isn't surprising. But he's a candidate for DC if the Eagles move on from Schwartz. Was good as the DC in NE.

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Howie has made a complete mess out of the cap

So don't pay Carson? The fact that Ertz became a one of the leagues best TE's, so he should not be paid either? Could Howie have predicted this? Could he have predicted we are so bad neither of these guys is effective? Alshon and Djax should not have been paid? (in hindsight due to injury probably not but you can't predict injuries-that's Howies fault?) This was the year we "got it together" and were suppose to be in contention. What's Howies fault is failure to draft the right players, forcing him to go out and buy FA's. Take that part away and I would be fine with his contractual expertise. If you notice the teams that are competitive MOST years,they promote from within. We can't develop players well enough to do that at alot of positions. Even the top teams may have a bad year,but they fix it and they show up again at playoff time the next year or 2. We now just strive for .500. SO yes in a roundabout way some IS Howies fault, because he doesn't draft well. We need that changed IMO

Thats why we need a REAL GM who knows how to draft,who can find the guys who can develop players. Case in point- Sanders. After we got him NO real BU selected,so now what? we gotta pay Howard again because we got no guys on rookie contracts that are worth much. Scott was a pleasant surprise,but kind of LUCK that he worked out some. Still he cannot take the reins if Sanders goes down. This, from my biz experience, is pretty easy to see. We found out overpaid WR's aren't the way to go and it seems we are correcting that(*more by lack of choice than proper planning). Now do that with the other positions. If you are doing it right,there is a constant flow of new talent to where you have the leverage. If a guy demands too much he can move on because you know the next guy up won;t change a dang thing and you draft that new guys replacement. One of my jobs was to go into a biz as an "employee" and find out where the problems were. So this issue is fairly easy for me to see. It's a bit tougher because I am not "inside", still it's hard to just ignore it

Monday, I don't care if we win or lose really(A W is always nice though) I want us to play good solid consistent ball.If we get beat by a better team, I wouldn't say nuttin. Just show me some kind of cohesive team that makes few mistakes. If we get outplayed so be it.But if we played our best ball or close to it, I could not complain. We're running with alot of 3rd string guys still ,so I can't expect starter play everywhere. Still I want to see good solid play and play calls that make sense(aka as intelligence) and the million dollar babies need to show me how they lead a team and make everyone else around them better

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

would prefer my backup TE to be a good blocker.  The idea of the 2 TE set is to put the defense into a situation where they have to match size or you run the ball at them.  Rodgers isn't causing mismatches.. if they leave him open he doesn't drop the ball, but that doesn't help the matchups.

Yes like a stated Rodgers isn’t a world beater TE but again lot worse in a backup TE... He isn’t a terrible blocker either does he miss stuff yup all players do. Point is to me way more pressing needs over the backup TE. I’d could live with another year of Rodgers as a backup TE with Geodart starting.

Not sure who your standard is for blocking TE but not many great blocking TEs in today’s NFL 

37 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Alshon and Djax should not have been paid?

Alston got paid after a good first year in philly on which he was a big part of us getting to a SB and winning... Also had a very very good 2nd year as well think people tend to forget about had the drop vs the Saints. 

He never put up the elite stats but he did command a teams best CB and won some matchup against them. 

Not sure what happened was a clearly falling out between both sides but can’t fault Alston for not wanting to risk his body on a team he doesn’t feel wanted him or appreciated him and can’t fault Philly for not wanting to play him and trying to trade him just one of those things.

Domo: Doug Pederson clearly is frustrated right now with what’s happening. There are people both inside and outside of the organization who have told me he wouldn’t be totally unhappy if he ends up getting fired. He won’t have any trouble getting another head job. He might have more say over personnel someplace else. What do you think? 
[...] Banner: If he is — and I doubt he is — reaching the point where he’s kind of had it, he’s probably just frustrated with internal dynamics and maybe some things that he had to do that didn’t work out, or things that he would like to do that he isn’t being allowed to do. That’s when it becomes a little hopeless as a head coach and makes you feel like you can’t overcome it. If anything is going on, that’s likely the cause rather than the external pressure of negative stories and talk-show criticism. [BLG Note: I will once again direct you to 
this Tony Pauline report from mid-September: "There are some rumblings from people inside the league who I spoke with earlier this week who feel that Doug Pederson may have reached his limit. Doug Pederson may be stressed out a little bit. Basically, it’s not going to get any better for Doug Pederson.”]

I have felt the internal dynamics are odd for Doug... Just seems like he has no real control over anything. Reports stated Howie had say on 53 man roster and who active... Schwartz hiring as DC before Doug got announced as HC.... Plenty of stories of the dynamic between those two and them not getting along...  mix messaged press conference Doug says one thing opposite happens(could just be Doug)... Groh situation etc. 

BTW Denver has NO QB's for sundays tilt vs the ravens. We should hire Elway,he is inept enough to fit right it

16 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Alston got paid after a good first year in philly on which he was a big part of us getting to a SB and winning... Also had a very very good 2nd year as well think people tend to forget about had the drop vs the Saints. 

He never put up the elite stats but he did command a teams best CB and won some matchup against them. 

Not sure what happened was a clearly falling out between both sides but can’t fault Alston for not wanting to risk his body on a team he doesn’t feel wanted him or appreciated him and can’t fault Philly for not wanting to play him and trying to trade him just one of those things.

The arguement was not how he played,it was about should he be paid and why that was Howies fault

Just now, GreenbleedinNC said:

The arguement was not how he played,it was about should he be paid and why that was Howies fault

I mean doesn’t your play determine your pay.... I don’t fault the contract to Alshon because of the previous play he gave us hindsight now it sucks but at the time he looked worth it 

5 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

I have felt the internal dynamics are odd for Doug... Just seems like he has no real control over anything. Reports stated Howie had say on 53 man roster and who active... Schwartz hiring as DC before Doug got announced as HC.... Plenty of stories of the dynamic between those two and them not getting along...  mix messaged press conference Doug says one thing opposite happens(could just be Doug)... Groh situation etc. 

He needs to stop calling bonehead plays. He needs to NOT give up the running game.He controls all that

1 minute ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

I mean doesn’t your play determine your pay.... I don’t fault the contract to Alshon because of the previous play he gave us hindsight now it sucks but at the time he looked worth it 

Yeah that was what the discussion about- Howie's killing the cap. So,I mean we have to pay somebody.The fact they got hurt wasn't on Howie It's sad we spent the loot,but once again I don't feel that's on Howie per se . But as stated,I did find fault for him in a roundabout way by lack of draft skills 

Thats why I opt for a real GM. A guy who can draft, and hit FA and tell Howie "here's the guy I want make it happen" and take the player CHOICES away from Howie

4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

He needs to stop calling bonehead plays. He needs to NOT give up the running game.He controls all that

Sure then he is faulted for guy not executing play could be perfectly designed and it’s just missed that on Doug even if he is forced playing guys he doesn’t want.... He is forced to juggle the QB room I have to image Doug had no interest in drafting Hurts image he would have rather had someone that could actually aid his O. Doug didn’t get to keep his staff guys that effects a lot as well.... 

If your stressed and frustrated at your job you likely not producing at your best. 

Wentz refused to throw the ball away, despite facing regular pressure and playing in rainy conditions.(RE Browns game)   This jumped right out at me,have been saying this awhile

In looking at the matched stat lines in the above article,we can clearly see Wentz lost this game. Most stats were pretty even except the turnovers/picks. I believe he has lost his downfield vision. he is not going through his check offs fast enough and he is not hitting open WR's. The ones he does hit he stares down. These are rook mistakes

Carson Wentz leads the NFL in BOTH interceptions (14) AND fumbles (10).     

2 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Yes like a stated Rodgers isn’t a world beater TE but again lot worse in a backup TE... He isn’t a terrible blocker either does he miss stuff yup all players do. Point is to me way more pressing needs over the backup TE. I’d could live with another year of Rodgers as a backup TE with Geodart starting.

Not sure who your standard is for blocking TE but not many great blocking TEs in today’s NFL 

My standard is simple...  the 2nd TE coming in the game and he gives an edge wtih blocking... a push, some physical dominance over a smaller player and can hold his own vs a DE when needed.  He could catch one pass a game, yet still have nice impact in situational football, which I think our team lacks right now.  ST, goal line, short yardage, pass protection on key 3rd downs.   " You can do worse than him, there are worse backups out there... he doesn't drop the ball when they leave him open...etc"   Doesn't impact anything.   I have no issue with Rodgers coming back as a #3 TE.  I prefer us getting a blocking TE and a RB that can be used in a rotation to help with both carries (since Sanders isn't going to be a 20 carry a game guy, not with Doug) and also pass protection.   If that guy is a good short yardage RB, even better.    The team needs situational pieces.  Since I am willing to let the young kids develop for a year, I'm not looking for big investments in the offense... with that being the case, I need to improve situationally.  I am looking at what compliments Goedert and Sanders... those two pieces I feel would work excellent. 

A big key... we need one young OL to step up to be a plus starter, not just solid.   If it's Mailata, where he cleans up the dumb mistakes where he lets guys beat him right off the snap) that would be ideal.  If we can lock our left side up with him and Seamulo, then let the current right side of Lane and Brooks come back... if they stay healthy for a season, we can build off of that.  I hope Kelce plays one more year, we don't save cap if he retires, so would be great getting one more year.  

If we stabilize these things.... OL, add strategic skill pieces, let the young WRs play.   I think it puts us in good shape going forward.  Also think it changes how the coach and the QB perform when they have more to work with.    Throw in a lot of youth with draft picks on the defense... it's a good building point for 2022 and beyond when we will have cap space to get some FAs

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

We will have to agree to disagree.  Howie has made a complete mess out of the cap ... like the Winter Warlock in Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, he has lost his magic.  At this point it is best they just cut bait with him IMO. 

There was never cap " magic" ... he had room to make moves with contracts.   It's why I don;t think he gets fired like some people here want.  I don't think this whole situation was any surprise to anyone on the organization.  They don't shoot from the hip without long term plans.     I believe they were looking at a retool next year anyway, looking to get younger.

But lets talk draft.   We know Howie was involved from 2016 until now.... 5 drafts.  We also know Joe Douglas was involved from 2017 to 2019

If you had to rank the drafts from 2016 to 2020 ... how would you rank them?  Prior to that ... you could say 2012 and 2013 were pretty good drafts?  Guess who had influence on those 2?  

Where I am getting at, I don't think Lurie fires Howie.  I think they share the same vision long term for the team, and I think Lurie feels that Howie had more influence on the drafts that we could say were better.  Hurts was drafted as a long term piece, saves cap space as a cheap backup.   You don't make that pick if you are fighting for a job in one year.  The owner wouldn't sign off on it either.    

Now Doug on the other hand, you can critique more game to game.  He may be in trouble, but who knows.  I think Duce is next in line as HC, just not sure when.  Something will change with the offensive structure next year ... not sure what happens to Doug.   They may add another college scout or personnel type guy, but Howie isn't going anywhere.  Regardless, the team is getting younger ... by a lot next year.  

14 hours ago, joemas6 said:

What is the main reason you think the team has regressed?  Use Brooks as an example.... arguably the best player on the team in the way he played consistently and the level he dominated.  Anything on common about each year since 2017?

What is the main reason? If you're trying to make injuries a reason then yeah that's part of it. But I think there are many reasons. This offense went from creative and doing things differently to other teams to being very dull and mundane. 

7 hours ago, joemas6 said:

There was never cap " magic" ... he had room to make moves with contracts.   It's why I don;t think he gets fired like some people here want.  I don't think this whole situation was any surprise to anyone on the organization.  They don't shoot from the hip without long term plans.     I believe they were looking at a retool next year anyway, looking to get younger.

There was a time when Howie was lauded here and around the league for his ability to manipulate the cap - we never seemed to be in cap trouble.  But he has made some really questionable moves since.  He didn't need to restructure Jeffery's contract in 2019 - sure it created more cap space but at that time more space wasn't needed (and wasn't used).  It only made it impossible to move on from him.  The act of continually kicking the can down the road with him and many aging vets on the roster (Brooks, Johnson, Cox, etc.) makes it virtually impossible to move on from any of them due to enormous dead money hits that would be incurred.  

Sure we'll get younger by moving on from the likes of Curry, Peters, DJax, Jeffery, etc. (and in the process absorb close to $20M in dead money hit to the cap), but at this point, it is what it is and it is needed).  We just need to start drafting much better than we have to add young talent to the pipeline that could be ready to step in and play at a reasonably high level for those that are jettisoned - that is another area where Howie has failed.  

I think this team needs more than just a "re-tool".  The offensive coaching staff as a whole just stinks ... they all need to go.  And because he runs the offense, that means the HC needs to go too (if he is unwilling to give up control of the offense and play calling duties, which I'd guess would be the case).  I don't think this is actually going to happen (yet), but if they are going to blow this thing up, they really need to start fresh with a new GM who has a vision, a strong plan for achieving that vision, and a much better eye for talent who in turn hires a HC (who then hires his own coaching staff).  

Archived